What's the point of carryweight?

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:35 pm

Why does the carryweight exist? It only slows things down and forces player to perform several back and forth quick travel trips between shop or storagehouse. That's why I always set my cw to 10000 to represent that I would do those quick travels anyway. Spares a lot of time for actually exciting gameplay.
Alister Scott

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 am

.... Cause it's an RPG.... And it needs balance...
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:14 pm

Because t would be no fun to walk around with everything... God thats like an armoury of PA. Now I know some things arent normal in game (one guy carries a plasma caster, rocket launcher, gatling laser and minigun) and power armour. That already seems insane, but 10000 really ?! Totally destroys any balence. and the strength stat, further reducing balence.
Veronica Flores

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:49 pm

because they dont want you walking out of a vault with half of it tucked under one arm, unfortunatly.

yea, the "volume" element is completly ignored, so they have to enforce the weight.

everyone should come to realise that fallout does not follow the laws of physics... somehow.
Nicole M

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:20 pm

everyone should come to realise that fallout does not follow the laws of physics... somehow.

I think I already accepted it the moment I decided to use a Missile Launcher as a primary weapon on a female character. Then again, if this were reality, I doubt an average human being could carry 50 pounds on their back, male or female. So with the "weight" in Fallout, you would basically be unable to carry a handful of things at once and may not even be able to scavenge for workbench / campfire items.
djimi

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Because the greatest part of fallout is the realism? Because theres no game out there worth playing that dosent have some limit on how much you can carry? The reason I personally like fallout so much is because I feel like I am actually in that world, and 200 pounds is probably way more than I could haul around as it is. Its a hyper real experience that causes you to choose what you carry wisely.
SEXY QUEEN

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:42 am

Why does the health bar exist? It just slows the player down when they have to reload a save.

Actual answer: To give the game at least a vague sense of realism, and to stop it being unbalanced as all hell and then some. If you can just whip out any weapon from a personal armoury of hundreds, the game starts to lose any element of challenge quite rapidly.
Sian Ennis

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:23 am

To prevent you from having to scroll through thousand weapons at at time to find that one unique.
BlackaneseB

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:57 pm

:facepalm:

Wow.. It's not like you can carry 1000 pounds of crap in real life, So what do you think the person who you are Roleplaying would be able to carry?
Miss Hayley

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:14 pm

Wow.. It's not like you can carry 1000 pounds of crap in real life, So what do you think the person who you are Roleplaying would be able to carry?

This

and this
Charlie Sarson

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:09 pm

What's the difference between having the item in your storage house where you can fast travel pretty much any time without any cost (food, water or sleep isn't a notable cost) than having it in my inventory all the time?

Besides, what comes to balance fast travel is the one that's unbalanced. It takes too little resources and is too safe. No encounters while fast travelling.

To prevent you from having to scroll through thousand weapons at at time to find that one unique.

Hotkeys come handy in this case.

Because t would be no fun to walk around with everything...

It's less fun being required to walk hauling trips from a to the b. When I'm carrying everything I have looted, I have all my crafting materials instantly at my disposal.
Hannah Whitlock

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Then you change your carry weight to ten thousand and we will all play a game thats more realistic, better, adn balanced while you run around with 15 miniguns, 203 missile launchers and everything else.
Matt Fletcher

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Then you change your carry weight to ten thousand and we will all play a game thats more realistic, better, adn balanced while you run around with 15 miniguns, 203 missile launchers and everything else.

Who needs all those weapons? You can do fine with like sniper, shotgun and smg. Or just sniper. Having high cw comes handy when hauling loot to shops and crafting. It's not that useful in combat because one char cannot master all fighting techniques.

But let's say I needed those 15 miniguns and 203 missile launchers and I had normal cw. Then I would do as many trips to my safe house at it would take to get those items where I needed them.
Charlie Ramsden

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:21 am

The point is you dont have infinite carry weight, the game would be pointless with infinite carry weight. You could just carry everyhting on you. I agree because of the Fast Travel it does not matter you just make enough trips with Fast Travel or one with infinite CW. But I would prefer not to have infinite carry weight. Cause it is pretty stupid.
Darrell Fawcett

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Who needs all those weapons? You can do fine with like sniper, shotgun and smg. Or just sniper. Having high cw comes handy when hauling loot to shops and crafting. It's not that useful in combat because one char cannot master all fighting techniques.

But let's say I needed those 15 miniguns and 203 missile launchers and I had normal cw. Then I would do as many trips to my safe house at it would take to get those items where I needed them.

They cant carry 10k lbs either but that didnt stop you...
Like you said you wouldnt need them.
Honestly its stupid you have to cheat because you want to pic up everything. May aswell just use commands to spawn items.
If its fast traveling just get that barter 70 perk.
TASTY TRACY

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:00 am

They cant carry 10k lbs either but that didnt stop you...

But this 10k carryweight won't help me in combat if I don't use most of the weapons I carry. I use it to haul loot and crafting materials.

Honestly its stupid you have to cheat because you want to pic up everything. May aswell just use commands to spawn items.

I would pick everything whether I had high cw or not. It would be just more time consuming.

There's difference between spawning items and having high cw. With high cw you still have to conquer the loot by either finding it or killing its guards.

If its fast traveling just get that barter 70 perk

But what's the difference between constant fast travelling and having high carryweight?
Ronald

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:55 am

Can we leave balance out, as..
i: if it sought true balance the option to carry everything would be in game as a option for those that did not care about it at all.
ii: Weight limits would have been properly set for every object and item of clothing not random ones we have at the moment.
iii: One mans balance is a way of pissing off another, and every time balance is brought up it does not mean balance except in some gamers off shoot deffination of the word.

That said, I like some form of weight limit even when not using fast travel and in NV the areas change over time it's fun going back and forth.
I however dislike moving very slowly from two areas multipule times becuase a pack of ciggies weighs either .5 or 1 I think it's been changed to .5 now.
This however is the price of roleplaying it requires active thought on many levels, which keeps the game fresh if a tad annoying when your tired or stressed.

One tip just carry a empty sasparilla crate around as they are static world objects that can be picked up with Z and don't respawn items.
gemma

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Okay then: Because it's about choice and consequence.
You decide what you want to loot, if you can't fit it in your inventory then you've done your choice.
If you decide that you want... It... All.. then the consequence of your choice is that you need to do multiple trips or walk over encumbered back to the shop.

Having no weight limit would mean that we could bring with us whatever we wanted.
We wouldn't need to bother looking at what we need for schematics or recepies(?) we'd just loot everything and sooner or later be able to craft what we want to craft.
The weight limit is there so that the game doesn't become too simple.
Just like there are limits in every game.
Limit to health, limit to ammo, limit to mana, limit to grenades etc etc etc.
It's all there to give some form of balance.
This game has a weight limit cause it isn't meant for us to walk around with half the wasteland on our backs.

"But what if I loot stuff and put it in my house, what's the difference?" The difference is instant availability.
IMO caps and chems should have weight as well so we'd limit the amount we have with us.
Laura Hicks

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:40 am

I think the problem with your logic is that it leads to a slippery slope of cheating which can result in a loss of fun (well, it would to me, don't know about you).

You don't want to make many trips, so you set carry weight to 10000 so you can loot everything and sell it, right? Well, why not then just add a certain amount of caps to your inventory? It's quicker and easier than looking around for things to loot. But then if you have so many caps you can buy whatever you want anyway, so you might as well add whatever you need to your inventory. If you have whatever you need, it's only a matter of time until you max out your level and get the best equipment, so why not cheat up there too?

The point is that it makes sense logically to have a limit. However, if you find it more fun to not worry about micromanaging your inventory, you can increase it (which is absolutely the greatest aspect about these games).
michael flanigan

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:59 pm

"But what if I loot stuff and put it in my house, what's the difference?" The difference is instant availability.
IMO caps and chems should have weight as well so we'd limit the amount we have with us.

I agree with this. hardcoe would have been far harder if i didn't have 100 stimpaks. (I'm not self gimping yet)
Chloe Mayo

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:54 pm

I agree with this. hardcoe would have been far harder if i didn't have 100 stimpaks. (I'm not self gimping yet)

At the moment I'm on a character that is the first to ever really use stimpacks, and that is due to being a med head that only eats when starving.
Every other character has never used them apart for once or twice even pure melee builds, but I play on hardcoe normal so maybe I should ramp the difficulty up.

So yes stims are still plentiful but at least they adressed the fact of why, bathtub stims and other medicine being produced in society now.

The stat of medicine I think is handled well, with a low score healing only minor injuries but a very high one self curing a low toughness build by over half.

I only got a 100 - 120 by the end of the game on most builds however.
FITTAS

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:58 pm

Okay then: Because it's about choice and consequence.
You decide what you want to loot, if you can't fit it in your inventory then you've done your choice.
If you decide that you want... It... All.. then the consequence of your choice is that you need to do multiple trips or walk over encumbered back to the shop.

There is no tradeoff. If something doesn't fit in my inventory, I'll just come back. But there is no challenge there, it's just time consuming and game cannot expect that player won't bother doing something repetitive. Fighting is challenging, so is solving puzzles and getting out of troubble. Travelling without any obstacles is not exciting or challening, just boring. So having very high cw just skips the boring part.

Having no weight limit would mean that we could bring with us whatever we wanted.

I see the problem here when it comes to ammo and weapons, but not when it comes to loot and crafting materials.

We wouldn't need to bother looking at what we need for schematics or recepies(?) we'd just loot everything and sooner or later be able to craft what we want to craft.

What's the difference between having the items already with you than checking what you need and fetching them from your safe house? You spare some time, nothing else.

Just like there are limits in every game.
Limit to health, limit to ammo, limit to mana, limit to grenades etc etc etc.

But in new vegas we can carry 10000 ammo with normal carry weight. There's no magazine pouches that limit our ammo capacity to 6x30 5.56mm for example. I'd love to have inventory space in addition to weight. Now everything is carried in the same mass regardless of their volume, only weight matters.

Instant availability huh? If I run out of something, I stop what I was doing and go fetch more. If caps and chems had weight and it happened that I ran out of them, I'd simply go fetch more. The game cannot be balanced with the expectation that player doesn't bother doing something because it's so boring.
Rex Help

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:26 pm

But in new vegas we can carry 10000 ammo with normal carry weight. There's no magazine pouches that limit our ammo capacity to 6x30 5.56mm for example. I'd love to have inventory space in addition to weight. Now everything is carried in the same mass regardless of their volume, only weight matters.

You confuse me. You essentially get rid of weight values but you would love inventory space.

Claire Mclaughlin

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 pm

There is no tradeoff. If something doesn't fit in my inventory, I'll just come back. But there is no challenge there, it's just time consuming and game cannot expect that player won't bother doing something repetitive. Fighting is challenging, so is solving puzzles and getting out of troubble. Travelling without any obstacles is not exciting or challening, just boring. So having very high cw just skips the boring part.

I found a solution to this a sasparilla crate you can carry everything you like, if you pick it up however it blocks combat, and puts you off checking for foes.
Meaning you have to drop it when shot, engage in combat without the aid of whats inside then pick it up again to carry on.

So some kind of travel satchel could be put into the game easily imo.
Jack Walker

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:06 am

There's no law that says you must bring back every bit of loot you find. When I get over encumbered, I repair things until I'm not, then go through my inventory and prioritize. The 6 pound misc. item worth 20 caps gets dropped in favor of say the 15 pound piece of armor worth 1200. If I get bogged down by nothing but high weight to value ratio items and I can't repair anymore, I get rid of whatever ones are in the worst condition, count my losses and move on.

Money isn't really all that hard to come by anyway...
Britta Gronkowski

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas