George Lucas Quits BlockbustersStar Wars

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 5:11 am

This makes me so happy! Time for the required link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

I don't know... I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_VheAwZBuQ&list=FLQF31HVqA3ob3gofga4_RJQ&index=23&feature=plpp_video is more appropriate, :D
Kahli St Dennis

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Star Wars fans needn't panic, meanwhile, as all six films in the space-opera saga are http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11434545 over the next few years.

:facepalm:
Rachell Katherine

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:00 pm

:facepalm:
Are there even any 3D scenes in Star Wars? In the originals theres only about twelve spaceship scenes.
Brentleah Jeffs

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 5:56 am

It isn't really explained why the Empire was a bad thing. From what you tell me it was better to have one leader control the galaxy then for the galaxy to plung into countless wars.
This is a thing I'm confused by too. Why is the Galactic Empire evil exactly?
"I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire!" ―Darth Vader
And the rebels want to get rid of this man?
STEVI INQUE

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:26 am

Also why is it called Star Wars? War with an s at the end means more than one war. Yet the whole thing is just one war and not even much of one. Its the Galactic Empire vs Rebels.

Then there is Clone Wars. Samething, its the republic vs the separatists. Again only one war. Unless they are talking about the battles that take place on different planets, but those are battles within the war, not wars themselves.
Richard Dixon

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:14 am

Are there even any 3D scenes in Star Wars? In the originals theres only about twelve spaceship scenes.

You mean the computer generated stuff? Aside from the space battles there's a bunch of random creatures on Tatooine, a few robots here and there. There are techniques to add fake 3D to non-CG stuff but it doesn't look very good. In this case it wouldn't surprise me if they redid everything in CG then took the 3D stuff from that and overlayed it onto the original. Ofcourse that's a super-expensive process to do something super-unnecessary, which sounds exactly like something George Lucas would do.

Also this 3D fad needs to die. Like now.
Amy Smith

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:29 pm

3D pops up every 30 years or so. It was popular in th 50s, 80s and now 2010 onwards. Its like tuberculosis. Every 30 years we need to stamp down on it with antibiotics and get rid of it again.

Why yes that is a line from Dara O'briains comedy...
Sabrina Steige

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:51 am

You mean the computer generated stuff? Aside from the space battles there's a bunch of random creatures on Tatooine, a few robots here and there. There are techniques to add fake 3D to non-CG stuff but it doesn't look very good. In this case it wouldn't surprise me if they redid everything in CG then took the 3D stuff from that and overlayed it onto the original. Ofcourse that's a super-expensive process to do something super-unnecessary, which sounds exactly like something George Lucas would do.

In Avatar the whole Jungle theme almost justified the 3D, but I meant the fact that there really isn't anything in the original trilogy that would look all that interesting in 3D other than the space battles. It's exactly like colouring Casablance or drawing Groucho Glasses on Han Solo.
WTW

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 3:20 am

Red Tails looks good. Though being a minority probably means my perception might be skewed for it though. As long as it's entertaining and better than that god aweful WWI fighte rplane movie which was all about the romance. Though I was going into an aciton flick on that one. :(
Lynne Hinton

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:12 am

This is a thing I'm confused by too. Why is the Galactic Empire evil exactly?
"I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire!" ―Darth Vader
And the rebels want to get rid of this man?

I fully agree. The Empire doesn't seem to be that bad. Sure they killed the Jedi, but what else are they doing that's bad? The jedi seem to be the ones that want chaos. For the Empire to fall apart and turn on itself. Countless war throughout the galaxy. Killing the Emperor wouldn't bring back the Republic. And from what Gamgee tells us, the Galaxy falls into total chaos once the Emperor is killed.
Anna Beattie

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:17 am

Well, that svcks. George Lucas is awesome.
Vicki Gunn

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:06 pm

I fully agree. The Empire doesn't seem to be that bad. Sure they killed the Jedi, but what else are they doing that's bad? The jedi seem to be the ones that want chaos. For the Empire to fall apart and turn on itself. Countless war throughout the galaxy. Killing the Emperor wouldn't bring back the Republic. And from what Gamgee tells us, the Galaxy falls into total chaos once the Emperor is killed.
The planets celebrating at the end of Return of the Jedi was the one edit that improved the series, it actually made it look like the Rebels weren't the sci-fi Al Qaeda
Hazel Sian ogden

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 4:40 am

Will Lucasfilm at least release the rest of the movies in 3D? I don't care if Greedo shoots first, so long as I get the opportunity to show watch the movies on the big screen in costume.
Julie Ann

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 10:09 am

Sure they killed the Jedi, but what else are they doing that's bad?

You mean apart from denying its citizens basic civil rights, treating non-humans as second class citizens, brutally repressing the slightest hint of dissent, and dressing its officers in Nazi uniforms?
Vicky Keeler

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 4:42 am

The planets celebrating at the end of Return of the Jedi was the one edit that improved the series, it actually made it look like the Rebels weren't the sci-fi Al Qaeda

They would celebrate for a day or two and then tens of thousands of Battleships and countless storm troopers would rain down on them for openly rebelling.
jessica sonny

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:43 pm

In Avatar the whole Jungle theme almost justified the 3D, but I meant the fact that there really isn't anything in the original trilogy that would look all that interesting in 3D other than the space battles. It's exactly like colouring Casablance or drawing Groucho Glasses on Han Solo.

Well it works in a few cases like when a movie is done completely in CG. I saw Beowulf in 3D in theaters and it was amazing. But I wouldn't want to have to go through that every time I see a movie. The novelty wears off pretty fast. It's something that really needs to be done sparringly and it needs to stay in theaters where it belongs.
Danny Warner

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:25 pm

You mean apart from denying its citizens basic civil rights, treating non-humans as second class citizens, brutally repressing the slightest hint of dissent, and dressing its officers in Nazi uniforms?

And what movies were you watching? I didn't see Nazi like storm troopers gunning down aliens. Things looked fine to me. The Emperor just sat back and let things run their course.

And as I pointed out. Killing the Emperor didn't fix things. Someone else would take his place. The Republic didn't magically comeback once the Emperor was killed.
George PUluse

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 6:45 am

3D pops up every 30 years or so. It was popular in th 50s, 80s and now 2010 onwards. Its like tuberculosis. Every 30 years we need to stamp down on it with antibiotics and get rid of it again.
But sooner or later it'll become resistant to antibiotics :tongue:
Emmie Cate

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:33 pm

And what movies were you watching? I didn't see Nazi like storm troopers gunning down aliens. Things looked fine to me. The Emperor just sat back and let things run their course.
Any Empire whose empire says things like your hate has made you powerful is suspect in my opinion.
Jordan Fletcher

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:36 am

Styles........

....stop splitting hairs.
Roberto Gaeta

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:37 am

So if he was so damn powerful... Why was there rebels? Why couldn't he influence them? Did he believe he could live forever? Could he live forever?

You also said that was from a book right? Should have put that into a movie. It isn't really explained why the Empire was a bad thing. From what you tell me it was better to have one leader control the galaxy then for the galaxy to plung into countless wars.

Edit: Also if he was that powerful and some how couldn't control the rebels. Why didn't he just use the force to hunt them down and kill them. A whole Galaxy under his control and he couldn't stop a little rebellion?
Vast and powerful though he was, he also knew of the one person stronger than himself. At least with his advanced age, the perosn who was stronger than him. Vader's son, to blindly put himself out in the galaxy only opene dup the opportunity for SKywalker to kill him. Though as we see, it was quite in vain. He couldn't live forever, he clones himself many times though, but due to a defect in the force or the device. Or something, his life got shorter and shorter with each clone. He killed his master who did in fact discover immortality, a foolish thing to do. But he was prideful, and thought he could just as easily learn such a technique. He DID influence the rebels, why do you think so little planets rebelled. Think of how many people are on each planet, how many planets there are. The Empire is limitless, but it draws on those planets. Living during that time was probably litteraly a depressing affair with him alive. The people who rebelled are the ones for various reasons to have stronger willpower, or perhaps he wasn't omipitent enough to get everyone under his influence. Not to mention there ar eother emotions, he was a tyrant that killed many innocents. It's possible to shake his influence off. Oh the wars and stuff was only because of his corrupt system which was biased against non humans and encouraged internal politics to backstab each other. He didn't want anyone to come after him, so his own lessons backfired once he was gone. He created a litteral cult of personality. Despite hsi vast powers, he can't mind read the entire galaxy. So hunting for them would have to be done in person. Given his advanced age, it would take perhaps hundreds of years to visit every planet. Even for just a second. Not exactly efficient. Star Wars galaxy is gigantic.
daniel royle

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 9:16 am

Any Empire whose empire says things like your hate has made you powerful is suspect in my opinion.

But they are dead. All but Luke Skywalker, and I doubt even he could take on a whole Galaxy of pissed off storm troopers.
brandon frier

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 am

The republic slowly did come back after he was killed. It was almost destroyed several times, but in the end they managed to secure victory. Its too many countless tales, books, and comics for me to go into detail. but the sheer volume of litterature form that era assures me a great deal of people worked to bring it back. Not just spring back magically, like you say. A two hour movie is only so long, we can't follow series upon series of characters all doing things adding up to the collapse of the Empire. Would litteraly be an eternity worth of stories, by any human standards. When I say the Star Wars fandom is huge, I mean it.
Jaylene Brower

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:24 pm

But they are dead. All but Luke Skywalker, and I doubt even he could take on a whole Galaxy of pissed off storm troopers.
Thrawn tried that from memory, and Luke restarted a Jedi academy.
LuCY sCoTT

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:12 am

Shame. Though I loved the old skool Clone Wars series, that 2-dish series was awesome. I don't like the new one at all. Can't say I am surprised with Lucas' reaction, though he never should have made episode I the way it was, the only good part of espisode II was the actual clone war, and I liked episode III. The original trilogy was incredble.

But why make a 5th Indiana Jones movie? :facepalm:
Laura Mclean

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games