TES V Ideas and Suggestions # 145

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:36 pm

So a good dungeon IMO would be a dungeon with a background, a reason for being here other than '' there was another race living here in the past '', the ennemies in it HAVE to be independant-leveled. Dungeons must be interesting to explore even if they're completly empty. I don't know old text written on the wall describing some events or whatever, could be in an unknown language (Some way to translate should be implemented IG though), interesting puzzles, traps maybe even obstacle courses. I want to go in a dungeon to discover stuff, not to train, dungeons are not meant to train, they're meant to explore and discover things forgotten deep inside them.
Svenja Hedrich

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:36 pm

So a good dungeon IMO would be a dungeon with a background, a reason for being here other than '' there was another race living here in the past '', the ennemies in it HAVE to be independant-leveled. Dungeons must be interesting to explore even if they're completly empty. I don't know old text written on the wall describing some events or whatever, could be in an unknown language (Some way to translate should be implemented IG though), interesting puzzles, traps maybe even obstacle courses. I want to go in a dungeon to discover stuff, not to train, dungeons are not meant to train, they're meant to explore and discover things forgotten deep inside them.

That could create alot of different freeform quest.How about ancient cultures and delving deeper into there paths.Not to mention a mini story reguarding a powerful relic.One dungeon could be based ib detail the story of a certain creature.
Markie Mark

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:20 am

Hell yes, that's the whole reason dungeon should exists.
Lexy Dick

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Hell yes, that's the whole reason dungeon should exists.

Yes they should be based like that for the sake of our enjoyment and there should not be repetition. That makes it boring sometimes...
Louise Andrew

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:16 pm

I hate open-endedness.
When I beat the game, I want to see credits roll. Not just any old credits, I want a solid 40 minutes of credits. I want to see tribes in the Amazonian jungles getting thanked.
You beat it once, you beat it. The end. I don't want to continue my fun.
Unless they change their mind, and release some kind of "extended open-endedness" in some overpriced DLC.
Then I'd definitely get that.
Especially if I get some kind of exclusive shield, and a longer lasting lantern if I buy the Collector's Edition.
Unstoppable Judge

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Actually, lore can be reinvented with no explanation other than "The wizards did it".
And it isn't ruining TES, it's making it better.
And I'd be torn up if they made a new series following my ideas.
I very much LIKE TES, but I'd kill it for this new thingy to blossom. Which, let's be real, isn't possible.
I just want Dark Elves + Morrowind + WITCH torture
Or, alternately, Argonians + Club of Artists/Scientists/Doctors and so forth, sketching guns and steam powered TANKS (not Dwemer)

I like the TES world's basics... but, snip snip, it would be better.

Except for reworkings of such magnitude that have no legitimate explanation beyond "the wizards did it" is a piss-poor reworking. If it can't be explained in a logical manner consistent with the basic underpinnings the universe is built around, then it has no place within TES. There are rules, see. Metaphysical building blocks that for the ES universe can no more be violated than square circles or married bachelors or other logical contradictions can exist in real life.

I don't want to add anything to dungeons.
I want them REMOVED.
I find them tasteless.

Then don't go into them, because despite what we argue for or against here, the odds of Bethesda saying, "Oh hey, we decided to get rid of dungeons entirely!" is about as likely as the particles in front of my desk rearranging themselves into a $500 million dollar stack of bills (if the latter actually happens, then you can have your omitted dungeons :P).

What did you find so distasteful about dungeons? The hack-and-slash nature of them? Almost all the skills in these games are geared towards adventuring and killing, or at least exploring to make a profit. All of which fall comfortably within the purpose that dungeons serve.

A good game will have things present in the world that serve as dungeons without actually being seen as dungeons. Morrowind's family tombs, smugglers' caves, ancient strongholds, etc, for example. All of those had a purpose for existing in the world, and an outside explanation for why they were dangerous to enter. Or Fallout's ghoul-infested subway lines, mutant-sprawling DC ruins, raider camps, vaults, and pre-war cities, for yet another example. All of these things are part of the world regardless of their dungeon status, and the world itself provides the explanation for why they are dangerous.

In fact, I woud go so far as to argue that removing dungeons from the world (i.e. removing dangerous areas consistent with the world they are a part of) will create a highly unbelievable and unrealistic atmosphere and game-world. There are always dangers just outside the reach of authority. To not present them would be doing the world a great disservice.
JLG

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:33 am

I hate open-endedness.
When I beat the game, I want to see credits roll. Not just any old credits, I want a solid 40 minutes of credits. I want to see tribes in the Amazonian jungles getting thanked.
You beat it once, you beat it. The end. I don't want to continue my fun.
Unless they change their mind, and release some kind of "extended open-endedness" in some overpriced DLC.
Then I'd definitely get that.
Especially if I get some kind of exclusive shield, and a longer lasting lantern if I buy the Collector's Edition.

TES to me or I think for alot of us is open-endedness thats what sets it apart from the norm RPG for alot of us.
Sheeva

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:12 pm

I smell sarcazms :P
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:19 pm

I smell sarcazms :P

Not trying to be sarcastic I just think alot of us like freeform gameplay. :bigsmile:
Lewis Morel

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:56 pm

Not trying to be sarcastic I just think alot of us like freeform gameplay. :bigsmile:

No, silly, http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1064713&view=findpost&p=15472214 where I smelled sarcazms! :)
Fanny Rouyé

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:26 pm

I think he was talking about jeff.

Edit : Ninja'ed! D:
Rachel Eloise Getoutofmyface

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:55 am

No, silly, http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1064713&view=findpost&p=15472214 where I smelled sarcazms! :)

Ah dont I feel dumb. :poke:
Ana Torrecilla Cabeza

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Haha!
See, I was using reverse psychology to change the devs' minds about what to do with TESV. Should we end it like FO3...hmmm.....should we give you a 2nd place ribbon like Oblivion...hmm......
Of course now that I admitted it, they'll re-change their minds.
Emilie M

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:01 pm

Haha maybe...
QuinDINGDONGcey

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Except for reworkings of such magnitude that have no legitimate explanation beyond "the wizards did it" is a piss-poor reworking. If it can't be explained in a logical manner consistent with the basic underpinnings the universe is built around, then it has no place within TES. There are rules, see. Metaphysical building blocks that for the ES universe can no more be violated than square circles or married bachelors or other logical contradictions can exist in real life.

You mean like Cyrodiils sudden transformation which was explained with "a wizard did it"?
Really gotta ask, if it's OK to change the entire climate, wildlife, plantlife, culture, architecture and agriculture between 2 settings which are only about 4 years difference (in game) then really what IS and is NOT considdered OK?
Claudia Cook

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Oh, Who is up for a whole new series or four of in-game books? :)

Not specifically saying that the old ones should go away, but I am saying that I'd like some of the skill books to become normal books for TESV, and have new skill books added, as well as having new books that are just amusing stories. And, unlike Oblivion, can we make all of the books appear at least once in hard form, and *not* be in one-time-only places?
Chloe Lou

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:56 pm

Some of those skill books were actualy realy good short storys. Good to read.
Channing

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:49 pm

I won't dispute that, DaMuncha, but how many games are we going to have A Dance in Fire taking up 7 skill book slots (and that slightly amuses me. The Argonian Account makes me really laugh). It's time to start making some of these into Omnibus volumes in-game and bringing in new and approximately equally amusing tales :)

HMA's rules on in-game books:

1. Quality over Quantity
2. When you've got good stories, spend the next 4 years making MORE good stories!!!
3. Make sure that someone who blitzed through the game can realistically go back and make a book collection.

Side-note: if you've never done an "All Book Complete" of Oblivion, that's a lot of adventures to have (aside from the random-only ones!)
lucile

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Magic... there needs to be AOE spells and "cone" like spells (things like cone of cold if you ever played Dragon Age)

I made a thread about this kind of thing here: http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1065029

Don't worry, I credited you for the idea:P
Miss K

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:14 pm

Need to have Area Around Caster and Area at Range spells. Also, usable magic items, not just continuous effect and cast when strikes. I'd also like to see things to wear that cast a spell of healing/protection when you're hit bad enough, or something quite different. Yes, DA:O spells are excellent...

The spell making needs to be as good as it was in TES2 or better.
Claire Vaux

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:50 am

Need to have Area Around Caster and Area at Range spells. Also, usable magic items, not just continuous effect and cast when strikes. I'd also like to see things to wear that cast a spell of healing/protection when you're hit bad enough, or something quite different. Yes, DA:O spells are excellent...

The spell making needs to be as good as it was in TES2 or better.

Sounds like you're describing Morrowind almost exactly :grad: (well, besides the area around caster, which I understand is suppose to mean that anyone within the area is let's say being under protection of a shield?there was a way to do this in MW, but not as a constant effect that would move with the caster).
Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Guns are not needed for the evolution of TES series though. I want to see more effort put into lore, depth, and exploration. There is no reason to add nearly useless guns and adding functional guns to an Elder Scrolls game is a signal that casual gamers will be infesting the forums. There is nothing wrong with casual gamers, but TES series should be about depth and complexity, and so the adding of guns is too big of a risk that won't bring about anything beneficial. Sometimes the best inspiration for evolution comes from the past. Rather than introduce guns, Bethesda should add things from previous games. Guns won't result in the progression of TES series, but larger varieties in weapons, joinable factions, and more unique dungeons will. Co-op is a magnet for casual gamers that I see as more of an abomination to TES series than guns. Guns can work as you have mentioned, but there is a very high chance that they would attract casual gamers to TES series, resulting in more casual suggestions for future games. Co-op will definitely bring casual gamers to TES fanbase and it would require TES series to become more action-based and it would take up quite a great deal of valuable resources. Co-op is just wrong, in my opinion. Guns could work the way you suggest they work without being too big of a deal, but it would attract casual gamers and people will want more functional guns. Guns will become too big of a deal, and I still just don't like thought of even primitive guns being added to the game.

i agree, i dont want the progression of tes to get so far that we start having guns. thats too futureistic, i liked living in the past in morrowind, swords and bows, no guns at all!
Yung Prince

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:13 am

You know it still surprises me, people say "we don't want more casual gamers" or "the game will get too easy" but the same time shy away from systems that would pose a actual challange instead of a artifical obstacle whichs only point of existance is to AVOID it.
Dj Matty P

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:48 pm

You mean like Cyrodiils sudden transformation which was explained with "a wizard did it"?
Really gotta ask, if it's OK to change the entire climate, wildlife, plantlife, culture, architecture and agriculture between 2 settings which are only about 4 years difference (in game) then really what IS and is NOT considdered OK?

From what I know it is more like "Talos did it".

But either way it was bull and they should never do it again.
Nienna garcia

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:08 am

From what I know it is more like "Talos did it".

But either way it was bull and they should never do it again.

I don't mind them fixing broken lore.

A jungle seriously?
Hayley Bristow

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion