Please do not cut corners with the combat system

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:17 am

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic's combat is pretty nice too.

This was fun to use, but it doesn't feel like it would fit, to me. Then again, Zenimax now owns Arkane Studios, so it could be a possibility.

If they add the Morrowind thing of doing more damage depending on how you attack, and the various animations that were missing in Oblivion (stabbing), but keep Oblivions player skill over numbers system I'll be happy.

You could stab in Oblivion. It was an unlockable move. I hated Morrowind's combat. Anything but that.
Rik Douglas

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:30 am

Anything but Morrowing or dice rolls affecting accuracy. I liked that someone mentioned Condemned 2, as inspiration for a first person combat system with indepth melee, that's a good choice. Also Dark Messiah had a fairly robust 1st person combat system and is a good recommendation.
Ymani Hood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:31 am

I was perfectly content with Oblivion's combat system, especially once I integrated magic into it. After all, anything was an improvement from Morrowind.
My blood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:14 am

I just hope that they make the combat more character skill based this time around. Kinda like Morrowind's system with the proper animations and sfx.

Hopefully they will make it better! :D
I don't want to be stabbing someones face 30000 times and not or barely make a scratch. :dry:
Oblivion combat was OK it just needed more alot more.
mike

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 am

I want the whole aspect of if you hit or miss to be determined by the player skill, the strength of the hit, the chances of perhaps a bounce off the aponents armor, or the chance of making someone fall down to be based off of the stats of the character. In other words if Im a high level with blunt I wanna be able to send people flying onto their backs when I hit them, or if I hit their shield arm I want them to loose their ability to block since I broke their arm with the strength of my hit(that all depends on the level of the aponent of course). If Im a low level in blunt I want my attacks to be slower and weaker due to less ability with the weapon, but if Im able to skillfully get a downward strike to someones head I dont want my kill shot to be a miss because of a dice roll. Same goes with blade, a high level blade skill should be able to have a lesser chance of my sword bouncing off of their armor and causing minimal damage. Like I said I want the hit or miss to come down to me, the strength and effect of the hit should come down to the stats. Also if im fighting a higher level guy and im a lower level, yes I should have a chance to win if im skillful enough BUT it will be like difficulty put on a multiplier due to him being higher he will be dodging attacks left and right while alot of my attacks will prolly end up being weak from bouncing. The only way to win there would to be able to get yourself out of the way of his attacks since he would prolly wreck you in a few. Same goes with you being high level and them being high level. In the end a fight comes down to the overall skill of the person and the other person. In the case of this game its a mix of indavidual skill and character skill meshing.
Chelsea Head

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:41 am

Umm, yes you could. Expert rank Block perk, successfully blocking gave you a chance at performing a shield bash to stagger your foe.

yea a chance to do it, it wasn't something you could choose to do, it randomly happened, and it was stupid it did 0 damage... if I smack you in the face with a shield you'll feel it and it'd probably knock you out, if not I'm breaking face bones for sure which should translate to some amount of damage in an rpg. Shields were more important in combat than any rpg gives them credit for, even the massive roman shield was used to smash feet or hook under an opponents chin lift him up and stab him, they aren't just for blocking and most warrior cultures knew it.
Unstoppable Judge

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:13 pm

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I want this games combat system to be much improved. Oblivion was a fantastic game, there's no denying that, but the combat was extremely shallow and lackluster. I'm asking for a little more depth beyond "slashslashslash blockblockblock slashslashslash," etc.

I want the combat to feel fun. It should be satisfying to survive a fight, or to connect a solid hit. I don't want this to feel like a hack-'n-slash game when I enter combat.

Please don't mess it up.

Otherwise, I'm extremely hyped for this game.

So you want something like Dark Messiah? Now that Zenimax bought Arkane I really hope they improved the combat for Skyrim.
ONLY ME!!!!

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:42 am

So you want something like Dark Messiah? Now that Zenimax bought Arkane I really hope they improved the combat for Skyrim.

I hope for something between M&B and Condemned 2.
Condemned 2 definitely had the best feeling melee combat in a first person game in my opinion. M&B is also pretty good, but it's missing that kinetic satisfaction of nailing a good blow to your opponent.

Combat system has never been a problem
Difficulty system is a real problem.

I completely disagree. All raising the difficulty level did was change it from "slashslashslashslashslash" to "blockblockblockblockblock slash blockblock... etc."
jeremey wisor

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:02 am

I too would like to see an improvement on Oblivions combat system, but more of an upgrade ( better flow) from what they already had, rather then a bunch of fancy twirling, which were not used in real combat except in Chinese theater, I want realistic feel to it, and as much control as possible, not computer animated super moves with oversized weapons, I didnt even use Daedric hammers/2H axes or hammers/2H axes of any kind as far as that goes, because they were silly as to size/weight ratio for a human to use, a real war hammer had a long handle with a head on it maybe at most 2x the size of a small 1 handed sledge hammer.

I would like to see exhaustion be included in the combat system in a more realistic way, and maybe some of the moves they had in two worlds like the dirt kicking, and 1 I havent seen in any game I can think of head bash in close in fighting ( i mean where you bash the foes face with your forhead ).
Motionsharp

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:07 am

Man, I would love to be thrown back in time with like 100 of the toughest guys that reply to this 1 forum, give us a month and we would fight as well as legionnaires from Rome herself lol, at least from the knowledge we have of ancient fighting techniques, people study for years at places like west point to learn the stuff we find fun/useful info lol.
Chris Cross Cabaret Man

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:50 am

The hope is

Skyrims Combat system is a tie of Morrowind and oblivions.

If one hold their mouse click, and hold the sword. releasing it yeilds the strongest swipe the char can muster.

Holding for a while and then letting go would be the equivilant of a held mouse click in Oblivion, and tapping it would yeild lighter faster swings.

The directional keys, or mouse direction governs where and how one swings.

The sword actually CONNECTS to the enemy, not some annoying invisible block, in Oblivion when in first person makes the sword looks like its always missing the enemy.

different styles of fighting for different weapons Longswords, shortswords, Claymores, Axes. Maces, knifes, staffs, polearms, spears, hand to hand.

Kicking, shield bashing, parry's, mid-use of hand to hand during sword fighting.

Kinetic forces, actually seeing enemies stagger for steps away, not in place. possibilities to lose balance where one Gains/loses edge and or falls mid-fight.

recoveries when disadvantaged such as rolling on the ground after a knockdown, blocking an attack and kicking away the oppertunist

active dodging evasions.

Dual wielding would be nice :D

essentially making combat a dire situation, not a chore...like In Oblivion. it didnt feel fluid, or near seamless, it felt rigid and near turnbased even

That is the hope, but all we can do is wait and see yah?
CHangohh BOyy

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim