George Lucas Quits BlockbustersStar Wars

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:13 am

Well, Darth Lucas http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jan/18/george-lucas-abandon-blockbusters-star-wars

The creator of http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/starwars, http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/georgelucas, has said he is to retire from commercial film-making in order to return to the experimental fare that marked the early years of his career.
In an https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login?URI=/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html&OQ=_rQ3D5Q26pagewantedQ3D1&REFUSE_COOKIE_ERROR=SHOW_ERROR (paywall) to mark the arrival in US cinemas of second world war drama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA6TC0T_Lw, his long-gestating passion project, Lucas promised to make no new Star Wars films, citing negative reaction from fans of the series to his recent efforts.
"I'm retiring," Lucas said. "I'm moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff." However, he said he would not rule out making a fifth Indiana Jones film before bringing his commercial career to a close.
The film-maker's longtime producing partner at Lucasfilm, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0564768/, confirmed: "Red Tails will be the last blockbuster Lucas makes. Once this is finished, he's done everything he's ever wanted to do. He will have completed his task as a man and a film-maker."
The NY Times reports that Lucas will return to arthouse material such as the science-fiction film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066434/, his longform debut, conceived when he was still a student at the University of Southern California. Just six years later, Lucas released the http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/movie/106404/star-wars-episode-iv and found himself working at the commercial forefront of Hollywood as the pioneer of a new era in blockbuster film-making.
Red Tails, which Lucas has funded with $58m of his own money after major studios refused to back it, is the story of the Tuskegee airmen, a squadron of untested African American pilots who won nearly 100 http://dfcsociety.net/medal.asp/ during the second world war. The film is directed by The Wire's http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0376006/ and stars Cuba Gooding Jr, Terrence Howard and David Oyelowo.
Lucas, on board as producer, told the Times he was disgusted by the reaction from studios when he tried to secure funding. Last week he claimed during an interview with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show that racial issues were to blame for Hollywood's lack of interest. "It's because it's an all-black movie," he said. "There's no major white roles at all. It's one of the first all-black action pictures ever made."
The 67-year-old film-maker refused to apologise for making changes to his original Star Wars films through the addition of computer-generated imagery which many fans of the movies felt jarred with the more naturalistic look of the trilogy.
"On the internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie. I'm saying: 'Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.'"
"Why would I make any more," Lucas says, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"
Lucas also addressed widespread disbelief towards a scene in 2008's poorly received fourth Indiana Jones film, http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/movie/124168/indiana.jones.and.the.kingdom.of.the.crystal.skull, which saw the intrepid archeologist surviving a nuclear bomb test by hiding in a fridge and resulted in the term "nuke the fridge" entering the film-making lexicon as shorthand for a creative blunder.
The movie's director, Steven Spielberg, said he was responsible for the scene in an interview with Empire magazine last year, but Lucas said his friend was "just trying to protect me". He defended the scene's legitimacy, suggesting that "the odds of surviving that refrigerator – from a lot of scientists – are about 50-50."
In declaring his imminent retirement, Lucas joins fellow film-maker Steven Soderbergh, who http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/aug/31/steven-soderbergh-retire-director to focus on painting, then http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14779398. Soderbergh's latest film, action thriller http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/movie/142928/haywire, arrives in UK cinemas this week.
Star Wars fans needn't panic, meanwhile, as all six films in the space-opera saga are http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11434545 over the next few years.

Frankly the man has enourmous ego problems in my opinion. He was living and breathing Star Wars for so long it consumed his life to the point where he couldn't handle any criticism of his Star Wars. Sorry Georgie, as a move producer, you have to accept some people wont like the changes and decisions you make.
Nymph

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Nooooooooooooooo........ I've been hoping for VII, VIII and IX.....Or a trilogy based on the KOTOR / TOR era. Bah.
Hannah Barnard

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 11:42 am

Revenge of the Sith didn't get that bashed, and if he is really chucking a tantrum about the Clone Wars kids series not being hailed as the Citizen Kane of the small screen then I will have lost what little respect I had for him.

I guess he'll just re-release Star Wars for $30 again with a moustache drawn on Luke.
Peter lopez

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 5:59 am

Oh my god as if the Star Wars films havn't been messed with (I wish I could use stronger language) enough now they have to endure a terrible 3D Conversion?! LUCASSSSS!!!
Jessie

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 11:13 pm

However, he said he would not rule out making a fifth Indiana Jones film before bringing his commercial career to a close.

Please God no.
celebrity

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 6:14 am

This makes me so happy! Time for the required link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
WYatt REed

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:03 pm

People wouldn't complain if he just offered the original films along with his "updated" versions. Messing with nostalgia tends to make people irate. :P
Dina Boudreau

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:12 am

[/font]

Please God no.
That's funny. The episode of South Park about the latest Indiana Jones movie was just on. I hope to god it doesn't either. Poor Indy. :P
Tammie Flint

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 5:13 am

I don't have a problem with Lucas making changes to his films (nor do I dislike the prequels). They're his work, his vision, and he can do whatever he wants to them. I just wish he'd stop being so stubborn and appease fans by giving the theatrical releases the same attention he's shown his altered visions. Do that and everyone's happy.

I'd also like to see another significant Star Wars film project from him, regardless of his fans' rage at the prequels/OT changes.
Ludivine Poussineau

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 4:27 am

Just as long as he reedits them to include things not possible... Remakes to crank out
djimi

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:15 am

Glad he's done making movies. Jar Jar Binks, enough said.
Guy Pearce

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 11:41 pm

People wouldn't complain if he just offered the original films along with his "updated" versions. Messing with nostalgia tends to make people irate. :tongue:
Yeah exactly. I'm sure if he released the original trilogy on blu-ray completely unedited, just looking good in HD people would be very happy.
phil walsh

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 8:53 pm

i actually liked the prequels, meh maybe its a generational thing. I would rather see a kotor film though, that part of the "star wars story" is way more interesting to me. All those jedi and sith, probably my favorite part
helen buchan

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:49 am

Shame. I'd make more Star Wars films just to troll the haters. And add 10 more Jar Jar Binks.
Daddy Cool!

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 9:08 pm

I didn't know they were his movies.

I could have sworn that the legions of children and young men and women who paid to go see those movies back in the day, then bought the trilogy on VHS....then saw the prequels....then bought the originals on DVD.....then bought the prequels on Blu Ray paid their dues in order for it to be called thier movie as well.

If I make a hamburger, I don't give it to someone and half way through go "IT'S MINE!", take it, and then change the dressing and put crap on it.
Life long Observer

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:42 am

I didn't know they were his movies.

I could have sworn that the legions of children and young men and women who paid to go see those movies back in the day, then bought the trilogy on VHS....then saw the prequels....then bought the originals on DVD.....then bought the prequels on Blu Ray paid their dues in order for it to be called thier movie as well.

That's not really how that works.

If I make a hamburger, I don't give it to someone and half way through go "IT'S MINE!", take it, and then change the dressing and put crap on it.

And that's not quite the same thing.
Johnny

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 11:12 pm

"I was born in 1972, I saw Star Wars in 1977. I saw Empire Strikes Back, when it came out. I was just young enough to think the ewoks were awesome. We played the cantina music at my wedding. I stood in line for 18 hours to see The Phantom Menace playing Magic the gathering the entire time as I waited. Star Wars is dead to me." -Wil Wheaton at GenCon 2010
Ludivine Poussineau

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:19 am

That's not really how that works.

And that's not quite the same thing.

I know, but that man really gets under my skin.
Quick draw II

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 11:45 am

:ahhh: OMG OMG I don't know how to feel OMG OMG :ahhh: !!!!

Frankly it's HIS fault, he messed up the Star Wars lore with those accursed prequeals (no body likes Jar-Jar, Padme and Anakin love was forced and didn't make since, to CGI heavy, people sitting on couch, long boring talk scenes and over use of the Light Saber and more). He's no longer an ideal driven director that he was, he's a producer. I'm glad he's steping down, I'd be more bummed about it but after watching Star Wars 1-3 and read Shadow Moon---he should just produce movies and let some other young ideal drivin director take his place.
herrade

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:16 am

Episode 3 wasn't too bad. One had some good fights. Two is... eww. The clone wars series is terrible, it lacks anything bad happening in an alleged war. Good guys always win, total joke. At the rate they're winning battles you have to wonder what the hell consintutes a war in that universe.
Emma Copeland

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 10:58 am

I never really cared much for his work anyway. Star Wars and Indiana Jones, were always just "meh" to me. Lazy/bored weekend watching shows.
Dan Stevens

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 4:52 am

Good, but I'm not looking forward to that fifth Indiana Jones movie...
Mylizards Dot com

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:58 am

The Star Wars movies never made much sense to me. The Empire builds the Death Star but it conveniently has a "shoot here to win the game" spot on it. Then the Death Star is being rebuilt or fixed? I am not really sure about that, looked pretty destroyed the first time. Anyways they destroy it again and everyone is like "The Empire is gone forever!" But the Empire controls the entire Galaxy and has tens of thousands of battleships and countless troops. So how was the Empire defeated again? Sure you got the leader, but someone else would take his place.
Nicholas

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 5:46 am

The Star Wars movies never made much sense to me. The Empire builds the Death Star but it conveniently has a "shoot here to win the game" spot on it. Then the Death Star is being rebuilt or fixed? I am not really sure about that, looked pretty destroyed the first time. Anyways they destroy it again and everyone is like "The Empire is gone forever!" But the Empire controls the entire Galaxy and has tens of thousands of battleships and countless troops. So how was the Empire defeated again? Sure you got the leader, but someone else would take is place.
He constructed a brand new one. If you read the books he was so powerful in the force he litteraly influenced the galaxy. Which explains why an empire that large ruled by a dictator didn't try and userp him too often. He was litteraly influencing them towards his own wills. Not direct mind control, but enough to stabalize a lot of issues. When he died it caused the equivalent of a morale loss. It could be felt accross the Empire, somehow they all knew he was dead. The sudden shock of not having a leader after so long made them not exactly think so well. It didn't take much for it to freacture as various Officers of battleships tried to make their own Empires, or take conttrol of the Empire itself. Not to mention with Imperial rule shattered numerous planets rebelled and joined the Alliance almost simultaneously and instantaneously. Basically, [censored] hit the fan.

Given Palpatine was one of the strongest force users in the galaxy, I find it a plausible theory. He's th eonly one that we've seen witht eh power to do something on that scale. Obviously this canon could be changed with new books, it's often shifting, But fo rnow, that's the explanation. Has been for at least five or six years too.
Rik Douglas

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 9:44 am

He constructed a brand new one. If you read the books he was so powerful in the force he litteraly influenced the galaxy. Which explains why an empire that large ruled by a dictator didn't try and userp him too often. He was litteraly influencing them towards his own wills. Not direct mind control, but enough to stabalize a lot of issues. When he died it caused the equivalent of a morale loss. It could be felt accross the Empire, somehow they all knew he was dead. The sudden shock of not having a leader after so long made them not exactly think so well. It didn't take much for it to freacture as various Officers of battleships tried to make their own Empires, or take conttrol of the Empire itself. Not to mention with Imperial rule shattered numerous planets rebelled and joined the Alliance almost simultaneously and instantaneously. Basically, [censored] hit the fan.

Given Palpatine was one of the strongest force users in the galaxy, I find it a plausible theory. He's th eonly one that we've seen witht eh power to do something on that scale. Obviously this canon could be changed with new books, it's often shifting, But fo rnow, that's the explanation. Has been for at least five or six years too.

So if he was so damn powerful... Why was there rebels? Why couldn't he influence them? Did he believe he could live forever? Could he live forever?

You also said that was from a book right? Should have put that into a movie. It isn't really explained why the Empire was a bad thing. From what you tell me it was better to have one leader control the galaxy then for the galaxy to plung into countless wars.

Edit: Also if he was that powerful and some how couldn't control the rebels. Why didn't he just use the force to hunt them down and kill them. A whole Galaxy under his control and he couldn't stop a little rebellion?
Kim Kay

Next

Return to Othor Games