George Lucas Quits BlockbustersStar Wars

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 3:04 am

Let the franchise die already. George has done enough damage. Unless someone else can step up and give the fans what they want. Who would that be is the question.
lilmissparty

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:18 pm

As for why the Empire is evil, did you miss the whole part where Palpatine staged an invasion on his home planet of Naboo, killing thousands of his own people, so he could become Supreme Chancellor? Or where he staged the whole Clone War, killing millions and sending the galaxy into chaos, just so he could gain even more power? And the part where he destroys an entire planet just to get Leia to tell them where the rebel base is?

As for the title "Star Warsssss", there are at least three wars in the series -- the invasion of Naboo, the Clone War, and then the Empire vs. the Rebels.
Katie Pollard

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:36 am

As for why the Empire is evil, did you miss the whole part where Palpatine staged an invasion on his home planet of Naboo, killing thousands of his own people, so he could become Supreme Chancellor? Or where he staged the whole Clone War, killing millions and sending the galaxy into chaos, just so he could gain even more power? And the part where he destroys an entire planet just to get Leia to tell them where the rebel base is?

As for the title "Star Warsssss", there are at least three wars in the series -- the invasion of Naboo, the Clone War, and then the Empire vs. the Rebels.
This is pretty relevant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KBEEJQEW3o

Edit
Hahaha, oh my god. Some choice comments on a Red Tails review.

Commentator1: FAN RAGE!
Commentator2: what does that sound like any way? you set your self to high and turn on oscillating?
kyle pinchen

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 3:34 am

Nooooooooooooooo........ I've been hoping for VII, VIII and IX.....Or a trilogy based on the KOTOR / TOR era. Bah.

See: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thrawn_Trilogy

My favorite parts of the SW universe are all outside the realm of the movies anyways.

Also, on the morality of The Empire: Yeah, Palpy's Empire svcked. Only allowing you and Vader to wield lightsabers and The Force? The [censored] man? That kind of defeats the purpose of The Sith, and their idea of the strong prevailing. You are supposed to give the lower beings a chance to gain power that way you know if they have a chance to prove their worth by overthrowing you. If a Dark Lord is weak enough to be killed by his Apprentice, he doesn't deserve to be a Dark Lord. But the ones before his were absolutely glorious. Of course all this lore was established after the main trilogy, but I digress. Anyways, the expanded universe is 10000 times better than the movies. The events in the movies are probably the most dull thing in the SW universe.

I don't really understand the hang ups with non near-human enslavement, I meanhttp://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bith at this thing. Is your first thought not to put it in some kind of mine were nobody will ever have to see it or to force it to play some funky [censored]? Following Sith philosophy, if these, erm, things hated being slaves so much, they would gain power to rise up and slaughter their masters. Yeah yeah, its hard to slaughter your masters when they are star system dominating space wizards, but still.

Of course people can be corrupted by the Dark Side, but that's only if their will is to weak to control it. Then there is the whole hate thing. Again, being a Sith just means using your passion. It doesn't have to be hatred, that's just what a lot of them choose.

/rant
Nancy RIP

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 10:55 am

See: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thrawn_Trilogy My favorite parts of the SW universe are all outside the realm of the movies anyways.

Also, on the morality of The Empire: Yeah, Palpy's Empire svcked. Only allowing you and Vader to wield lightsabers and The Force? The [censored] man? That kind of defeats the purpose of The Sith, and their idea of the strong prevailing. You are supposed to give the lower beings a chance to gain power that way you know if they have a chance to prove their worth by overthrowing you. If a Dark Lord is weak enough to be killed by his Apprentice, he doesn't deserve to be a Dark Lord. But the ones before his were absolutely glorious. Of course all this lore was established after the main trilogy, but I digress. Anyways, the expanded universe is 10000 times better than the movies. The events in the movies are probably the most dull thing in the SW universe.

I don't really understand the hang ups with non near-human enslavement, I meanhttp://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bith at this thing. Is your first thought not to put it in some kind of mine were nobody will ever have to see it or to force it to play some funky [censored]? Following Sith philosophy, if these, erm, things hated being slaves so much, they would gain power to rise up and slaughter their masters. Yeah yeah, its hard to slaughter your masters when they are star system dominating space wizards, but still.

Of course people can be corrupted by the Dark Side, but that's only if their will is to weak to control it. Then there is the whole hate thing. Again, being a Sith just means using your passion. It doesn't have to be hatred, that's just what a lot of them choose.

/rant
I agree that some of the stories in the Expanded Universe are better then the movies, but I'm going to have argue a point that you made.

The reason why Palpatine and Vader are the only two Sith in the Empire is because of the Rule of Two that was remade 1000 years before by Darth Bane. "Two there shall be, no more, no less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it." This was perfectly embodied by Darth bane as he orchestrated the destruction of the weak and puppet Sith Empire that came before. The Rule of Two states that there will only be one master and one apprentice. The only thing that will prove the worthiness of the apprentice and will allow s/he to attain the rank of master is when the apprentice kills his/her master. This keeps the Sith bloodline strong. Bane saw the Sith Empire that came before as merely a bastardized version of the Jedi. The many Sith that made up this empire were individually weak and when one became too powerful he was inevitably brought down by the combined efforts of many weaker Sith, thus keeping the bloodline itself weak.

In the Rule of Two when an apprentice kills a master, the apprentice has proven that the master had grown weak and was no longer worthy of his title. If the apprentice failed and was killed, the master would have proven that the apprentice was not worthy of becoming the master and the training process would start again. This was actually why Darth Vader was continuing the Sith line and became a master when he killed Palpatine. The slight disadvantage of the Rule of Two is the fact that there were only two Sith, but that is thinking like a Jedi. The real weapons of the Sith are treachery, corruption, building up resources, covertly gaining influence and gently pushing the first domino that eventually lead to the Galactic Empire.

I do admit that Palpatine and Vader are much weaker then Darth Bane and Darth Zannah. The real problem was when Palpatine chose Anakin Skywalker as his knew apprentice. Darth Maul was the only apprentice he had that had the potential of becoming a great Sith Lord. Skywalker and Dooku both had the disadvantage of decades of Jedi teachings which is never a good starting place for a Sith Lord.

/Nerd Rant
sexy zara

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 4:33 am

I agree that some of the stories in the Expanded Universe are better then the movies, but I'm going to have argue a point that you made.

The reason why Palpatine and Vader are the only two Sith in the Empire is because of the Rule of Two that was remade 1000 years before by Darth Bane. "Two there shall be, no more, no less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it." This was perfectly embodied by Darth bane as he orchestrated the destruction of the weak and puppet Sith Empire that came before. The Rule of Two states that there will only be one master and one apprentice. The only thing that will prove the worthiness of the apprentice and will allow s/he to attain the rank of master is when the apprentice kills his/her master. This keeps the Sith bloodline strong. Bane saw the Sith Empire that came before as merely a bastardized version of the Jedi. The many Sith that made up this empire were individually weak and when one became too powerful he was inevitably brought down by the combined efforts of many weaker Sith, thus keeping the bloodline itself weak.

In the Rule of Two when an apprentice kills a master, the apprentice has proven that the master had grown weak and was no longer worthy of his title. If the apprentice failed and was killed, the master would have proven that the apprentice was not worthy of becoming the master and the training process would start again. This was actually why Darth Vader was continuing the Sith line and became a master when he killed Palpatine. The slight disadvantage of the Rule of Two is the fact that there were only two Sith, but that is thinking like a Jedi. The real weapons of the Sith are treachery, corruption, building up resources, covertly gaining influence and gently pushing the first domino that eventually lead to the Galactic Empire.

I do admit that Palpatine and Vader are much weaker then Darth Bane and Darth Zannah. The real problem was when Palpatine chose Anakin Skywalker as his knew apprentice. Darth Maul was the only apprentice he had that had the potential of becoming a great Sith Lord. Skywalker and Dooku both had the disadvantage of decades of Jedi teachings which is never a good starting place for a Sith Lord.

/Nerd Rant

I'm aware of The Rule of Two, but it says that there can only be two Sith. When the Rule of Two was first put into place there was still an academy where Dark Jedi were being trained. Palpy made sure that only he and Vader were allowed to use their powers, which really kind of [censored]s the whole system if you ask me. To be honest I just never really liked Palpy as a character at all, underhanded diplomacy and tricky politics are not nearly as Sith as outright conquest. He almost feels more like a corrupt Republic politician than a Dark Lord.
Tamika Jett

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 10:44 am

I can't be the only one who doesn't care about this news, can I?

SW 1, 2 and 3, and IJ4 were pretty terrible, but it makes no difference to me whether he continues to make blockbusters or not.
Mashystar

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:38 am

Sort of thing Todd Howard should try - stop appealing to the masses and go back to making something meaningful.
Laura Ellaby

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 9:51 am

I'm aware of The Rule of Two, but it says that there can only be two Sith. When the Rule of Two was first put into place there was still an academy where Dark Jedi were being trained. Palpy made sure that only he and Vader were allowed to use their powers, which really kind of [censored]s the whole system if you ask me. To be honest I just never really liked Palpy as a character at all, underhanded diplomacy and tricky politics are not nearly as Sith as outright conquest. He almost feels more like a corrupt Republic politician than a Dark Lord.
Actually what Palpatine did was very Sith like and was brilliantly orchestrated. I'm not sure about the dark Jedi, but the Sith Academies were destroyed and disbanded with the Brotherhood of Darkness. The Sith have been doing outright conquest of the entire galaxy for thousands of years and the biggest blow that I can remember them achieving was when they destroyed the Jedi Temple on Coruscant over 3500 years before the Battle of Yavin.(There may have been something bigger then this, but I can't remember it)

The Sith who followed the Rule of Two managed to accomplish more in 1000 years through deceit, corruption and the covert spread of influence, then the bastardized version of the Jedi Order has done through open war and conquest in over 5000 years.
Tanya

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Actually what Palpatine did was very Sith like and was brilliantly orchestrated. I'm not sure about the dark Jedi, but the Sith Academies were destroyed and disbanded with the Brotherhood of Darkness. The Sith have been doing outright conquest of the entire galaxy for thousands of years and the biggest blow that I can remember them achieving was when they destroyed the Jedi Temple on Coruscant over 3500 years before the Battle of Yavin.(There may have been something bigger then this, but I can't remember it)

The Sith who followed the Rule of Two managed to accomplish more in 1000 years through deceit, corruption and the covert spread of influence, then the bastardized version of the Jedi Order has done through open war and conquest in over 5000 years.

Let me rephrase that, Ancient Sith-like. When I say Sith I'm referring more to the ideals of the Sith species and the original Dark Jedi Exiles. When I think Dark Lords, Feedon Nadd, Naga Sadow and Marka Ragnos are who come to mind. I know that philosophy always ended up putting them on the losing side, but I just find it easier to respect taking over things by exerting your raw power on them, rather than being all sneaky-like.
Alyna

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:58 am

After watching the infamous pizza roll reviews of Episode 1 through III I decided that Lucas wasn't even responsible for half of the stuff that made the original trilogies good in the first place.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19576_6-pop-culture-visionaries-who-get-too-much-credit.html
Richard Dixon

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 6:39 am

Good he's still willing to ruin Indiana Jones a little more first though.

Sort of thing Todd Howard should try - stop appealing to the masses and go back to making something meaningful.

Innit though?
TASTY TRACY

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:37 am

Innit though?

Innit.
Adrian Powers

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:27 am

You go, George. I hope that Red Tails is a sucess of monstrous proportions, and that it paves the way for artists to bypass the greedy middlemen of the film and music industry.
As for Star Wars, enjoyed them, changes don't make much difference to me, because we have copies of both altered and unaltered.
Gemma Woods Illustration

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Speaking of Star Wars, anybody enjoy The Force Unleashed? I thought it had a decent story. Definitely helped bridge the gaps between episodes 3 and 4
Lily

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 9:09 pm

I never liked Star Wars, but I hated him with such passion for what he had done to Indiana Jones.
Mimi BC

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 9:34 am

It's about time. He hit a grand slam with the original Star Wars trilogy, but screwed up royally with the prequels and insisted on changing the originals.

Now that I know Red Tails is one of his movies I'm not so interested in going to see it. It's going to get the "Lucas treatment" which means ridiculous action and CGI sequences. He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is, or at least hasn't been in decades.

Let the franchise die already. George has done enough damage. Unless someone else can step up and give the fans what they want. Who would that be is the question.

Ridley Scott? I really enjoyed Gladiator and Kingdom Of Heaven and would love Star Wars to get that kind of serious treatment. It's in desperate need of it.
[ becca ]

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 11:06 am

I like the various Star Wars films well enough (Trilogy and prequels), but I never obsessed over them or Lucas like so many people my age did. Didn't feel they were that good. To be honest, I liked American Graffiti as much as them. As for Lucas and his ego, I saw him on a morning news program last week being interviewed by Charlie Rose. He claimed he was raised in San Francisco to explain his political leanings. No you weren't George. You were born and raised 80 miles east of there in the Central Valley town of MODESTO. Get over yourself.
Channing

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:45 am

Let me rephrase that, Ancient Sith-like. When I say Sith I'm referring more to the ideals of the Sith species and the original Dark Jedi Exiles. When I think Dark Lords, Feedon Nadd, Naga Sadow and Marka Ragnos are who come to mind. I know that philosophy always ended up putting them on the losing side, but I just find it easier to respect taking over things by exerting your raw power on them, rather than being all sneaky-like.
Okay. I personally preferred reading about the time of Darth Bane and Darth Zannah. The Darth Bane novels are probably my favourites in the Expanded Universe.
Speaking of Star Wars, anybody enjoy The Force Unleashed? I thought it had a decent story. Definitely helped bridge the gaps between episodes 3 and 4
I loved The Force Unleashed. I had a PS2 before my Xbox 360 so of course I had played God of War 1 and 2. The Force Unleashed was God of War on the Xbox 360 for me, but set in Star Wars. :banana:
maria Dwyer

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 6:31 am

What about the Jar Jar Binks adventure animated trilogy?!
dean Cutler

Previous

Return to Othor Games