The Elder Scrolls VI is a long ways off - Interview #2

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:24 pm

New technology = those "new" consoles. They may not be able to release the game until then, but they can code it in a high end PC. A high end PC is likely to be more powerful than that Project Scorpio anyway.

Shannon Lockwood

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:27 pm

I hope they will use this break to create a truly revolutionnary RPG with emergent gameplay, original Radiant AI, more layers of gameplay than ever before, etc...

John N

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:18 pm

meh, most likely scenario for the delay is they often pace the release of TES and FO. coz both are from the same studio and generally developed by the same people, so it didn't matter to them much if they were selling apple pie or mango pie as long as what they're selling actually sells.

so they make up a batch of apple pies and then wait until they sell enough of that batch to recoup expenses and get decent profit, then when the apple pies starts getting stale, that's when they start making a new batch of mango pies, just so the consumers doesn't get an apple pie deliciousness overdose.

so even though the company could probably profit more if they sell apple and mango pies both at the same time. individually, their bakers can only profit on one batch of pies at a time, coz they can only work on one batch of pies at a time.

my initial proposal was to hire more people to work on both pies at the same time, but the problem with hiring more people is that it would hurt individual profit in the long term. because bakers can either join the team that bakes apple pies or join the team that bakes mango pies, and since they would bake both pies simultaneously, individual bakers can no longer profit from baking both apple pie and mango pie in succession.. so here's my new proposal :

i suggest that we merge two parallel timelines together. *mind blown*

in one timeline they are baking apple pies and in another timeline they are baking mango pies... and then we merge these two timelines together into one ultimate apple-mango pie extravaganza timeline so we can have apple pies and mango pies BOTH at the same time.. *aaww yiiiss*

MatthewJontully

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:48 pm

pretty much whats going on

sas

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:29 pm

These people probably did the same thing with f4 .

After watching some new titles t e3 and witcher 3 i want tes to be slightly delayed. There are witcher 3, zero dawn and even zelda innovations that i want in tes

He said they were working on it so im reallty shocked at posters here with thousands of posts saying its dead
brandon frier

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:39 pm

I think those posters are just trying to troll.... and failing.
Natalie J Webster

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:15 pm

It really does make sense to work on more than one game at a time, because not every part of the team is needed at a given stage of development. While issues with one thing in "project A" that's holding up one group are being resolved by a second group, that first group can be working on "project B". That reduces down time, as well as providing a break from the tedium of working on the same project for literally years at a time.

You can be sure that Bethesda ***IS*** working on TES VI, but probably with only a small part of the team, while other parts are working on other projects until "technical" issues get ironed out (most likely relating to the next generation of consoles). Once those issues are resolved, and the current "hot" project is ready for distribution, those groups will start to concentrate on TES. It's not just that it WILL happen, it's all but guaranteed to already be happening, but we have no reliable clues as to the anticipated completion date. Trying to glean meaningful information from the purposely misleading PR statements borders on an exercise in futility, and declaring the end of the world over it lies on the brink of insanity.

While some of what chickenkungfu says makes sense, I don't believe that's the case. In his other comments, the limits on the development of computer hardware ignore other research into alternative technologies, which may eventually make silicon chips as antiquated as vacuum tubes, and may be able to produce individual "features" of only a few dozen atoms. When I hear the doomsday comments about an ultimate limit to computer hardware, I'm reminded of the various short-sighted comments about there only being a world market for a few dozen computers, that nobody will EVER need more than 640K of memory in their PC, or that it would be impossible to make silicon features smaller than one micron. Unfortunately, another major leap in technology to replace the silicon chip is not likely to be practical or marketable for decades, so if Todd Howard is waiting for some monumental breakthrough in computer technology, we're not likely to see a game based on it during the remainder of his lifetime. I really don't think that's the technical limitation he was talking about anyway.

While Zenimax may intentionally be delaying TES due to ESO, the idea of them cancelling it seems absurd.

Motionsharp

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Exactly. Everyone needs to chill the [censored] out - we'll hear about it in a few years. Besides, we'll get at least one other 'proper' BGS game before it, so it's not like there won't be anything whatsoever to look forward to in the meantime.

In fact, given they have so many projects in parallel now, we may as well assume that some of them started during Fallout 4 - and that accordingly they may have another new release closer than we thought. Sure, I'd prefer TES, but I can wait a bit longer if A. we get another game in between, and B. when they do release TES VI it's as innovative and polished as Todd is saying they want it to be.

Let's be honest here: they have been spinning their wheels for a few games now, so I welcome the change in attitude. For one thing, just look at how many people [censored] about the whole 11/11/11 thing. Well now they're taking the complete opposite approach.

^_^

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:57 am

They did announce starting a new project at the same time they announced the "end of development" of Skyrim shortly after Dragonborn was released (i.e. ca 2013). Many then speculated it was Starfield, it MAY of course have been Fallout 4 entering full production, although two years of full production seems kinda short...

how solid

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:33 pm

People, people, PEOPLE. Let's all calm down here. We all want TESVI to come out sooner rather than later. There is really no indication that the series is going to end. Let's not assume the worst.

I am not sure what is up with Pete Hines "banning" Todd Howard from the E3 stage. Can someone fill me in on that? I have no idea what that is about.

Comparing it to Half-Life 3 is an extreme exaggeration. Episode 2 left quite the cliffhanger, and there has been very little communication at all from Valve about HL3 or the Episode 3 that never came out in the near-decade since. It's to the point where Valve enjoys trolling its fanbase, though a lot of times the fans just basically troll themselves and expect it when they have no reason to. The HL series is probably my favorite in the FPS genre, so as much as I'd like to see HL3 I'm not really not going to expect it to come out.

Bethesda, on the other hand, has at least given us some idea about TESVI and where it stands. Todd Howard himself just told us it is a long way off. Elder Scrolls for many or most--if not all--of us is our favorite series (myself included), so it can be easy to see doom and gloom when it doesn't come, but we just need to relax. There is really no good reason yet to think they don't want to make TESVI.

Breanna Van Dijk

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:54 pm

Someone asked Pete Hines on Twitter why Todd Howard didn't take the stage at all during the presentation. I'll have to dig up the tweet, but he basically said they decided not to because then everyone would suddenly assume TESVI was happening when it wasn't. Considering that all the studio had to show was Fallout 4 DLC, Fallout Shelter, and Skyrim Remastered, they didn't want to present it with a ton of fanfare.

naana

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:49 am

Well, that makes perfect sense. And there really wasn't any reason to think anything significant about TESVI would be announced this E3 anyways.

People really need to stop looking for things to feed this pessimism. Thanks for the info.

Julie Serebrekoff

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Yeah, I remember reading articles in business publications back in the early 1990s saying that the internet would never replace traditional retail because people liked the social interactions of "going to the mall" and the ability to see and touch what they were buying way too much to ever abandon shopping malls for internet shopping. Guess whoever wrote that article was investing in shopping malls instead of Amazon. Wonder how well that worked out for them . . .

Yeah, I agree. The idea that Bethesda is abandoning their biggest cash cow is absurd.

Emma louise Wendelk

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:22 pm

As is the idea that the delay will somehow kill consumer interest. Duke Nukem Forever was in development hell for 15 years, and passed over by 3 entire generations of First Person Shooters, and the announcement that it was finally getting released garnered a lot of attention. Doom was in development for 12 years, and even after a less than well recieved Doom 3, it's announcement in 2014 (after Doom 4 was abandoned) basically blew the internet up. And do people really think that if Bioware announced a Baldur's Gate 3 (as opposed to Beamdog, which seems to be trying to handle the rights) people wouldn't get excited? Hell, just rumours of a new Crash Bandicoot has gotten some people into a frothing frenzy.

This isn't a situation where Bethesda is dropping off the face of the earth for 10, 15 or 20 years. They're still making games. But even those games are unlikely to totally be able to kill their name and reputation (again, look at ID, who were panned for Doom 3 and who received mountains of hate over the multiplayer beta for Doom, and then deliver an immensely successful old-school shooter).

I would bet my entire Eldar army that, even if they waited until 2025, as soon as people heard the first 3 beats of Soule's now iconic theme, there would be a riot at E3 (or whatever conference survives it).

Jade Payton

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:20 pm

when Shenmue 3 was announced at E3 2015 it made a big deal, despite the last game being released 15 years prior..

the assertion that going awhile without releasing a game "kills interest" appears to be false, as we have more info that shows the opposite

Taylor Tifany

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:45 pm

Yeah I don't see interest in video games start going away from people if their favorite video games that they love playing very much doesn't come out for ten years or fifteen years.

Like you said with Duke Nukem Forever, DOOM (2016), and even SONY's The Last Guardian people started getting so excited when they were announced again that they would be released for sale soon and purchased or will purchase the video games or those video games in the millions or so.

The same thing will happen with The Elder Scrolls VI. Once Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game Studios announces it will become available for sale in 2021 or 2023 millions of people will still purchase it.

The Elder Scrolls video games are a lovable franchise anyways that people can't let go of because oh look a flower lets go pick it up or oh look a plate on the table lets go pick it up.

Chelsea Head

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:35 am

It's pretty obvious that Zenimax has told Bethesda to shift their focus elsewhere in order to save ZOS from the damage a future elderscrolls title could do to the development and cash flow of ESO.

Think about it! ESO has never had to compete with another Elderscrolls title -- it was released after Skyrim. Any Elderscrolls title would most likely take away a large portion of the ESO fan base for some time as a lot of people play ESO because they want fresh TES content. And the remaining player base, the MMO portion literally has no loyalty to any game... they just go to where their friends are and whatever the next best thing is.

Knowing Bethesda however, they're not major risk takers when it comes to their home-grown IPs... Fallout 4 is a sign of this, and TES VI not coming out at the same time as ESO's life cycle is also another major indicator. So I bet that one of their next titles will be in Akavir but will not even be classified as "The Elderscrolls."

Doing something like this would allow them to indirectly cater to Elderscrolls fans by creating that "morrowind-feeling" game that doesn't directly fight with ESO but also is close enough to the lore that would make it more easily adoptable.

What the other game could be...? No idea.. Maybe Fallout 5.

NAtIVe GOddess

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:55 pm

There's also that sometimes a series needs to take a break to retain interest or keep fresh. They needn't worry about their hardcoe fans being interested in the next TES even if it came out tomorrow, but for the gaming public as a whole there seems to be a kind of 'open world fatigue' setting in, where anything and everything has to be made open world and people are getting kinda tired of it*. There's also the fact that BGS doesn't stand-out with their open world titles as much as they used to. Yes, Bethesda's style of open world is unique and their games are still popular, but look at how many people keep trying to compare it to the Witcher 3, and even New Vegas, despite operating on very different principles. That's a clear indication that BGS' open world formula does not stand out in the crowd as much as it used to, that there's not enough on display to make people realize how they're different. So taking time and holding back on TES6 to heavily refine their formula may be just what it needs to revitalize the series and avoid becoming lost in the crowd.

* Not to say open world games are going to die or disappear, but people will start being more conservative about such games. It's going to be less of a selling point, and people may think negatively of games that proclaim such a feature unless it's a fundamental part of what makes the game good and fun.

Lou

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:18 pm

One must consider the possibility that Bethesda and its parent Zenimax are rethinking their game development strategy.

Like I said: things such as Skyrim Remastered, ESO and Legends look an awful lot like harvesting operations.

What creates even more concern is the FO4 reaction. Sure, lots of people bought the game, but the overall feedback was one of deep disappointment. I'm playing it now myself and, though I am enjoying it somewhat, I can't escape the feeling that I'm just seeing a mild rehash of FO3. There are even quite a few scenes and environments which look like Washington DC, as if the devs simply lifted designs from one game to another and gave them a mild graphical update.

Perhaps Zenimax has a set of executives who are fighting to take the company in a completely different direction.

On the surface, that makes zero sense - after all, ES has been phenomenally successful and FO was bought to expand Bethesda's domination of open world RPG.

But remember: LOTS of stuff at the corporate executive level don't make sense, as they are the result of executive egos battling for political supremacy. Pardoxically, this sort of destructive internal squabbling is quite characteristic of companies that have vaulted themselves into the stratosphere. Once they believe internally that there are no more dragons to slay, the senior and exec management begin feeding on each other in order to advance their careers.

The decisive test will be when Bethesda releases one of the two 'AAA' titles under development (presumably before ES6 or FO5, as they have seemingly indicated.) If it's not a good game, then the move away from ES single player will have been the result of corporate infighting.

Oh, well. It's too bad. I am saddened to see this franchise come to such an end.

Quick draw II

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Im clearly seeing the open world fatigue??

Mmo players are probably not interested in skyrim As much as we think.

How much of their market pealed away due to witcher 3/fallout 4. Probably less than 10%
Steeeph

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:01 pm

The Elder Scrolls video games as singleplayer only video games are not coming to a end.

I still don't understand why people are saying this.

Eileen Collinson

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:56 pm

Really? It seems strange to me to read this. Now I haven't played F4. But from videos I've seen it strikes me as a shocking departure from what Bethesda has made before in a number of ways. Possibly for the worse. I'm still against the whole voiced main character thing on general principle.

But still, for better or worse, what I've seen doesn't strike me as being a rehash of F3.

That said, you have played it and I haven't, could you be more specific?

loste juliana

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:26 am

I very much hope you are right.

But I'm left with the worst impression from the E3 announcements and statements. Truly the worst.

Rachie Stout

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:48 pm

It's just that I find the environment, along with incredible number of buildings and urban areas, seem almost like copies of FO3 areas with very cosmetic changes at best.

True: it's a FO game, so all the games should have plenty of commonalities. But there is a difference between 'commonality' or 'similarity' and 'cut&paste.' There's just too many places that look like a near perfect cut & paste from FO3 to FO4.

This left me with the impression that Bethesda was............how do I put it.............'exhausted' or 'tired' with these open world RPG titles/series. Either that, or some executive(s) pushed the devs to 'wrap things up quickly.' This would be in line with one or more execs making a 'power play' in the company and pushing it in new directions. In those kinds of inside political games, it doesn't actually matter to the instigators whether the 'new direction' is a genuinely good idea or not; what matters to them is that they are given control, and thus the reins of power.

(By the way: if anyone is getting the impression that I have a generally poor opinion of corporate executive types, your impression is justified.)

A dead giveaway would be if someone like Todd Howard resigned this year or Kirkbride told the press that he was making a definitive break with Bethesda.

Dewayne Quattlebaum

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:00 pm

See, I get a very different feel out of it. Some degree of environmental similarity is there, but the urban environment feels far more. Emphasised than in Fallout 3. There's more verticality, more diverse structures, better stories...

And the stories I think are where. the idea of fatigue with the genre falls flat the most. Every environment in Fallout 4 has some story, either dispersed through Terminals, Notes or just item placement. They are usually distinct from whatever activity you are there for (which sets them apart from Skyrim's dungeon-stories) and serve to relay the events of the War, the survivors, the bandits, the rise of the Institute and the little stories of people in the Commonwealth.

You don't take the time to arrange buckets of dead fish in an Asylum to tell a tale of abandonment and desperation. You don't write backstories for cannon fodder raiders and their own personal struggles. You don't write about the panic of researchers locked in a sealed lab because one of their husbands is trying to shield them from the radiation and looting outside. You don't add these little details and stories if you're tired with something, or being told to rush it out the door. You copy-paste environments and drop the occasional impassable debris to try and make it look distinct (Dragon Age 2).
lillian luna

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion