Please do not cut corners with the combat system

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:21 am

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I want this games combat system to be much improved. Oblivion was a fantastic game, there's no denying that, but the combat was extremely shallow and lackluster. I'm asking for a little more depth beyond "slashslashslash blockblockblock slashslashslash," etc.

I want the combat to feel fun. It should be satisfying to survive a fight, or to connect a solid hit. I don't want this to feel like a hack-'n-slash game when I enter combat.

Please don't mess it up.

Otherwise, I'm extremely hyped for this game.
xx_Jess_xx

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:14 am

I agree. Combos or something of sort are needed
Russell Davies

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:45 pm

Bethesda may be doomed to get complaints about their combat systems for an eternity. :P
Robert

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 pm

I agree too. All the slash slash slash, haha, you dead got pretty boring.
GRAEME

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:12 am

As far as first person melee combat is concerned, I always look to Condemned 2.
I think they got it best so far. It was fun, it was satisfying, and it had some depth to it.
Ilona Neumann

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:56 am

This is my biggest concern. IMO, the perfect combat system would be a blend of OB's existing combat, mixed with the intuitive feel and nature of Mount and Blades combat system. I may be biased, as M&B is extremely addicting to me, mainly due to the awesome combat.

Just go play the game. Put it on manual swing direction, and manual block direction. Ultimate immersion in the combat experience.
brenden casey

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:52 am

I think they should add counterblows (for both, the player and AI) similiar to what Risen did. Unlockable for the PC at 50 skill, or so. Would add a nice touch to the challenge and depth of combat if done right.
Miragel Ginza

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:14 am

I think they should add counterblows (for both, the player and AI) similiar to what Risen did. Unlockable for the PC at 50 skill, or so. Would add a nice touch to the challenge and depth of combat if done right.

I'm going to have to look up a video of that.
Kate Schofield

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Yeah, counters/parries would be nice.
Kari Depp

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:51 am

Why don't we just import Assassin's Creed's combat system while we're at it?
Chris Guerin

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0YM35goSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI5RUKBTZWg&feature=related

That's M&B in a glance. I really think this combat could have been implemented into TES wonderfully, then again maybe not. It's just plain fun, though. :shrug:

Not just random button mashing, you actually have to think. Feints, counters, parries etc. Your mouse controls what direction you swing, what direction you block. You press the attack button, and move your mouse upwards at the same time, and you get an upwards attack. You press the block button at the same time as moving the mouse up, you block upwards. Intuitive. And for an indie game, the AI wasn't actually that bad in 1v1 combat, or maybe I just svck. The AI is a bit clumsy when you get 100v100 combat, but that doesn't happen in TES.
Katie Pollard

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:36 am

I'm going to have to look up a video of that.

Go ahead. It doesn't look like much, but it really gave the combat in that game a good feel (and one felt really rewarded when it was learned). At least with swords, I haven't tried it with staves, axes or hammers, but I doubt it differs much. Overall Risen had pretty well realised combat system (not without flaws, though) for melee, ranged was crud though.
James Hate

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:34 pm

yea I think next gen rpgs need to step away from D&D rules where its all character skill and player skill means nothing, and give us a little more to do in combat. counters, stuns, knock downs should all be unlocked at certain skill levels. after playing assasins creed and Splinter cell conviction I'm a little bit in love with counters and such.
Ludivine Dupuy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:00 am

I'm guessing the combat's going to be better than Oblivion, but at the time when Oblivion came out the combat was pretty interesting, as it wasn't that many games that provided a better combat system. For it's time, Oblivions combat was pretty interesting.
Niisha

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:08 am

M&B does have fantastic combat. It's the only game I've ever played that made combat THAT fun. The fact that it made mounted combat, let alone large medieval army combat, fantastic is a whole other thing, IMO.

I'm trying to picture that combat in first person. Man. That would be so fricken awesome.
Philip Rua

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:52 am

I actually like Oblivions combat system just fine, it was very realistic for the most part, i mean unless every ones a third degree black belt with a bunch of moves.
Kahli St Dennis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 am

I actually like Oblivions combat system just fine, it was very realistic for the most part, i mean unless every ones a third degree black belt with a bunch of moves.

Umm no it wasn't realistic because an unarmored person can not stand 50+ blows from ANY sword, you couldn't even trip your opponent which is a major turning point in any fight, you couldn't use your shield to bash people which was just stupid because its a massive piece of wood and metal strapped to your arm, the Spartans, the Romans, pretty much any decent warrior culture you can think of taught their soldiers how to use the shield as a weapon and how to take the fight to the ground to end it quickly.
Rhiannon Jones

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:02 am

Demon's Soul's combat system.
Matt Gammond

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:16 am

Second vote.

Mouse + Keyboard can have any scheme. Perfect for controllers. Multiple animations for each weapon type. Fun as hell but very tactical.
Symone Velez

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:21 pm

Take into consideration Deadly Reflexes mod for Oblivion. That added great stuff to OB's combat system. Decapitations, dismemberment, timing blocks, ducking, shield bash, shield charge made my OB game a lot better.
Shirley BEltran

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:51 am

Agreed! Though hopefully, the difficulty is a bit more forgiving.

Though realistically, I love the hell out of Morrowind and the combat in the game has a particular charm about it. I'm impartial to whatever system Bethesda decides to go with because ultimately, I'm not here for a "beat em up." That's never what TES has been about.
Kristina Campbell

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 pm

god of war combat system or assassin's creed or combination thereof. heck anything thats more than hack, slash, hack really will do.
..xX Vin Xx..

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0YM35goSE

M&B combat is great fun, but I just don't think it's suited to TES. Too actiony. We need to fall back on what makes RPGs so great - stats and dice rolls. I want to feel like the game is actually calculating my attacks while I make them. And someone with a proficiency of 20 in blunt weapons and 100 in short blades should never do more damage with a warhammer than they do with a dagger!
Lisha Boo

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:44 am

3rd vote. Would make combat very interesting.
lydia nekongo

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:50 pm

Assassin's Creed's comabt system is only good for one strike. That initial ambush. Then it's "blockblockblockblockcounter" rinse and repeat. I have 77 hours in AC2, love playing it, but the combat is just... Use Oblivion's before AC-style combat. Blocking all night isn't fun.

Dice rolls can die a sad, pathetic, painful death. Ex post facto "you misseded" animations don't cut it. If my sword passes through your head, I hit. There's room to judge (randomly) whether I hit cleanly, or deflected across your armor. But dice better not decide my perfectly timed and positioned strike magically bent around a mudcrab because dice said so. And NEVER? Nope. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Even I can hit a home run off a major league pitcher (but it may take a long time to make it happen, since I'm about a 2 in baseball). Even an inept user of blunt weapons has a chance of making a correct swing at a decent speed with a weapon of overwhelming heft. In fact, solid hits with a warhammer should almost always do more damage. Whether a hit is solid or not... and how quickly hits can be delivered... that's up for grabs...
Harry Leon

Next

Return to V - Skyrim