Which do you prefer Oblivion or Skyrim?

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:15 am

Neither. They both have their good points and bad points...which I won't go into now . I refuse to fall into the trap of not being able to remove the rose colored glasses when it comes to Oblivion, I've seen that happen to far too many fans of previous TES (and Fallout) games.
Oyuki Manson Lavey

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:18 am

Skyrim easily, mainly because of the new levelling system. It works well on the whole and makes me feel a lot less restricted in building my character. The world is also more interesting and alive. If I could have one thing back in from Oblivion it would be more spell effects. I don't care about spellmaking, I just want the effects back.
Reven Lord

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:27 pm

Morrowind
ZzZz

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:59 am

You people can't read.
Oblivion OR Skyrim.... Not morrowind.

I'd say Skyrim for sure. It's a much prettier version of Oblvion...with dragons! It may have less fanasty, but it is much more realistic.
Katharine Newton

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Skyrim, I like the details in the world. Fish jumping, Butterflys. I like the fight mechanics better, magic is a minor skill for me.

I did like the fighters guild better in Oblivion, going from one town to another to get the quests ( even though I managed to break a quest on my last playthrough). That said I think the interactions are better in Skyrim ( I didn't play any of the games before Oblivion so Have no opinion their).

I have not gone past the 1/2 point in the main quest( skyrim) so I can't say which I really like better. BUT I had empathy for Martin, I felt sick to my stomach at the end of the main quest.

The horses svck in both!

I like the Dragons better than the oblivion gates.
Monika Fiolek

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Skyrim. I didn't even finish Oblivion due to the level scaling. Also the changing of Cyrodiil from a jungle to a temperate zone always annoyed me.
kristy dunn

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:59 am

I feel Skyrim can have more loot. After a certain level I started to not even look in anything. With Oblivion I was always searching for something. Also the merch that stores sell in Skyrim gets old. In oblivion stores had exclusive things in them that you couldn't get anywhere else. Skyrim had the same exact stuff over and over. Its really a shame. I even liked the stores in Oblivion better. I really wish Skyrim had some sort of market district or flee market type thing. It would be so cool if there was a huge outside area that a whole bunch of merchants got together to sell stuff.
Kay O'Hara

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:04 am

I actually say Morrowind. Character customization, atmoshpere, and the game world are just through the roof. Oblivion was a graphical step forward, a gameplay step laterally, and a character development step backward. I liked the old stye of combat in previous games where it is a representation of action, not action itself (basically, it is imperitive to build your character or you will not succeed. It was impossible to out fox the system ("my character svcks at lockpicking, but I'm great at mini games!!") for skill checks. Spell making was still a feature of the series, as was magical item crafting (not the skimmed down version of enchantment we have today). I like playing Skyrim. It's a lot of fun. But I really enjoy a lot of what Morrowind does a lot better, especially with the graphical modifications that are STILL coming out for it. If people are still playing with Skyrim 10 years from now, I will be pretty shocked.
Lauren Denman

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:11 am

I have not gone past the 1/2 point in the main quest( skyrim) so I can't say which I really like better. BUT I had empathy for Martin, I felt sick to my stomach at the end of the main quest.

Oblivion's MQ surprised me - for all my gripes with it, I ended up caring about the characters. Skyrim's started out with a bang, but by the end I just wanted to walk. The whole thing felt a bit too forced, and I didn't care for any of the characters.
louise fortin

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Oblivion < Morrowind = Skyrim (for different reasons and purposes)

I feel Oblivion was the middle ground experiment that suffered from lack of direction (although it's not a bad game), whereas I find it much more entertaining to play Skyrim, or immerse myself in Morrowind.
Celestine Stardust

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:03 am

Skyrim by far, but i did enjoy Oblivion's final cut scene. It provided everything that a game should have: sacrifice and an epilogue. To me, Skyrim's ending didn't make too much sense, and the main story was OK. Oblivion had more guilds that Skyrim needs, such as a full Fighters Guild (Companions questline was WAY too short.) and Skyrim needs an arena.
Laura Richards

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:47 am

Oblivion. Unfortunatley Skyrim even after 300+ I just can't seem to get hooked every hour felt like an obligation to get involved in it because of how long I waited to play it but never because I was really feeling the love for the game. It is an amazing game and i will keep playing it, but alas it doesn't hold a candle to Oblivion for me.
Paula Rose

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Skyrim.

Not even close.
quinnnn

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Skyrim, i love the new leveling system...don't forget the amazing graphics. I love Role Playing on my assassin. Luring my foes into the forest and assassinating them, then dumping there body's into the river.
CArla HOlbert

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Morrowind. Oh, were not allowed to say Morrowind?

Okay... i have to be honest i am unsure. I've played 108 hours of Skyrim and whilst i can list things i think each game did better/worse, i have no overall favourite between Oblivion and Skyrim as of yet.

I would say i loved Oblivion's world far more than Skyrim's.. yet, Skyrim has far better dungeons and brings back the Dwemer ruins which i absolutely loved to explore in Morrowind. I need more time.
Samantha Mitchell

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:26 am

Sorry I did not add morrowind but it's only because I've never played it and I wouldn't know what people were talking about when they said why. Now I can see that I may have to play morrowind just to see what all the fuss is about. Honeslty I don't know if I can even get into it because it looks so dated from the videos I've seen. I know graphics are not eveything but it is hard for me to get into a game with dated graphics when I have insane graphics from other games right in front of me. It would have to be one heck of a game for me to get into it. It would have to be really epic. From what I have been reading on the forums I think morrowind may be that game. I like a good challenge. I here that morrowind doesn't hold your hand. In fact I'm so sick of game holding our hands and making it super easy to play and beat. I remember when games like megaman were out and they were so hard. Also I hate having to turn up the difficulty. I just want a game to have little less direction and for it to actually be challenging. Skyrim does do that pretty well but it's still not what I'm looking for. Would it have been that hard for them to make Skyrim where you would actually have to think things through to get places. I don't know I may try out morrowind and form my own opinion.
Kitana Lucas

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Morrowind>Skyrim>Oblivion
{Richies Mommy}

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Sorry I did not add morrowind but it's only because I've never played it and I wouldn't know what people were talking about when they said why. Now I can see that I may have to play morrowind just to see what all the fuss is about. Honeslty I don't know if I can even get into it because it looks so dated from the videos I've seen. I know graphics are not eveything but it is hard for me to get into a game with dated graphics when I have insane graphics from other games right in front of me. It would have to be one heck of a game for me to get into it. It would have to be really epic. From what I have been reading on the forums I think morrowind may be that game. I like a good challenge. I here that morrowind doesn't hold your hand. In fact I'm so sick of game holding our hands and making it super easy to play and beat. I remember when games like megaman were out and they were so hard. Also I hate having to turn up the difficulty. I just want a game to have little less direction and for it to actually be challenging. Skyrim does do that pretty well but it's still not what I'm looking for. Would it have been that hard for them to make Skyrim where you would actually have to think things through to get places. I don't know I may try out morrowind and form my own opinion.

Get it for PC and install the texture mods that are out there. Even back in its heyday, there were mods out to vastly improve the appearance.
Ebony Lawson

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:05 am

Daggerfall tops them all.
D IV

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:21 pm

I defintely prefer Skyrim over Oblivion, although the forced 3rd person and Steam annoy me.
Quick Draw

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:21 am

Oblivion was great, but it's unlikely that I will ever play it again...skyrim is a vastly better in my opinion, and I just couldn't justify playing it while I could be playing skyrim instead.
Leah

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 am

skyrim

2 things I want:

imperial province xpack on dlc, along with ayelid ruins, minotaurs, ogres, goblins, etc

massive daedric planes xpack on dlc
daedric planes visit for each daedric lord
along with a horde of different daedra from oblivion and morrowind
daedra is something I miss a lot
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:42 am

skyrim over oblivion although i miss spellmaking, armor repair (even if it did use silly hammers) and i think guild questlines were better in oblivion. skyrim for everything else though.

fallout 3 and fallout NV beat the snot out of skyrim and oblivion hands down though and not just because of the setting. fallout 3 was just as fun to explore randomly (fallout NV not so much) both fallouts had better quests and followers, especially fallout NV. and im really having a hard time with skyrim having no faction system whatsoever where i can run around freely in a city wearing the opposing sides armor after playing fallout NV where i could disguise myself and sneak into cottonwood and dump nuclear waste on them. skyrim is like my family in a food coma after a big meal.
Jason White

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:11 am

I think games wise and i know you said dont add graphics but skyrim is a better graphics version of oblivion, i just played oblivion for the first time before, skyrim and other some ingame changes, its skill same based quests, a different main storyline, but its still the same game base, find mine/dungeon kill for exp to level so you can find mine/dungeon for exp to level and grab random quests along the way, like after finishing oblivion you could have basically just followed the clues to the main storyline and finished the game and not cared about the rest. Coming from 4 and a bit years of a certain MMORPG that had 12 million players, its seems to be alot of grinding, i left that because of its repeatative nature, and oblivion was a grind and skyrim is a better graphics grind.

And gameplay is the backbone of any game, the major part i like, is the fact its a world and you have to go from place to place in real time, but finding endless mines and dungeons and just grinding gets tedious after the first few, quests to places give you logical reasons to enter them but oh look theres a dungeon i bet theres some exp in there so i can level up and raise a skill.

Also as Metal punks said it could do with alot more loot, not just loot, loot but its as though the merchants are buying from the same warehouse supplier, and there was alot more interesting unique items to go search for, plus i know with the new smithing mechanic, why could they not at least let you personalise your armour, if im going to be some dragon hero thingy, then i want to stand out and look the way i think i should look, not like everyone else.
Invasion's

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:18 pm

I'm in the 'both' category too, OP. I enjoyed Oblivion when I played it and I love Skyrim now. There are little things in both games that irritate me but they are fun on the whole.
Jessica Lloyd

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim