The Elder Scrolls VI is a long ways off - Interview #2

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:48 pm

Nailed it man. I think Bethesda really want to make TES VI, the best TES yet.

Alyna

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:57 am

I agree with NobleArchangel: I think you nailed it. Very nice.

мistrєss

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Am I the only one who's glad they're not doing TES6 next? As much as I love The Elder Scrolls and Fallout, I've been playing those two series in through several different iterations Ever since Morrowind. Every gamesas game is top-notch, but switching between two universes indefinitely is bound to induce series fatigue regardless of how good the games are, imo.

I think Bethesda want's to do something different, and I want to play something different. What's with the opposition to a new IP? o.0

Jeremy Kenney

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:08 am

I'm not happy about it, but if they're going to screw up badly while trying new ideas (i.e. a voiced protagonist) I'd rather they do it with other IPs, not the Elder Scrolls. I'd rather have them experiment on the two next games and learn from their mistakes...then create a new Elder Scrolls game, armed with a better understanding of what works and what doesn't.

Crystal Clarke

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:43 pm

if i wanted to play something different, i'd play a different game. there are like gajillions of gaming companies out there developing a jillion different types of awesome games.

but when it comes to wanting to play another TES or FO, only bethesda can provide that fix, WHY? coz they're the only ones who can make it. so it would really be annoying if they suddenly decided to spend years not developing TES or FO just to give us a "different type of game".

the thing about TES is that each game installation is a continuation of a story. in skyrim, we were introduced to the outcome of the war between empire and thalmor.. but the game did not resolve that and we are stuck in a cliffhanger part of the story. so imagine having to wait about a 100 million years just to read or watch the ending of game of thrones.. if such a thing would ever happen it's gonna feel like a very painful c*ckblock maneuver..

that's how it's gonna feel like when they stop SP TES.. why? coz ESO is such a friggin different animal. it's like invader zim trying to pretend to be human.

i mean, he has a cool psychotic robot and a spaceship, but he's not a squiggly human child-baby like dib.

-----------

i apologize. i am chaotic neutral.

Franko AlVarado

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:03 am

I'm not going to be annoyed if Bethesda Game Studios takes another 5 years or 7 years to develop and release for sale The Elder Scrolls VI.

I think it's time they take a break from developing The Elder Scrolls video games for now and release a new video game Intellectual Property (IP) for sale in 2018.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, while it's a ok The Elder Scrolls video game is a huge disappointment for me because Bethesda Game Studios removed the armor and weapons degradation system and added immortal NPC's or protected NPC's again like how they added the Essential NPC's in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Also I don't like level scaling of loot and NPC's either.

I hope Todd Howard waits enough for there to be technology and for them to have a better Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) solutions to develop a better system so that we will never need immortal NPC's ever again in the video games that they develop.

So that we don't have companions and important quest NPC's that run into walls or into your Player Characters (PC's) gunshots or off of cliffs or whatever that will get your companions or important quest NPC's killed by Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) bugs.

I'd like Bethesda Game Studios to for once develop a video game and have absolutely no level scaling of loot and NPC's and see how well they can develop a open world RPG video game without absolutely any level scaling of loot and NPC's.

I'm sure they can do better than the mods I make for the PC versions of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on PC.

jaideep singh

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Anyone got any constructive ideas on what they might plan to do with it? I'd guess what Todd referred to with the technology which isn't even here yet is just the Scorpio and whatever Sony counters it with, but I found it interesting with that part "I could explain what we have in mind for that game and you'd be 'gosh, how long is that going to take, do you even have the technology', etc" (paraphrasing). I know rumors/desires have been around about them doing all of Tamriel in TESVI, and I've never taken them seriously, but after this... Could that be it? They're putting all provinces in to the next game?

Other ideas?

Jonathan Montero

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:23 pm

I doubt they'd put all of the provinces in one game, but massively increasing the scale of the game and keeping it in one province is a possibility. They could also be working on upping their technology so that their games are back on the forefront of PC tech, like they were with Morrowind and prior games. They also might be looking into ways to make their worlds even more dynamic - their modular world design makes an ideal candidate for more destructible environments, although there are still some major issues with pathfinding, level design, and how destruction data is saved or repaired, before that can really be accomplished.

sw1ss

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:23 pm

Probably, but remember also that part "... you'll probably see those two other projects before TESVI. It will make sense years from now." (again paraphrasing). It sounds like they have something planned this time that goes beyond what you'd normally think of as "reasonable", given what they've done in past games. Like the entire continent (since TESO are doing it they might feel the pressure not to let their next be lesser in scope?), or a province in 1:1 scaling, or - something. Unlikely, I know, but such things are what Howard seemed to be alluding to in this interview. It could of course be just hype and marketing though, or an attempt to warrant why it apparently won't follow the usual cadence. I don't think TESO distracted their fan base as much as they counted on.

Toby Green

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:12 pm

Good to hear you enjoyed FO4.

I'm still playing as it is not at all a bad game, but I must admit that even with the story lines, the computer terminal logs and the various quirks and things I'm finding thru the game, it feels so much like a FO3 deja vu that it's jarring.

You must understand: I found things different with the ES series. For instance, though Oblivion and Skyrim share a variety of things, I found the look, feel and 'sense' of the game to be extremely different.

It could be that there is inherently more breadth of artistic/creative expression possible in ES than in FO - the lore for each series is extremely different. Perhaps FO would benefit from an expansion of its lore. For instance - what if Las Vegas wasn't the only part of the earth to survive relatively intact?

But that's neither here nor there. Due to the developments (and, I guess, non-developments) stemming from the E3 presence of Bethesda and the statements they have made, I'm wondering if the corporation as a whole (including BGS, Bethesda Softworks and Zenimax) is revising its strategy.

I think it will pay to keep a careful watch on executive comings and goings (if any) and pay careful attention to future announcements. For now, I fear that ES as a single player game is in jeopardy. Let's see if anything over the next year reinforces or disproves this postulate.

Verity Hurding

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:57 am

Just the opposite. The TES games are distinctly self-contained stories, with the connecting ties mostly being some background world elements. Morrowind didn't deal with the aftermath of the Illiac Bay conflicts beyond some mentions of it in a book, Oblivion didn't deal with the death/disappearance of the Tribunal aside from a couple rumors, Skyrim didn't deal with the crumbling Septim Dynasty aside from some recaps of the interregnum and the Mede Empire. So I don't see why TES6 needs to deal with the Thalmor now that their tale in Skyrim's civil war is done.

Personally, I'll be disappointed if TES6 ends up with a recurring villain like the Thalmor. Each game thus far has been a self-contained story that doesn't come off the coat-tails of the previous game's story, with its own tale of heroes and villains. Have them mentioned, fine, but they already got their time in the spotlight.

Naomi Lastname

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:54 pm

Wasn't the lack of the Tribunal one of the things that made the Oblivion crisis possible? Wasn't that what that doomsday guy in Mournhold was saying, the guy Almalexia sends you to silence?

sas

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:16 pm

Tribunal and Bloodmoon foreshadow the Oblivion Crisis. But the story of the two games isn't directly related.

Avril Louise

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:48 pm

Yeah, I agree. I think in Skyrim when they referenced all their past games, I doubt they were actually planning on that all leading up to Alduin while they were developing Arena through Oblivion. I could be wrong, but it seems like a rather easily put together "all these things had to happen for this to happen" that they threw in there just to make it more epic.

Angela Woods

Previous

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion