The Elder Scrolls VI is a long ways off - Interview #2

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:39 pm

There is one reason why Bethesda Game Studios can't just hire a dedicated core team for developing The Elder Scrolls video games.

At least on I remember from Todd Howard. He said having about 200 people hired is the sweet spot of the number of amount of people to work with.

Hiring more people isn't always a good idea sometimes having 1,000 people hired can have a lot of mismanagement and miscommunications happen.

Outsourcing is also not a good idea at all sometimes.

chinadoll

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:33 pm

This is the best explanation yet.

Looks like ES6 is the new HL3, folks.

A perfect example: notice how Blizzard stopped working on SP Warcraft with the release of WoW?

ES6 ain't gonna happen. Stick a fork in it - SP ES is done.

Inol Wakhid

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:21 pm

This is beyond a doubt the most idiotic thing I have read in these forums all week. There is no way in hell that Zenimax is going to cease production on their biggest money-making product. Why would any intelligent person even think such a thing?

If anything, a new Elder Scrolls game is more likely to appear in the future than any other game Bethesda might make. Why? It's simple economics. Elder Scrolls games bring in more money than any other game under Zenimax's umbrella. The Elder Scrolls games is Bethesda's biggest money-making endeavor. No businessman is going to stop making their most profitable product. That idea is just plain insane.

I guess they just don't teach economics in school anymore. :facepalm:

CRuzIta LUVz grlz

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:56 am

I agree. Zenimax wouldn't miss out on the TES6 cash cow.
marina

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:39 am

its implied with how you type.. you don't say "i don't think will happen", you always go " isn't going to happen, this is instead".. so it does come across as if you are presenting your opinions as facts, but your guessing just as much as anyone else..

not a valid argument, because there are even more franchises that have MMO's going that still make SP titles (if you want me to name a few i will).. ESO was not nearly as successful was WoW was, so there is no reason to compare them in the manner you are..

they have clearly told us numerous times that ESO will not stop them from making SP TES games.. it seriously seems you are trying to invent reasons to get upset just for the sake of going "ahh, the skies falling!"..

yeah, and they also said something very similar prior to Skyrims announcement..

seriously guys, you can't take everything a PR guy says in the most literal possible sense as its their job to try and use selective wording to hide but marginally hint at whats actually going on (marketing people, marketing), especially when the particular line(s) all the doomsayer are raging about have been said by them in the past several times..

some people are just naturally pessimistic i guess and immediately think worst case scenario has to be the only possibility... we have nothing, NOTHING to show they will stop making SP TES titles, but we do have evidence to point at them continuing with SP titles because they have come right out and told us the ESO won't affect the SP games..

and then they told us that they are making ES6, but they have a few other titles they are working on first..

Skivs

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:11 pm

I hope the date predicted for TES VI in this video is overly pessimistic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwXKfzsVAjc

Megan Stabler

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:03 am

First of all:

I take exception to your statement and tone. It is a personal attack.

Secondly:

If you should be angry at anyone, it should be Bethesda, not me. A smart statement on their part would have been "We're not ready to talk about ES6 yet. Please be patient. I promise you this: there will be an ES6, and it will be worth the wait."

Instead, we get refusals and proclamations that the title is nowhere near being ready, statements about multiple higher priorities, a rework of a 5 year old game for no conceivable purpose other than 'harvesting', and a statement about waiting for HW technology to improve (which isn't going to happen for perhaps another decade.)

Right now, it looks almost certain that ES is dead - ESO, Legends and Skyrim Reborn are harvesting operations. The best we can likely hope for is ESO updates that keep the franchise alive for a few more years.

Otherwise, we're almost certainly looking at ES6 joining HL3 and an UnReal reboot as lost and fading dreams.

Yonah

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:05 am

Your kidding right? ZeniMax Media Inc. and Bethesda Softworks will not let singleplayer The Elder Scrolls video games not be developed anymore.

Whether they publish and release for sale or not The Elder Scrolls VI in 2018, 2021 or 2023 they will still release The Elder Scrolls VI for sale.

And the technology for hardware is actually starting to catch up. MicroSoft is releasing the Xbox Scorpio for sale on Holidays 2017, which will have 6.5TFlops of GPU compute power compared to the 1.2TFlops of GPU compute power for the Xbox One.

Technology is advancing at a rapid rate right now.

On the PC side we will soon have graphics cards with 16GB's of HBM 2 VRAM and even up to 32GB's of HBM 2 VRAM.

This will all be available for sale for the average or so person to purchase within the next year and in the next 5 years as well. It will be even more advanced by 2020.

Not to put any tin foil hats on or anything, but we may even get warp drives in the next 50 years. I mean there is litteraly testing going on now at NASA and other technology Research & Development (R&D) facilities trying out things with magnetic fields.

Cybernetic prosthetics like in the Deus Ex video games are also slowly starting to exist now and getting into disabled people's to try out.

After Bethesda Game Studios releases whatever video game for sale in 2018 then it will be the perfect time to develop The Elder Scrolls VI to release it for sale in 2021 or 2023.

Jon O

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:59 am

Im starting to think like chickenkungfu. Its sad...but I just see fear when I see them refusing to talk about TESVI and that they just want to focus in other things.

That means that they are tired of TES too. So...they are tired of TES (thats why they are going to do other kind of games) + they are forced to forget TES because of ESO.

I just see this becoming another HL3 thing.

My favourite game series will be forgotten.

Hell yes I play ESO. I have 5 maxed chars with 620cp and I have a lot of everything and I play since beta but its not the same.

I play because it is a bit of TES here and there...but it is just a random mmo with TES skin.

Fallout 4 was and is a dissapointment for me.

I can't see Beth releasing something getting my interest like with TES games.

To me they just got bored and are suffering that strange behaviour some great artists suffer. Just like when a great musician that made you feel incredible emotions,suddenly wants to change the style and you can just listen to their old albums cause it is not the same anymore.

Or maybe it is just me exaggerating. But it is what I think and feel now.
Maya Maya

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:57 pm

I thin you guys are really jumping to the worst possible conclusion here. It's way too early to proclaim TESVI as the next Half-Life 3. There isn't enough in any of these statements to start worrying about doom and gloom.

also: both consoles are confirmed to be getting hardware upgrades in the next one or two years. Project Scorpio and the PS4.5 or PS Neo... Todd Howard even appeared in the promotional video for the Project Scorpio. We're not going to be waiting until the next console generation.

Peter P Canning

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:20 pm

No kidding. lol This is starting to remind me of the famous Mark Twain quip: Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Chloé

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:29 pm

i feel as if the ESO people are the most who are hoping that TES VI gets shelved.

if ever they continue developing TES VI and add optional multiplayer, i feel as if it would siphon off the already anemic ESO playerbase.

but that's just speculation on my part, since we're generally just throwing wild speculations one after another. haha

Erin S

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:14 pm

dude, your aware they refused to talk about FO4 until it was announced, aren't you? and that they refused to talk about TESV before it was announced, right?

its not a first time thing here, the same happened with most of their previous titles.. Bethesda, along with most AAA devs, won't openly talk about what their upcoming projects are until they decide they are ready to announce them no matter how much they are asked and will give a vague "maybe in the future" response whether its in production or not, and Bethesda has a habit of not announcing them till they are relatively close to completion

except they came right out and told us that ESO would not stop the production of SP games..

we have zero(zilch, zippo, nada), data that would even halfway hint at ESO causing no more SP games, just a bunch of people going crazy thinking its the end of the world because they didn't announce it at this particular E3...

I don't know if its just them being seriously pessimistic, or just over-exaggerating because they will have to wait awhile rather than getting the game immediately.. I am willing to listen to others opinions with an open mind, but what most of the naysayers are using as "evidence" really doesn't stand up against further anolysis..

Laura Shipley

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:12 am

funnybunny, but cant you really see its different this time? I have watched Todd's interview various times and I really see him VERY upset,nervous...and really not wanting talk about TESVI. I dont know...I really see it different. I see a sudden censorship. Banning Todd from going e3 stage just in case he was asked about TESVI (Hine's words)...wth is this? Ive never seen that behaviour whit other companies. Damn, feels like if it was the devil.

What if they just got bored? You know...that is the worst thing can happen to an artist.

Im sad regarding all these past news. Gonna stop talking here cause Im poisoning others and dont want to be the doom and gloom here.
Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:05 am

for all we know Todd could be going through personal issues, game designers are people, a family member could be sick as an example

yeah, because hes not allowed to talk about it until its announced, NDA's and all that.. lets say you were a software developer, and your contract specifically says "you can't talk about the nature Project X until we give the go ahead", would you not want to avoid talking about it?

I am sorry Raz, but I don't see anything pointing at this being any different than all the other times they have said these Exact same things.. only difference I see is a few more people suddenly going "ohh no, no more games" than the last few times, and thats probably just because they have garnered a larger fanbase in their past few releases..

natalie mccormick

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:36 pm

Jesus!......(oh wait that might offend some people)

I meant

GIANT SPAGHETTI MONSTER! Bethesda barely has to do a single [censored] thing before the tin foil hats come out and start conspiring crazy theories seriously guys if you dont calm down your hoing to end up like the crazy gaben half life people.
Sarah Edmunds

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:31 am

Todd Howard getting "banned" from the E3 stage is a huge exaggeration. They just didn't have a lot to show this year, so they showed it in a five minute video and had Howard do interviews after the show. Even if those two secret projects didn't exist, Bethesda aren't ready to announce TESVI while Fallout 4's DLC is still in development. \

Gemma Archer

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:19 am

Wow, some of you people are really getting gloomy over this. I'm inclined to side with Funnybunny on this one. I've been a member of these forums for years (I've only recently started posting again but I've been around) and like Funnybunny has said, this is the same hand of cards that they've played for the last several releases and people have become anxious about it every time they've done it. There isn't anything to worry about.

We may not be seeing a TES6 for a few years but we will see it. This recent news is nothing to get upset over.

As for the "new technology" statement it is, like somebody else pointed out earlier in the forum, almost certainly the new consoles being released next year or maybe the year after and I can't blame Bethesda for wanting to wait for those releases. The current consoles out there could really hinder what they're planning on doing, whatever that may be.

Also, Todd said that we may see the other two titles before TES6. He didn't say that we will see them first. (Note: may.) I'm not going to even guess at the release date of the next TES but I very seriously doubt that it's going to be some ridiculous amount of time like some have speculated.

My point is, chins up! Everything is fine. TES isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Danial Zachery

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:02 am

Yeah, I remember about a year before Skyrim was announced these same rumors of the end of Elder Scrolls were circulating based on a misinterpretation of one of Todd's cryptic comments.
Ally Chimienti

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:07 pm

I think Todd (and Bethesda) have the right to experiment and put effort into something different. I also think that they have the right not to announce TES VI until they are actually commited to making it.

Jerry Jr. Ortiz

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Sadly, I am not kidding.

I would love to be dead wrong, but too many things point in the direction I suggested.

There's no question that Nvidia and AMD are going all out on their parallel processing graphics architectures. I must warn you, however, that the cooling requirements are going to get worse for these devices. Also, you have to expect that cost will become worse and worse, especially considering that the verification engineering effort - already completely dominant as a source of development time and cost for complex chips for the past 10 years - is getting MUCH worse.

The deepest nodes - 16nm down to eventually 7 or 5 - are monstrously expensive to develope and actually reverse the cost curve of Moore's Law.

Ferroelectric memories will help. But they're a one time fix.

We are truly looking at the end of life for improvements in silicon-based microelectronics within the next 3-5 years. After that, other substrates will be needed - graphene, molybdenum sulfide, maybe silicene (though I wouldn't count on that one.) Once that replacement is ready, it'll make the last 40-50 years of technological progress look downright sedentary. But it would be hopelessly premature to expect such a capability to be ready before 2025 at best.

Regarding the Alcubierre drive - I don't think you're putting on the tinfoil hat at all. Somebody a year ago already determined that the mass of such an engine did not need to be much more than a ton or so, making it quite feasible (in theory.) It's an engineering task at this point (though quite a fierce one.)

Regardless:

By waiting more than, say, 6 years, Bethesda is basically communicating to their customers/fans/audience that ES SP is simply not a priority. The longer that lasts, the less likely it becomes they will ever spin themselves up to address the series again. Gold does indeed lose its luster in this business.

The fact that they placed two other unknown 'AAA' projects before ES6 and after FO4 is an EXTREMELY bad sign. The stake thru the heart is Skyrim Remastered - a complete and total waste of resources, since the return will be marginal.

Sorry, guys. The prognosis, on a purely objective level, is quite grim.

Vivien

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:41 pm

I don't see any signs pointing that there will never be a singleplayer only The Elder Scrolls video game developed and sold ever again. Only that it will take a little bit longer, that's it.

Mistress trades Melissa

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:58 pm

I built my first computer in 1994. In the late 90s, when the Pentium III was introduced, the mantra was that we'd never see a CPU faster than 1 GHz, since it'd be impossible to cool...

Sammygirl500

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:00 am

Just how quickly are some people ready to give up, roll over and die? Unbelievable

Nothing has changed in the way BGS handles the PR of their games, nothing. People start anolysing these statements in excruciating detail and simply forget EVERYTHING that has happened during the last 15 years or so. It's the same old trick but apparently as effective as ever.

Lady Selene, funnybunny and others: I thank you for shedding some light of reason in this darkness of absolutely pointless panicking and hopelessness.

When TES 6 gets released a couple of years from now I truly hope some people take a long hard look in the mirror.
Charlie Ramsden

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:36 pm

Todd Howard: "TES 6 is a thing."

Elder Scrolls fans: "Oh noes there's no more Elder Scrolls!" :ahhh:

:blink:

Celestine Stardust

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion