The Unofficial Healthy-Dose-of-Pessimism Thread

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:05 am

My thoughts:

1. Maybe my standards in graphics are low but my first thought was that I'll need a new computer to replace my 2009 laptop.
2. That scene with the power armoured soldier riding in the vertibird looks reminiscent of Call of Duty.
3. That dog is cute.
Emilie M

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:52 am

Being a white knight doesn't entail letting random potential threats wander into their house. By wasteland standards, here saints. Those angry Outcasts left because they were too busy being white knights to focus on their much more selfish agenda.
Susan

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Again, no good reason or trivial is your opinion. I view the lore and history, and things such as gender, as very important. Even the most slightest detail, can give important insight into the protagonist.

Being male, can be significant. Take for example a male courier, who could potentially have multiple children grow up around the Mojave and thus the impact they could have on the region, being of this "heroes" genetic heritage.

While some canonical events are obviously more important than others, which I have not disputed, I am saying what in your opinion is trivial is not trivial to others.
Monika

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:02 am

The BoS aren't white knights they shot non feral ghouls on sight,slaughtered the people in the pit ,etc and the water programm is PR.Autumn wanted to do the same despite being a xenophobic asshat.

-------------

Apart from that what theme do you think the Vault will have?

TOYA toys

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:03 am

Really? That's weak. "Genetic heritage" is a bit of a silly point anyway. There is no "wanderlust gene".

The Bishop thing works as a joke, *if* you chose to interpret that as being the Chosen One's offspring of course because again NV never tells you it is.

stephanie eastwood

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:38 am

We already have a base-line when it comes to a crap Fallout game, remember The Burned Game AKA Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel exists.

Personally i liked what i saw in the trailer.

As far as the Power Armor goes... Come on, guys. The Power Armor is as iconic to Fallout as Vaults, it has to be there.

Plus, the whole premise of The Institute was that they were technologically surperior to even The Enclave, so yes, they probably also have Power Armor and Vertibirds at their disposal.

Having a voiced protagonist probably won't make the game more sparse in dialog options than Skyrim. I think TESV is as low as Bethesda will go with dialog.

Who knows, maybe there will be two voice actors, one male / one female. So we can still have our precious character costomization.

In the end, i think it was just for the trailer. It would seem very unlike Bethesda to suddenly have the PC say anything more than; Uhf! Argh! *pant pant* and FUS RO DAH! :D

Krystina Proietti

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:00 am

ORRRR it's a clear reference to the Chosen One's adventures. Just like the dead Deathclaw that was locked up, and the fact that Navarro clearly wasn't shot to pieces. We get Ulysses and our own brain in OWB spelling out the Courier's own prior adventures to them, and we know for a fact that the VD was male. Fallout isn't TES. It's always been more than happy to establish canon.
joseluis perez

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:50 am

It is heavidly implied, based upon the Bishop child ending of FO2, that the Mr. Bishop spoken of in NV is indeed the CO child.

Also, I said nada about a wanderlust gene. Only that varying children, in particular those of the CO or Courier, would be very interesting. I would imagine an offspring between Red Lucy and the Courier to be a very dangerous person.
Zoe Ratcliffe

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:35 am

There has been a lot of mention about the obvious vault dweller jumpsuit and what it might mean for the main protag. What if that is just an option. Every RPG has multiple endings, what if this one has multiple beginnings?

Maybe you can choose 3-5 simple back stories, with full character creation that all start under different circumstanses. Vault Dweller, Ghoul, BoS Outcast, Super Mutant, the options are endless and thsoe stores cross each other. These other possible protags are optional companions.

I am giveng them a lot of credit for something that hans't even been alluded to but I can dream.

Nikki Morse

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:24 pm

I am not a pessimist. The only thing negative from the trailer has to do with the graphics, and the graphics aren't completely bad as some people say...

Some graphical aspects are obviously improved: Many environment textures are crisp and detailed, the game seems to have actual dynamic lighting, and the old habit of applying a monochromatic tint (green on Fallout 3, gray/blue on Skyrim) is GONE, and thankfully the colors seem to be closer to reality, at least during the "now" parts of the video, because the "past" parts seem like a Pixar movie.

Now what is wrong with the graphics of Fallout 4, is the fact that some textures seem to not be detailed enough. Pay attention to what I say: I don't say that they are blurry, they are not, but they lack detail. And that makes some models to look cartoonish or plastic, something which is more obvious looking at the human characters.

Of course modders are going to make out 'realistic' texture packs immediately, so it doesn't matter that much if you are on the PC, but for console players, I guess the cartoonish feel is something you will have to cope with, if you don't like it.

What the trailer made me think of is this: Since the game doesn't seem to be needing too much of processing horsepower for its graphics, what will it be using it for ? Open cities ? Seamless transitions from exterior to inside buildings ? More NPCs on screen ? Larger draw distance ?

Sophie Payne

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:45 am

I'm guessing a military themed vault.

I base this off of the flashbacks in the trailer (showing a husband, wife and baby, i assume that the main PC is the husband or the wife).

Also that the player housing (i assume thats what that is where the dog and the salvaged power armour suit are) has a power armour suit, which i assume is the PC character's, and the PC character would have needed power armour training (probably from pre war).

Also the vertibird in the trailer, i think it's gonna be a player vehicle/transportation thing, another thing to strengthen the main PC being an ex military person.

jessica sonny

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:57 am

It's heavily implied if you choose to view it that way. On the other hand you can choose to view it as the Bishop women riding every semi-able bodied man to pass through New Reno.

You can imagine that a male Courier may have spread his seed all you like, just as I can imagine the various deeds of my female Courier.

But neither is required or relevant to be made canon.

Jade Payton

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:13 pm

I've been kind of thinking a little about the Institute and what sort of wacky adventures they had inventing...whatever it was they were creating, and I was wondering what they did in relation to Big MT. I mean, wasn't the point of Big MT to throw a bunch of the most ambitious and intelligent researchers into one facility and let them go crazy? So, what point would the Institute have in that world if Big MT had everything the students there could only dream of? Or, is the Institute the East Coast Big MT or maybe it was the legal, pre-war public version of Big MT. Perhaps it's the post-apocalyptic research facility that is still going strong?

It just seems the Institute would be obsolete (as a place and a concept) if Big MT already exists in the FO universe.

cassy

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:52 am

This is what i'm hoping for. Would be nice with larger in-city areas, because that was a thing that bugged me a bit with The Strip for instance (and some of the DC ruins).

I’m my own

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:54 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/38dd29/the_fake_employee_leaker_from_last_year/

Seems like the leak was true, almost every word of it. The Fallout 4 protagonist is voiced, and cannot be played as a woman. Character creation, however, is still functional.

Juliet

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Please no the whole teleportation floating brain FOR SCIENCNE stuff was,at least in my opinion,way over the top.

Let's wait until the E3 shows us actual gameplay.

Louise Dennis

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:27 am

Yeah I stopped reading at the "wife named Lydia" part, and it already lost credibility at the "lol I'm a playtester posting this for revenge." part.

Come on. Yeah I'm worried that Bethesda will be dumb enough to pull this, but obvious troll is obvious.

neen

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:11 am

There are plenty of Think Tanks even in the real world, but that doesn't stop technology from being developed elsewhere.

Breautiful

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:42 am

Best comment ever.

clelia vega

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:09 pm

There's nothing in that document that is out of order. By process of correlating what's in that document and what we've seen so far, you can easily draw parallels. Just takes a little thinking power

gary lee

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:57 am

Dude, the troll cribbed the info from here: http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956 which *is* correct to give credibility to their stupid lies.

YO MAma

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:59 am

Never claimed otherwise.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I see nothing of value in details that are canonized for no reason but to shoe horn in some throw away references. Canonizing choices cheapens those choices, I can understand major choices because narrative and world building should always take priority, but canonizing minor details like the Vault Dweller's gender for the sake of canonizing them? I will never agree that this is a good idea.

Felix Walde

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:42 pm

http://i.imgur.com/N5rtzEs.png

This script also goes hand in hand with what we've seen so far. Too similar to ignore.

Tamara Dost

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:48 am

Yeah. The troll read that too genius.

courtnay

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:54 am

He's claiming he IS the dude who sent those leaked documents. It's the same guy, he didn't steal anything.

You should read the full excerpt to understand.

DarkGypsy

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 4