The Elder Scrolls VI is a long ways off - Interview #2

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:53 pm

THREAD 1:

http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1603434-the-elder-scrolls-vi-is-a-long-ways-off-interview/

I know there's not much to really further discuss on this topic but I thought I'd like to throw my two cents in.

While I have a love/hate relationship with the most recent news concerning TES VI, I'm actually learning to accept, realize and believe that it is in BGS' best personal interest to once again revolutionize open world RPGs. And yes when I say "once again" I am referring to Morrowind. So I am completely okay with waiting for them to do what they have to do, acquire the technology needed and make their vision that is TES VI, come to life.

When it comes to envisioning what the next game will be like for me personally and the reasoning for BGS waiting for tech to catch up is obviously larger game worlds, perhaps 2x or 3x the size of what they would normally create, large-scale battles, seasonal foliage (They tried this in Skyrims Game Jam but I guess the tech wouldn't support it) and lastly, wishful thinking here, but maybe some way to possibly use our own voice for the protagonist. I could see TES VI being centered around the Aldmeri Dominion taking place in Alinor, Valenwood and Elsweyr. I could go on but I think that's enough for now.

As far as predicting the announcement time...it really is hard to say. Bethesda has always said it will be a while or a long time before they talk about their next game and then just a year later BOOM! Announcement. They did this with both Skyrim and Fallout 4 I believe. And this is the part where the hate comes into play because they've changed as a developer, in a good way mind you. They announced the new BGS back in December to help build games together with the Maryland Studio. But we still don't know what exactly they are working on. Now the man with the plan, Todd Howard, has two other "major" projects (which are games confirmed by Pete Hines on Twitter) so it's really frustrating to get a good estimate of when we'll get TES VI announcement. They're all over the place now but that's a good thing. I'm glad to see them extremely busy and wanting to give us more content. It was so much easier before though when they would just transition back and forth between Fallout and The Elder Scrolls because that's all they would work on. Now they have another studio and two more games in the works. With all of that being said, my estimate would have to be 2020. If it's sooner than that, awesome! If it's later then it's just going to be that much more greater. Okay sorry, I'm done.
Farrah Lee

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:51 pm

This is the last thing I ever want in a quality roleplaying game. Sorry, but I loathe the idea. I hope it never comes to any Elder Scrolls game, for two reasons:

1. It is not roleplaying. Speaking lines in my own voice is the exact opposite of roleplaying. Roleplaying is (or used to be) about playing a character. I am not my character and, as far as I'm concerned, "playing as myself" is not roleplaying in any meaningful way. I am not a female, or a Khajiit or an Argonian. I do not want to use my own voice to speak the lines for characters who are not me.

2. I live in a house with other people. Talking into a microphone disturbs the other people who live with me. We have different schedules and often we want to game when others are trying to sleep. Several of these other people are also gamers. If we all start talking into our microphones at the same time our household will quickly turn into a confusing, unbearable cacophony of voices.

lacy lake

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Lol yeah I get your point. And I didn't mean for it to sound like it should be mandatory. I for one have always played as myself in the ES games, just the nords I made though, so that's why I said wishful thinking.
tannis

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:33 pm

I am kind of with Pseron on this, although for slightly different reasons. You see, I am opposed to all player dialog. I prefer the old topics we had in Morrowind and Oblivion because I like to imagine what my character says, rather than having the game tell me what my character said.

With a topic system, I can imagine what my character says and how they sound when they say it. So, I am opposed to anything that adds unneeded details to the PC half of the conversation.

If we must have complete sentences for the PC, I'd prefer them to be as short and simple as possible and not to have any sound to them. Having to say it out loud in my own voice would ruin immersion unless I was doing some voice acting with it, but that would be kind of a pain and there are only a few characters I could pull off convincingly.

But I like your ideas for Alinor, Valenwood or Elsweyr. :)

Sarah Evason

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:23 pm

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but here's an actual video with Todd Howard talking to some gamespot.com employee where he says that the two projects Bethesda Game Studios is working on is two AAA video games that they are developing. It's not Virtual Reality (VR) at all since they are developing Fallout 4 for Virtual Reality (VR) and other video games possibly using Virtual Reality (VR) and it's not Fallout Shelter or The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/todd-howard-talks-modding-at-bethesda-e3-2016/2300-6432858/

Kanaoka

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:44 pm

I think it's good thing that he said that TES VI is a long way off. That means they want the TES series to be the top dog when it comes to technology and RPGs. Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion were innovative for their time in terms of graphics and open-world gameplay and how you build your character. So by BGS having this grand goal for TES VI, means that they want to be a the forefront of graphics, and RPGs.

Lindsay Dunn

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:33 pm

It's not that hard to predict the general release date. TES VI is probably coming out 11/12/2027 or something (at least in 2027, 2025 at the very earliest). They often release their games on Fridays, they seem to be preferring to stick with November release dates, and right now, there really isn't a reason to think that the time between releases will be less than four years.

The games we're seeing first are probably Starfield and maybe Fallout 5 (unless a new trademark is filed once they're done updating Fallout 4, but pre-production on Fallout 5 is rumored to have started though).

It's not written in stone, but I predict TES VI is coming out November of 2027, and 2025 or 2026 if any project before that releases a little earlier than expected. It's clear they are aiming to skip doing a new TES game this console generation regardless.

Darlene DIllow

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:17 pm

I can't tell if you are joking or honestly believe that, lol
Star Dunkels Macmillan

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:47 pm

I think it's a mistake, he meant to say 2037, lol. Or 2047

Phoenix Draven

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:05 am

LoL of course it's not Fallout Shelter, that one's been out for nearly a year

Ellie English

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:07 pm

The rumor that Fallout 5 is in pre-production means very little. They always start "pre-production" as soon as the prior game finishes - they started Fallout 4 immediately after wrapping up 3, but that was in pre-production while they focused on Skyrim. They said the same thing about starting Skyrim development right after Oblivion. If the pattern holds, TESVI is currently in pre-production too.

Betsy Humpledink

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:13 pm

But theres a rumour that Fallout 5 is in pre production....anyway there is no rumour that TESVI is in pre production.

I find HILARIOUS that Fallout 5 maybe is in preproduction and not TESVI.

Why are they even wanting to release Fallout 5 before TESVI having released Fallout 4 after Skyrim...is just nonsensical.

This secrecy...Todd all nervous and not feeling good while talking about TESVI...Pete banning Todd from being on E3 stage...I mean..feels like its a menace to talk about TESVI...but at the same time a romour regarding Falout5 preproduction appears.

To me...its all because of Zenimax forcing them to hold or forget about more TES sp games because of ESO. My opinion is that this won't end well.
Adriana Lenzo

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:03 am

I am 100% sure that both Fallout 5 and TES: VI are in at least pre-production/planning stage. There doesn't need to be any rumours, you just need common sense.

Sarah Bishop

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Todd said they were working on TES VI. That likely means preproduction given his other statement that it would be a very long time. But he did say they were working on it.
Jesus Sanchez

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:16 pm

To me it seemed more that they have a rough outline of setting, story etc, but that current technology isn't adequate for what they wanna do, and that's why the project is on the backburner

neen

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:17 pm

Are you mad? They said Fallout 4 was 'very, very long way off' too, 2 years before it was released. It is clear they are waiting for the upgraded consoles to be released (next year) so it seems more reasonable that 2018/19 is a more accurate estimate. They have expanded as a dev. It is not the same one team making all the games.

Trevi

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:36 pm

That's preproduction. Working out the general outline, figuring out what they're going to do, what they'll need to be able to do what they have planned, how much time/money it'll take, etc. Then it can enter full production.

Kieren Thomson

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:24 pm

They just want people to know TES VI is not coming soon, because otherwise everyone would be disappointed every year they didn't reveal TES.

Basically the message is "Sorry people, don't expect TES in our next E3s, we are working on other games at the moment".

Lauren Graves

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:49 am

Bethesda Game Studios is working on developing like 4 video games.

Fallout 5 as confirmed in pre-production a few months ago Todd Howard confirming they are thinking about what to do with The Elder Scrolls VI and 2 other AAA video games, which one of them is Starfield I hope.

I really hope Starfield is the next video game after Bethesda Game Studios finished developing releases for sale in 2018.

Todd Howard said he wants to adopt the latest newest technologies faster than ever before and he wants to have the technology to make his vision of what The Elder Scrolls VI can be.

This time I really believe that they aren't throwing us off like they did with Fallout 4.

The Elder Scrolls VI has to be released for sale in 2023 or at least 2021.

Or did I misunderstand your comment with what you are trying to say?

Kara Payne

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:03 am

ChapTES seems to have a good point: with new console hardware due in another year, that is very likely the "technical" delay. While a lot of the artwork and undrlying game design can proceed without the target platoform details, there's also a lot of code that can't be done until the limitations and possibilities of the hardware are better understood. That would pretty much rule out 2017 and 2018, and I'm not sure if the platform-specific end can be wrapped up by 2019 or not.

As I said in the previous thread, if Bethesda has two projects ahead of it, probably one due for announcement shortly and release in a year, with the second a year or two later, that probably puts TES VI into 2020, possibly 2021. We MIGHT see it in 2019, but I'm not expecting it that soon. Any later than 2021 makes no sense from ANY perspective that I can see, and a full decade between releases already borders on economic insanity. Why wait 10 years between titles when you can literally make a fortune in 5 years, and make ANOTHER fortune at the end of the 10 year span. That's not a quality issue, because you can produce a great game in 5 years, and it's not a "burnout" issue because you don't need the entire team at every step of the way, so some of the smaller groups for specialties that are between tasks can work on another IP for a change.

....unless Todd Howard and/or the leaders of the team in general are sick and tired of TES and want to move on, in which case TES VI would be relegated to being the "other" project to work on during slow spells in the development cycle of whatever their current priority may be.

jeremey wisor

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:24 am

The first 2 projects coming before TES VI are not necessarily developed by the same main team, especially after they acquired the Montreal team and possibly also expanded their own staff in the main office They developed Fallout 4 and Fallout Shelters concurrently, so I am almost certain they can work on all projects in parallel, and I have a strong feeling one of their other 2 projects is a mobile game.

Trying to anolyze Todd Howard own words, why if he explains TES VI to us it will make us wonder we don't have the technology and how long it's gonna take? Is it a new rendering technique in their new engine? Is it the size and level of detail they will invest in the new game that will exceed anything else in the market today? Is it what we will be able to do in the new game?

I too envision massive-scale events and crafting system in TES VI like building forts and armies, and fighting epic battles. That may require processing GPU/CPU power that is not in the mainstream average gaming machines today, which what Todd was referring to as "the technology".

As for the "very long way off" time frame, in a fast-paced industry this could mean 2 or 3 years only. Time is always subjective, and we have seen these kind of expressions in PR statements before and it didn't turn out that long really.

LittleMiss

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:57 pm

At leas one of those new AAA video games will be developed by Bethesda Game Studios Montreal.

I'm hoping Starfield is the video game being developed by Bethesda Game Studios Maryland to be released for sale in 2018, It would still put The Elder Scrolls VI to get released for sale in 2021 or 2023.

noa zarfati

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:33 am

Geez Ballows100 stop spreading your unfounded personal speculations as facts

emily grieve

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:34 pm

I never said their facts.

That's why I have the words I'm hoping in my comments.

Ann Church

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:01 pm

anyways, is there any reason why bethesda can't just hire a dedicated core teams for TES and then another dedicated core team for FO?

the way i see it, the bulk of development in both TES and FO are spent on level design, quest/dialogue writing, and event scripting. and the reason for that is due to the sheer quantity of those tasks.

so why can't they just outsource a few of those tasks while keeping the core team as supervisors to maintain quality. since majority of those quests and dungeons tend to be quite generic anyways because the core team doesn't have the time to work on them all and making them elaborate or unique.

might as well just outsource that if they can't afford to hire full timers to work on those tasks.

Tikarma Vodicka-McPherson

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion