TES V Ideas and Suggestions # 145

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Now that you mention it that IS a big probem but with a lot of game mechanics. Look at diseases and poisons, you get infected and WHAM, stat damage or health drain instantly. Diseases shouldn't work that way, tey shoudl slowly build up, show more symptoms and get worse.
And just as you said survival aspects such as need to food, water and sleep should slowly build up. Need for water should be stronger in hot regions, need for food bigger in cold regions.

I personally still don't see the problem wiht the quest compass, it needs some tweaking but the compass ITSELF is not bad.
May be a bit of self advertising and dunno if you read it but what do you think about http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=1044483&view=findpost&p=15187288
I'm working on a overworked version of that with some things rewritten and explained better but i think that's a good outline of the idea, it's pretty much "narrowing it down" instead of plain out pointing to your target location.

On other things, in Fallout it kinda makes sense your map doesnt show anything since the last time that map was updated in game was 250 years ago and, well, there was a nuclear war in between, so it's bound that nobody knows where new sttlements will be. In Oblivion those towns are around for hundreds if not thousands of years already.
I'd start out with a completely empty map that gets more and more detailed the further you explore it, kinda like you really start out witha blank piece of paper you slowly fill out instead of an actual map.

Yes, I'm all about the blank map concept, and I'm also ok with a compass as long as it's there to help you navigate and not just show you exactly where to go. I like the concept of having objectives narrowed down for the player character through conversation and research, rather than just a map marker appearing without any effort on the players part.
Danielle Brown

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Yes, I'm all about the blank map concept, and I'm also ok with a compass as long as it's there to help you navigate and not just show you exactly where to go. I like the concept of having objectives narrowed down for the player character through conversation and research, rather than just a map marker appearing without any effort on the players part.

Ya, i don't think it would be too hard to to do a narrowing down system, you'd simply have to place more markers that progressively get more detailed as you gather infos. Again all it takes simply is more EFFORT. And hell a lot of that could even be done automatically.
Steeeph

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 pm

Now that you mention it that IS a big probem but with a lot of game mechanics. Look at diseases and poisons, you get infected and WHAM, stat damage or health drain instantly. Diseases shouldn't work that way, tey shoudl slowly build up, show more symptoms and get worse.
And just as you said survival aspects such as need to food, water and sleep should slowly build up. Need for water should be stronger in hot regions, need for food bigger in cold regions.

I personally still don't see the problem wiht the quest compass, it needs some tweaking but the compass ITSELF is not bad.
May be a bit of self advertising and dunno if you read it but what do you think about http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=1044483&view=findpost&p=15187288
I'm working on a overworked version of that with some things rewritten and explained better but i think that's a good outline of the idea, it's pretty much "narrowing it down" instead of plain out pointing to your target location.

On other things, in Fallout it kinda makes sense your map doesnt show anything since the last time that map was updated in game was 250 years ago and, well, there was a nuclear war in between, so it's bound that nobody knows where new sttlements will be. In Oblivion those towns are around for hundreds if not thousands of years already.
I'd start out with a completely empty map that gets more and more detailed the further you explore it, kinda like you really start out witha blank piece of paper you slowly fill out instead of an actual map.

I think the whole survival thing could be easily solved with the fatigue bar, or long term fatigue if it gets included, once you pass a certain interval without eating your fatigue drops, with enough drops it will eventually reach zero, when that happens you simply pass out, meaning your character goes to sleep and you have to sit there watching him for maybe 30 seconds while he regains some much needed fatigue, if you ignore this then every 5 minutes or so your character will keep passing out until you feed him, either with food or blood depending on vampire status.

As for quest compass I would like to see it removed until you buy a compass from a shop and press a toggle button which will add it to the HUD.

Ezekiel, you haven't reached level 20 in Fallout 3 yet have you... you're impressed so far...

Stephen.
joeK

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 pm

As for quest compass I would like to see it removed until you buy a compass from a shop and press a toggle button which will add it to the HUD.

I always see the compass NOT as a actual physical device you carry with you but as what the CHARACTER imagines, it's just the easiest way to translate it on screen in the form of a compass.
If it's what the character knows it would make sens that it's narrowed down rather than never having a indicator or always knowing exactly where something is.

I do agree that a lot of things shouldn't be marked, when you go to find a ruin you may get info where it is, it CAN show that if you have enough info. However once inside you have no more markers since whatever you look for can be ANYWHERE in that ruin. However here is a exception, when you DO know where it is. For example, you look for a speciffic pice of armor in an old fort and KNOW it's in the armory AND you knwo where the armory is (saw it on a map before), so a marker will point to the armory since you KNOW it. The same applies when you found something, again with the armory example. You don't know where it is but as soona s you enter a hallway and have visual contact with the armory door a marker will be added to it since you NOW know where it is. This marker will stay since, obviously, the armory can't move.
The same thing happens when you find the specific item but the marker there is not permanent, it can point to the last KNOWN location. If the mentioned suit of armor is moved or stolen the old marker will still be there but vanish once you see what you're looking for is gone.
JAY

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Well I have begun playing Fallout 3 and I have to say I'm encouraged for several reasons that gamesas can get TES going in the right direction again.

:rofl:

You'll see, you'll see.

It's hardly comparable to TES.
Bryanna Vacchiano

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 am

Magic in Oblivion is brutal. By the time my Blade, Heavy Armor, Block, and Armorer skills were in the 90s, Restoration was in the mid50s, Destruction just hit 50, and Illusion was 61. The way it levels is just ridiculous.

Fix it!
Dan Wright

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:56 pm

I always see the compass NOT as a actual physical device you carry with you but as what the CHARACTER imagines, it's just the easiest way to translate it on screen in the form of a compass.

As do I. For this reason, I'd like it to be a discrete set of letters, rather than an actual compass. You know, minimum UI.
Tiffany Holmes

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:25 pm

As do I. For this reason, I'd like it to be a discrete set of letters, rather than an actual compass. You know, minimum UI.

Yea it should be a bite mode subtile than that.
One idea is, like in many other games, if you have a mini map you can simply anchor the map and compass together so the compass symbols simply appear around it. It worked great for other games so i think it's worth a shot too (i know, saying it worked good for other games usually is blasphemy around here but hey, can't deny facts :P)
Marina Leigh

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:45 pm

But sometimes you can't know where North is, especially when you're underground & disoriented in the darkness.
TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:42 am

If it worked in other games, it isn't original!
I don't want The Left 4 Elder Grand Theft Creed Auto Uncharted Bioshcok Scrolls! I want an original game! :P
gandalf

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:17 am

But I do want Daggerfall's model/Dragon Age' s blood/Oblivion's graphics all mashed up into TES V: Morrowind II.
360 release date: Feb 1 2010.
PC release date: Mar 15 2014.
Big Homie

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:54 am

But I do want Daggerfall's model/Dragon Age' s blood/Oblivion's graphics all mashed up into TES V: Morrowind II.
360 release date: Feb 1 2010.
PC release date: Mar 15 2014.

:lmao::cookie:
Killah Bee

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:38 am

I was joking, silly.
Except I want meh some -- aww, never mind.
vicki kitterman

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 am

I want bethesda to add slavery into TES 5, it was one of the things I loved about Fallout 3
matt oneil

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:40 pm

But sometimes you can't know where North is, especially when you're underground & disoriented in the darkness.

Then simply take away the north marking until you get a physical compass.

I don't want The Left 4 Elder Grand Theft Creed Auto Uncharted Bioshcok Scrolls! I want an original game! :P

OK then lets remove EVERYTHING that ever was in any other game, hope you liked textures :P [/sarcasm]
krystal sowten

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:46 am

slavery has almost been universally abolished--- see "Infernal City".
Michelle davies

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Yeah, but there's still outlaws in every province.
Lifee Mccaslin

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:26 pm

I want bethesda to add slavery into TES 5, it was one of the things I loved about Fallout 3

Good idea, lets add a huge marked full of Redguard slaves *cue awkward silence*
Tyler F

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:28 am

OK then lets remove EVERYTHING that ever was in any other game, hope you liked textures [/sarcasm]

I was mocking a quote from thread 144...
Charlotte Buckley

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 pm

wayell...id like cities to be a bit more in-depth...and a lot more people....an assassin cant be stuck killing trolls...there has to be someone on those roads except guards...travelling merchants?
Laura Cartwright

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:53 pm

You won't get that ever, if it had to be original it wouldn't exist. Everything is based on something else.

Stephen.
Assumptah George

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:05 pm

I was mocking a quote from thread 144...

I was just joking too, thus the tounge pook smiley and the sarcasm mark :P
sharon

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:59 am

Orochi's post makes me think about somethings. There should be respawning NPCs in city (generic non-quest related ones), well not really respawning since when you kill some guy he's dead forever, but someone should take his place, the new npc could be created via a random char gen, so every playthrough would be different. Could expend more on the idea but heh, I'm lazy and besides it prolly was suggested before.
Ilona Neumann

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:22 pm

slavery has almost been universally abolished--- see "Infernal City".

I would also like to see slavery in TESV and be able to buy as many as I want, then I could choose to work them in a mine or a farm or my house or sell them again or set them free, whatever I want. This concept would go well with sixual content and nudity in the game :)

Stephen.
Quick Draw

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:37 am

Good idea, lets add a huge marked full of Redguard slaves *cue awkward silence*

:facepalm:

I meant just add slavers, in Fallout 3 you could be a slaver and enslave people then you would get money for it if the slave made it back to paradise falls safely. I think they should expand this idea and put it in TES 5
Juan Suarez

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion