What's the point of carryweight?

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:55 pm

The way I see it, the point of a carry weight limit is to make us think about what we want to bring along on a particular expedition, as well as how much we are going to bring back on the return journey. This especially applies to hardcoe mode, since ammo has weight and one needs to bring food and water as well.

While it's highly unrealistic that my characters could run around for days with over 300lbs of stuff, I accept that it is a concession to the looting aspect of the game. I usually strictly abide by my current carry limit, and do not pick up anything that would over-encumber me unless I am going to immediately use it for either repairs or survival needs, however I have occasionally overridden this with the 'tgm' command when there are only a few items left in an interior and another trip would not be worth it.

Of course, it does not help that I just have to pick up everything in sight that's not nailed down, even though a lot of it is not worth much. I end up needing at least 4 trips out of some interiors due to the sheer volume of low-value crap that is lying all over the place; even though I know full well I will not need the money in the long run, I just have to sell it all.

I experimented with a mod in FO3 that increased carry weight well beyond the usual 300 cap, and found that it didn't really help as much as I thought it would. As a result I am not doing that this time around, but I am in the process of adding many of the 'junk' items to either repair lists or the workbench list to turn into scrap of one kind or another, which will increase their usefulness while removing them from the game economy as something I would sell. I'll still be collecting all that crap, but I won't be turning it into ridiculous amounts of cash anymore.
Heather Kush

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:43 am

Why stop with carry weight. It annoys me that I have to use the bolt action with the rifles and that I have to change magazines. Some of you might like it (roleplayers.. in a RPG....lulz) but I payed money for the game too and I find it annoying. Why should I be penalized?

(Minor Trololol)

LOL, yah really, why cant all the guns be Minguns that shoot Mininukes?

(I dont actually mean the part about Minguns and Nukes)
Jessica Lloyd

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:31 am

I think the originals still did it the best. 1 str = 25 lbs none of this everyone gets 100 lbs + 10 lbs per str. That way PA str bonus actually can lift there weight and stuff...
Nany Smith

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:31 am

I think the originals still did it the best. 1 str = 25 lbs none of this everyone gets 100 lbs + 10 lbs per str. That way PA str bonus actually can lift there weight and stuff...

yeah, but 1 str = 50 lbs
Origial way 25+(strengthx25)
courtnay

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

yeah, but 1 str = 50 lbs

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Strength#Fallout:_New_Vegas

from that list it looks like you start with 150 lbs and get 10 lbs per str.

So 1 str in NV =160 lbs carry weight. Thats quite a bit for a "wet noodle" The originals would have you only at 25 lbs. that sounds more correct don't you think?
lolli

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:09 am

yeah, but 1 str = 50 lbs

- You're from Finland. Any nation that can produce soldiers like Larry Thorne (Lauri T?rni) and Simo H?yh? should be listned to. I do however so wish you'd stop speaking swedish and start speaking danish :D.
Rebecca Clare Smith

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:33 am

- You're from Finland. Any nation that can produce soldiers like Larry Thorne (Lauri T?rni) and Simo H?yh? should be listned to. I do however so wish you'd stop speaking swedish and start speaking danish :D.

WHAT??? I dont speak swedish... I only know one single swedish word and that is jag which means I which means min?.
http://fallout.wikia...lout:_New_Vegas

from that list it looks like you start with 150 lbs and get 10 lbs per str.

So 1 str in NV =160 lbs carry weight. Thats quite a bit for a "wet noodle" The originals would have you only at 25 lbs. that sounds more correct don't you think?

This post has been edited by Andaius: Today, 12:35 AM

that is the new vegas way, but I was speaking about originals and in the originals minimal carry wigth is 50lbs (25+(strengthx25: thats the way origals caunt the carry waigth, so lets say your strengh is 1 and do the math:25+(1*25)=50)
Christine

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:44 am

WHAT??? I dont speak swedish... I only know one single swedish word and that is jag which means I which means min?.

I had a online friend that was finnish. She instructed us that the finnish language had so many forms and versions of address tha tit would make a genius weep manly tears. She also said half the time she didn't know what forms to use anyway so just used the one for everything! :P
Angelina Mayo

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:38 pm

I do however so wish you'd stop speaking swedish and start speaking danish :D.

Ahem! :stare: We speak finnish for the most part, and here on the eastern border teaching swedish will possibly be soon replaced by russian. Much more useful, as some days i don't know on which side of the border i am when listening the crowd :rolleyes:

Jag kan inte tala svenska either :D

Meanwhile, on topic:
I see what the OP is saying, but some sort of limit must be in place. Money is already way too easy to get, so limiting the loot i'm able to carry is what i do. I have a mod that (among other things) lowers the carry limit, 130 with strength of 4, prioritizing loot is a must, what i can't carry, i won't come back to.
Krista Belle Davis

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:48 pm

For example after securing a location, scavengers would move in and take everything valuable you left.

I actually like that idea. A chance that stuff will be gone once you return would indeed be nice.

So honestly, while I don't like level scaling I think that's the only way to really give the player a greater challenge.

Scaling can work if you don't go overboard with it. Allowing your enemies to get (in a limited sense) better as you do could help.
A better way is AI-changes, though.

People have given their personal opinions how they feel about carryweight, like that it's not realistic or good for roleplay to have too high cw. Nobody has yet managed to prove it wrong that fast travel is basically the same thing if you had infinite carryweight. I don't care about role-play or realism because those things are abstract terms.

It's not the same. Having infinite carry weight means you can take everything with you without thinking about it.
While the penalties for coming back later are only that the process is tedious, the simple fact that this process works that way is what makes both different. People will approach this from a different psychology. There are few who would not sort through the junk and see what can be left behind, what you take now and what you (might) go back for later.
It's not a perfect process and there could be ways to improve it. However not having it at all would stop many people from approaching the inventory with thought.
And despite what you might think role-playing and a manner of realism/immersion is, especially in an RPG, quite valid arguments. Because a game is something you experience yourself.

In the same way you could say that most weapons in games should have unlimited ammo, since most games give you plenty along the way. What's the use of having ammo if we can just pick up enough that we are rarely without. The only difference being that with ammo a situation can exist where it has a more direct influence (switching to another weapon) which in most cases hardly is a penalty or effect the outcome so it's basically the same thing.
Mariaa EM.

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:28 pm

The ponit of carry waigth is to limit you from carrying stuff. it is quite simple.

Except it's not doing its job.

You could try to compare cw to health for example. Health prevents us from becoming too powerful too early. There's no way to cheat it and only way is to level up but even then there's initial health limit. Maintaining health takes resources like stimpaks, it also takes skill not to lose health in combat. Just ignore the fact that stims are super easy to get and combat is extremely easy. The point still remains that maintaining health takes some skill and resources.

When it comes to carryweight which is supposed to limit our carrying capacity, it fails right away because you can just fast travel to a location where the needed items are and return. Only investment is bothering to do it. There's no skill required and the resources needed are pitiful.

It's not the same. Having infinite carry weight means you can take everything with you without thinking about it.
While the penalties for coming back later are only that the process is tedious, the simple fact that this process works that way is what makes both different. People will approach this from a different psychology. There are few who would not sort through the junk and see what can be left behind, what you take now and what you (might) go back for later.
It's not a perfect process and there could be ways to improve it. However not having it at all would stop many people from approaching the inventory with thought.

I guess an answer won't get better than this. When it comes to looting, the game kinda dares us with tedious work if we want to maximize our loot. Some of us will accept the "challenge", others won't and some just up their cw. Wish there was a system for all of us.

And despite what you might think role-playing and a manner of realism/immersion is, especially in an RPG, quite valid arguments. Because a game is something you experience yourself.

Valid, but abstract. The game has so many rpg immersion breaking situations that ridiculously high cw can't even compare to them.

In the same way you could say that most weapons in games should have unlimited ammo, since most games give you plenty along the way. What's the use of having ammo if we can just pick up enough that we are rarely without. The only difference being that with ammo a situation can exist where it has a more direct influence (switching to another weapon) which in most cases hardly is a penalty or effect the outcome so it's basically the same thing.

Actually I keep running out of ammo all the time even with 10k cw limit. Must be all the difficulty mods installed. Tougher and more numerous mob spawns make sure ammo is spent on continuous rate. 10x shop prices ensure that merchants won't practically donate their ammo anymore.
Stephy Beck

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:10 pm

Ok my characters loot every piece of scrap metal / electronics, glue, duct tape wrench, food item, drink, weapon and ammo at the least.
They don't fast travel, don't sell most / all of it, eat it, use it or even make anything from it unless role specific skill.
Even then my latest one has got to beyond repcon and Helios one doing so at strength 3, and has made 30+ weaponrepair kits and only used 6 of which and those were on weapons they neither sold or are likely to use at all for lack of sufficent role or skill use.
The fridge is stocked by over 80 sasprillias, mass water stocks and countless food items, as well as other drinks and aid.
Two weapon containers full of guns of all sorts mostly non repaired untill returned "home", and every gun ammo I've found in the entire southern section of the Mojave and south of red rock / quarry junction area.
I have kept every single merc outfit a fully non jury rigged combat armour and reinforced metal one, 4 khan outfits and countless wasteland and pre war ones.
Has done all this with a non sneak, low gun skill user which has only used - 10 stimpacks for the sole reason of being a med head that won't eat food on hardcoe normal without using any exploits, mods or tgm.

Carry weight means nothing to difficulty, saying its removal would make things any easier is just plain wrong imo.

Buuuuuutttttttttt, it should not be removed, the only reason I can give is tradition and that is good enough imo.
mollypop

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:51 am

I really don't see the point of carryweight as it is now because of the fact that you can still carry enough armaments to start a small war. I can understand small things such as scrap metal or things that can be scavenged and sold, but when you can carry more than twenty different weapons with you then there's something wrong. If it could be tweaked to add more realism then that would make more sense, or it would also make sense if in the game you could obtain a backpack that increases your carry weight, while carry weight without it would be limited. Maybe a vehicle or a companion such as a Pack Brahmin can be used for people who like to scavenge. Also an inventory system could work, something like the system used in Borderlands.
Samantha Pattison

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:21 am

But when you can carry more than twenty different weapons with you then there's something wrong. If it could be tweaked to add more realism then that would make more sense.

No thanks.
I like the set value.
Might not be too realistic but I hate it when games limit me too much cause of it's annoying "immersion".
If I put a lot of points in strength then I want to be rewarded for it, be it to carry tons of useless crap or carry enough weapons and ammo to support a dozen soldiers.
Nicole Mark

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:36 am

Having a pack brahmin with your own hired mercs would be so fantastic. I wanna be a merchant so bad. ; ;
Eve Booker

Previous

Return to Fallout: New Vegas