Sell me the khajiit.

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:30 am

They're no hairier than large African felines. Also, I'd like to see you survive one night in the Saharan desert wearing nothing but swimming trunks and a t-shirt.
I'd manage the night better than the day at least. Sunlight and I are not on the best of terms... let alone the heat.

Strangely enough the ones you do meet in skyrim complain about it being too cold for most khajiit.
Indeed, despite half of them looking rather like lynxes / bobcats....

Elder Scrolls physics and laws do not apply to Earth laws, always remember that.
The degree to which they don't can seriously break suspension of disbelief sometimes. There is barely even any consistency from one game to the next.

Well, having fur doesn't mean that they would be hot, rather it protects them from the cold desert nights.
Perhaps you should take a look at some desert-dwelling real-world mammals. Just saying. They tend to have very short, sandy fur.... something found only in a minority of Khajiit.
JUST SAYING... of course. I just prefer to believe that Elsweyr is mostly jungles and only a little bit deserty.... not that jungles are much better, really.

Argonians are descendants of a species of ancient trees, not lizards.
Are you saying they're plants?
xxLindsAffec

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:34 am

I don't get why Tamriel's only blatantly furry race comes from a desert anyway, especially given just how hairy most of them are in the first place. They look like they practically belong in Skyrim... yet they're the desert race. There are more Argonians about the place than Khajiit, and shouldn't they be cold-blooded? Well, I suppose they needn't necessarily be... but still... Bethesda's wanton disregard for biology is much akin to Shadowmere's wanton disregard for physics.

I suppose they wanted cats with exotic accents, funny drugs and poetic descriptions of... well, sand.
patricia kris

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:26 am

The degree to which they don't can seriously break suspension of disbelief sometimes. There is barely even any consistency from one game to the next.

Perhaps you should take a look at some desert-dwelling real-world mammals. Just saying. They tend to have very short, sandy fur.... something found only in a minority of Khajiit.
JUST SAYING... of course. I just prefer to believe that Elsweyr is mostly jungles and only a little bit deserty.... not that jungles are much better, really.

Are you saying they're plants?

IThe degree to which they don't can seriously break suspension of disbelief sometimes. There is barely even any consistency from one game to the next.

Exactly. But how can you compare the fur of Khajiit to that of real-world animals? Lore does not describe the texture of their fur, and it could vary, after all, there are over 20 sub-species of Khajiit ranging from house cats to giant tigers. Maybe the ones we've seen outside of Elsweyr are less suited to live in the desert/jungle environment.

As to your question about Argonians being plants: In a way, yes.
Roanne Bardsley

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:38 am

OK, so the sale has been made - but allow me to mention my sellsword Khajiit, Rhiit'san.

Skills:
Archery
Heavy Armor
Speech

Steed stone.

I dabbled in 1-handed at first, and still carry a couple weapons for times when I feel like I need the extra reach, but really, the claws are fine - and since I picked up that stagger perk in Archery I don't have much trouble deciding when I want to get in someone's face.

Also did some Sneaking early on, but I don't think I perked it at all.

He's a run-&-gun archer, pure & simple. Does jobs for cash. Is a svcker for a pretty face (helps Saadia). Currently in Morthal, quartered at the local inn thanks to the income from a few bounties for the jarl there.

It's pretty great actually; archery keeps foes at a distance, and heavy armor means he can get in the scrum when needed.

Only working up 3 skills keeps levelling nice and slow. Still, mages are trouble - his one death occurred at the hands of some ascended necromancer (WTF?!) at a fort which ice spiked him a jillion times before he could dodge. Hence Speech - get good prices on all the potions needed to stay alive.

I originally planned him to be a Dead is Dead character, but I think I'll keep going back to him every now & then. Too much fun.
Nikki Morse

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:58 pm

I don't get why Tamriel's only blatantly furry race comes from a desert anyway, especially given just how hairy most of them are in the first place. They look like they practically belong in Skyrim... yet they're the desert race. There are more Argonians about the place than Khajiit, and shouldn't they be cold-blooded? Well, I suppose they needn't necessarily be... but still... Bethesda's wanton disregard for biology is much akin to Shadowmere's wanton disregard for physics.

TES is full of inconsistencies. Plant people that can breath underwater and furry cats that don't like the cold. One need not look further than the snow leopard, the Siberian Tiger and in the cougar (mountain lion) for examples of real world cats that are not all that different genetically speaking from their tropical and savannah counterparts, yet have no problem living and thriving in areas with much snow and freezing temperatures during the winter. Even in Skyrim you've got your snowy sabercats.

Why the Khajiit in Skyrim constantly complain about the cold is a mystery to me. One would think that their fur would grow thicker after one or two Skyrim winters. But that is TES for you, no consistency. Sometimes I think they do it on purpose just to frustrate serious players and spark contentious debates.
Myles

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Exactly. But how can you compare the fur of Khajiit to that of real-world animals? Lore does not describe the texture of their fur, and it could vary, after all, there are over 20 sub-species of Khajiit ranging from house cats to giant tigers. Maybe the ones we've seen outside of Elsweyr are less suited to live in the desert/jungle environment.
The reason Bethesda will never make an Elder Scrolls game set in Elsweyr.... aside from the title AND the fact it would basically be one huge drug trip:
Hot Senche-Raht on Alfiq action.
I have probably just ruined this thread for everyone.
(Or maybe Bethesda were on drugs when they decided to make that thing about Khajiit forms and the moon phases canon... as the implications are downright horrifying.)

As to your question about Argonians being plants: In a way, yes.
So fine for Vegetarians to eat? >=D
Hayley O'Gara

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:53 pm

The reason Bethesda will never make an Elder Scrolls game set in Elsweyr.... aside from the title AND the fact it would basically be one huge drug trip:
Or for that matter what happens if an Alfiq Khajiit gives birth when the moons are full... I get the feeling they really didn't think those varied Khajiit forms through when they decided it was canon.

Have you ever seen someone in the TES series give birth? Or even pregnant people?

Check my sig.
Emma Copeland

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:08 am

(Or maybe Bethesda were on drugs when they decided to make that thing about Khajiit forms and the moon phases canon... as the implications are downright horrifying.)

So fine for Vegetarians to eat? >=D

Everyone but Bosmer, I guess...
Nicholas C

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:09 am

And that was a bit uncalled for...
leigh stewart

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:04 am

Have you ever seen someone in the TES series give birth?

Check my sig.
They talk about it in books sometimes... >_>
Or at least the Khajiit books do.... =D

Everyone but Bosmer, I guess...
Look up the Wild Hunt.
No, nothing to do with Hircine, nor the Spear of Bitter Mercy....
Rather the special Bosmer magic for emergencies when they make everyone (including themselves) all go completely batsh*t-crazy and eat each other....
Rude_Bitch_420

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:26 am

Why the Khajiit in Skyrim constantly complain about the cold is a mystery to me. One would think that their fur would grow thicker after one or two Skyrim winters. But that is TES for you, no consistency. Sometimes I think they do it on purpose just to frustrate serious players and spark contentious debates.

Well the fur on a lion is quite different than the one on a Canada lynx. I don't know to what extent could African felines survive around here in the winter (relating to the cold only, no other factors involved). If I take my nephew to the zoo at some point this summer I'll ask them if they leave the lions out in the winter and I'll post the info there ;-)
Esther Fernandez

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Well the fur on a lion is quite different than the one on a Canada lynx. I don't know to what extent could African felines survive around here in the winter (relating to the cold only, no other factors involved). If I take my nephew to the zoo at some point this summer I'll ask them if they leave the lions out in the winter and I'll post the info there ;-)

I'd be curious to know, but regardless, it seems strange that with 20 different subspecies of Khajiit, none of them can stand the cold (or so we are told in Skyrim). IRL, there are many species of great cats that can survive the cold. I named three in an earlier post and you just named another. In TES there is the snowy sabercat, but none of the 20 Khajiit races have fur suited to providing cold protection? Really?
LuBiE LoU

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:40 am

COMMENTS.

Unlike Argonians... who are

horrible
Wonderful!

Slimy
Scaly!

traitorous
Loyal!

fetchers

You take that back, s'wit!
Natalie Harvey

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:32 pm

The thin fur on an Khajiit would not protect much from cold, yes it helps but not much more than thin clothing, most mammals living in the tropic as fur anyway.
Yes add some clothing and they are warmer than other because the fur keep the clothes away from the skin.
Now we talk about the protective properties of the skimp hide armor and the forsworn armor :o)
Lucky Girl

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:14 am

They have really fluffy tail.
Christine Pane

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 pm

They have really fluffy tail.
Yeah, it appears alot fluffier than the tail from oblivion.
Alkira rose Nankivell

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Indeed, despite half of them looking rather like lynxes / bobcats....
That's probably just due to the developers trying to make them more "Skyrimmy". The Khajiit were more like lions in Oblivion. I personally hate the lynx look.

No, you made it hilarious.
Dan Endacott

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim