uGridsToLoad Skyrim.ini Comparisons and Explanation (Default

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 1:38 pm

This post was last updated the 16th of January 2012

KEEP AN EYE ON THIS THREAD AS IT WILL CONTINUE TO BE UPDATED FOR AS LONG AS I AM FIDDLING WITH IT...

I've used several "spoiler" tags in order to try and condense this post to more easily navigate it, if you are having troubles with spoiler tags, i suggest you use firefox/googlechrome/internet explorer to view them, or update if you already are using one of those 3.

There is a lot of confusion still somewhat floating around and i figured I'd take the time and now only show a working solution, but at least have direct discussion about ugridstoload as well as work with alternative ideas about the buffers and preloadmemory size and anything else that has a direct impact.

first off, THIS function is not put into the skyrimprefs.ini file... IGNORE SKYRIMPREFS.INI file completely in this thread if you please, we are going to talk specifically about SKYRIM.INI file itself... tweaks, suggestions, trial n errors and so forth..

What works.. what doesn't... etc. and so forth.

But I'll start off with likely the LARGEST difference maker in this game in terms of graphics quality and of course performance impact.

First off, the function/switch/command "ugridstoload" basically referres to the section of landscape that include specific details/models/animations and so forth pertaining to it. The more you load, the further/more of these will be shown, the further the LOD style (and terrible looking) placeholders are put back. Higher value, Significantly higher levels of detail and quality and of course more stress on your computer in total... I've found personally that the video card is only a minor if not medium factor in this, and that the CPU/RAM/VRAM etc play a huge role.

If you have anything less than 1GB video card, don't bother trying anything beyond 7, it's not going to be worth it.

Since most people would LIKE to know and CLEARLY see the differences I've taken the time take screenshots of 2 different points of view at a high resolution (which can be shrunk down per your needs if your browser support automatically shrinking images). The screenshots are taken from almost the same place, just different directions. You'll see.

This spoiler tag refers to a now dated as of version 1.3 skyrim patch, method of gaining 4gb support Do not use if running 1.3 or newer version of skyrim
Spoiler
I would also like to address something that has been confirmed to be a possible REQUIREMENT if you intend on using ugridstoload in any way shape or form. You must manual patch TESV.exe file (the skyrim program itself) with the LAA patch. This patch Enables a 32bit Flag that allows it full access to more than 2gb of available physical or addressable memory. There are a few people reporting that adding textures enhancements to the game that consumes significantly more memory are causing those with CTDs or at least very infrequent CTDs, to occur much more frequently, some have even reported being unable to load the game or for strange things to start happening. Many of them say that the LAA patch resolved this issue with no other modifications to the game. So this may be a Requirement anyways.

If you experiences CTDs after you apply any ugridtoload setting above Defaults, I highly recommend that you attempt the LAA patch, BUT ONLY if you have 4gb of ram installed or more.

Link to Microsoft source with a very BREIF description of LAA
Spoiler
Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wz223b1z(v=vs.80).aspx

The /LARGEADDRESSAWARE option tells the linker that the application can handle addresses larger than 2 gigabytes. By default, /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:NO is enabled if /LARGEADDRESSAWARE is not otherwise specified on the linker line.

By default Almost all programs developed today do not have this fuction enabled for maximum compatibility. Unfortunately today, many of the limitation of 32bit systems are starting become clearly apparent. It's time to move on.

The following file located at ~> http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013 is the 4GB Launcher that INJECTS the LAA protocol/function/tag/flag into skyrim without having to manually set the flag, Additionally it allows updates and patches to be applied to skyrim without having to go about resetting the flag like the OLDER way (refer to below). So long as STEAM is running PRIOR to attempting to launch the game via the 4G Launcher, you should be fine.

Direction on using installing/using the above 4GBLauncher
Spoiler
The 4GB Launcher MAY NOT work with your specific version of the game, it seems to depend if your running a specific version of windows or if you perhaps bought a retail copy from a store rather than downloading the copy through steam. Details aren't exactly set in stone yet, but i'm sure updates from the creator of this launcher are coming. Greatly appreciate his/her work.

How do you go about using the launcher?

Well here's probably the EASIEST way with as little confusion as possible and less likely to create issues.

First download the file at the location provided ~> http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

After downloading is complete. Open the file and you will see a bunch of files and whatnot inside. Focus on ONLY 2 files that are listed. "skyrim4gb" and "skyrim4gb_helper.dll". Ignore the other files. (see image for reference)

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7788/skyrim4gblauncher1.jpg

What you want to do is select these 2 files and copy/move/extract them to your steam/steamapps/common/skyrim folder (see image for reference)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6749/skyrim4gblauncher2.jpg

If your not sure where Steam is located... typically it is located in the Computer ~> Local Disk C: ~> Program Files..... OR Program Files (x86).... IF you chose to install steam to another location, you'll have to find where that is.... such as E:\Steam.. or D:\Games\steam....

AFTER you have moved the files into the skyrim folder, Right click on the skyrim4gb file and click copy.... go to your desktop and right click anywhere that isn't on something.. and select "Paste shortcut"... a short is made that typically says "Skyrim4gb - shortcut"... you can rename this to anything you like... I would at this point suggest "deleteing" the old Elder Scrolls Skyrim Shortcut so you don't accidentlly run that. BUT MAKE SURE this new launcher works before doing so.

For this launcher to work, you must LAUNCH steam before attempting to use it.

Old LAA patch routine and such that no longer works as of 21/11/11. USE the 4GB launcher
Spoiler
Here is a link to the LAA patch program and how to apply it. WARNING: DO NOT APPLY the patch to the Skyrimlauncher.exe file... this is a NO NO. Apply it ONLY to TESV.exe

Techpowerup Hosted link/file and instructions
Spoiler
Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

This is an application that assists in making applications large address aware. When a 32-bit application is Large Address Aware, it can access up to 4 GiB on x64 operating systems and up to 3 GiB on x86. 64-bit versions of Windows require no modifications to the operating system to benefit from this application; however, in 32-bit versions of Windows, you must increase the user memory setting. Instructions how to do this are in spoiler below. It is not advised to use this application if you have less than 3 GiB of RAM.

This application may not work on older executables (predating 2000).

Basic mode:
http://img.techpowerup.org/100219/basic.png

1) Open an executable to modify (click on the "..." button to browse). Alternatively, you can drag and drop a file on the gray text box.
2) Check or uncheck the box specifying whether or not you want to make it large address aware.
3) Click on save to commit the changes.

Intermediate and advanced mode (Advanced shown):
http://img.techpowerup.org/100221/laa_advanced.png

1) Add files through the "Add" drop down menu or click on on Add Files. Alternatively, you can drag and drop the files into the list view.
2) Select the files you wish to modify by checking the boxes or using the "Select" drop menu.
3) Either click on "Switch Large Address Aware" (turns true to false and false to true) or select an option from the "With Selected" drop down menu.
4) If you wish to remove files from the list, you may do so in Advanced mode via the "Remove" drop down menu.

Requirements:
.NET Framework 3.5 or newer (get the latest version from Windows Update under optional updates).

Disclaimer:
This software is provided without guarantee nor warranty. Use at your own discretion. The creators of this software and the owners of this site cannot be held liable for any damages inflicted.

If you follow the instructions below.... you shouldn't have any issues apply this patch. KEEP IN MIND, that any update to skyrim via steam, will likely change it back to default, and if you do an integrity check, it'll determine that one file was corrupt and fix it. If you do any of these things, you'll have to reapply the patch.

Go to techpowered forum that i link to in the above quoted black that i sourced.

Browse down to the bottom of the first post and download the attached file.

Extract it to a location you'll be able to find easily.

navigate to the location and run the file located inside it.

The "basic" window pops up as it should, as mentioned in the quote above, click the little button on the right side that has the "..." on it. This will bring up a new navigation window.

Navigate to your skyrim installation location. By default it will be C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim\

Inside the Skyrim folder are 2 exe files, one is Skyrimlauncher that YOU DO NOT WANT to apply this patch to, and the other is TESV.exe (may appear as only TESV).

Select the TESV and click OPEN.

Click the "step 2: Large Address aware flag" check box.

Finally click the SAVE button at the bottom.

Exit the program and start playing Skyrim.

IF you cannot find your Steam folder inside Program Files, it is likely because your running 64bit windows (This is a very good thing), and you'll find it in the Program Files (x86) folder instead.

Obviously if it isn't located in either folders, you have likely installed steam to C:\steam or on another drive in another location, you will have to locate it, when you do, the layout is the same, Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim

Applying the patch should look something like this see link below (Screenshot is running windows 64bit with the default steam/skyrim install location used)

http://img210.images...rimlaapatch.jpg/

NOW:

There are no mods, no textures, no special features downloaded and installed, there is no FXAA.

All that has been done is Ultra mode selected, 2x FSAA enabled, Shadows set to 6000 for range, Tree range set to 300,000, Clouds set to 300,000 and FOV set to 100.

Default settings are used in the Catalyst CCC, no changes to LODs or anything else... minimal changes done, mostly just changes to ensure full range drawing.

SKYRIM.INI file changes/additions. the "X" is the variable i am only changing from default of 5 to 7, 9, 11. Setting below 5 will crash and settings above 11 will crash. DO NOT USE 6/8/10 as values, they are not entirely valid.

Skyrim.ini used to take screenshots used in this post for sets #1 & #2 only, NOT recommended, DO NOT USE
Spoiler
[General]
uInterior Cell Buffer=64
uExterior Cell Buffer=256
uGridsToLoad=X
iPreloadSizeLimit=209715200

Presented to you for perhaps a more stable setup by quiksilvr
The thing that made my game more stable was to get rid of interior cell buffer, and calculate exterior cell buffer like this:

(uGrids + 1)^2

So ugridstoload at 7 would have exterior cell buffer at 64.

I've also taken the time to figure out what i think is the BEST WAY to determine the Appropriate PreloadLimit value.... be forwarned, while it appears to be a direct scaled math... it may have no decernable effect.
Depending on the value of your ugridstoload, for your equation like this ~> (uGrids*1024)^2
The default uGrids from what I've gathered is 26214400
using uGrids value of 7, the resulting equation is (7*1024)^2.... if you want to use a calculator in it's long form, just do this
7x1024=

Take what the equals value is and multiply it by itself,
7168x7168=

iPreloadSizeLimit=51380224

so the general layout of your values will look like this, just plug in the number for where "X" is located and then do the math

uGridsToLoad Value of X
[General]
uExterior Cell Buffer=(X+1)^2
uGridsToLoad=X
iPreloadSizeLimit=(X*1024)^2

Taking this advice, a few machines that were a little lower in performance/power capabilities that were experiencing HEAVY CTD I found a more fluent and overall better expience even on the more powerful computer with these following settings.... Keep in mind, these are still heavily debated in what is the BEST options

uGridsToLoad Value of 7
[General]
uExterior Cell Buffer=64
uGridsToLoad=7

These below are for those with more powerful machines....

uGridsToLoad Value of 9
[General]
uExterior Cell Buffer=100
uGridsToLoad=9
iPreloadSizeLimit=84934656

If your really want to bring your machine to its knees.

uGridsToLoad Value of 11
[General]
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
uGridsToLoad=11
iPreloadSizeLimit=126877696

Seems to be that using Direct scaled values work the best..

It's not entirely certain what the preload default value is... some reports are saying 25mb (26214400), others say other things, some even suggest that the preload value will automatically adjust and no specific value has to be set unless yu want to override it.... But rather than setting a massive preloadsize size, i figured i'd get a little more conservative.

So there will be 4 Screenshots in order of the grid value i've given 5~>7~>9~>11
I've made 2 sets of 4 screenshots to show these in order for your viewing ease, and being that they are all stationary, you will be able to tell the difference VERY easily. The high resolution makes it even more easily visable how the changes effect the landscape and surroundings...

Here you go, These are direct links to the images, no need to worry about popups or having to annoyingly click through to view it. WARNING: They are large images.

For easy view and comparison, i recommend loading each screenshot up in a new tab, then switching between tabs to see the differences...this way your not looking at one screenshot and then closing it to load up another... load them all... and then cycle through the tabs to view them with the instant differences making it much clearer.

Screenshots set # 1

uGridstoload=5 ~> http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4240/ugrid15.jpg
uGridstoload=7 ~> http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1742/ugrid17.jpg
uGridstoload=9 ~> http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5830/ugrid19.jpg
uGridstoload=11 ~> http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2339/ugrid111.jpg

Screenshots set # 2

uGridstoload=5 ~> http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7277/ugrid25.jpg
uGridstoload=7 ~> http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4880/ugrid27.jpg
uGridstoload=9 ~> http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3267/ugrid29.jpg
uGridstoload=11 ~> http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4699/ugrid211.jpg

If requested, i may upload more screenshots of the same thing, from any specific place i can get to in skyrim within reason... although i would prefer to do in if there is a good point of view which would clearly show the differences like these ones do.

I'm open to suggestions and opinions and whatever..... feel free to give it a try but consider this:

5 is default ... anything should be able to muster it.
7 is a reasonable improvement, worth it if you have fps to spare
9 is quite taxing, i'd suggest anyone attempting to play with 9, that they make sure they are fine playing at that level... ( personally do not think i'll be playing at 9, 7 seems good enough for my needs)
11 is at a level that is great, but it's really really hard hitting, your going to need some good video card power/juice and a hefty computer (cpu/ram/vram) to push it.

ALSO, for those wondering about corrupting saves due to changing these values.... keep this in mind.

You can ALWAYS open/load a save from a lower GRID value ..... a grid 5 save will load if you change to 7 9 or 11..... a Grid 7 save will load in a 9 or 11, but will crash in a 5.... a grid 9 save will load into an 11 but crashes in a 7 or 5. And so forth.
You can NEVER open/load a save from a higher GRID value.

Keep that in mind when you are playing, because if you say start playing through the game at a GRID value of 9 and find out that it's just to high, you'll have to either accept it, or load up in grid 7 mode and restore from a point BEFORE you started saving using grid 9.

Hopefully that's clearer....

HOW TO REVERT A SAVE/GAME TO A PREVIOUS/LOWER UGRIDSTOLOAD VALUE

This is a very brief method of what is required to revert to the default or LOWER ugrids if you have decided the higher value your using is to much.... but don't want to start the game over or go back to a save hours/days/months when you were running a lower one.

1: Start the game with the current ugrids value..
2: Load the save game that you'd like to revert/change back.
3: Once the game is loaded, ALT+TAB or minimize the game.
4: Navigate to your Skyrim.ini file located typically in the documents/my games/skyrim/
5: Input the Ugrids value you'd like to use, DEFAULT is "5", otherwise if you want to go from 9 down to 7, put in 7.
6: Save the file and then maximize/tab back into skyrim that is already running.
7: hit the "~"/console key and type in "refreshini"
8: Save the game as a new save file.

Now you should be able to exit the game, and check your ini to ensure it still says it is ugrids 5, after which you can load the game, load the save you just made after you had used refreshini console command, and proceed on playing.

If you want to revert other saved game files, you must exit the game, change the ugrids to the value that was being used with that specific save and start at step one to convert it back safely.

The benefit of using this method is that you don't end up with a massive ini file with loads of unnecessary garbage filling it and it also seems to produce the least amount of issues.

If your having trouble alt tabbing, make sure you have a window open of anything.. be it chrome/ie/documents folder.. whatever... even calculator.... because skyrim typically doesn't like alt-tabbing out if there is no other program/window open at the time.

Old outdated and not working solution to reverting your saves to a previous/lower ugrids value
Spoiler
Thanks ibnarabi for the following:

Fix for recovering Saved games/Trying to drop your uGrids value down and load Saved games that used a higher value

alternative way to revert back would be to load the game...

make sure to load the save you want..

alt tab out of the game... manually modify the skyrim.ini file to ugrids 5 and the correct cell buffer.. save the file...

alt tab back into the game and use the console typing "refreshini" give it a moment.. and then attempt to save a NEW game....

Spoiler
If you need to drop down in grids do this;

1) Load game with uGridsToLoad at your current setting.
2) Load the save, which should load correctly.
3) Open the console and type the following:

setini "ugridstoload:general" 5
saveini
refreshini

This has restored the uGridsToLoad setting to its default while your save is already open.

4) Save the game. The save you create now will work at any uGrids setting from the default up

If someone knows a method to load a save file from a higher grid without crashing.... post it up if you don't mind... it'd be appreciated.

LAST WARNING:

The higher the GRID value, the more likely to experience crashes to desktop (CTD)... For me, Grid 11 is to high and occasionally experience a CTD, 9 however never gave me a single lick of a problem.

Thanks, and your welcome.

As Requested, here are my current Skyrim/Skyrimprefs.ini files. (as i am currently playing)

SKYRIM.INI ~> WATCH THIS FILE IF YOU WISH AS IT WILL BE UPDATED REGULARLY AS I MAKE CHANGES
Spoiler

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH
uExterior Cell Buffer=64
uGridsToLoad=7
[Display]
fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=2000.0
fLightLODMaxStartFade=3500.0
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
bAllowScreenshot=0
fDefaultWorldFOV=100
fDefault1stPersonFOV=100.0000
fDefaultFOV=100.0000
fSunShadowUpdateTime=0
fSunUpdateThreshold=0
[Audio]
fMusicDuckingSeconds=6.0
fMusicUnDuckingSeconds=8.0
fMenuModeFadeOutTime=3.0
fMenuModeFadeInTime=1.0
[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0
[GeneralWarnings]
SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.
[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - Voicesixtra.bsa
[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0
[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0
[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=1
bReflectLODTrees=1
[Actor]
fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=12288.0000
f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7

SKYRIMPREFS.INI ~> WATCH THIS FILE IF YOU WISH AS IT WILL BE UPDATED REGULARLY AS I MAKE CHANGES
Spoiler
[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=1
iRadialBlurLevel=2
[Display]
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=2
fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000
fShadowDistance=4000.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
iShadowSplitCount=2
iMaxAnisotropy=16
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=5000.0000
fGamma=1.0000
fDecalLOD2=1500.0000
fDecalLOD1=1000.0000
fSpecularLODStartFade=2000.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000
fLightLODStartFade=3500.0000
iTexMipMapMinimum=0
iTexMipMapSkip=0
iWaterMultiSamples=0
iMultiSample=4
iShadowMode=3
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1920
iSize W=3240
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=2048.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=2844.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=10000000.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=10000000.0000
iScreenShotIndex=2
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=25
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=100
bFloatPointRenderTarget=0
sD3DDevice="AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series"
bFXAAEnabled=0
iShadowMapResolution=4096
fShadowBiasScale=0.2500
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iAdapter=0
iPresentInterval=1
iShadowFilter=3
bTransparencyMultisampling=0
bDrawShadows=1
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7500.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=15000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000
[MAIN]
bGamepadEnable=0
bCrosshairEnabled=1
fHUDOpacity=0.5000
bSaveOnPause=1
bSaveOnTravel=1
bSaveOnWait=1
bSaveOnRest=1
fSkyCellRefFadeDistance=300000.0000
[GamePlay]
bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
bShowQuestMarkers=1
iDifficulty=2
[Interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=1
bGeneralSubtitles=1
fMouseCursorSpeed=1.0000
bShowCompass=1
[Controls]
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0300
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=0
bMouseAcceleration=0
[Particles]
iMaxDesired=1000
[SaveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000
[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000
fVal7=1.0000
uID7=0
fVal6=1.0000
uID6=0
fVal5=1.0000
uID5=0
fVal4=1.0000
uID4=0
fVal3=1.0000
uID3=94881
fVal2=0.4000
uID2=466532
fVal1=1.0000
uID1=554685
fVal0=0.8000
uID0=1007612
[Clouds]
fCloudLevel2Distance=262144.0000
fCloudLevel1Distance=32768.0000
fCloudLevel0Distance=16384.0000
fCloudNearFadeDistance=9000.0000
[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=70000.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=35000.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5000
bShowLODInEditor=0
[NavMesh]
fObstacleAlpha=0.5000
fCoverSideHighAlpha=0.8000
fCoverSideLowAlpha=0.6500
fEdgeFullAlpha=1.0000
fEdgeHighAlpha=0.7500
fEdgeLowAlpha=0.5000
fTriangleFullAlpha=0.7000
fTriangleHighAlpha=0.3500
fTriangleLowAlpha=0.2000
fLedgeBoxHalfHeight=25.0000
fEdgeDistFromVert=10.0000
fEdgeThickness=10.0000
fPointSize=2.5000
[Trees]
bRenderSkinnedTrees=1
uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=20
[Decals]
uMaxDecals=1000
bDecals=1
bSkinnedDecals=1
uMaxSkinDecals=100
uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=60
[LOD]
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultActors=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultSkyCell=1.0000
[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1
bShowAllResolutions=1
uLastAspectRatio=3
[BlurShaderHDR]
bDoHighDynamicRange=1
[BlurShader]
bUseBlurShader=0
[Water]
iWaterReflectHeight=1024
iWaterReflectWidth=1024
bUseWaterDisplacements=1
bUseWaterRefractions=1
bUseWaterReflections=1
bUseWaterDepth=0
bUseWaterReflectionBlur=1
bReflectExplosions=1
iWaterBlurAmount=4
bAutoWaterSilhouetteReflections=0
bForceHighDetailReflections=1
Madison Poo

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 3:22 am

Thank you for spending the time to post this, greatly appreciate it :)
D LOpez

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 4:00 am

Can you PM me your INI prefs and regular INI files?
Emily Martell

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 pm

I'll just append it to the original Post... for you agry eeyore.. (so that anyone has access to it)
Albert Wesker

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 10:41 am

Just tried it, worked fine for a few minutes, never dropped below 30fps even on the fps intensive spots(Though pretty much never hit 60 either).. then CTD (with error), and i reset the tweaks. :P Grid at 9.

i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz

8gb ram

Gtx 580 1.5gb 900/1050/1800
Tom

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 4:20 pm

My spoiler buttons don't work. I click them and nothing happens.
Sami Blackburn

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 5:14 am

PM sent Angry Eeyore
David John Hunter

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 7:29 am

Recent update i did to the game....

using same skyrim/skyrimprefs ini's

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4665/omultrafg1.jpg
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/65/omultrafg2.jpg
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/3267/omultrafg3.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5372/omultrafg4.jpg
Chrissie Pillinger

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 4:17 am

If you need to drop down in grids do this;

1) Start the game with uGridsToLoad at your current setting.
2) Load the save game file
3) Open the console and type the following:

setini "ugridstoload:general" 5
saveini
refreshini

This has restored the uGridsToLoad setting to its default while your save is already open.

4) Save the game. The save you create now will work at any uGrids setting from the default up
Ebou Suso

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 5:59 am

thanks ibnarabi... added your suggestion to the main post for ease of viewing/reading/knowing for others.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 6:36 am

Thanks really much, I was playing around with that line and my save files became corrupt. You just showed my why that happend! Now I'm going to try to repair it.
I can't thank you enough!
Monika

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 3:29 am

Thanks really much, I was playing around with that line and my save files became corrupt. You just showed my why that happend! Now I'm going to try to repair it.
I can't thank you enough!

No problem :)
Good luck!
sarah simon-rogaume

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 9:47 am

Great information, thanks alot :clap:
Rozlyn Robinson

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 3:32 am

This sure looks nice at 7, but damn, my game saves and game stability have gone down the toilet as a tradeoff, so I gotta go without it.
Natasha Biss

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks For the info!!!!

ive been wanting to solve this for a while

thx :celebration:
Sandeep Khatkar

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 5:14 pm

uInterior Cell Buffer=64
uExterior Cell Buffer=256

iPreloadSizeLimit=209715200

I would like a clear explanation regarding these please. What are they, what do they do? And reccommended settings.
OJY

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 11:02 am

This sure looks nice at 7, but damn, my game saves and game stability have gone down the toilet as a tradeoff, so I gotta go without it.

yep looks great but as soon as i get some elevation i CTD

so i guess im stuck with 5
which is as good as not having it :(
LADONA

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 11:24 am

I plan on trying this when I get home, but I am just wondering something. Is the crashing problem at higher GRID levels due to a program stability issue, or the computer not being able to handel it. Could everyone (those doing it with no problems, and those who get the crashes) post their PC specs? Mine are:

CPU: i7 3.4 2600k
Video: GeForce gtx 580 1.5 gig
Memory: 8 gig @ 1600

Will atempt later and post how it is handeling.
Smokey

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 4:55 am

Those who experience crashes, may want to try increasing the amount of RAM Skyrim can use, if you have 4GBs+ of RAM.

First, enable LAA for Skyrim: http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=202

Second, increase RAM Skyrim can allocate in skyrim.ini:
[Papyrus]iMinMemoryPageSize=100000iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000 

Maybe try even higher values for iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes if you want, I set mine to 3.4GBs for instance, and it seems to run fine but I've only played for a few hours. with the ugrid set to 9.

For reference, my system is a Core i7 965 (Quad Core, 3.2Ghz) 12GBs RAM, GTX 580 1.5GBs VRAM.
Laura-Jayne Lee

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 11:31 am

Playing uGridsToLoad at 9 with LAA patch. Loving it. Thx. No crashes no slowdowns, pure bliss.
Alexander Lee

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 2:08 am

Need a more comprehensive set of instructions with this, like minimum ram allocation per grid level to maximize stability. Someone must have some insight into this by now.

All these settings must be tied in with each other.

Example:

IF
uGridsToLoad= X

THEN
iMinMemoryPageSize= >=X
iMaxMemoryPageSize= >=X
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes= >=X

etc. etc.
Kieren Thomson

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 11:06 am

problem solved
Dalia

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 11:51 am

OP I love you!

(not really you understand but i am very grateful!)
Ymani Hood

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 1:44 pm

well my specs are phenom ii x6 3.3ghz
12gb ram
2x 5770 video cards

i never had 1 crash till i tried these settings

i use the LAA patch

set to 9 crashes when i exit caves
set 7 crashes when i climb a mountain
5 seems ok but havent tried it for more than half an hour

it looks great on 9 no lag great fps just CTD

svcks :( i so wanted this to work

maybe it doesnt agree with ati/amd
Got mine working pretty ok i think on 9, with lowest on 32fps looking out from whiterun

But your post made me scared :(
Matt Bee

Post » Tue May 29, 2012 9:32 am

i5-2500k 4.8Ghz OC
Radeon HD 6970 (Crossfire but disabled until profiles come out)
M4 64GB SSD
8GB Ram

I have had uGridsToLoad=20 since last week. I had no idea it could cause CTD, and I haven't had any. It also did not affect my FPS. I also have all the uped memory settings as well. So what is the max uGridsToLoad?
Lauren Graves

Next

Return to V - Skyrim