What's the point of carryweight?

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:33 am

That's an absurdly narrow minded view.

Some people don't like companions, for various reasons.

Some people like to collect things, and not tally ingredients and requirements, that way they can just go to town crafting.

Some people like feeling prepared.

Playing on Very Hard + hardcoe can get expensive.

There are quite a few very expensive uses for caps: Implants can net you 20,000+, Good weapons can cost 5000+, good armor 5000+ and Good ammo can cost you hundreds of caps. Stimpaks are also 100 caps each now I think. So if you're playing from an old save where they were like 30 caps, try starting over.

Furthermore, if you ever want to see more than one ending you're going to have to start over, some people might not like exploring everything everywhere and getting rich again. They might want to take shortcuts to see quest changes or different endings. To that end, they'll need all the caps they can get.

What is the OP's point? I'm pretty sure he hates loading screens, and fast traveling meaning seeing a lot of them.

As you can see, it's not like his view of things isn't without any merit.

-Then... one question pops to mind:

Is he entitled to be able to get a load of caps/as many caps as the person who centers his toon around lugging around a maxxed weight? As the same person who has his toon meticulously search out and sells every last item he can?

I really do not see the merit unless you want to claim that because you bought the game you should start out with everything so you get the same gaming experience and feeling of "uber" as the person who puts in the effort? What would be the point of even trying to achieve that then?

Really... If you want that experience, find a mod that lets you start out as lvl 30 with maxxed out stats, all locations, and a oneshot-onekill minigun of imbaness with a weight of 0.1 and limitless ammo.

I would find that detrimental, even destructive to my gaming experience if it was an option in the Vanilla game. It would at best cheapen and at worst ridicule the game because it would take basically 20 minutes to finish the game from the word "go".
Pumpkin

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:39 am

Some people like to collect things,

This is it for me. I don't craft, I don't lug around more than a couple weapons at a time (to use), I don't sell 80% of what of loot and I don't gamble, so making caps is about picking up EVERYTHING, both for collecting and selling. I hardly ever eat any food (non-hardcoe) but I do like to collect things. It's an impulse. Every teddy bear. Every toy car. Every bottle of nuka cola and box of Sugar Bombs that I find. All the non-plant food items (don't know why, I just do...). At least one well-repaired version of every armor/clothing/weapon in my pantry, again even if I never even try them on. I keep all unique items even if I don't use them. The compulsion is strong, and having to walk/FT back to town literally every 10 minutes became old very fast, lol. By late-game I tend to pick up less heavy stuff because I already have one, but early-mid game I'm driven insane.

I couldn't stand Diablo2's tiny tiny backpack/stash either, when they had all those sets to collect and no way to store them.

Modding weightcarry was the first thing I did on the PC...I tried 800 at first, but then I scaled it back to 500 when I realized altering it also altered the companions carry weight. Normally I only have 1 companion (I have multiple only when goofing off) and so between us it's about 1200 carry weight. And believe me, that still fills up very rapidly if I'm picking up armors & every conductor and fission battery. I still have to repair things on the fly all the time to lessen the load & I go back to town every 30 minutes instead of every 10 minutes. :P

.....10,000 carryweight would be a bit much for me, tho. I mean, want to make less back and forth trips, but believe it or not, I do like at least some limit to it.
David John Hunter

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:22 pm

EDIT
.....10,000 carryweight would be a bit much for me, tho. I mean, want to make less back and forth trips, but believe it or not, I do like at least some limit to it.

10k is just the limit. The actual ammount of carried stuff is around 1-2k. The game starts to slow down and music begins to loop when opening containers if there's too much stuff in your inv.

-Then... one question pops to mind:

Is he entitled to be able to get a load of caps/as many caps as the person who centers his toon around lugging around a maxxed weight? As the same person who has his toon meticulously search out and sells every last item he can?

I really do not see the merit unless you want to claim that because you bought the game you should start out with everything so you get the same gaming experience and feeling of "uber" as the person who puts in the effort? What would be the point of even trying to achieve that then?

Really... If you want that experience, find a mod that lets you start out as lvl 30 with maxxed out stats, all locations, and a oneshot-onekill minigun of imbaness with a weight of 0.1 and limitless ammo.

I would find that detrimental, even destructive to my gaming experience if it was an option in the Vanilla game. It would at best cheapen and at worst ridicule the game because it would take basically 20 minutes to finish the game from the word "go".

The effort here is walking through empty maps and staring at loading screens.

Besides, you're jumping into conclusions. Having 10k cw doesn't mean that you start with sniper rifle, stealth suit and max level. You still have to find them and they aren't available from shops if you're low level.
Danii Brown

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:13 pm

This is it for me. I don't craft, I don't lug around more than a couple weapons at a time (to use), I don't sell 80% of what of loot and I don't gamble, so making caps is about picking up EVERYTHING, both for collecting and selling. I hardly ever eat any food (non-hardcoe) but I do like to collect things. It's an impulse. Every teddy bear. Every toy car. Every bottle of nuka cola and box of Sugar Bombs that I find. All the non-plant food items (don't know why, I just do...). At least one well-repaired version of every armor/clothing/weapon in my pantry, again even if I never even try them on. I keep all unique items even if I don't use them. The compulsion is strong, and having to walk/FT back to town literally every 10 minutes became old very fast, lol. By late-game I tend to pick up less heavy stuff because I already have one, but early-mid game I'm driven insane.

I couldn't stand Diablo2's tiny tiny backpack/stash either, when they had all those sets to collect and no way to store them.

Modding weightcarry was the first thing I did on the PC...I tried 800 at first, but then I scaled it back to 500 when I realized altering it also altered the companions carry weight. Normally I only have 1 companion (I have multiple only when goofing off) and so between us it's about 1200 carry weight. And believe me, that still fills up very rapidly if I'm picking up armors & every conductor and fission battery. I still have to repair things on the fly all the time to lessen the load & I go back to town every 30 minutes instead of every 10 minutes. :P

Good reply, I forgot to mention that I used to collect things in FO3 just for decorating my home. I had hundreds of junk that took a lot of fast traveling to store up :)
Reven Lord

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:09 am

This thread has basically been "I like carry weight" and "I do not like carry weight". The question "What's the point of carry weight?" has been answered. Most people would prefer having it to having unlimited space. You do not, for reasons you insist upon and likely won't change, so what's wrong with you keeping a 10K carry weight and letting us who would prefer the lower 150-250 carry weight have it? This debate is kind of fruitless IMO.
Rebekah Rebekah Nicole

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:21 pm

This thread has basically been "I like carry weight" and "I do not like carry weight". The question "What's the point of carry weight?" has been answered. Most people would prefer having it to having unlimited space. You do not, for reasons you insist upon and likely won't change, so what's wrong with you keeping a 10K carry weight and letting us who would prefer the lower 150-250 carry weight have it? This debate is kind of fruitless IMO.

Letting? I wasn't aware that by having a discussion on a forum about it, your actual games carry weight limit had been taken away.

Are you afraid the devs are going to actually change it or something?
Tamika Jett

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:04 am

Letting? I wasn't aware that by having a discussion on a forum about it, your actual games carry weight limit had been taken away.

Are you afraid the devs are going to actually change it or something?

Sorry if my single instance of poor word choice made you think I had an irrational notion that this was actually going to happen.

I think you can imagine what I meant with that statement.
ShOrty

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:52 pm

The actual ammount of carried stuff is around 1-2k. The game starts to slow down and music begins to loop when opening containers if there's too much stuff in your inv.

Oh? I didn't know that. It would make sense the engine/program etc. might bog down from keeping track of all those things eventually, but glad I've never reached that point yet. Does the same apply to containers themselves? I split all my collectibles into multiple containers, so they're not all in one container at once. Haven't run into any problems yet....but thanks for the info. If I start to container-lag, I'll know why now. Silly OCD me. ;)
Doniesha World

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:58 pm

Does the same apply to containers themselves?

It's not a big deal because it's just one container. You open it once, but looting 5 bodies while carrying the world you have to load all the items 5 times.

This thread has basically been "I like carry weight" and "I do not like carry weight". The question "What's the point of carry weight?" has been answered.

Then what is its point? From the perspective of balanced gameplay, not some personal supposition or habit.

It can't be for roleplaying purposes because even with infinite cw you could simply roleplay not to carry so much.

It cannot be the realism because the game doesn't obey realism in other areas.

It cannot be the balance because you can always get more stuff with fast travel. And it cannot be to limit the ammount of carried equipment because the game can be won with one good weapon and armor anyway.

It might be to stop players from cluttering their inventory and slowing down their cpu performance but that has nothing to do with balance.
Silvia Gil

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:17 am

The game is fantasy yes but our character is a moral human. Mortal humans can't carry infinite amount of weight. The game without hardcoe mode is already super easy and not a challenge. I don't enjoy it at all. Companions don't die, I can heal a broken arm with a stimpak it does not need to be even worce with infinite carrying capacity.

I remember the good old days (which was not that long ago) where people wanted a challenge in games. Edit: :fallout:
Inol Wakhid

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:01 am

I remember the good old days (which was not that long ago) where people wanted a challenge in games. Have people become so dumb they can only get enjoyment from being a god character in a game that holds your hand the entire time?

To be honest, it's always fun to become more powerful.
To get a fire sword which does enormous damage while having the armor of the lord of the underworld on.
But then everything becomes too easy and the games stops being fun.

So honestly, while I don't like level scaling I think that's the only way to really give the player a greater challenge.
Very Hard could always increase enemy numbers, improve their tactics, give them better equipment, raise their critical% but it's a double edged sword.
With more enemies we get more exp, with better equipment we get better loot.

So even if they do create a seemingly balanced game at first the moment we start to learn it it will become a cakewalk once again.

... I want my Extreme Mode and hardcoe Mode +1 already! :(
Ryan Lutz

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:04 pm

I remember the good old days (which was not that long ago) where people wanted a challenge in games. Have people become so dumb they can only get enjoyment from being a god character, in a game that holds your hand the entire time?

No? Why'd you even post this garbage?

Wasting time isn't always equal to a challenge, or fun.

Looking at something from another perspective isn't exactly hard either.

If you want to insult people, I could easily say you seem like the "dumb" one that can only play the game in one fashion; that which is presented. Do you have a single creative, outside-the-box bone in your body?

Of course, I don't really mean to insult you, I was just stating that as an example to how pointless such statements are, when threads like this are ultimately harmless and can be good ways of determining pointless gameplay.
Gwen

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:42 pm

It's not a big deal because it's just one container. You open it once, but looting 5 bodies while carrying the world you have to load all the items 5 times.

Then what is its point? From the perspective of balanced gameplay, not some personal supposition or habit.

It can't be for roleplaying purposes because even with infinite cw you could simply roleplay not to carry so much.

It cannot be the realism because the game doesn't obey realism in other areas.

It cannot be the balance because you can always get more stuff with fast travel. And it cannot be to limit the ammount of carried equipment because the game can be won with one good weapon and armor anyway.

It might be to stop players from cluttering their inventory and slowing down their cpu performance but that has nothing to do with balance.

I disagree, it is for roleplaying, simply because most wastelanders aren't going to loot corpes twice and keep traveling to the same spot for that purpose. At least, when I roleplay, going places that I have already visited has a purpose because of a quest.

The game may not be realistic, even in regards for carry weight, but I consider 250 pounds much more realistic and reasonable than 10K.

They don't expect people to go back and forth to get all of the loot they could have missed. It's just a disincentive for the player. Like the gambling. You have to wait a certain amount of time if you reload a save after gambling before you can gamble again. You can still exploit the save system, but it is much less appealing because of the wait.

Like other people have said, making the choice about which items you want to bring is a good thing for most players.

The thing is, all of the above does not matter. Just keep your 10K carry weight and we'll keep our 150-250 carry weight. You have been given several answers in this thread as to why the carry weight system is in. Whether you like the reasons or not does not matter, because you have the choice of typing a new carry weight into the console.
Michelle davies

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:06 am

The thing is, all of the above does not matter. Just keep your 10K carry weight and we'll keep our 150-250 carry weight. You have been given several answers in this thread as to why the carry weight system is in. Whether you like the reasons or not does not matter, because you have the choice of typing a new carry weight into the console.

So because he has access to the console, this topic is not allowed and the thread should end here, because you want it to? He's gotten "enough" answers from who? People you deem "important" in some fashion?

What about users that can't access the console commands? What if they find carry weight pointless? This topic has plenty of merit and plenty of reason to exist. People should be allowed to discuss game content on the games board, fella.

Personally I am not bothered by carry weight, its in all the Fallout RPGs, and most games where you loot items in some manner. But discussing it can lead to improvements, or better understanding.

Knowledge is always better than ignorance, and the best way to learn is to discuss things intelligently.

You seem to want to avoid the topic altogether out of some fear of it being changed, as have multiple others in this thread and others like it. But this is one of the reasons for this forums existence.

Discussion that abides by the forums rules.
mike

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:10 pm

What about users that can't access the console commands? What if they find reloading animations, searching for special items and travelling outside Goodsprings pointless? This topic has plenty of merit and plenty of reason to exist. People should be allowed to discuss game content on the games board, fella.

- Is he entitled to this? Whats the merit of something if it demands zero effort?
YO MAma

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:50 pm

So because he has access to the console, this topic is not allowed and the thread should end here, because you want it to? He's gotten "enough" answers from who? People you deem "important" in some fashion?

What about users that can't access the console commands? What if they find carry weight pointless? This topic has plenty of merit and plenty of reason to exist. People should be allowed to discuss game content on the games board, fella.

Personally I am not bothered by carry weight, its in all the Fallout RPGs, and most games where you loot items in some manner. But discussing it can lead to improvements, or better understanding.

Knowledge is always better than ignorance, and the best way to learn is to discuss things intelligently.

You seem to want to avoid the topic altogether out of some fear of it being changed, as have multiple others in this thread and others like it. But this is one of the reasons for this forums existence.

Discussion that abides by the forums rules.

I was never suggesting this thread should be closed. I do think that it is fruitless and won't go anywhere, but I never said "I, looloolooigotsomeapples, declare that this thread should be closed for I do not like it." I was expressing my opinion on the matter, as is every other person in the thread. And no, I don't think that they will change it because of this thread, that notion is just silly.
Holli Dillon

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:18 am

I remember the good old days (which was not that long ago) where people wanted a challenge in games.

I remember the bad old days where games required super human effort to play trough; see the Battletoads thread in Community Discussion :D Still majority of modern games are disappointingly easy. Only recent game i remember being challenging was Dragon Age, and even now after 400+ hours the enemies still manage to give me a run for my money.
Lily Something

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Of course, I don't really mean to insult you, I was just stating that as an example to how pointless such statements are, when threads like this are ultimately harmless and can be good ways of determining pointless gameplay.

I am sorry, your're right it was uncalled for and on christmas of all days :sadvaultboy:
sas

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:15 am

This reads like the OP's private Forum PvP.
Deon Knight

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:10 pm

I disagree, it is for roleplaying, simply because most wastelanders aren't going to loot corpes twice and keep traveling to the same spot for that purpose. At least, when I roleplay, going places that I have already visited has a purpose because of a quest.

So if you find an overstocked military armory with food for a regiment, you just grab what you can and never return. Doesn't sound what a normal wastelander would do. Of course he would return there many times, that place would be a jackpot.

The game may not be realistic, even in regards for carry weight, but I consider 250 pounds much more realistic and reasonable than 10K.

So the game is not realistic but when it comes to carryweight it just has to be at least a little. Even with 250 cw you can carry ten miniguns.

They don't expect people to go back and forth to get all of the loot they could have missed. It's just a disincentive for the player. Like the gambling. You have to wait a certain amount of time if you reload a save after gambling before you can gamble again. You can still exploit the save system, but it is much less appealing because of the wait.

How do you know the devs didn't expect players to come back? What if some quest area demands to come there again, am I forbidden to pick up items if there's more room in my inventory? What my companion dropped his imba gun there and I'd like to get it back? There's basically no trace of evidence devs didn't expect players returning to the areas they had secured.

I don't F9 when I lose in gambling. That's half-exploiting and completely differend thing than very high cw. Quickload isn't the same thing as fast travel. Actually if you quickload always when you lose, why don't you give yourself all the caps it's possible to get from gambling right away if you're never going to lose?

Like other people have said, making the choice about which items you want to bring is a good thing for most players.

So I bring only sniper and kill everything. If I bring sniper, shotgun and grenades, I still kill everything but at least it's a little more fun.

People have given their personal opinions how they feel about carryweight, like that it's not realistic or good for roleplay to have too high cw. Nobody has yet managed to prove it wrong that fast travel is basically the same thing if you had infinite carryweight. I don't care about role-play or realism because those things are abstract terms.

This reads like the OP's private Forum PvP.

That's because New Vegas has no multiplayer.
stevie trent

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:29 pm

Ahhhhhhhh this thread is still alive!, somebody kill it, preferably with fire.

I find this topic so silly. :banghead:

Kudos to anyone with the patience to participate in this debate.

Merry Christmas
Ebou Suso

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:25 pm

Instant gratification or bust!
James Wilson

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:32 pm

So if you find an overstocked military armory with food for a regiment, you just grab what you can and never return. Doesn't sound what a normal wastelander would do. Of course he would return there many times, that place would be a jackpot.

So the game is not realistic but when it comes to carryweight it just has to be at least a little. Even with 250 cw you can carry ten miniguns.

How do you know the devs didn't expect players to come back? What if some quest area demands to come there again, am I forbidden to pick up items if there's more room in my inventory? What my companion dropped his imba gun there and I'd like to get it back? There's basically no trace of evidence devs didn't expect players returning to the areas they had secured.

I don't F9 when I lose in gambling. That's half-exploiting and completely differend thing than very high cw. Quickload isn't the same thing as fast travel. Actually if you quickload always when you lose, why don't you give yourself all the caps it's possible to get from gambling right away if you're never going to lose?

So I bring only sniper and kill everything. If I bring sniper, shotgun and grenades, I still kill everything but at least it's a little more fun.

People have given their personal opinions how they feel about carryweight, like that it's not realistic or good for roleplay to have too high cw. Nobody has yet managed to prove it wrong that fast travel is basically the same thing if you had infinite carryweight. I don't care about role-play or realism because those things are abstract terms.

That's because New Vegas has no multiplayer.

You are only getting opinions because it is not an objective subject. In order to not sound like a broken record, I will follow Gabe's example, and just stop participating.
x_JeNnY_x

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:03 pm

I remember the bad old days where games required super human effort to play trough; see the Battletoads thread in Community Discussion :D

yea! let's http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1152230-have-you-beaten-battle-toads-for-the-nes/page__st__20 instead of this. Whatever I can do to get my topic more views right? Oh and making my best attempt to kill this discussion. :flamethrower: die, die die!
Gemma Woods Illustration

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:13 am

The ponit of carry waigth is to limit you from carrying stuff. it is quite simple.
Samantha hulme

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas