TES V Ideas and Suggestions # 145

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:50 am

"goddreaming" is right ,I dont mind sixual content either, as long as it isnt overdone.

If I want to play a fat old, long bearded, axe-wielding warrior, who go on monster slay all day, and drink at bars and flirt with ladies all night, then let it be so!!!
Andrew Tarango

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:02 pm

"goddreaming" is right ,I dont mind sixual content either, as long as it isnt overdone.

If I want to play a fat old, long bearded, axe-wielding warrior, who go on monster slay all day, and drink at bars and flirt with ladies all night, then let it be so!!!

My little brother likes playing TES games and a flirting system would take up too many resources for something that is quite unneccessary. sixual content should be limited to what it is in Oblivion.
Julie Ann

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Guns are not needed for the evolution of TES series though. I want to see more effort put into lore, depth, and exploration. There is no reason to add nearly useless guns and adding functional guns to an Elder Scrolls game is a signal that casual gamers will be infesting the forums. There is nothing wrong with casual gamers, but TES series should be about depth and complexity, and so the adding of guns is too big of a risk that won't bring about anything beneficial. Sometimes the best inspiration for evolution comes from the past. Rather than introduce guns, Bethesda should add things from previous games. Guns won't result in the progression of TES series, but larger varieties in weapons, joinable factions, and more unique dungeons will. Co-op is a magnet for casual gamers that I see as more of an abomination to TES series than guns. Guns can work as you have mentioned, but there is a very high chance that they would attract casual gamers to TES series, resulting in more casual suggestions for future games. Co-op will definitely bring casual gamers to TES fanbase and it would require TES series to become more action-based and it would take up quite a great deal of valuable resources. Co-op is just wrong, in my opinion. Guns could work the way you suggest they work without being too big of a deal, but it would attract casual gamers and people will want more functional guns. Guns will become too big of a deal, and I still just don't like thought of even primitive guns being added to the game.

Ok, I have played Fable2 when it first came out, I played while connected to xbox live, when I did I realized that if Oblivion made its online play in the same way then there would be no problem in integrating online or even multiplay online except that it will take up resources. I mean if you haven't tried Fable2 online then please do and then get back to this forum, it kinda works like this if you put it in TESV, you are walking around the world just like in Oblivion/Morrowind, except that there's these floating orbs also running around which you can switch off in the main menu, these floating orbs represent people around the world also playing the game, they are in their own universe just as you are in yours, then if you choose to, you can interact with these orbs, join their game, send stuff, etc, and while you have the orb switch on you can hear people talking if you have a headset, so if you're wandering through a dungeon and you find it boring you can turn the orb switch on and find people also exploring the dungeon in their universe, you can see where they are in the dungeon by looking around and seeing their orbs, you can follow them or lead them to secret doors and secret areas, or you can join their game and help them fight a boss. I would really like to see that system integrated into the next TES game, though according to most people on this forum it will not even be thought about...

Stephen.
Melis Hristina

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Ok, I have played Fable2 when it first came out, I played while connected to xbox live, when I did I realized that if Oblivion made its online play in the same way then there would be no problem in integrating online or even multiplay online except that it will take up resources. I mean if you haven't tried Fable2 online then please do and then get back to this forum, it kinda works like this if you put it in TESV, you are walking around the world just like in Oblivion/Morrowind, except that there's these floating orbs also running around which you can switch off in the main menu, these floating orbs represent people around the world also playing the game, they are in their own universe just as you are in yours, then if you choose to, you can interact with these orbs, join their game, send stuff, etc, and while you have the orb switch on you can hear people talking if you have a headset, so if you're wandering through a dungeon and you find it boring you can turn the orb switch on and find people also exploring the dungeon in their universe, you can see where they are in the dungeon by looking around and seeing their orbs, you can follow them or lead them to secret doors and secret areas, or you can join their game and help them fight a boss. I would really like to see that system integrated into the next TES game, though according to most people on this forum it will not even be thought about...

Stephen.

1. I only have a ps3, so I have no way of playing Fable 2.

2. TES series is not an online game series. Besides, the player character is supposed to be the hero of TES, no one else. How will it work with 1000 player characters? Online play just can't work, and even if it could, it just isn't right.
Darren

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:49 am

1. I only have a ps3, so I have no way of trying that joke of an RPG out(just my opinion).

2. TES series is not an online game series. Besides, the player character is supposed to be the hero of TES, no one else. How will it work with 1000 player characters? Online play just can't work, and even if it could, it just isn't right.

Did you even read what I wrote?...

It works like this, you're in your own universe, completely separated from everyone else, you turn the orb switch on and you're still in your universe, you are the master of your universe, no one else comes to your universe without your permission, they can help you defeat a boss if you invite them into your universe but only you get the rewards... god I can't keep repeating myself, read my last post.

Also sixual content if done right is not overwhelming for a 6 or 10 or 12 year old, it's realism that you find when you walk down a street in real life...

Stephen.
SiLa

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:05 am

Did you even read what I wrote?...

It works like this, you're in your own universe, completely separated from everyone else, you turn the orb switch on and you're still in your universe, you are the master of your universe, no one else comes to your universe without your permission, they can help you defeat a boss if you invite them into your universe but only you get the rewards... god I can't keep repeating myself, read my last post.

Also sixual content if done right is not overwhelming for a 6 or 10 or 12 year old, it's realism that you find when you walk down a street in real life...

Stephen.

I read your post, but I still don't even want to see a reminder of another real person in an Elder Scrolls game. There would be 50 orbs floating around my house at any given time. Also people being able to team up just makes the game easier, while TES games should be based on a player's skill, not 50 taking down a Daedric Prince. Did you read my posts above of who co-op will introduce to the game? Co-op has no place in an Elder Scrolls game.

nvde people in a game is too much for a young child, and most parents would never approve of a young child playing such a game.
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:52 am

I read your post, but I still don't even want to see a reminder of another real person in an Elder Scrolls game. There would be 50 orbs floating around my house at any given time. Also people being able to team up just makes the game easier, while TES games should be based on a player's skill, not 50 taking down a Daedric Prince. Did you read my posts above of who co-op will introduce to the game? Co-op has no place in an Elder Scrolls game.

nvde people in a game is too much for a young child, and most parents would never approve of a young child playing such a game.

Turn the orbs off and there's no orbs floating around your home... Only 2 people can team up, it's not possible for more to join each other in a game at a given time.

Have a realism switch then, so that you turn on nudity and sixual content and blood and guts and broken limbs etc, or turn it off. Have that switch wired into the systems parental control so that if a parent has it turned on then the nudity and blood etc will never appear.

Stephen.

EDIT: btw, I don't disagree with you about Fable 2, it was a joke of a game, but the online play set it apart from anything else I've ever played.
Marlo Stanfield

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 am

-SNIP-

I'm ok with that, as long as the enemies dodge skill is the most important factor in missing, and has to be trained. You won't miss an untrained opponent, regardless of your own skill, to give beginners a chance without grinding. The same applies to the parry and block skills, so you could build a fully defensive thief character. Armor, IMO, reduces your speed and agility based on its weight and bulk, the armor skill only negates those effects, allowing you to dodge in full plate.
Also, defending is an action that uses stamina and can throw you off balance (based on your skill), so you could stagger a good dodger with rapid attacks enough to land one good blow, or you could force your enemy with the back to a wall so he cannot dodge. If you defend good enough for your opponent to grow tired, you have your chance to attack or run.

On multiplayer, i'd be satisfied with a basic networking and multiplayer support, that allows modders to create multiplayer games.

You might want to define "young children" because last time i checked Oblivion had a M rating in the US.
Nudity and sixual contents aren't even a big problem on my side of the pond.
Oceavision

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:31 pm

On the subject of nudity -
While I will admit that I fully expect it to never appear as part of the vanilla game, I do not agree that nudity contributes nothing to a game.

I started a new character in Morrowind one day, a weak and inexperienced magician whose training had largely been in theoreticals and non-absolutes. In other words, he was sheltered from the harsh realities of the world, and when he was imprisoned and then sent to Vvardenfell, that general lack of callousness remained.

It should be mentioned that I had just added a giant chunk of mods to my game, and I was playing for the first time with both nvde body meshes and Necessities of Morrowind. NOM put harsh eating, drinking, and sleeping requirements on my character; I was required to eat twice a day, lots of food required the ability to cook it, and for a newcomer who just walked off the boat, living was an incredibly expensive proposition. Eating the bare minimum for a week could easily cost upwards of 100 drakes, depending on the cost of imported food. If I neglected to eat, drink, or sleep, my stats would be penalized as time went on, and then I would eventually die.

Now, when my character received his stipend from the Census and Excise office, most of it was spent on a weapon, on a bedroll and fire-kit, on a water canteen, on a piteously small stash of food, and on some cloth marginally better than the smelly festering prison rags he was wearing. But the stipend soon ran out, and despite foraging the countryside for anything that could fetch a profit, staying alive became a tedious and depressing proposition. After a short time, the stipend all but evaporated, and he was lucky to get a slice of bread or some crab meat for the day. Truth be told, he was starving. Slowly, but starving nonetheless. And he was becoming desperate.

One day, while frantically scouring the shorelines for something that might be turned into edible food, my character happened upon a well-dressed body, slumped like a rag-doll on the ground and pushed up against plants and the roots of a tree. Now, my inexperienced and timid magician would have shied away from a corpse under any semblance of normal circumstances, but he was no longer in any semblance of normal circumstances. And so he approached the body of an Imperial male. The overriding of fears proved worthwhile, as the man had 200 drakes. But as my character counted out his increase in fortunes, he knew in the back part of his mind that those 200 drakes were just as fleeting as the stipend had been. There was no being content, no picking and choosing. Only survival, and going all-out to keep it. And so he stripped the body of its clothing, obviously woven with skill and comprised of quality material. And with that, he walked back to town.

Yet as he turned back to look at the dead Imperial, something contemplative broke within him. The man was now completely naked, lying facedown in the dirt, exposed in the fullest sense. Where once before the corpse had at least some illusion of dignity, that dignity had been stripped away just as cleanly as the expensive clothing which would further my character's survival. Its frail white body jutted out from its surroundings, looking utterly helpless, almost ashamed. And it gave him pause, to consider the worthiness of survival at the cost of such degradation, and whether survival through such means was truly surviving at all.

As a player, that was one of many strong moments of powerful character reflection I gained through the game, and it was rooted in that corpse being completely naked when I stripped it of its expensive clothing to sell for food. Without that component, I would not have had that in-character reflection upon being startled by the nakedness. Nudity can and does contribute to my gaming environment.
^_^

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:11 pm

Turn the orbs off and there's no orbs floating around your home... Only 2 people can team up, it's not possible for more to join each other in a game at a given time.

Have a realism switch then, so that you turn on nudity and sixual content and blood and guts and broken limbs etc, or turn it off. Have that switch wired into the systems parental control so that if a parent has it turned on then the nudity and blood etc will never appear.

Stephen.

Online still has no place in an Elder Scrolls game. It is not an online game. It's not explainable any further, it just isn't. TES series should never introduce online play. It is supposed to be a single person RPG, period. Online makes no sense in an Elder Scrolls game, especially with lore. How would one explain two Heroes of Kvatch, two Sheogoraths, two Champions of Cyrodiil, two Nerevarines, etc.? It just doesn't fit in an Elder Scrolls game. Where co-op and guns were once blasphemy within TES fanbase, now they are gaining popularity. :(
Kate Norris

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:56 pm

Online still has no place in an Elder Scrolls game. It is not an online game. It's not explainable any further, it just isn't. TES series should never introduce online play. It is supposed to be a single person RPG, period. Online makes no sense in an Elder Scrolls game, especially with lore. How would one explain two Heroes of Kvatch, two Sheogoraths, two Champions of Cyrodiil, two Nerevarines, etc.? It just doesn't fit in an Elder Scrolls game. Where co-op and guns were once blasphemy within TES fanbase, now they are gaining popularity. :(

Too bad i don't see any problems with what you complain about.
FirDaus LOVe farhana

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:51 pm

On the subject of nudity -
While I will admit that I fully expect it to never appear as part of the vanilla game, I do not agree that nudity contributes nothing to a game.

I started a new character in Morrowind one day, a weak and inexperienced magician whose training had largely been in theoreticals and non-absolutes. In other words, he was sheltered from the harsh realities of the world, and when he was imprisoned and then sent to Vvardenfell, that general lack of callousness remained.

It should be mentioned that I had just added a giant chunk of mods to my game, and I was playing for the first time with both nvde body meshes and Necessities of Morrowind. NOM put harsh eating, drinking, and sleeping requirements on my character; I was required to eat twice a day, lots of food required the ability to cook it, and for a newcomer who just walked off the boat, living was an incredibly expensive proposition. Eating the bare minimum for a week could easily cost upwards of 100 drakes, depending on the cost of imported food. If I neglected to eat, drink, or sleep, my stats would be penalized as time went on, and then I would eventually die.

Now, when my character received his stipend from the Census and Excise office, most of it was spent on a weapon, on a bedroll and fire-kit, on a water canteen, on a piteously small stash of food, and on some cloth marginally better than the smelly festering prison rags he was wearing. But the stipend soon ran out, and despite foraging the countryside for anything that could fetch a profit, staying alive became a tedious and depressing proposition. After a short time, the stipend all but evaporated, and he was lucky to get a slice of bread or some crab meat for the day. Truth be told, he was starving. Slowly, but starving nonetheless. And he was becoming desperate.

One day, while frantically scouring the shorelines for something that might be turned into edible food, my character happened upon a well-dressed body, slumped like a rag-doll on the ground and pushed up against plants and the roots of a tree. Now, my inexperienced and timid magician would have shied away from a corpse under any semblance of normal circumstances, but he was no longer in any semblance of normal circumstances. And so he approached the body of an Imperial male. The overriding of fears proved worthwhile, as the man had 200 drakes. But as my character counted out his increase in fortunes, he knew in the back part of his mind that those 200 drakes were just as fleeting as the stipend had been. There was no being content, no picking and choosing. Only survival, and going all-out to keep it. And so he stripped the body of its clothing, obviously woven with skill and comprised of quality material. And with that, he walked back to town.

Yet as he turned back to look at the dead Imperial, something contemplative broke within him. The man was now completely naked, lying facedown in the dirt, exposed in the fullest sense. Where once before the corpse had at least some illusion of dignity, that dignity had been stripped away just as cleanly as the expensive clothing which would further my character's survival. Its frail white body jutted out from its surroundings, looking utterly helpless, almost ashamed. And it gave him pause, to consider the worthiness of survival at the cost of such degradation, and whether survival through such means was truly surviving at all.

As a player, that was one of many strong moments of powerful character reflection I gained through the game, and it was rooted in that corpse being completely naked when I stripped it of its expensive clothing to sell for food. Without that component, I would not have had that in-character reflection upon being startled by the nakedness. Nudity can and does contribute to my gaming environment.

That thought is rare among video game fans. Would you say that nudity helps or hinders TES series itself though? I worry it will gain the wrong type of fans.
Fam Mughal

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:17 pm

Too bad i don't see any problems with what you complain about.

:banghead: It's official, TES series has fallen to the level of every other game.
James Wilson

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:42 pm

:celebration: It's official, TES series has risen to the level of every other game.

Fixed for you.
Danii Brown

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:45 am

decorating houses should be easier in tesv. once i spent 30 (real life) minutes trying to get a pitcher to stand upright. now who with adequate motor skills cant do that? so perhaps some sort of decoration mode similar to the sims, or perhaps a button that rotates the object. also there should be buyable itemps for your house. not just 5 upgrades, but perhaps a furniture store similar to fable. you could go in, buy a weapon rack, bed, etc, and place it in your house. maybe you could even expand your house, possibly digging a tunnel into the ground to make a secret little cave, sort of like jearl of bruma, whos house had a trap door leading to the bruma caves.
Euan

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Fixed for you.

Fixed?
Mark Churchman

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:48 pm

-SNIP-

Neat story, that really shows some depth.

Though i gotta mention something, most mods that add hunger or need for sleep just do it the "you have to or you DIE" method without really "giving" you something in return. I guess that's why most people are so against them but it CAN be expanded to do more than just making it necessary to eat and sleep.
I for example would do it that eating regularly can speed up your natural health, magic and stamina regeneration, that would add another incentive to do it rather than just NOT DIE.

Also what about those little things you can scavenge in the wild and you can feed on, if you really need "food" then the system runs a bit thin, you can't really be a survivalist. Plus there should be ways to earn a little money other than by quests, doing little jobs for people here and there or doing work directly for food.
Kit Marsden

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:35 pm

e.g. fishing.
Nicola

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:37 pm

Daggerfall had nudity, I almost dropped my sword searching a hotel for someone, split naked and rather calm when spoken to.

Morrowind also approached the issue, with that bar in that towns I can't remember. Earthly delights something.

Oblivion did a little, if only acknowledge that men had desires in that department, with the whole female gang in Anvil.

Anyways, I would want a more mature approach to this. I can name a few of my characters that would want to catch a rapist.
Amiee Kent

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:18 pm

e.g. fishing.

Exactly or picking berries.

Another thing is food wouldn't just need to be classed in "eating" or "drinking", a lot of food contains so much liquid it quenches thirst (watermellons for example) and drinking enough can also quench hunger a little bit.
Also it should of course be possible to just steal food.

A little addition to what i said before, a problem with most necessity mods is that that they A. demand too much (you have to eat twice a day, sleep in exactly set intervalls...) and B. the timescale of the game meaning you have to do it in too close intervalls. Eating daily is pretty much luxury nowadays, it should be possible to go up to 3 days without food and suffering too severe negative consequences, though eating daily would be a lot healthier for your character. Same with sleeping, you should easily be able to go 24 hours without big consequences, they should set in maybe 36 - 48 hours without sleep.
The timescale should be a lot longer too, i know the game world isn't realistically big but still the timescale should be extended a good deal.

Another thought was that waiting and sleeping reduces the need for food drastically so you CAN wait a few days (waiting for a certain event) without having to pause to eat every now and then. Well you COULD see it as the character does eat something while waiting, use some imagination :P
Kahli St Dennis

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:02 pm

Who says you would have to be your character when you play multiplayer. I believe that is the sole reason why Fable 2 made you a mercenary when you were in other peoples worlds. What if you spawn as a powerful monster when you enter someones world?

I don't the traditional kind of multiplayer for sure.
Kitana Lucas

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:52 pm

I, as many others think that adding a survival aspect to exploration would be very fun, but the normal options, like survival mods are more annoying than fun. A solution would be 2 fatigue bars, one for "normal" fatigue, that is exhausted by running, climbing, fighting, etc. and is resored by not doing those things, just like the fatigue in morrowind and oblivion. And a "long term" fatigue bar that works like the need for sleep and food, the longer and more the "normal" fatigue bar would be exhausted, the faster the long term one would be exhausted too, like if you made your character run a little while, the normal fatigue bar would go down for a while, in that time, the long term fatigue bar would go down faster than normal, if you made your charcter run the whole day, the long term fatigue bar should exhaust quickly, while if you just made him walk/stand around all the time, the long terms fatigue bar would still go down, but only be empty after about three days. Emptyness of the long term fatigue bar would mean complete exhaustion as bearely being able to stand or falling down asleep at once if the character has low willpower. The only way to restore long term fatigue would be sleeping or eating, pretty simple, but for it to work as a survival aspect, sleeping that restores long term fatigue would have to be like in oblivion, in a good bed somewhere, no bed, and you need a lot of food, the exception being exhaustion, where falling down asleep might work for a few hours, restoring a bit of it again. The effect the long term fatigue bar would have on the character would be like that of the normal one, just almost not noticeable at the start, but just as bad when it starts getting critical.
Two more ideas on fatigie, instead of having willpower increate fatigue, have it make the effect fatigue has on your character less the higher it is. And it would be cool to be able to overuse "normal" fatigue in emergency situations, how effective it is based on willpower, but leading to a shrot exhaustion when done, and having a big impact on long term fatigue afterwards.
Jessica Stokes

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:13 pm

I have the simpliest solution of all for the whole "survival" thingy: they should just slow down the way the Fatigue is used up and apply different speeds of regenerating it for different types of regeneration. For instance you could regain some fatigue by simply not running, bu it would be basically impossible to regain all of it that way. However sleeping and eating (but only in combination!) would lead to a full restoration. There, problem solved. Now you have to eat and sleep, but you don't just drop dead if you forget and you also have a clear indicator and a penalty(not being able to run and do stronger attacks when you're tired). It's also amazingly realistic, if I may say so myself:P
Lucky Boy

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:27 pm

Well I have begun playing Fallout 3 and I have to say I'm encouraged for several reasons that gamesas can get TES going in the right direction again.

1. This game seems more challenging right from the get-go. I'm sure there is level scaling but at least I've been killed (more than I'd care to admit), and I feel a sense of acomplishment when I get through a tough section. That never happened in unmodded Oblivion. Healing isn't cheap, indeed some types of healing via food and water can even can harm you in the long term (radiation).

2. The fast-travel system has been modified a bit because there are no 'pre-discovered' major cities like in Oblivion. You have to explore somewhat to find your first town.

3. I feel like the town is an actual base of operations for me. Unlike in Oblivion where you're fast-traveling around between cities on far flung quests right from the beginning. There are enough things going on in and around the town to keep my attention for a while.

5. The game, so far, feels more advanced. There are lots of weapons, armor, gizmoes, meds, etc... Not only are there pick-pocket skills, but also hacking skills, and engineering type skills etc... in addition to that, there is an added layer of depth because the condition of the weapons and armor changes it's effectiveness.

Only issues so far?

1. A classic bethesda "stuck in a wall" situation that made me start from a prior save.
2. There is still a quest compass of sorts.

But, this is an Elder Scrolls thread so...

Let's have TES move back in the direction of challenge, and the unknown. Let's have a PC who has never been to the province of the game, and needs to figure out where the first place to get a bite to eat and lay his head will be, rather than fast-traveling around four or five major cities. Let's have a new level of depth when it comes to crafting, lock-picking, forging, setting traps, etc, so people who want to play at a very deliberate pace can do so, and really role-play their character.

None of this is original, but I know gamesas has it in them.
Laura Mclean

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:19 pm

Now you have to eat and sleep, but you don't just drop dead if you forget

Now that you mention it that IS a big probem but with a lot of game mechanics. Look at diseases and poisons, you get infected and WHAM, stat damage or health drain instantly. Diseases shouldn't work that way, tey shoudl slowly build up, show more symptoms and get worse.
And just as you said survival aspects such as need to food, water and sleep should slowly build up. Need for water should be stronger in hot regions, need for food bigger in cold regions.

2. There is still a quest compass of sorts.

I personally still don't see the problem wiht the quest compass, it needs some tweaking but the compass ITSELF is not bad.
May be a bit of self advertising and dunno if you read it but what do you think about http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=1044483&view=findpost&p=15187288
I'm working on a overworked version of that with some things rewritten and explained better but i think that's a good outline of the idea, it's pretty much "narrowing it down" instead of plain out pointing to your target location.

On other things, in Fallout it kinda makes sense your map doesnt show anything since the last time that map was updated in game was 250 years ago and, well, there was a nuclear war in between, so it's bound that nobody knows where new sttlements will be. In Oblivion those towns are around for hundreds if not thousands of years already.
I'd start out with a completely empty map that gets more and more detailed the further you explore it, kinda like you really start out witha blank piece of paper you slowly fill out instead of an actual map.
Milagros Osorio

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion