[RELz] Fake Patch v_1.4.0.6 (Thread #2)

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:35 am

Who cares if you believe me? My goal in life is not to please someone I've never met.

Upon further review, however, Concentrated fire seems to be working, and not the others. Sorry for that. Is this patch worth the trouble to get, since my level 20 wasteland monster is killing Deathclaws and enclave soldiers in his sleep?

Sorry...

*EDIT* S'pose I shoulda read the post...

Concentrated fire uses a different http://geck.gamesas.com/index.php/Entry_Point than Gunslinger/Commando/et al (which is Calculate To Hit Chance). That's why it still works.

For your maxed character, probably not. But if you were to start a new character, you'd have the messed up VATS to deal with.

It's more than just the perks, there's a noticeable pause in activating VATS. I've noticed two kinds of VATS loading pauses: There's one where the screen gets stuck momentarily in some super-fuzzy deal (it occasionally completely borks up all my AA settings, so I think it may be video card related), and then another where you see a jaggie-infested thin green outline around your target before it suddenly turns into the usual green aura around the body part being moused over (which I think may be some sort of visual silhouette check for visibility calculations). All versions may suffer the AA pause, but only those beset by the VATS bugs introduced by v1.1 will have the "Calculation pause". You see the jaggie-infested green line for a split-second in the un-bugged VATS, but sometimes for 2 or even three seconds with the bugged VATS.

And then there's the calculation errors and 0% chance to hit grenades and rockets.
Eilidh Brian

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:48 am

I'd like to give this a try, but as a STEAM user I can't get hold of the 1.0.0.15 exe. (Unfortunately the link on the first page seems to only link back to itself.)
Bethesda probably prefer it that way.

Anyone know of a method to prevent STEAM from installing a later version?

Incidentally, does this do anything to the stability of the game?

edited to say, Arrgh.

And I waited a couple of days to see if anyone else was going to ask... :D
Sorry about that >_< There's now a 1.0.0.15 exe right beside Fake Patch to download since you can't revert with the steam version. As for stability, it seems more stable to me and I can still Alt+Tab in and out without the game locking up.
Is this patch worth the trouble to get, since my level 20 wasteland monster is killing Deathclaws and enclave soldiers in his sleep?
For future playthroughs, I'd say so, not to mention I don't thing there's another way to target grenades and missile and not get a 0% chance to hit.
I don't know if it's something with Fake Patch or 1.0.0.15, but I went from full 1.4.06 to 1.0.0.15 with Fake Patch & Unofficial Patch and now some console commands don't work, like... player.modpca strength 5 or player.modpca explosives 20, they don't say they don't register as commands or anything, they just do nothing. They worked previously.

What cha think that might be and/or how to fix it?
I'm experiencing the same results using a 1.0.0.15 and 1.4.0.6. The explosives skill doesn't budge and setting strength to 8 results in it jumping to 10. I haven't messed too much with those console commands, but they seem to work/not work in the same way regardless of which .exe's being used.
Bigze Stacks

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:51 am

Sorry...

*EDIT* S'pose I shoulda read the post...

Concentrated fire uses a different http://geck.gamesas.com/index.php/Entry_Point than Gunslinger/Commando/et al (which is Calculate To Hit Chance). That's why it still works.

For your maxed character, probably not. But if you were to start a new character, you'd have the messed up VATS to deal with.

It's more than just the perks, there's a noticeable pause in activating VATS. I've noticed two kinds of VATS loading pauses: There's one where the screen gets stuck momentarily in some super-fuzzy deal (it occasionally completely borks up all my AA settings, so I think it may be video card related), and then another where you see a jaggie-infested thin green outline around your target before it suddenly turns into the usual green aura around the body part being moused over (which I think may be some sort of visual silhouette check for visibility calculations). All versions may suffer the AA pause, but only those beset by the VATS bugs introduced by v1.1 will have the "Calculation pause". You see the jaggie-infested green line for a split-second in the un-bugged VATS, but sometimes for 2 or even three seconds with the bugged VATS.

And then there's the calculation errors and 0% chance to hit grenades and rockets.

Haha. no worries. I was in a bad mood earlier, and I shouldn't have responded as such. While i haven't been as active, we've been on these forums almost the same amount of time.

The reason VATS has a significant pause is they reworked the way the FOV was done to increase focus on the target. If you look at the targeting with the older patch and compare it to the newer patch, the newer patch looks worlds better, at the sacrifice of performance and even memory leaks that break windows over all. So This should work fine if I unpack my BSAs, and use an Unpatched .exe (from a clean install on another operating system) and patch up? It won't alter my BSAs because their version doesn't match the version the patch is looking for (Backed them up just to be sure) So installing the patch and editing the files line seems to work fine, as an easy option for those with a dual boot environment.

EDIT** Good news is that with minimal playing I got it to work just fine. Thanks for your help and I have to admit that the visual downgrade is FAR worth the stability increase. You rock for figuring this out, even though I didn't actually use your .esm download, your other advice for setting it up was most useful, and i wouldn't have been able to do this without your help.
Daniel Brown

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:17 am

I'm experiencing the same results using a 1.0.0.15 and 1.4.0.6. The explosives skill doesn't budge and setting strength to 8 results in it jumping to 10. I haven't messed too much with those console commands, but they seem to work/not work in the same way regardless of which .exe's being used.

You aren't supposed to use the number you want, but the number you want to add. For example, if you have 5 strength, you'd type player.modpca strength 3 to get 8 instead of typing 8, which would be 13 which is impossible, so it caps out at 10.

But, mine isn't working at all with 1.0.0.15. Like, I'll type it and nothing happens whatsoever. Explosives, small guns, energy weapons, lockpick, nothing.

Edit: Actually, nevermind. I'm stupid... I was using the wrong commands, apparently the ones I was using are for Oblivion. Here's the correct ones:

player.forceav [SPECIAL] #
ex: player.forceav strength 3
- the amount to add

player.modav [SkillWithoutSpaces] #
ex: player.modav explosives 30
- the amount to add
victoria johnstone

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:40 am

Haha. no worries. I was in a bad mood earlier, and I shouldn't have responded as such. While i haven't been as active, we've been on these forums almost the same amount of time.

The reason VATS has a significant pause is they reworked the way the FOV was done to increase focus on the target. If you look at the targeting with the older patch and compare it to the newer patch, the newer patch looks worlds better, at the sacrifice of performance and even memory leaks that break windows over all. So This should work fine if I unpack my BSAs, and use an Unpatched .exe (from a clean install on another operating system) and patch up? It won't alter my BSAs because their version doesn't match the version the patch is looking for (Backed them up just to be sure) So installing the patch and editing the files line seems to work fine, as an easy option for those with a dual boot environment.

EDIT** Good news is that with minimal playing I got it to work just fine. Thanks for your help and I have to admit that the visual downgrade is FAR worth the stability increase. You rock for figuring this out, even though I didn't actually use your .esm download, your other advice for setting it up was most useful, and i wouldn't have been able to do this without your help.

It's recommended to use the FakePatch ESM, because it contains a range of fixes that made it into the v1.1 ESM, such as all the disappearing Megaton citizens. Fixes that went into the executable obviously aren't in it (like re-mapping VATS and PipBoy keys, or the hair glossiness effect or auto-loading BSAs).

You only need to unpack BSAs if you run out of space in the BSA load line, which shouldn't happen if you shorten the ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa (You do have AII installed... right?) to just AII.bsa in both the actual filename and the BSA load list. Expected BSA load line running out of space with just DLCs considered shouldn't happen until Broken Steel... and hopefully the VATS bug will be killed by then. I'm (presumably) running with BSAs that were subject to the V1.1 patch but I'm using a v1.0 ESM and executable.

Also... memory leaks? Yeesh. You may want to PM that info to GStaff if you're certain on it, he hopefully can pass it on to the relevant people in the dev team. I'd rather have properly functional VATS than visually better VATS (TBH I didn't notice any visual difference, but I wasn't looking actively for it :shrug:).
Ella Loapaga

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:14 pm

You only need to unpack BSAs if you run out of space in the BSA load line.

Haven't heard this before, just how long is too long?
WTW

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:53 am

Sorry about that >_< There's now a 1.0.0.15 exe right beside Fake Patch to download since you can't revert with the steam version. As for stability, it seems more stable to me and I can still Alt+Tab in and out without the game locking up.

Seems to work, so far, and lovely VATS pops up all quick and stuff, like it did when I were a lad. No idea about the perks yet, but I'm feeling confident. :D

I haven't run into any problems with the mismatched .ESM, so far, so if/when I do at least I'll know that I can get past it.

I'm wondering, though. If I buy a disc based copy, for my wife, and "borrow" her 1.0.0.15 .ESM, will STEAM notice? Only one way to find out, I suppose, and since she wants a copy of her own, anyway...

Thanks, though, for helping to get the game running as well as it did when I paid for it. :goodjob:

Now we return to Bethesda' patching team inaction. Sorry, I meant in action... >>> :brokencomputer:
Tina Tupou

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:30 am

Haven't heard this before, just how long is too long?

According to the OP, 255 characters per line, max.

@Topic: On the topic of "title music following you in-game" (as noted in the blurb for Steam users in the OP), the problem can be solved by simply playing a radio station and turning it off. The title music goes away and is replaced by the regular in-game music. No need to restart FO3.

-- Griffinhart
Princess Johnson

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:20 pm

i finally got everything to work, but now I am experiencing a new problem.

the ammo press in the pitt never responds to me filling the material box, the terminal never displays "Ammo Production" like it is supposed to. i have already completed the quests and have been given access & instructions for it. the reason why i suspect this might be caused by the fake patch is that the only people I have talked to or seen that have experienced this same bug, have also been using the fake patch (not to mention, it worked the one time i tried to use it before installing fake patch). Is it possible that something in the 1.4.0.6 patch enables this function to work? If you think there is a possibility I'll probably try patching it up to 1.4.0.6 to see if it continues, but i just want to make sure it wouldn't be a waste of time in case you know for sure that its not caused by the fake patch.
neen

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:34 pm

Ok so I reinstalled Fallout 3, updated to the 1.0.0.15 and got everything up and running. VATS perks now work correctly, as do my other mods... except Operation Anchorage. I dropped the anchorage.esm, .bsa and sounds file in the data directory, as I'm running it offline. Am I supposed to do something else to them?

Edit [more detail]: I started a fresh game. I got to Bailey's Crossroads Metro, and to the Crossroads themselves, the quest updates, but the place with the elevator to go to the actual Outpost just has a big hole with lots of exclamation points.
Louise Dennis

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:29 am

Ok so I reinstalled Fallout 3, updated to the 1.0.0.15 and got everything up and running. VATS perks now work correctly, as do my other mods... except Operation Anchorage. I dropped the anchorage.esm, .bsa and sounds file in the data directory, as I'm running it offline. Am I supposed to do something else to them?

Edit [more detail]: I started a fresh game. I got to Bailey's Crossroads Metro, and to the Crossroads themselves, the quest updates, but the place with the elevator to go to the actual Outpost just has a big hole with lots of exclamation points.

Did you properly register your BSAs in the INI? It sounds like you didn't, which means you need to read the OP for instructions.
DAVId MArtInez

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:38 am

Your entry is 271 characters and there's a 255 character limit. The solution is also in the OP in the DLC compatibility section.

So if the entry exceeds 255 characters, the last one in line (like "ThePitt - Sounds.bsa") won't be loaded correctly right (the voice in The Pitt will be missing)? But there's another entry exceeds 255 limit at the beginning: sUnessentialFileCacheList= ...
I did some tests with my current setup (with FOSE of course), here's my archive list:
SArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, G4WLD.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa, Anchorage - Main.bsa, Anchorage - Sounds.bsa, ThePitt - Main.bsa, ThePitt - Sounds.bsa

Yep, it has total 282 characters, and the voice works good: Werhner/Mex/etc speak properly. I guess the 255 limit might be "fixed" with FOSE installed. I can't be sure though. :$

There are still some problems like scripted scene errors (the first guard in downtown keeps playing "punching/kicking" anims and slides away instead of killing the three slaves) and CTD while trying to enter other zones (like downtown to the mill, the mill to the steel yard, or downtown to uptown). But I think it's because of the scripting/programming problems in the esm, since they have nothing to do with my Fallout.ini or bsa files (even if the entry is less than 255 characters). Here are two threads about the map loading CTD problem:
http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=971618
http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=972285
Seriously, this sux D:
Jordyn Youngman

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:13 am

So if the entry exceeds 255 characters, the last one in line (like "ThePitt - Sounds.bsa") won't be loaded correctly right (the voice in The Pitt will be missing)? But there's another entry exceeds 255 limit at the beginning: sUnessentialFileCacheList= ...
I did some tests with my current setup (with FOSE of course), here's my archive list:
SArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, G4WLD.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa, Anchorage - Main.bsa, Anchorage - Sounds.bsa, ThePitt - Main.bsa, ThePitt - Sounds.bsa

Yep, it has total 282 characters, and the voice works good: Werhner/Mex/etc speak properly. I guess the 255 limit might be "fixed" with FOSE installed. I can't be sure though. :$

There are still some problems like scripted scene errors (the first guard in downtown keeps playing "punching/kicking" anims and slides away instead of killing the three slaves) and CTD while trying to enter other zones (like downtown to the mill, the mill to the steel yard, or downtown to uptown). But I think it's because of the scripting/programming problems in the esm, since they have nothing to do with my Fallout.ini or bsa files (even if the entry is less than 255 characters). Here are two threads about the map loading CTD problem:
http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=971618
http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=972285
Seriously, this sux D:

Shorten "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa" to just "AII.bsa" in both the BSA load list and in the actual filename.
W E I R D

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:49 am

Shorten "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa" to just "AII.bsa" in both the BSA load list and in the actual filename.

As I said, even if the entry is less than 255 characters (and I know that I should edit the BSA names in both INI and the actual filename), those problems (scripted scene errors / CTD while changing zones) are still there. And I got The Pitt textures/voices/models working PROPERLY.
All my previous post states is: The 255 characters limit probably isn't a problem if FOSE is installed.
I don't know if it's because my English svcks or you just didn't read my post clearly.... D:
:)Colleenn

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:39 am

It's recommended to use the FakePatch ESM, because it contains a range of fixes that made it into the v1.1 ESM, such as all the disappearing Megaton citizens. Fixes that went into the executable obviously aren't in it (like re-mapping VATS and PipBoy keys, or the hair glossiness effect or auto-loading BSAs).

You only need to unpack BSAs if you run out of space in the BSA load line, which shouldn't happen if you shorten the ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa (You do have AII installed... right?) to just AII.bsa in both the actual filename and the BSA load list. Expected BSA load line running out of space with just DLCs considered shouldn't happen until Broken Steel... and hopefully the VATS bug will be killed by then. I'm (presumably) running with BSAs that were subject to the V1.1 patch but I'm using a v1.0 ESM and executable.

Also... memory leaks? Yeesh. You may want to PM that info to GStaff if you're certain on it, he hopefully can pass it on to the relevant people in the dev team. I'd rather have properly functional VATS than visually better VATS (TBH I didn't notice any visual difference, but I wasn't looking actively for it :shrug:).

No you mistake me. I only patched the clean install on the second operating system, then copied it to my Fallout install on my vista partition.. All my BSAs and esm/esps are the 1.1.0.35 versions (I'll trade exe's out to upgrade to 1.4 on the ESM). Works like a charm. And I can post screenies of the difference in the VATS if you like, though, in all honesty the improvement may not be readily apparent in stills as the blur effect is different primarily in the zooming (I looked at this several times)

As far as memory leaks, something is causing them, and they are only apparent after fallout crashes due to VATs issues. Not confirmed, but a definite issue that points at the VATs. I've only used this for a day, but so far, I've had no issues with crashes due to VATs.
Sierra Ritsuka

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:59 am

well, i have been testing aroung and so far so good...
but i have one very annoying problem..
the title music is following me into the game...
i installed f3 from 0, and updated only to 1.0.0.15..
so i guess the problem is that i havent redate the f3 esm...
but what date should i change? (created? modificated? last access? all of them?) and to what values?

PD: on another subjetc, only to confirme, that anchorage and the pitt dlc's, only work for me, with fose...
Jenna Fields

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:00 am

well, i have been testing aroung and so far so good...
but i have one very annoying problem..
the title music is following me into the game...
i installed f3 from 0, and updated only to 1.0.0.15..
so i guess the problem is that i havent redate the f3 esm...
but what date should i change? (created? modificated? last access? all of them?) and to what values?

PD: on another subjetc, only to confirme, that anchorage and the pitt dlc's, only work for me, with fose...
I usually change all of them to 04-20-1980 @ 04:20:42AM, but you don't have to go back that far as that's just a personal convention. It seems like it's the date created attribute that determines load order, but I'd just go ahead and change them all.

I've had the title music follow me in only a few times, and turning some radio music on/off makes the game's music reset or you can restart.

As for FOSE being absolutely necessary for DLC's, go figure disabling GFWL would be a needed part of playing GFWL content. Better to have VATS and no achievements carp than the other way around. Still, I seem to be able to play both with and without FOSE...
Taylor Tifany

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:38 pm

I seem to have pin pointed the issue causing the Ammo Press to not work. Disabling all mods(except for fake patch) did not fix the problem. However, patching the game to the current version and disabling the fakepatch seems to have done the trick.

It seems that what is happening is that the script that specifies when to show you the Ammo Production option in the terminal, is broken by the fact that the game cannot detect what is in the material box. when i tried making a small mod that made the ammo production menu show up regardless of whats in the material box, it was unable to calculate the ammo inside and when i pressed the ammo, nothing happened (and i had plenty of materials in the box).

is there something in the 1.4.0.6 exe that enables this function to work as designed? or possibly something in the esm? because after all the testing ive done, the only thing that makes this happen is when i have the fake patch installed and im not fully patched up to 1.4.0.6
Rob Davidson

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:24 am

It seems that what is happening is that the script that specifies when to show you the Ammo Production option in the terminal, is broken by the fact that the game cannot detect what is in the material box. when i tried making a small mod that made the ammo production menu show up regardless of whats in the material box, it was unable to calculate the ammo inside and when i pressed the ammo, nothing happened (and i had plenty of materials in the box).

is there something in the 1.4.0.6 exe that enables this function to work as designed? or possibly something in the esm? because after all the testing ive done, the only thing that makes this happen is when i have the fake patch installed and im not fully patched up to 1.4.0.6

That's somewhat interesting. Ammo Press works fine in my game setup (1.0.0.15 exe + 1.4.0.6 esm).
Ladymorphine

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:14 am

That's somewhat interesting. Ammo Press works fine in my game setup (1.0.0.15 exe + 1.4.0.6 esm).
I'm fairly certain I got everything that had changed from the 1.0.0.15 to 1.4.0.6 .esm's, but there might be some stuff that doesn't show in FO3Edit/Geck that isn't present using a matching 1.0.0.15 .esm. Maybe using a 1.4 .esm is neede for The Pitt... If that press is working still using a 1.0.0.15 .exe, than it must be something in the .esm, but what? I can't wait until this whole mess is taken care of by a proper patch. -_-
Ellie English

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:22 am

hrmm, that makes me even more frustrated. I'm not really trying to trade my vats for the ammo press.

by 1.4.0.6 esm, your referring to the one supplied by the fake patch right? or are you literally using a 1.4.0.6 version of the fallout3.esm?

Bethesda needs to seriously pick up the ball on this VATS issue. Gameplay seems to be so much smoother with this fake patch but there are just little things like the Ammo Press that get messed up.

Ill keep trying things, maybe there is another factor that I'm just not seeing, but from what I've done I'm pretty positive it was the fake patch(or rather, not having the new patch) that is causing this.
Richard

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:19 pm

Is there any achievement involved with the ammo press? The script associated with it may be failing because of a line involving an achievement...

I wouldn't know since I subscribe to the http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=258 take on "Achievements".

...And because I haven't bought The Pitt yet because VATS still isn't officially fixed...
GLOW...

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 am

Ammo press works fine for me. Are you playing with G4WL or without (ie ThePitt.esm in your data folder rather than the G4WL folder)?
Euan

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 am

by 1.4.0.6 esm, your referring to the one supplied by the fake patch right? or are you literally using a 1.4.0.6 version of the fallout3.esm?

Nope. I updated my game from 1.0.0.12 (DVD retail) to 1.0.0.15 then to 1.4.0.6 and only replaced the exe with 1.0.0.15's.

Is there any achievement involved with the ammo press? The script associated with it may be failing because of a line involving an achievement...

AFAIK, there's no achievement about the ammo press.
John Moore

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:16 am

Nope. I updated my game from 1.0.0.12 (DVD retail) to 1.0.0.15 then to 1.4.0.6 and only replaced the exe with 1.0.0.15's.

AFAIK, there's no achievement about the ammo press.

ill probably try your method next. so your not actually using the "fake patch" but instead your own method similar to JustinOther's? good to know.

thanks for the info
Ann Church

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3