What's the point of carryweight?

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:46 pm

You confuse me. You essentially get rid of weight values but you would love inventory space.

:facepalm:

It would give us some tradeoffs. For example if you carried 5 super stims in your "first aid" space you could not carry 5 med-x. In such case fast travelling wouldn't help because you needed those drugs instantly.

Other solution would be to have quick items and backpack items. Backpack items could not be used while in combat. It worked in Jagged Alliance II.
Conor Byrne

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:25 am

It would give us some tradeoffs. For example if you carried 5 super stims in your "first aid" space you could not carry 5 med-x. In such case fast travelling wouldn't help because you needed those drugs instantly.

Other solution would be to have quick items and backpack items. Backpack items could not be used while in combat. It worked in Jagged Alliance II.

Why not only keep 5 super stimpaks? Becuase if you are underfire you couldn't fast travel any way.

Kinda of agree on the backpack idea though.
Kyra

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:16 am

Cuz, dudes, the Man, like, wants to, like, keep us, like, down, man...
Marlo Stanfield

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:12 pm

There is no tradeoff. If something doesn't fit in my inventory, I'll just come back. But there is no challenge there, it's just time consuming and game cannot expect that player won't bother doing something repetitive. Fighting is challenging, so is solving puzzles and getting out of troubble. Travelling without any obstacles is not exciting or challening, just boring. So having very high cw just skips the boring part.

Then that's the trade-off, you make the choice to go through the boring part in order to "have it all".

I see the problem here when it comes to ammo and weapons, but not when it comes to loot and crafting materials.

Because with all the loot you want you can buy out merchants with ease, making money even less obsolete than it already is.
And the crafting part.
Say you could take as much as you wanted, then you wouldn't even bother learning the right recepies(Spellcheck please) nor actually keeping an eye out for what you need, instead you'd just pick up every single item and then once in a while stopping at the campfire/workbench/reloading bench and just craft crap.
By having a weight limit we need to learn the recepies(?), we need to learn their name, their appearance and then keep a look out for the items in order to successfully craft the one's we want.
It's the price we pay.

What's the difference between having the items already with you than checking what you need and fetching them from your safe house? You spare some time, nothing else.

That is "if" you have them at your safehouse.
It all depends on what item it is and how much of a priority it is to you.
If you decide it's important to craft for your character then it would be better to keep an eye out for the right items and collect them and craft them later on than to just pick up every single item and then just have everything ready.
If that's such a problem for you then how about not having a crafting feature at all? Or not having any items besides chems/ammo/armor/weapons be lootable?
It's there to limit you, if it's such a pain for you to actually limit the amount you carry then just cheat or don't bother with it.
I don't bother with the cooking/poison making system because I've had no interest in it.
By making that choice I've missed out on that feature.
I plan to tackle it later though, and for my efforts, I will be rewarded.

But in new vegas we can carry 10000 ammo with normal carry weight. There's no magazine pouches that limit our ammo capacity to 6x30 5.56mm for example. I'd love to have inventory space in addition to weight. Now everything is carried in the same mass regardless of their volume, only weight matters.

I was talking about games in general not specifically New Vegas.

Instant availability huh? If I run out of something, I stop what I was doing and go fetch more. If caps and chems had weight and it happened that I ran out of them, I'd simply go fetch more. The game cannot be balanced with the expectation that player doesn't bother doing something because it's so boring.

Then don't do it.
It's your choice.
You want to have instant availability then mod your game, hell, mod it so that every time you pick something up you get 100 of it so it makes the game ridiculously easy.
It's not about it being "boring" to go fetch stuff, it's about limiting the amount of items for the player so that he/she makes a choice in what to carry and collect.
If the player decides to focus on certain items then the player will be rewarded for it while he/she will not be rewarded for not collecting another bunch of items.
The game frankly isn't meant for the player to "have it all".
So if you want to collect all items, then make several trips. Thats your choice and the consequence it brings to you.
But the game is designed so that we can't have it all, so that it doesn't become too easy.
There are always going to be ways around this, in every game.
So if you want to go around the system, want to go around the intended design, then do so.
But don't ask for it to be changed cause your time is so precious that you can't be bothered to play the game the way it was meant to be played.
Glu Glu

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:08 am

Like the game isn't easy enough already, now you want to exploit the carry weight to make even easier. Wow.

You've seemed to have convinced yourself that carry weight is stupid, so I'm not gonna change your mind.

Just like I think MORE things should have weight in hardcoe mode, like stims, chems etc. Prioritizing what you have to carry and using different methods to carry more, all adds a layer of strategy to the game. For me it does anyway.
Sabrina Schwarz

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:18 pm

I've found I have more money than I could ever need simply by looting things with a 10:1 or better value to weight ratio. In fact the biggest limiting factor has been finding merchants that can afford what I have to sell. (And no, I don't wait next to merchants for 72 hours for a refresh. That's not believable and is therefore cheating.)
Dominic Vaughan

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:14 am

There is no tradeoff. If something doesn't fit in my inventory, I'll just come back. But there is no challenge there, it's just time consuming and game cannot expect that player won't bother doing something repetitive. Fighting is challenging, so is solving puzzles and getting out of troubble. Travelling without any obstacles is not exciting or challening, just boring. So having very high cw just skips the boring part.

And you fixed it by increasing your carry weight, so problem (for you) solved. Being able to modify the game to suit is one of the stronger features of the game.

You might find it boring to make decisions about what to carry and what to leave, but many of us like to make such decisions. What to carry is a common real world decision for anyone who does a lot of walking.
Brandon Wilson

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:32 am

Then that's the trade-off, you make the choice to go through the boring part in order to "have it all".

So the boring part is the only thing trying to prevent players from getting very rich?

Because with all the loot you want you can buy out merchants with ease, making money even less obsolete than it already is.

No matter your carryweight, you can also have all this loot. It's there, you found it all you need to do is go back to get it.

And the crafting part.
Say you could take as much as you wanted, then you wouldn't even bother learning the right recepies(Spellcheck please) nor actually keeping an eye out for what you need, instead you'd just pick up every single item and then once in a while stopping at the campfire/workbench/reloading bench and just craft crap.

Skills prevent me from crafting everything. Besides, if I needed to pay attention in what items to collect it would just lead to situations where I notice I left something somewhere and need to go get it. It would just add more travelling and browsing through already secured places again.

That is "if" you have them at your safehouse.
It all depends on what item it is and how much of a priority it is to you.

Well you can have it at the bottom level of vault 22 or your safehouse. If you have secured vault 22, then the item is basically yours since you fought all the enemies and found your way to the item. There's only 2 priorities: need and don't need.

If you decide it's important to craft for your character then it would be better to keep an eye out for the right items and collect them and craft them later on than to just pick up every single item and then just have everything ready.

I only have the items at my disposal I've found. If if pick all the items it doesn't mean that I've got all the items in the game world at my disposal all the time.

If that's such a problem for you then how about not having a crafting feature at all? Or not having any items besides chems/ammo/armor/weapons be lootable?

Because crafting is fun and searching for the items is fun too.
The real limit to your crafting output are founded items, not carried items.

You want to have instant availability then mod your game, hell, mod it so that every time you pick something up you get 100 of it so it makes the game ridiculously easy.
It's not about it being "boring" to go fetch stuff, it's about limiting the amount of items for the player so that he/she makes a choice in what to carry and collect.
If the player decides to focus on certain items then the player will be rewarded for it while he/she will not be rewarded for not collecting another bunch of items.
The game frankly isn't meant for the player to "have it all".

What's wrong with instant availability compared to "available after 30 seconds of waiting"? I don't play this game to wait, I play it to explore and have exciting times. Imagine if the game was 10 times slower. Everything took 10 times more TIME to do. It would take 5 minutes to walk from Vikki&Vance to bison steve for example. Would you mod your game faster in this case? If you would, hows it differend from modding your carryweight to reduce the time spent on travelling?
Time isn't a challenge, unless it's a cooldown in combat. If there's no stress or resources included in time investment, it's just a pointless blockade to slow down player.

So if you want to collect all items, then make several trips. Thats your choice and the consequence it brings to you.
But the game is designed so that we can't have it all, so that it doesn't become too easy.

You already have everything you've found. It's just fast travel away from you. The long haul perk suggests that devs had in mind player might collect everything they find and haul to the shop. Instead of taking long haul, I just skip the part where I'm +forwarding through long hallways overburdened.

There are always going to be ways around this, in every game.
So if you want to go around the system, want to go around the intended design, then do so.
But don't ask for it to be changed cause your time is so precious that you can't be bothered to play the game the way it was meant to be played.

It was meant to be played so that players waste their time on boresome tasks?
Lory Da Costa

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:25 pm

Like the game isn't easy enough already, now you want to exploit the carry weight to make even easier. Wow.

I'd rather tighten the difficulty by having smarter ai and more challenging fights and puzzles to solve. Having the patience to browse through your items for hours (the accumulated time will reach hours) while taking items to crafting bench or shop truly is a challenge but it's a fight against boredom.

Just like I think MORE things should have weight in hardcoe mode, like stims, chems etc. Prioritizing what you have to carry and using different methods to carry more, all adds a layer of strategy to the game. For me it does anyway.

For me it just adds more travelling which is everything but strategy.

And you fixed it by increasing your carry weight, so problem (for you) solved. Being able to modify the game to suit is one of the stronger features of the game.

Yeah I've got no problems, except to understand what's the point of carryweight in the end. If it's there to limit player's availability to items because it's expected that he won't bother travelling so much then I get it.

You might find it boring to make decisions about what to carry and what to leave

This leave part I don't get. You never leave or abandon anything. The item is there, you found it and it's available to you any time if you just bother to travel there again.
Matt Fletcher

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:25 pm

The point is so there is a vague sense of scavenging.

Backpack space act similar to weight, but often follow by a maximum stack which just make item management tedious instead of being "challenging" in most case *cough* Dead Space *cough*.

Ideally, PC should buy pack Brahmins/Robots and/or hire Mercs; but for some odd "performance" issue we are stuck with 2 followers in vanilla game.
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:48 am

You already can carry crazy amounts of equipment, so I see no point in carry weight myself.
Nicole Kraus

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:46 pm

Whats "very rich"?

In the vanilla version you end up with caps in excess of 200.000 well before lvl 30 if you just collect and sell the stuff thats semi valuable. Whats to use the money for? You cant buy an epic statue of yourself, no big bright neon sign that says "Charrname, Protector/dictator" of Vegas. No vehicles. No owned hotels or houses. No epic money sink, no epic bling-bling in the city of bling bling.

Even if you deck out all of your companions with high end gear you will still have ammassed a fortune beyond what you can spend.
Chavala

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:54 pm

Because t would be no fun to walk around with everything... God thats like an armoury of PA. Now I know some things arent normal in game (one guy carries a plasma caster, rocket launcher, gatling laser and minigun) and power armour. That already seems insane, but 10000 really ?! Totally destroys any balence. and the strength stat, further reducing balence.

*Nods* This is supposed to be a Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG and walking around with 200 guns, 500 Misc items, 40 sets of armor, etc... would just make things weird. By adding in the carry weight you not only remove this weirdness, but add depth to the game by making the player choose what they need to do. Do they carry a bunch of essential items like more guns to repair their current items back at base? Or a bunch of crap that may make something useful or to sell off? (Already fixing that with my MAGE plugin so it becomes harder to choose what to pick)
joseluis perez

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:26 pm

/snip

This discussion isn't leading anywhere.
I'm out.
Liv Brown

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:55 pm

I doubt an average human being could carry 50 pounds on their back, male or female.

Honestly, 50 lbs is pretty light. I'd say 150 lbs is when it starts to make you doubt it.
Cccurly

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 pm

So because YOU don't like to making multiple trips and you wish to pick up everything that's not nailed down, you wish to unbalance the game for everybody else?
Sure you might not use it to carry insane loads of weapons for your own use with you, but it would easily lead to such an imbalance for others.
You might as well make everything optional so that you can either play super-easy-god-mode or the game as it's meant to be played.

You seem to have a problem with fast-travel having no disadvantage and loot always being there when you get back. These are legitimate qualms, I'd certainly like to have random encounters during fast-travel.
Instead of looking for more challenge however you just decide to go the way of the cheat.

Many amongst us like the limit to carry weight and make an effort to choose what to take.
Personally I repair what I can when overburdened and ditch the items I want the least to overcome encumbrance. I rarely return to a place because I couldn't carry everything I wanted.
Perhaps you should do that instead. Or is this a form of obsessive compulsiveness, where you just have to take everything with you, no matter what.
Horror- Puppe

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:58 am

Honestly, 50 lbs is pretty light. I'd say 150 lbs is when it starts to make you doubt it.

-Elite soldiers carry 200-250lbs of kit with them. An average joe would have a hard time carrying 50lbs of stuff around permanently I think. An average pencilpusher/acedemic (such as myself) would be hard pressed to lug around 50lbs of weight all the time at the age of 37. I was light infantry (motorized) when I was in my late teens and 100-150lbs of kit was normal and that weight alone was enough to make running for even a short distance a royal pain in the butt. But then you drop your bergen(backpack) and most of your excess kit when you have to sneak up on someone/something.
Georgia Fullalove

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:40 am

Consider you have to jug with it I think 50~70lbs would be maximum on your back. Maybe in FO4 we should have self-pull cart which can eventually upgrade into pick-ups with turrets.
Zosia Cetnar

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:35 pm

This is supposed to be a Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG

High carryweight is the last thing that breaks the survival immersion. There's food, water and medicine everywhere. In addition the courier is a one man army whether you carried 10k or 200. So much for the survival. It's more like the world is trying to survive from the Courier.

So because YOU don't like to making multiple trips and you wish to pick up everything that's not nailed down, you wish to unbalance the game for everybody else?

No, just to hear what in your opinion is the point of carryweight if fast travel gets you access to the items anyway with a slight delay.

Sure you might not use it to carry insane loads of weapons for your own use with you, but it would easily lead to such an imbalance for others.
You might as well make everything optional so that you can either play super-easy-god-mode or the game as it's meant to be played.

Honestly it doesn't matter whether you carry minigun, gatling laser and sniper or just one of them. The combat is equally easy anyway. You can kill everything with just one powerful weapon.

Instead of looking for more challenge however you just decide to go the way of the cheat.

But what would this additional challenge be? I do not know of any mod that adds random encounters, disappearing loot or high fast travel food&water costs.
EDIT: currently I'm using 10x shop prices and increased needs rates.

Many amongst us like the limit to carry weight and make an effort to choose what to take.
Personally I repair what I can when overburdened and ditch the items I want the least to overcome encumbrance. I rarely return to a place because I couldn't carry everything I wanted.
Perhaps you should do that instead. Or is this a form of obsessive compulsiveness, where you just have to take everything with you, no matter what.

So you admit that only thing preventing you from hoarding everything is the fact that you won't bother? In this case it's not balanced for everyone because there are people who will bother gathering everything. I guess it is some sort of obsession. What I find, is mine. And because there's only time boundary between getting it it's all the same whether I have it at my disposal within 1 second or 1 hour because the only challenge is to pass time. If there were always some challenge, risk or tradeoff when fast travelling it'd be another story. For example after securing a location, scavengers would move in and take everything valuable you left.
Robert Jr

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:55 pm

If you don't like the carryweight and you play PC get a mod.

Carry weight adds realism it adds to role playing. Being able to carry every item in the game is just stupid. Having to walk back and forth is not a problem if you plan things out. Find a merchant that you like and find a place to keep your items close to that person. Most items a just junk so why carry them around? Only in hardcoe mode does ammo have weight so if your not playing hardcoe mode you can already carry alot. In the originals you have to much weight you can't even move.
Matthew Warren

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:56 pm

Why stop with carry weight. It annoys me that I have to use the bolt action with the rifles and that I have to change magazines. Some of you might like it (roleplayers.. in a RPG....lulz) but I payed money for the game too and I find it annoying. Why should I be penalized?

(Minor Trololol)
Laura-Jayne Lee

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Whats "very rich"?

In the vanilla version you end up with caps in excess of 200.000 well before lvl 30 if you just collect and sell the stuff thats semi valuable. Whats to use the money for? You cant buy an epic statue of yourself, no big bright neon sign that says "Charrname, Protector/dictator" of Vegas. No vehicles. No owned hotels or houses. No epic money sink, no epic bling-bling in the city of bling bling.

Even if you deck out all of your companions with high end gear you will still have ammassed a fortune beyond what you can spend.

This.

Plus, it is unnecessary to collect ingredients for every single Survival recipe. Once your at 100 Survival, Desert Salad, Wasteland Omelet, and Mushroom Cloud are 'about' the only food you really need to pump restore your health in no time flat. Even then, I got to the point to where I got tired of collecting stuff and just make Gecko Steaks and Bighorner Steaks. They heal me just fine. Collecting ingredients for the advanced chems gets kind of pointless also once you max out your level. I don't even use chems anymore and I destroy anything that walks in my path. Shoot, I just took on a pack of Deathclaws in the Thorn all chem free.

So the question is...what the hell is filling up your inventory when you have two other companions that can carry up to around 210lbs give or take?
Connor Wing

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:51 pm

I agree with this. hardcoe would have been far harder if i didn't have 100 stimpaks. (I'm not self gimping yet)

No it wouldn't. When you ran out of supplies, you would just fast travel to your house/a merchant and get more. Time consuming does not equal harder.

OP has a point. The only thing CW does it make you look at more loading screens.

That said, I like having a weight limit. *shrug* The inventory tends to lag when you get too much stuff, and it helps immersion having a limited carrying capacity.

Maybe in future fallout games loading times will be less of an issue.

Edit: wow people sure are jumping on you about this even though your intentions were obviously to just have a discussion, not to insult the games design or anything.
Christine Pane

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:33 pm

This.

Plus, it is unnecessary to collect ingredients for every single Survival recipe. Once your at 100 Survival, Desert Salad, Wasteland Omelet, and Mushroom Cloud are 'about' the only food you really need to pump restore your health in no time flat. Even then, I got to the point to where I got tired of collecting stuff and just make Gecko Steaks and Bighorner Steaks. They heal me just fine. Collecting ingredients for the advanced chems gets kind of pointless also once you max out your level. I don't even use chems anymore and I destroy anything that walks in my path. Shoot, I just took on a pack of Deathclaws in the Thorn all chem free.

So the question is...what the hell is filling up your inventory when you have two other companions that can carry up to around 210lbs give or take?

That's an absurdly narrow minded view.

Some people don't like companions, for various reasons.

Some people like to collect things, and not tally ingredients and requirements, that way they can just go to town crafting.

Some people like feeling prepared.

Playing on Very Hard + hardcoe can get expensive.

There are quite a few very expensive uses for caps: Implants can net you 20,000+, Good weapons can cost 5000+, good armor 5000+ and Good ammo can cost you hundreds of caps. Stimpaks are also 100 caps each now I think. So if you're playing from an old save where they were like 30 caps, try starting over.

Furthermore, if you ever want to see more than one ending you're going to have to start over, some people might not like exploring everything everywhere and getting rich again. They might want to take shortcuts to see quest changes or different endings. To that end, they'll need all the caps they can get.

What is the OP's point? I'm pretty sure he hates loading screens, and fast traveling meaning seeing a lot of them.

As you can see, it's not like his view of things isn't without any merit.
Jodie Bardgett

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:09 am

Carry weight adds realism it adds to role playing.

Both are abstract terms and differend for everyone. Realism was thrown out of the window the moment you step in the game world. Roleplaying doesn't even have anything to do with carryweight because there's no right or wrong way to roleplay. Maybe I'm roleplaying a guy who can carry 10k lbs.

Having to walk back and forth is not a problem if you plan things out.

How do you plan a situation that requires you to carry 250lbs worth of loot + your already existing belongings? Madocmayhem suggested carrying a sunset sarsaparilla crate with you but that's no differend from having high cw.

Find a merchant that you like and find a place to keep your items close to that person. Most items a just junk so why carry them around?

Because they are still worth something. But the point still is that what's the point of carryweight if it is countered with fast travel?
Lisha Boo

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas