Which do you prefer Oblivion or Skyrim?

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Ditto. Just to be sure I loaded Oblivion and a selection of my preffered mods and started a new character. Didnt even play it to level 2, the game just didnt draw me in at all.

You were probably looking to not like Oblivion as much.

I can't even go back and play Morrowind right now because I'm in such a Skyrim state of mind.
danni Marchant

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:36 pm

"Skyrim" is the King!!!
Breautiful

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:55 am

Skyrim by far. I cant stand first person perspective and I get second person in Skyrim - overall, its been alot more fun to just explore randomly and feel like I did something or found something. I gave up on Oblivion.

The thing I do miss is I dont think they put enough humor, special characters of interest or variety in the game. I think next time - they need to get a group of developers who are just comedians - create some funny characters in some towns, out in the country, etc. - then add some places, monsters and missions that are JUST UNIQUE compared to the rest. There is some of that like finding a Hag in a cage who needs help from "my pretty pretty meat" and breaths like she's on a resperator. Classic and memorable. Its those SCENES that are memorable - that there needs to be more of in the game. Yah - its another cave with bears in it - yawn. Wont remember that....but I do remember the hidden treasure chests in it :)
sarah taylor

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:26 am

Oblivion, by far.

Much better character creation / development. Better questlines. And I prefer Cyrodiil as a setting.

Although, Oblivion has a bit of an unfair advantage... as I tend to take mods into consideration when looking back on the game (which fixed a lot of its flaws). Ask me again in a few years time once Skyrim's modding community has grown, and it'll probably be a lot closer to Oblivion.

I and other friends of mine play exclusively on XBOX - so MODS are not part of the formula for us. Mods to me seem like ways to cheat because if they were meant for the game - they would release them in a patch. The only mods I would even consider would be those that allow me to change the look and feel of my character - better looking, sixier clothing, etc. MODS that let you avoid LOCKPICKING for example - are just ways to cheat.
Peetay

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:22 am

I like the way Skyrim looks, plays and feels way more than Oblivion...
I never finished the MQ of Oblivion, because I too thought the realm of Oblivion was tedious, boring...and other adjectives. I wound up playing mostly an archer/alchemist who loved to hunt and gather.
I still love to hunt and gather in Skyrim and the archery system and perks are so much more fun in Skyrim, as is the alchemy system. It doesn't even bother me that you cannot carry a mortar and pestle.
So much could be said, but Skyrim is a much better game all around, and it doesn't look like psuedo-medievalistic visions on Prozac. :blush2:
brian adkins

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:00 am

You were probably looking to not like Oblivion as much.

I can't even go back and play Morrowind right now because I'm in such a Skyrim state of mind.

Quiet the contrary, I was looking forward to utilising a full range of magic spells and having bound armor and such. But I just couldnt get in to it, nothing about it drew me in. And then the stuttering started. And it was at that point I remembered precisely why I stopped playing it.
Robert Garcia

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:05 am

<----You already know what I think.
Spoiler
Skyrim
Emily Graham

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:49 am

<----You already know what I think.
Spoiler
Skyrim

Haha
Rachael Williams

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Skyrim. Anybody who says Oblivion is just overeacting at a few shortcomings that they didn't like.

Or maybe they just prefered Oblivion.
Emmanuel Morales

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:19 am

Or maybe they just prefered Oblivion.

A DIFFRENCE OF OPINION????!!!?!?!?

NO IT CANT BE
M!KkI

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:57 am

I miss spellmaking and spell variety. I also miss attributes, speed, acrobatics, athletics. I would ahve to play te game again to make a real decision though. Been over a year since I played Oblivion.
Claire Jackson

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Skyrim by far. I could list some reasons sounding rational, but for me Oblivion as a whole felt like a game without a soul. With many mods Oblivion was a good game, however Skyrim is still better even as vanilla because of the combat system.

Better in Oblivion: guild quests, armour with more pieces, spellweaving (I don't miss it so much however), quieter npc
Better in Skyrim: combat, main quest, animations, Dwemer ruins, levelling system, dungeon diversity
and some special things I like in Skyrim: steps do no longer sound as you are wearing heavy boots when you are barefoot or with light shoes (I really really hated that in Oblivion!), very nice light armour

If I would compare Skyrim with Morrowind it would be more close. I would however, despite a lot more depth in Morrowind, still prefer Skyrim because of the better combat and levelling system.
Siobhan Wallis-McRobert

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:33 am

steps do no longer sound as you are wearing heavy boots when you are barefoot or with light shoes (I really really hated that in Oblivion!)

I actually miss that in Skyrim, especially when one of the Sneak perks is to reduce armor noise by 50%. How do I know how loud my armor is when it all sounds the same?!
BaNK.RoLL

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:28 am

Art design - Skyrim

Animation - Skyrim

Dungeon exploration - Skyrim

Overworld exploration - Skyrim

Guilds - Oblivion

Main quest - Oblivion

RPG stats/elements - Oblivion

Characters - Oblivion

Overall winner - Morrowind :trophy:
Shirley BEltran

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:05 pm

What forced 3rd person?
Horses, werewolf, and finishers

I prefer Skyrim over Oblivion.
Cameron Wood

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:34 pm

im not really a fan of nordic culture or snow really, BECAUSE I LIVE THERE! :P

Oblivion had a much better culture and structure than Skyrim, Main quest was better in Oblivion..
If i compare Oblivion when it was released and Skyrim when it was released i must say that Oblivion made my body go more nuts.
Cassie Boyle

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Guards: Oblivion

Wes Johnson.
..xX Vin Xx..

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:52 am

Skyrim.

The Oblivion gates got boring and repetitive. And the leveling system in Skyrim is much, much better.
This, especially the two bolded words. I like Oblivion's world but it's not even in Skyrim's league. Much better open world, leveling system and game in general.
X(S.a.R.a.H)X

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Other than 1 or 2 things such as spell making and character attributes. oblivion is pretty poor compared to Skyrim.

What usually happens in these threads is too many people usually compare a heavily modded Oblivion against a vanilla Skyrim.

Vanilla Oblivion is a rather poor game and most people would do well remembering the large amount of vitriol that was spewed when it was released and the flak it still recieves to this day. Most of it justified imo.

Apart from a few people, most of us had to resort to standing in a ruin/cave wearing heavy armour just to get some health, the caves were generic, the ruins were generic, the Oblivion gates became old fast, every enemy wore glass and daedric armour come the later levels, really, really really piss poor MQ (epic battle of Bruma anyone? It's was a cheese fest that was poorly executed. Around 6 npcs shouting for Martin - yeah, truly epic). i could go on all day, but I'm sure most of you already know the issues Oblivion had.

I'll repeat, the only good thing about Oblivion was the Mods, spell creator and the DB quest line.
Natalie Harvey

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:41 am

Skyrim I am playing it since this christmas , but thanks to work I didn't have much time last week, I still don't have any mods included, I played Oblivion with lots of Mods ...

Skyrim I really did have the 'Morrowind' feeling I did have like ten years back when I discoverd TeS ...

Maybe thanks to the soundtrack by Jeremy Soule I must admit.
megan gleeson

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:56 am

Morrowind is better than both of them.
Less worse is Skyrim wich is a bit above Oblivion, but is as deceptive in some aspects.
Danger Mouse

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:25 am

Skyrim. It might even push out MW as my favourite TES game but its a bit early to decide that.
Compared to Oblivion well no boring repetitive Gates, much better level-scaling and a much more interesting world. Crafting is much improved over Oblivion
On the downside I do miss spell creation, birthsigns and the option to flesh out your character at the beginning of the game but overall a massive improvement on Oblivion
Janette Segura

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:59 am

Morrowind :slap:

I enjoyed Oblivion when i played it at the time, and i am enjoying Skyrim now. I think of these two, that i prefer Skyrim.
^_^

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:25 am

I miss repairing ....
Calum Campbell

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:39 am

I miss repairing ....

It was Ok, although that is down the list a ways on things i miss.
bonita mathews

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim