Please do not cut corners with the combat system

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:59 am

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I want this games combat system to be much improved. Oblivion was a fantastic game, there's no denying that, but the combat was extremely shallow and lackluster. I'm asking for a little more depth beyond "slashslashslash blockblockblock slashslashslash," etc.

I want the combat to feel fun. It should be satisfying to survive a fight, or to connect a solid hit. I don't want this to feel like a hack-'n-slash game when I enter combat.

Please don't mess it up.

Otherwise, I'm extremely hyped for this game.

Agreed, i also think they should do something with the magic system, the spellcasting system feels extremly stiff/static. At minimum they at least need to add far more impressive spell-graphics and more types of spells.
As for combat i want better animations, more type of weapons(spears, throwing weapons..) and more variety. Though i think the base of the system they already have is good, so they should just add things rather then make something complete new.
Maeva

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:32 am

Hopefully they won't nerf the combat skills even further :(
matt

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:09 am

So are we talking about something like the Oblivion mod Deadly Reflex?

Is Deadly Reflex combat similar to M&B? I didn't pay M&B but I heard that Deadly Reflex improves Oblivion's combat a _ton_.
Jhenna lee Lizama

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0YM35goSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI5RUKBTZWg&feature=related

That's M&B in a glance. I really think this combat could have been implemented into TES wonderfully, then again maybe not. It's just plain fun, though. :shrug:

Not just random button mashing, you actually have to think. Feints, counters, parries etc. Your mouse controls what direction you swing, what direction you block. You press the attack button, and move your mouse upwards at the same time, and you get an upwards attack. You press the block button at the same time as moving the mouse up, you block upwards. Intuitive. And for an indie game, the AI wasn't actually that bad in 1v1 combat, or maybe I just svck. The AI is a bit clumsy when you get 100v100 combat, but that doesn't happen in TES.

Thank you, now I'll have to buy the second game, Warband. :rolleyes: :mad: :P
Cody Banks

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm

So are we talking about something like the Oblivion mod Deadly Reflex?

Is Deadly Reflex combat similar to M&B? I didn't pay M&B but I heard that Deadly Reflex improves Oblivion's combat a _ton_.

I have not played Oblivion with Deadly Reflexes.

But M&B's combat is all about the feel of the combat scene, as you swinging a sword toward the head of the guys in front of your mount as you ride that mount toward them.

It is all about precision, timing and swinging the mouse in the right direction in the right time, using the left mouse button for attack moves and the right mouse button for defense.

It is hard to master, but if you can do that, it is great.
Becky Palmer

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:45 am

Honestly, TES 4 cpmbat system was ok for me.
Jessie Rae Brouillette

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Agree with the people suggesting M&B combat. If Bethesda can gain 'inspiration' from that and make it look nice in first-person view then we'll have a winner.
Lalla Vu

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:04 am

What about Assassins Creed Brotherhood ? The combat system in ACB is awesome !
But i think the combat system of M&B is the most realistic.
:toughninja:

How about you ask me again several weeks after it's released for the real systems? :bolt:
I don't own a console, and can't justify buying console + TV + renting larger accomodations to play games...

Seriously. I won't know until some arbitrary time after the PC port comes out.
Luis Longoria

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:18 am

Honestly, I just don't like Morrowind's combat. Dice rolls are all right in third person when you're somewhat detached from the action, but in first I just hate the idea you can miss repeatedly and there's not a damn thing you can do about it except keep clicking. Yes. I put God only knows how many hours into the game both vanilla and modded.

My gripe with Oblivion's combat was that yes, you could stand there and wail on someone for ten minutes before you killed them - but it wasn't necessarily the combat system's fault. It was that goofy "everyone levels with you" system that managed to kill both combat and exploration in one fell swoop. ("Finally killed him! Crap, another Iron Sword. How long until I hit level ten already?") Combat in TES has always been fairly simplistic, and that's fine with me. Just make the challenges variable - so I can get stomped at level 1 if I take on something vastly out of my reach, or dominate lower level enemies once I become skilled - and I'm happy.
Leah

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:12 am

How about you ask me again several weeks after it's released for the real systems? :bolt:
I don't own a console, and can't justify buying console + TV + renting larger accomodations to play games...

Seriously. I won't know until some arbitrary time after the PC port comes out.

Brotherhoods combat is the same or very similar to AC2's combat, which is already out on PC. You can play that to get a feel for it.
Valerie Marie

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:41 pm

Brotherhoods combat is the same or very similar to AC2's combat, which is already out on PC. You can play that to get a feel for it.

After 74.9 hours of it, I think I've got the hang of how it works :snoring:
It's all block and counter to win. Brotherhood is supposed to remedy that (with combo kills, which are not TES-like, in my arrogant opinion), but the fact is that the combat is only great for up to 3-4 enemies up through AC2. Once you pass that threshold, it's tedious.
Dagan Wilkin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:58 am

After 74.9 hours of it, I think I've got the hang of how it works :snoring:
It's all block and counter to win. Brotherhood is supposed to remedy that (with combo kills, which are not TES-like, in my arrogant opinion), but the fact is that the combat is only great for up to 3-4 enemies up through AC2. Once you pass that threshold, it's tedious.

You are doing it wrong.

My AC2 combat experience was pretty varied. Assassinate or throw a few knives to even my chances, dodge, kick, slice 'em up. Big guys coming after me? Taunt the lower tier guard to make him attack first. Counter when I need to take a weapon or I meet one of those nimble guards, but other than that stay aggressive and make the rest run away out of fear.

You just gotta think like an assassin. :P
Céline Rémy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:57 am

This is my biggest concern. IMO, the perfect combat system would be a blend of OB's existing combat, mixed with the intuitive feel and nature of Mount and Blades combat system. I may be biased, as M&B is extremely addicting to me, mainly due to the awesome combat.

Just go play the game. Put it on manual swing direction, and manual block direction. Ultimate immersion in the combat experience.

Personally, I hated M&B's system with a burning passion. It didn't feel fluid or intuitive, just frustrating.
Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:32 am

I just hope that they make the combat more character skill based this time around. Kinda like Morrowind's system with the proper animations and sfx.
Christine

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:17 pm

I would like to have a combation of Morrowind and Oblivion. Oblivion′s combat system was fine, but i would like to have some dice rolls on parry,block and dodge effects (animated if possible) also i think fatigue should be more important, but not as annoying as in Morrowind (If fatigue is low, you cannot hit at all and your spell casting chance is lowered). I would also like to have spellfailure chance a comeback. I think it was a cool element, but i think it could be less harsh than in Morrowind. Morrowinds casting failure made using Magic quite tedious, but it felt really powerful when you could cast some über spells and high casting chance. :flamethrower:

Here my two septims..

-Emp-
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:25 pm

I absolutely love the combat of Oblivion, I felt it was raw and very physical. But since that there's a couple of games that have done it even better, Mount & Blade and Demon's Souls. I am sure the combat in Skyrim will be fantastic.
Sophh

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:11 am

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic's combat is pretty nice too.
Kyra

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 am

am I the only person that thought it was ok, if you are pure mele, magic, or arch then yeh your flawed, but if you combine them it gets interesting
Adam Porter

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:28 am

I like Daggerfall's, perhaps with a twist (marked with +)

Down-slash/overhead-swing does more damage, with a lesser chance to hit. +A small chance to break guard & stun for a few seconds. For dealing with warriors.

Side slashes do normal damage, with normal chance to hit. +A small chance to cause a gaping wound = small temporary damage-over-time. For those pesky running archers.

Stabbing does less damage, with a higher chance to hit. + A small chance to double-strike. For dealing quick damage to physically weak mages.

Archers, with well-aimed shots to certain areas, could cause silence, critical hits, or a short stun(which would be just short of a critical hit).

Mages - spell crits of varying types per element.
Tracey Duncan

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:47 pm

As long as my blade cuts into the body instead of hitting some box outside the NPC's avatar then I'm happy.
Project

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Combat system has never been a problem
Difficulty system is a real problem.
Maeva

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:35 am

Agree with the people suggesting M&B combat. If Bethesda can gain 'inspiration' from that and make it look nice in first-person view then we'll have a winner.

I am afraid, having seen the M&B combat videos and having played a lot of Oblivion, that M&B combat might be too "realistic", too much on the "simulation" side, as opposed to the "arcade" approach of Oblivion.

In plain words, M&B system might be too difficult / frustrating for the mainstream / casual customer crowd (which I count myself to be part of). I see how a system like M&B could be fantastic for a player with enough
patience and determination to learn all the ropes. But many people (maybe not the majority on this forum though) expect different things from a game, for better or for worse.

There's a lot room for improvement / tuning of the Oblivion system, but my guess is they won't be going in the direction of making it more realistic at the risk of possibly making it too tedious for the average customer.

I hope I am wrong, though, and they'll come up with a brilliant system that is both simple, realistic and fun to play. Or they will create a setup option to switch between the simple and realistic approach (something like
the hardcoe mode in Fallout: NV, but regarding some combat parameters).

Incidentally, when talking about the combat system, let's stop for a moment and look at the physics system (which is a related topic). It was lovely in Oblivion that you could pick up stuff, throw it around, drag bodies,
etc. but don't you get the feeling that the items (especially weapons) felt too "light" and lacking in inertia? Those swords flying in the air as if they were made of cardboard. And the bodies, behaving like rag dolls,
and falling down after the final strike like they were puppets whose strings have been cut. Lots of room for improvement there, IMO.
Yonah

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:12 am

you couldn't use your shield to bash people which was just stupid because its a massive piece of wood and metal strapped to your arm.

Umm, yes you could. Expert rank Block perk, successfully blocking gave you a chance at performing a shield bash to stagger your foe.
Arnold Wet

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:02 am

If they add the Morrowind thing of doing more damage depending on how you attack, and the various animations that were missing in Oblivion (stabbing), but keep Oblivions player skill over numbers system I'll be happy.
Luis Reyma

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:19 pm

If the combat was similar to or better than that in Dark Messiah:Might and Magic, then I would be more than satisfied. :liplick:

Yes! Thank you! Dark Messiah had excellent combat imo. Very satisfying when you were hacking up orcs and what not :)
Jennifer Munroe

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim