Sell me the khajiit.

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:00 am

I too enjoy using my claws, I got a pair of Thalmor gloves that ups my unarmed to an extera 140points of dammage.Now I make those who challenge me to a fist fight look foolish :biggrin: But I still keep a pair of daggers just in case.

Are you on PC perhaps? Cause looking at the "Thalmor Gloves" in the game they aren't even Heavy/Light Armor and they have a base Armor of "0". How sir is your statement possible?
Ron

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:59 am

So I'm toying with the idea of rolling a khajiit for the first time ever (first beast race too). Sell it to me!

The main reason I'm hesitant is that I think it's a bit silly that you're allowed to roam inside major cities when all other khajiit are barred, even before they know you are dragonborn. I could quite easily just not enter any cities, were it not for the fact that I intend to roll an archer, who simply has to enter them to buy arrows. And it's not like you can cover your face with a mask and pretend you're human/mer, because of a little thing called a tail. You may think this is pedantic, but I care about things like this.

Second reason is that most khajiit are pseudo-philosophical gypsy skoomaheads :tongue:. Their culture isn't very appealing to me, but that's only from what I observe in-game, as I know very little of their lore.

Third and final reason: in Skyrim they look like masked humans with a tail glued on. I liked their looks better in Morrowind.

According to historians and leading researchers into Gypsy (Romani) identity such as Ian Hancock, Gypsies originate from Rajput style warriors of the Thar desert of region of Rajasthan in Northwest India who protected India but eventually fell against the massive Islamic invasion in approx 1026ad by Muslims Turks from Afghanistan. After defeat they were re-enlisted in to the Muslim army (much like Gurkha were into the British) and sent to the western front on the Islamic Empire with their wives against Armenia. Here they disbanded and sought refuge from the Greek speaking Christian Byzantine Empire in what is now Turkey which is how they then came to be in Europe. Most Gypsies can still speak a Rajasthani originating language to this day.

Try imagining the warriors of Elsweyr more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e82Umn4g8MI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZ0_uLySmA

As for their look in Morrowind. Beast folk were rubbish as they could only where part armor. The new look is ace.
Ricky Meehan

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Sell me the khajiit.

that's gonna be 2000 septims each, cheers
Beast Attire

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:17 am

Sell me the khajiit.

that's gonna be 2000 septims each, cheers

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!

Nobody breaks the law on my watch!
Monika Krzyzak

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 pm

One assassin who slips into Riften to make a kill and one mage who lives in a city with no walls and precious few guards. That's pretty slim authority for the proposition that it is limited to the caravans because of the moon sugar. You got anything else? Seems like if Khajiit were allowed in cities there would be at least one Khajiit living in a walled city somewhere in Skyrim.
Ahkari was the first Khajiit caravaneer I ever spoke to. She told me that the caravans were not allowed inside the cities because the Nords thought they were all thieves. When I asked her why she was in Skyrim, she told me that she had to flee Elsewyr because she was a wanted by the law, and that she had to flee Cyrodiil for the same reason. Kind of makes me see why the Nords do not trust the Khajiit caravans...
Ella Loapaga

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:36 pm

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!

Nobody breaks the law on my watch!

lol fine you caught me, take me to jail
Rodney C

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:39 am

Ahkari was the first Khajiit caravaneer I ever spoke to. She told me that the caravans were not allowed inside the cities because the Nords thought they were all thieves. When I asked her why she was in Skyrim, she told me that she had to flee Elsewyr because she was a wanted by the law, and that she had to flee Cyrodiil for the same reason. Kind of makes me see why the Nords do not trust the Khajiit caravans...

I talked with her but it was a ling time after I had spoken with Ri'saad. First impressions are what stick with you and I had a different first impression when I spoke with Ri'saad. Now I was playing a Khajiit at the time so that may also have affected my first impression. I am going back to talk to Ri'saad next time I see him and Ysolda as well, since those were the first two I spoke with to see what those two really said. It has been a while sine I have spoken to either of them about Khajiit.
Brandon Wilson

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Night-eye is nice if you use sneak. I find the Khajit's tail movement almost hypnotic when your character walks or runs. I also had a lot of fun creating the face/head of my feline character, Klaaz.
Laura

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:46 am

lol fine you caught me, take me to jail

Sure. We're a bit full up right now, so you'll have to share a cell with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vqGH0lm4vc. We're not sure how he's hovering like that.
Del Arte

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:58 am

I talked with her but it was a ling time after I had spoken with Ri'saad. First impressions are what stick with you and I had a different first impression when I spoke with Ri'saad. Now I was playing a Khajiit at the time so that may also have affected my first impression. I am going back to talk to Ri'saad next time I see him and Ysolda as well, since those were the first two I spoke with to see what those two really said. It has been a while sine I have spoken to either of them about Khajiit.
I just talked to her again out of curiosity. She does not say it is the caravans specifically the Nords do not allow in the cities. She just says "us". So it is not clear if she means all Khajiit, or just the caravaneers. She goes on to say that it is because the Nords think they are all thieves and skooma dealers.
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:43 pm

One of my characters is a Khajiit who is an archer and does not enter cities that have guards on duty at closed gates. I allow him to enter villages without gates, and you could buy arrows there. However, I never buy arrows--I'm finding that I collect enough from bandits and whatnot to keep me going.

I've -never- been able to sustain my archers from kills alone. The Drunken Huntsman in Whiterun is pretty much my sole source (The fletcher in Solitude is useless, he sells like 8 arrows at a time)

Anyway, fairly certain you can come up with some kind of characteristic that would allow your 'jiit entry.
For example; don't dress in leathers, at all. Makes you look like a thief. Enter towns in some of the most normal or "fine" clothing possible. A stop at the Radiant Raiment might be necessary.

...You know. This idea makes me want to roll a Khajiit now, too. But I've tried, and it's hard for me to make a face I like. I hate to sound racist, but they all look the same :/
Kayla Bee

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 am

So I'm toying with the idea of rolling a khajiit for the first time ever

this scent is new
Haley Merkley

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:21 am

My Khajiit is a jack-of-all-trades meaning he uses swords, bows, maces, axes, and wears heavy amour, light amour, is an assassin, mage, thief, warrior, and trader, and a Master smith member of every playable faction and a were-wolf
and no stands in his way, hes related to all my other characters from all the other TES games :biggrin:
the Khajiit are a great race to play as and i love their accent :cool:
Zualett

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Humanoid enemies telling you they're going to skin you. Skin them first.
Sarah Evason

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:25 am

Although it's probably game mechanics. It's the only thing that makes sense in terms of why the PC is let into cities as a khajiit(Before they're recognized as dragonborn) especially since they've got scripts that will stop the PC from entering a city and make them get questioned by a guard first.

It's also the only reason I can think of why you can find single khajiit entering cities, but the groups(Caravans) are not. Argonians(Which tend to be distrusted by everyone in the series) seem to have little trouble entering cities.

Well, I went back and spoke to Ysolda. She said that Khajiit were not trusted because they had the reputation of being thieves and skooma smugglers and for this reason they were not allowed within City "walls." Although the conversation started off discussing caravans, she seemed to talking about Khajiit the race, when she said they were not allowed in the "walls",

Your theory is plausible and there is a lot of support for it, but like many things in TES lore, there are contradictions and support for another view. Sure, there is some inconsistency about the PC being allowed to enter cities and the fact that the PC is the Dragonborn is not a perfect explanation since the PC can go to other cities before going to Whiterun and be allowed in, although typically only after they bribe or pursuade a guard. Although most players will go to Whiterun before other cities, where they are let in because they are an eyewitness to a Dragon attack and then help the jarl, discover they are Dragonborn, etc.

City "walls" are a protective barrier. The Khajiit in Winterhold is not living inside City "walls" because Winterhold has no walls. The Khajiit running the lighthouse is allowed to keep his lonely job well outside the City walls and away from most folk. Then we have the assassin Khajiit who enters Riften, a City with "walls" that is controlled by the thieves guild. The guards in that City are corrupt as evidenced by your initial conversation with Brynjolf. It is easy to imagine that they could be bribed to let a Khajiit enter the City for a limited period of time and limited purpose.

I am not saying that I am right and you are wrong. Far from it. All I am saying is that the information from the gameworld is not sufficient to make a definitive statement one way or the other and that there is room for differing points of view on the subject. The evidence that Khajiit as a race are not permitted inside the City walls is a lot stronger than the evidence that Talos was a Bretton, yet you still hear people defending that position. That is what is great about TES lore. It is not cut and dried.
Susan Elizabeth

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:09 pm

I like Khajiit because they're definitely not afraid of the f**king police.
Also they're frequently too stoned to care if you put a collar on them.

Unlike Argonians... who are horrible, slimy, traitorous fetchers.
Only Argonian I ever liked was Big Head.
Sunny Under

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Well, I went back and spoke to Ysolda. She said that Khajiit were not trusted because they had the reputation of being thieves and skooma smugglers and for this reason they were not allowed within City "walls." Although the conversation started off discussing caravans, she seemed to talking about Khajiit the race, when she said they were not allowed in the "walls",

Your theory is plausible and there is a lot of support for it, but like many things in TES lore, there are contradictions and support for another view. Sure, there is some inconsistency about the PC being allowed to enter cities and the fact that the PC is the Dragonborn is not a perfect explanation since the PC can go to other cities before going to Whiterun and be allowed in, although typically only after they bribe or pursuade a guard. Although most players will go to Whiterun before other cities, where they are let in because they are an eyewitness to a Dragon attack and then help the jarl, discover they are Dragonborn, etc.

City "walls" are a protective barrier. The Khajiit in Winterhold is not living inside City "walls" because Winterhold has no walls. The Khajiit running the lighthouse is allowed to keep his lonely job well outside the City walls and away from most folk. Then we have the assassin Khajiit who enters Riften, a City with "walls" that is controlled by the thieves guild. The guards in that City are corrupt as evidenced by your initial conversation with Brynjolf. It is easy to imagine that they could be bribed to let a Khajiit enter the City for a limited period of time and limited purpose.

I am not saying that I am right and you are wrong. Far from it. All I am saying is that the information from the gameworld is not sufficient to make a definitive statement one way or the other and that there is room for differing points of view on the subject. The evidence that Khajiit as a race are not permitted inside the City walls is a lot stronger than the evidence that Talos was a Bretton, yet you still hear people defending that position. That is what is great about TES lore. It is not cut and dried.

A lot of things in skyrim seem to be pretty inconsistant. Especially if they involve the player. It's possible either way I suppose.
Travis

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:10 am

A lot of things in skyrim seem to be pretty inconsistant. Especially if they involve the player. It's possible either way I suppose.
One of those things I find hilarious about Elder Scrolls lore is that a HUGE amount of it is based on what NPCs have either said in-game or written in the in-game books... and so many people take these sources completely at face value. Like if Bethesda had added a note lying on the ground in some cave or other (by a skeleton, obviously) saying there was a fluorescent pink dragon spewing streams of flower petals... at least one person (probably several) would suddenly declare it canon and go to write an entire UESP page about pink, flower-spewing dragons like it is a foregone conclusion that the dead person's note wasn't, in fact, written on the cusp of insanity.

Personally, I remain rather skeptical of most Elder Scrolls lore that doesn't actually happen in real-time in the games themselves... as it is guaranteed filtered through several gabbing mouths and at least one insane dead person's diary somewhere. And I'm pretty sure the guys at Bethesda are aware that, on average, people talk a lot of crap..... especially fantasy-genre superstitious idiots.
Ross Thomas

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:51 am

Again, what is your source? I was under the impression that all Khajiit were banned. You see Argonians in some cities, but no Khajiits whatsoever.

Shavari and J'zargo are both allowed in the cities. Other than traders (the caravans) and bandits, you don't see a lot of Khajiit because there is as much reason for them to be in Skyrim as there is for a Nord to be in Vvardenfell. The climate is very different from their own homeland. But Skyrim has never been very welcoming to foreigners.
LittleMiss

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:40 pm

Shavari and J'zargo are both allowed in the cities. Other than traders (the caravans) and bandits, you don't see a lot of Khajiit because there is as much reason for them to be in Skyrim as there is for a Nord to be in Vvardenfell. The climate is very different from their own homeland. But Skyrim has never been very welcoming to foreigners.
I don't get why Tamriel's only blatantly furry race comes from a desert anyway, especially given just how hairy most of them are in the first place. They look like they practically belong in Skyrim... yet they're the desert race. There are more Argonians about the place than Khajiit, and shouldn't they be cold-blooded? Well, I suppose they needn't necessarily be... but still... Bethesda's wanton disregard for biology is much akin to Shadowmere's wanton disregard for physics.
Ross

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:27 pm

I think it would be weird to play a Khajiit, being the only one allowed in the cities would kill role playing for me.
Krista Belle Davis

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:48 am

I don't get why Tamriel's only blatantly furry race comes from a desert anyway, especially given just how hairy most of them are in the first place. They look like they practically belong in Skyrim... yet they're the desert race. There are more Argonians about the place than Khajiit, and shouldn't they be cold-blooded? Well, I suppose they needn't necessarily be... but still... Bethesda's wanton disregard for biology is much akin to Shadowmere's wanton disregard for physics.

They're no hairier than large African felines. Also, I'd like to see you survive one night in the Saharan desert wearing nothing but swimming trunks and a t-shirt.

EDIT: also, as you can see from my sig, the sale has been made!
Kelvin

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 am

Strangely enough the ones you do meet in skyrim complain about it being too cold for most khajiit.
Liv Staff

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Elder Scrolls physics and laws do not apply to Earth laws, always remember that.

Well, having fur doesn't mean that they would be hot, rather it protects them from the cold desert nights.

Argonians are descendants of a species of ancient trees, not lizards.
Ells

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 pm

I've never played a Khajiit or an Orc. I remember in Oblivion I wanted to try an Argoninan because I'd never played a beast class in a single player game before so I made this red and black dragon looking Argonian who I decided to make him a Shadowscale and it was awesome. I loved it for some reason and I liked the fact I could jump into water without needing a potion, spell or equipment to breathe underwater. If I ever make another thief styled class which I probably won't I will make it a Khajiit just to try it out. Though I'd probably rather be an Argonian again haha.
james kite

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim