TES Vs. Wow

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:55 am

And? That doesn't make Warcraft have no/bad lore. That makes you not interested in that lore. The same can be done to any TES game.

And yes, the Burning Legion existed in the original Warcraft, although as a framework with (as far as I recall) only Sargeras ever being mentioned.

No [censored] duh. Warcraft has lore. Didn't I mention this already in the same thread about manuals? How Blizzard would cover the basics of a game while filling the rest about information regarding the world? Just doesn't make it interesting. This opinion came from first impressions.
Stephanie Valentine

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:11 am

How Blizzard would cover the basics of a game while filling the rest about information regarding the world? Just doesn't make it interesting. This opinion came from first impressions.

I always found Warcraft (at least 3, I never played the ones before) to be pretty complex in terms of macro and micro combinations and unit builds. Never felt it "just covered the basics."
Philip Lyon

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:14 pm

I always found Warcraft (at least 3, I never played the ones before) to be pretty complex in terms of macro and micro combinations and unit builds. Never felt it "just covered the basics."

I'm talking about manuals. They're chock full of lore, but the first section is always about getting to know the game.
Dan Wright

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:48 am

I'm talking about manuals. They're chock full of lore, but the first section is always about getting to know the game.

Yeah, they always do stuff their manuals with lore, but I never had a problem with it: It gives me something to read on the way home from the store! :P
lolly13

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:25 pm

Caterina: What about Proudmoore? He caused problems too, and the other smaller Alliance settlements attack the Horde too. Overall, I'd say Jaina is alone in her want to be neutral with the Horde, everyone else is just too caught up in revenge.

That's what I am saying. On hordeside we got the Burning Blades on Allianceside we have Admiral Proudmoore's followers. Well it's of course more complex than that. Territory and ressources do play a role, like always (Arathi Basin, Warsong Gulch, Alterac Valley), but Horde and Alliance are not at war.

*More about Proudmoore. In RoC we learn that the king ignores Medivhs warnings and gets killed by betrayed Arthas. Jaina leads some of the humans to Kalimdor, the rest gets mostly eaten by the Scourge. In the end Jaina allies Thrall, but Proudmoore (her father) was against this at all costs, I can't exactly recall what she did with him, but it was not nice ;-). The people and soldiers who fought under Proudmoore are not happy with it at all and since there is no Burning Legion threatening at their doors anymore, they remember the good old days, when every orc was a thrall, at best and they of course remember all the deaths when Thrall freed and united the Horde. Especially that cunning, fierce, cruel and merciless Grom Hellscream, last of the free orcs.

Imo Jaina and Thrall got a nice task over there, keeping peace with this kind of explosives. :]

On the other hand, there are enough people who just want to live in peace, I guess. As for the horde, some elder's are not happy with Thrall's peaceful way either and want to bring back the old days. I doubt they will ever succeed, praise THE WARCHIEF. They won't start to revolt against him. We must remember that Ogrim Doomhammer himself supported Thrall and called him warchief. Well, this and Mannoroth's influence gone...

I'm very interested in the nightelve's opinion on that matter. Lorewise they shouldn't be part of the alliance but rather a third faction by themselves, just like the bloodelves should. It's also somehow open, who reigns the nightelves nower days, Tyrande is only a highpriestess (strongly gifted no doubt) after all.

(It's really hard for me to talk about this in English, excuse bad spelling, grammar and repetitive style =P)
Matthew Barrows

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:11 am

Thrall sent Rexxar to slay Proudmoore, which he did. Jaina didn't seem too phased by the event, although the alliance between the Horde and Alliance was strained from then on.
Craig Martin

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:18 am

I'm very interested in the nightelve's opinion on that matter. Lorewise they shouldn't be part of the alliance but rather a third faction by themselves, just like the bloodelves should. It's also somehow open, who reigns the nightelves nower days, Tyrande is only a highpriestess (strongly gifted no doubt) after all.

The night elves joined the Alliance because of pressure from the Horde all over Kalimdor. They wouldn't just join the Horde because of Ashenvale and the Warsong clan, and how the orcs killed Cenarius.

The blood elves joined the horde because of Sylvana Windrunner, the Forsaken leader who was also a high elven hero before Arthas enslaved her. Sylvanas brought them in to the Horde, even though the other members seem to be less enthusiastic about the idea.

Tyrande's not just a high priestess, she's the highest ranking priestess of the moon and was the night elves' ruler while the druids slept. Fandral Staghelm is the current high druid thanks to Malfurion's absence. They're pretty much the NE leadership.
Bereket Fekadu

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:52 am

@Ozorn. Thx. The last book of the series implies that Jaina knew of it beforehand and was perfectly fine. Not sure, but I think, she also threatens to show what happens to "betrayers like her father".

The night elves joined the Alliance because of pressure from the Horde all over Kalimdor. They wouldn't just join the Horde because of Ashenvale and the Warsong clan, and how the orcs killed Cenarius.

I'm confused, what do you want to say ? Of course the NE wouldn't join the Horde, imo they shouldn't be part of the alliance, too. Ne are not highelves. They joined the alliance like everybody else did, to defend Mount Hyjal against Archimonde. But that's not the Alliance meaning, playable faction in WoW today.
... The whole Alliance - Horde thing just doesn't make sense... :/

The blood elves joined the horde because of Sylvana Windrunner, the Forsaken leader who was also a high elven hero before Arthas enslaved her. Sylvanas brought them in to the Horde, even though the other members seem to be less enthusiastic about the idea.

Uhm, can you say, where it is mentioned that Sylvanas brought them into the Horde. Don't the bloodelves hate everything undead, including one of the former guard captains ? And why should Sylvanas do so ?

Tyrande's not just a high priestess, she's the highest ranking priestess of the moon and was the night elves' ruler while the druids slept. Fandral Staghelm is the current high druid thanks to Malfurion's absence. They're pretty much the NE leadership.

There is no other highpriestress ? Technically Azshara is still queen of the nightelves. I can't see any other queen (or king ?)mentioned. While Malfurion and Tyrande lead the Ne together in RoC, it's somehow an unanswered question how NE society actually evolved ?
carrie roche

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Ah... Um... guys...

:P
CHANONE

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:59 am

Trivia of a fantasy soap opera... crippling... my brilliantly anolytical lore-mind... must... get AWAY!
sally R

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:51 am

Trivia of a fantasy soap opera... crippling... my brilliantly anolytical lore-mind... must... get AWAY!

*giggle*

(Now knows how to debilitate Albides: Create a discussion about why Galadriel is so self obsessed with her golden hairs, that she wont let anyone have even one of them.)
Saul C

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:44 pm

*giggle*

(Now knows how to debilitate Albides: Create a discussion about why Galadriel is so self obsessed with her golden hairs, that she wont let anyone have even one of them.)

And for the killing blow: couldn't Legolas simply subdue Gimli using his bow as a quarterstaff and steal the hairs from his pack? Or would he require the element of surprise?
Ryan Lutz

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:51 pm

And for the killing blow: couldn't Legolas simply subdue Gimli using his bow as a quarterstaff and steal the hairs from his pack? Or would he require the element of surprise?

And do you think the Elven craftsmen would fashion a stone of said spectacle? Do you suppose they would allude to their "Special" friendship as well in the story they would sing?
Marlo Stanfield

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:38 am

And do you think the Elven craftsmen would fashion a stone of said spectacle?

Unlikely, what with their preoccupation with emigration to Valinor. And it is unlikely that the art could be taught to passing hobbits in transit, as the marked differences in attention span preclude interracial education.
Stephanie I

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:53 am

Oh ... you relentless cads. Try your worst! This, though painful, is not as bad as the Bold and the Beautiful with swords discussion that was going on further up, or a debate over the genealogy of Hobbits. It takes a special kind of bore to discuss that.
Celestine Stardust

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:47 pm

Unlikely, what with their preoccupation with emigration to Valinor. And it is unlikely that the art could be taught to passing hobbits in transit, as the marked differences in attention span preclude interracial education.

I see...

So, what do you think Gimli will do with these extra special "that nobody can have even one!" hairs, now that he has them? the mind boggles!

And do you suppose that Legolas would be jealous that Galadriel's hair is prettier than his? I mean, look at all that effort he puts into looking sixy for Gimli The camera!

(If Albides isn't hiding under a table by NOW, he must have a stronger composure than previously thought! MUAHAHAH)
Multi Multi

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:07 am

Hey, I quite like the discussion of Warcraft lore. It's deeper than you'd think.
Juan Suarez

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:23 am

Hey, I quite like the discussion of Warcraft lore. It's deeper than you'd think.

The secret reason why she didnt freak out from Thrall's little assassination order, is because she secretly has a thing for him. ;)

(Sorry, I dont think too highly for WoW McLore either.)
Nicole Mark

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:24 am

*Enters thread, looks around and slowly backs out...*

:nuts:
Kanaoka

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:57 am

Not, it's a lot more detailed than one would think. There's a difference between being exhaustive and being inventive, or being prolific and being deep.
Sierra Ritsuka

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:33 am

*Enters thread, looks around and slowly takes off pants*
mollypop

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:18 am

"...where all who Went Under from Landfall settled and made peace with the Worm, ..." (http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/5th_era_loveletter.shtml)
Jade Muggeridge

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:04 pm

"...where all who Went Under from Landfall settled and made peace with the Worm, ..." (http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/5th_era_loveletter.shtml)

While it IS true that the [censored] has hit the fan in this thread, I dont think this is quite on the same scale as the minisitry of turds Truth falling on Vvardenfell.
Tyrel

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:56 am

AND HE MADE LOVE UNTO A HILLOCK?

Not, it's a lot more detailed than one would think. There's a difference between being exhaustive and being inventive, or being prolific and being deep.

So long as it's detailed enough to allow me to debate it with other fans, I'm okay, although you definitely can't debate like TES lore where you can go into the symbolism of things, but I still love the historical aspect of it.
Kate Schofield

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:27 am

So long as it's detailed enough to allow me to debate it with other fans, I'm okay, although you definitely can't debate like TES lore where you can go into the symbolism of things, but I still love the historical aspect of it.

Ah, that's the post I was going to make. Warcraft has lots of history, but practically nothing in the way of culture. What there is is mostly what can be reflected by warbands of heroes and Jamaican javelin-throwers.

So it doesn't really interest me any more than a made-up plot for a pnp rpg.
Andrea Pratt

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion