Which do you prefer Oblivion or Skyrim?

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Skyrim. I do love Oblivion though. :happy:
JD FROM HELL

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:04 pm

I prefer Skyrim - no higwaymen in glass armor!
Jessica Nash

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:32 am

Mechanics and Story----oblivion
everything else-----Skyrim
FLYBOYLEAK

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:49 am

Skyrim by a GREAT margin. Oblivion failed on practically every level. Skyrim also carries over some of those failings, but at least the world and the dungeons they created were top-notch IMO. The quests and such still feel hollow meaningless and extremely linear with no consequences to their outcomes. Exploring the world and each of the dungeons though has been a real blast this time.
Bigze Stacks

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:13 am

Skyrim. Even Morrowind I liked much more than Oblivion.
Kate Murrell

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:53 am

no higwaymen in glass armor!
Nope, not quite. I encountered one just yesterday. But I'll admit, the item leveling is not nearly as heavy-handed this time around.
Cat Haines

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:36 am

God, these endless comparisons are becoming mind numbingly boring!
Catharine Krupinski

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Skyrim. A more varied and interesting landscape, more worthwile exploration, better use of level scaling (though not perfect), and NPCs don't talk about mudcrabs all day.
Genocidal Cry

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Oblivion has better story, setting, and better quests, while all Skyrim has is better combat and better exploreing. To me Oblivion is better, because it has whats needed in a good RPG.
stevie trent

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Skyrim, only because of the art-work... Not much else...

Oblivion, mostly for the quests, but also for the art...

Morrowind, for the art, odd quests, the enchant system, the magic system, the explore factor (you actually discovered things on your own.)...

What would I like from Oblivion, in Skyrim... Not much... The quests are irrelevant here.

I would rather have Morrowind and Oblivion running in the Skyrim modded engine, if it didn't have the horrible save-game file corruption and if they actually fixed the other two games first. But that is beyond thier ability, apparently. They are, after-all, mostly artists, with a programming background, and some story-telling ability.
Lily

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:51 am

I am a mixture of both. Clearly Skyrim is a big improvement on many of the aspects of Oblivion. I like the new combat style, magic style, and changes in skills and removal of attributes.

However, I personally prefer the province of Cyrodill to that of Skyrim. Cyrodill just seems more diverse, with lush green forests, snowy environments, murky swamps, and coastal regions. Sure, Skyrim has many of these, but they're all part of an overarching, snowy, northern feel (which, being Canadian, I grow tired of rapidly, another reason why I enjoy more temperate Cyrodill)

Fortunately, as some PC players have found, Bethesda built BOTH the Morrowind province AND Cyrodill province (geographic features of course; no cities or settlements with the exception of landmarks like White-Gold Tower) With the near arrival of the CK, we can expect Cyrodill and Morrowind provincial mods for Skyrim :)

Of course, I'm still patiently waiting for a Tamriel-wide elder scrolls game, kind of to the scale of Daggerfall, though probably not that large (would be monstrous to handle, and would likely not sell if released in near future, meaning it's likely several years away, maybe even a decade or more)
Smokey

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:39 am

All-round Skyrim is much better than Oblivion. Why? Because Oblivion's setting was generic (and therefor for me) boring and its gameplay repetitive (due to the similar dungeons and computer generated outside environments, that was only added later on by hand).

With Skyrim it is clear they hand-made it from the grounds up. The rock formations and just amazing to look at. Each cave is different and really has its own personality. But there were a few things they did better in Oblivion:

- Quests (in general)
- Guild quests (in particular)
- Amount of guild quests (Skyrim's amount of guild quests is pathetic and really not worthy of an TES game)
- Gaining ranks with in the guilds.

Oblivion was already a step back on all of these fronts compared to Morrowind, but Skyrim is even worse. At least Oblivion had you gain ranks in the guild every 2-3 quests. Skyrim cant do that because each guild only has 7 or so quests... Morrowind of course did it even better as you could gain 10 ranks with one rank after 4-5 quests. There was just a lot more to the guilds in both Morrowind and Oblivion.
Scott

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:51 am

Skyrim. The main reason being immersiveness, imho Skyrim is much more immersive then Oblivion.

Specific gripes I have with both Skyrim and Oblivion aside, since most are (or will be) fixable with mods.

And above that: Morrowind.
Soph

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:54 am

After 85 hours, I have to admit Oblivion was more fun. Skyrim has more going on, but it is years behind other games of 2011. So much the other developers have figured out and done this generation is missing from Skyrim.

It is like a big bag of generic cereal. It cost pennies per bowl, but half way through the giant bag, you find that everything has gone stale and tasteless.
Epul Kedah

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:54 am

They are different games and I have enjoyed them both for different reasons.

I'm glad Skyrim is not the same as Oblivion or Morrowind as I've already played those and wanted something fresh and new.
RAww DInsaww

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:11 am

i much prefer the Oblivion landscape & it's diversity compared to Skyrims, The forest outside Leyawiin was diverse & beautiful as are some of the Aylied ruins, However i feel that Skyrims landscape was designed that way to fit the theme & i cannot fault it for that, As much as i find it lacklustre in many respects.

As for the oft mentioned "generic & boring caves/ruins etc etc" in Oblivion i still notice this happening in Skyrim, Although to a lesser extent but it's still there & was never a problem for me in Oblivion..

I could go on & on regarding spell creation/birthsigns/racial traits but it's been mentioned very eloquently by the posters above, I adore both games & have room for both of them on my list of top 5 favourite glass half filled favourite games of all time.
Sammi Jones

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:40 am

Can't answer this question as Skyrim is my first TES game. However I have always been a huge fan of the games that straddle halfway between the RPG and action worlds with lots of atmosphere, rather than a hardcoe RPG player, so from what others have written I suspect even if I had played Oblivion I would still prefer the overal atmosphere and feeling I get from Skyrim.
Nany Smith

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:43 am

Story-wise, probably Oblivion (including the many guilds in each town etc)
But Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild questlines were amazing. Main quest was meh, kind of predictable. Mages Guild - Oblivions! Fighters/Companion - Oblivions!
Although ya Skyrim has beautiful graphics :)

Both are disappointing in the fact when you become the head of everything, no one realises! They still treat you the same.
Stephani Silva

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:31 am

I know most people won't agree with this but I loved jumping in Oblivion. I wish there was at least some kind of option to jump high. Maybe a potion.
Kat Ives

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:13 am

I know most people won't agree with this but I loved jumping in Oblivion. I wish there was at least some kind of option to jump high. Maybe a potion.

acrobatics was indeed pretty fun.
Laura Mclean

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:51 am

I prefer Skyrim - no higwaymen in glass armor!

I have been acosted by a Thief in glass armor(just a random highwayman to be exact). Also many of them have those cool leather armor hoods that for some reason are the only unlootable thing on their body. Feels pretty cheap to me.
STEVI INQUE

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Other than 1 or 2 things such as spell making and character attributes. oblivion is pretty poor compared to Skyrim.

What usually happens in these threads is too many people usually compare a heavily modded Oblivion against a vanilla Skyrim.

Vanilla Oblivion is a rather poor game and most people would do well remembering the large amount of vitriol that was spewed when it was released and the flak it still recieves to this day. Most of it justified imo.

Apart from a few people, most of us had to resort to standing in a ruin/cave wearing heavy armour just to get some health, the caves were generic, the ruins were generic, the Oblivion gates became old fast, every enemy wore glass and daedric armour come the later levels, really, really really piss poor MQ (epic battle of Bruma anyone? It's was a cheese fest that was poorly executed. Around 6 npcs shouting for Martin - yeah, truly epic). i could go on all day, but I'm sure most of you already know the issues Oblivion had.

I'll repeat, the only good thing about Oblivion was the Mods, spell creator and the DB quest line.

While I am sure the mods for Oblivion are awesome (and someday maybe I will get a PC and try them), I enjoyed vanilla Oblivion very much on both PS3 and Xbox, having logged well in excess of 500 hours (probably closer to 1,000) and played a dozen different character builds. Sure, I had complaints about Oblivion, but that is true of every Elder Scrolls game. There are things I don't like about Morrowind (dungeons do not respawn, for example), but it is still an awesome game, better than Oblivion and Skyrim in some ways.

Right now it is too soon to tell if I like Skyrim or Oblivion better. Since I have only logged about 150 hours in Skyrim, it is what I want to play right now moreso than Oblivion because there is so much more to discover in Skyrim and I have pretty much explored every square inch of Cyrodiil.

Ask me again in two years after I have spent as much time in Skyrim as I have in Oblivion (and after the DLC/patches for Skyrim are available) and maybe I will be able to answer the question.
Alessandra Botham

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:32 am

I'd like to know what game you like better and why? Oblivion or Skyrim? If you choose Skyrim please list one thing you would of loved to see from Oblivion that didn't make it only Skyrim. If you choose Oblivion tell us why.

For me is simple. I love both. I can't choose. Although the lagging and freezing on the ps3 that Skyrim has is leading me more towards Oblivion. I say both because If I'm in a certain mood I like one over the other. Skyrim is a little scary sometimes and Oblivion makes me happy. Scary is good though that's why I like it.

Please leave out graphics. Graphics don't count because I'm talking about when both games actually came out. Which one did you enjoy playing the most basically.

To follow up on my last post and answer the OP, if I could choose one thing from Oblivion to carry over to Skyrim it would be the spellcrafting and additional spell effects from Oblivion (and Morrowind). I understand why they cannot allow levetation when the cities have walls (cause you could jump a wall and end up in never never land), but that doesn't explain why they took away spells like command and water walking from Oblivion and slow fall and mark/recall from Morrowind. I never use fast travel, ever, but a teleport spell would be like the ones available in Morrowind would be awesome.

Come to think of it, there is no good reason why we can't have a levitation spell like they had in Morrowind, the programmers could use an invisible wall boundary to keep people from levitating in and out of cities, like they use at the edge of the map. How cool would it be for a high level mage to levitate to the top of a mountain to battle the dragon up there!

There is a very long list of spell effects that have been eliminated from prior games, and with no spell crafting, it makes magic seem like a hollow shell of its former glory.
SHAWNNA-KAY

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:17 am

Skyrim.
Lily Something

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:50 am

Skyrim!

i loved oblivion as well but skyrim is better in my opinion, but i do wish they brought back acrobatics and athletics as a skill
Channing

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim