Which do you prefer Oblivion or Skyrim?

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:11 am

Leave it to the Morrowind Bible Thumpers to not be able to properly answer a "Oblivion or Skyrim" question.

It would be like "Do you want to have pizza or thai food tonight" and the other person answers "Just give me Jesus!"
Amy Siebenhaar

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 am

Oblivion.
Juliet

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:03 am

Both games are amazing,But both games has it flaws
Patrick Gordon

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:57 pm

skyrim by default as oblivion i couldnt even go 2 steps without freezing and became unplayable...
Davorah Katz

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:19 am

I miss when Oblivion was coming out, watching the demo's the whole radiant AI thing and dynamic shadows.... which never happened. I miss the feel of the Imperial city, the country side near Vilverin, as bad as draw distances were.... but I prefer Skyrim's graphics, and gameplay. Oh and the awesome dungeons. Now that I look back, Oblivion now feels like Morrowind in a sense, I don't know why...
{Richies Mommy}

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:48 am

Things I love in Skyrim: graphs, better combat, dungeons
Things I miss in Oblivion: UI
Things I miss in Morrowind: depth, armour choices, weapon choices, journal, exploration, absence of compass, quest & exploration rewards, cliff racers & Fargoth :P
Jonny

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:54 pm

I prefer Oblivion. But its not fair, since I played Oblivion with a lot of mods, especially OOO. Given time - and mods - I'm sure Skyrim will be just as good. It certainly have that potential.

Off topic: I have been skulking this forum for a long time, but this is my first post. I'd love a fishstick right about now. :)
Eddie Howe

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:40 am

I loved getting into Skyrim on my first character...I built him perfectly to compliment my play-style....and then I found out I had glitched out 4-5 quests simply by exploring/clearing dungeons that I had not flagged the quest for. Since then I have made 4-5 characters so that I would not bug the quests, and the game does not feel the same. I never came across this in Oblivion, which makes me want to say that given the same amount of playtime, at this point, I had enjoyed Oblivion more. Skyrim is a great game, but with so much available to explore, it's really a shame that you can't exactly explore without endangering your ability to complete certain quests later on. Aside from that, I wish Skyrim had different environments. Snow is nice and all, and mountains are cool, but there should be other environments such as deserts or jungles, they would look really good with the engine in place. The towns are a bit underwhelming as well. This game gives you a lot to do, a lot to look at, and a very complimentary leveling system, but it is underwhelming when it comes to variety of enemies, towns, and environments. I'm hoping at least one of the DLCs will take care of one of these issues, as well as fixing quest bugs. It also disguises how big the world actually is by cluttering it with dungeons, caves, and shrines. I think they should have spread out the land more and given themselves more opportunity to have different types of foliage and environments instead of closing everything in between mountains.
Sammi Jones

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:57 am

Well:

Skyrim:
Better graphics and world desin by a million light years (characters, dungeons, monsters, weapons, wildlife etc)
I love the perks
Finishing moves
Werewolves
Marriage

Oblivion:
Better journal
The quests felt better, guilds especially. That said I haven't completed the DB in Skyrim so maybe....?
More armour pieces
Classes
Attributes

Overall I'd have to say they are very close and I love both but for different reasons
Loane

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Morrowind: The good here is that the game actually made you think. There also wasn't a fast travel. Now I know you don't have to use it but when it comes to me, if it's there, I will use it. Morrowind had good ways of getting around and it just seems like fast travel was just an easy way out. Instead of coming up with inventive ways to get around. The big creatures, mage guild teleporters, flying spell. There were more factions in Morrowind and more choices when it came to certain things like skills (only 18 in skyrim where morrowind had 27), weapons, armor, etc. There were also more factions, I think vampires had 3 factions, and how you were put to work made a bit more sense. Though I can't remember, but did you progress to become head person? It's been too long. Werewolves were done right in blood moon.

Skyrim: The world of Skyrim feels more alive. Again I can't remember Morrowind too much but, skyrim seems to have more that you can do. Speaking about variety. Even if some of the things are pretty useless, like grinding wheat, catching fish, chopping wood, working the mill, cooking, etc. It would've been nice to have an optional "hardcoe" mode like in FO NV. Although it wouldn't be as much of a struggle for survival. Fresh water and food is everywhere. As are beds. I also wasn't a fan of Morrowind's alien feel. Mushroom trees, weird unfamiliar creatures, etc. But that's just personal preference. I'm a bit indifferent with the perk tree system. I like the perk system but I feel that the need for them to make constellations with them sorta forced things in a bad way. I definitely like how you can make weapons and armor instead of just repairing. Upgrading is a nice touch too but smithing is something that should have had more thought. Making items from a material that is below your current skill level should have diminishing returns as far as skill advancement goes. That is crafting a steel dagger as soon as your skill is high enough to get the perk should yield the most advancement (which shouldn't be a lot since it's only a dagger, the return should also reflect the size/quantity of mats used) while a skill of 60 should mean little or no advancement to the skill when making steel items (being 40 points above the point you could craft it).

Oblivion: Umm, I can't think of anything good in Oblivion that doesn't exist in either of the other two or was done better in the other two.

All of them seemed to have a pretty bad economy. All of them could benefit from having the character get more involved with the virtual world. To be able to construct things, own shops, create your own faction, etc...
It's almost as if they need to think of a clever way to put a modding kit into the game itself. Being able use a shovel on a plot of land to generate a foundation there (x days pass in the progress), carrying over logs from the mill and building a house on the foundation (again x days pass by doing this).

Then this is where the economy comes in. You could hire help, stores will have house items for purchase. Item placement can then be made less clumsy.
Aside from famous/infamous, good/bad karma, and rankings. They need to implement social standing (beggar, peasant, commoner, nobleman, etc.).

Depending on the social situation, anywhere from just one to all of these will come into play when it comes to things like, npc disposition, dialog options, kind of radiant quests received, quest completion options, etc.
louise hamilton

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:36 pm

oblivion
Yung Prince

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Skyrim no contest.
Inol Wakhid

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:02 am

Have to say I'm enjoying Skyrim more, even though Oblivion is superior in several ways. Skyrim definitely looks and plays better, but Oblivion felt "deeper" if that makes any sense.
Laura Wilson

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Have to say I'm enjoying Skyrim more, even though Oblivion is superior in several ways. Skyrim definitely looks and plays better, but Oblivion felt "deeper" if that makes any sense.
Makes perfect sense. Now that I'm playing Oblivion I see that it's deeper. They are both very fresh to me. It's awesome getting to play both games at the same time for the first time. I thought it would be overwhelming but it's not at all. I have double the quests, double the scenery, double the weapons and different things about each game that I love. The way that I'm playing them works well. I've connected the two characters so they sorts go together. The Oblivion Character is the greet grandfather of the Skyrim chacrcter. My Skyrim character wants to follow the footsteps of his great grandfather. The both have the same traits and are both good in the same areas. It's really awesome.
Alessandra Botham

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Redgaurd FTW!
Nicholas C

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:33 am

Skyrim is better than Oblivion, even a fully modded Oblivion with a good UI. There are things I miss from Oblivion and Morrowind though such as:
  • Attributes - I miss attributes that define your character from the start...
  • equipment that wears out and needs repair
  • the way alchemy works - while the Skyrim version is what I dreamed about in MW and Oblivion (guessing combinations), I find that the influence of skill level isn't as substantial because you don't need high skill level to learn what ingredients do... So I find myself thinking maybe the MW / Oblivion way was better
  • I miss the more complex armor assembly found in MW and Oblivion (MW was perhaps too complex - I mean, pauldrons, really?)
  • I miss spellmaking - was in Arena through Oblivion and now gone...
One thing I think Skyrim does better than Oblivion is the leveling of opponents - vanilla Oblivion was ridiculous - but I still think I should stumble upon more low level bandits... Perhaps if Skyrim was a little less "auto-leveled", closer to the MW method...

I also think the Standing Stones make the game easier than the Birthsigns - because you can change them. After a few levels with Mage or Warrior I switched to Steed just to carry all my potions and weaponry...

One thing that I don't like in Skyrim is that beyond the Imperial Legion / Stormcloak questlines, very few of them are mutually exclusive. I think it's odd that I can be Archmage of the College of Windhelm AND be a member of the Companions AND be a member of the Thieves Guild... In MW you couldn't do that because more faction questions made you enemies (like the Noble Houses)
Tyler F

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 am

to be specific, I enjoyed the Oblivion soundtrack alot more than I did the Skyrim one. The Oblivion title song just has that grand adventurer feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spNQvUNXXcQ
Neko Jenny

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:49 pm

to be specific, I enjoyed the Oblivion soundtrack alot more than I did the Skyrim one. The Oblivion title song just has that grand adventurer feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spNQvUNXXcQ

Agreed, Oblivion title song is amazing. That opening cutscene made me feel fuzzy inside :3

As of right now, I can't really say if I prefer Oblivion or Skyrim, though. I actually just got Oblivion (GoTY) for the PC and I've only played a couple hours of it. But so far I'm enjoying it. I'm at the first Oblivion portal and haven't used fast travel once, and so far it doesn't bother me much. As far as role-playing aspects go, I would say Oblivion, but Skyrim has better dungeons, less level-scaling (although this hasn't bothered me yet), etc.
amhain

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:43 am

Oblivion. Mostly because it was my first TES game, and it was a brand new type of game for me (only other computer game I had played was WoW), so it felt quite magical for a long time. Also, I don't have time to play Skyrim as much as I had time for Oblivion (got a child now IRL), so that also counts in on my decision.

As for what I liked in Oblivion that didn't get implemented in Skyrim - well I really liked being able to access my character's appearance using the menu. I like being able to access the menu and "take a break" to look at my char, try on different types of armor etc (might be a girl thing). In Skyrim it just feels like wasting time, and I never know when someone will sneak up on me to chat or fight. I also remember the guild quest chains to be longer in Oblivion, it's too easy to rise to fame in Skyrim. It also made sense that my armor/weapon would get weary after a while and need repair.
Jade Payton

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:44 am

I prefer Morrowind.

To bad the MGSO is producing constant CTDs for me :'(
Alessandra Botham

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:44 am

Skyrim. As much as I love Oblivion, particularly some of the cities (Anvil, Imperial City), Skyrim just seems richer with texture, culture and uniqueness. I definitely prefer the leveling system and the repeating dungeons in Oblivion got a little old. With Skyrim, I always feel like I'm discovering something new.

I guess the only thing I really miss from Oblivion are the Knights of the Nine. I'd love to see them return in Skyrim.
Ashley Campos

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:53 pm

oblivion, dragons are even more repetitive then oblivion gates, and oblivions quest where infinitely better then skyrims.
Eire Charlotta

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:30 am

I prefer Skyrim. The combat is more enjoyable and the artistic style makes the game feel more real to me. Oblivion just looks cartoony in comparison. The magic system is a big improvement in my opinion as well. I like that some spells take time to 'charge' and others can be used to 'spray' an area. Oblivion's was point and click. Not very exciting. I do wish there was spell making in Skyrim, and some of the spell effects from Oblivion made it into Skyrim.
Alexx Peace

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:16 am

Basically everything King Coin just said. :biggrin:
Kelsey Anna Farley

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:41 am

Without the game breaking bugs I have: Skyrim.
Otherwise Oblivion.
Naazhe Perezz

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim