George Lucas Quits BlockbustersStar Wars

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 6:24 am

I don't think he has ego problems at all. There are six original Star Wars films out plus spin-offs. He's basically just worn out on the whole SW thing and is saying "Okay, I'm done here". Nothing wrong with that IMO. Star Wars needs to be let go, it doesn't need to continue just to satisfy some people's expectation that 'their' Star Wars franchise needs to be 'rescued'. Just let it rest in peace, there's already enough SW merchandise about.

I hope he goes back to making something as awesome as American Graffiti.
Yvonne

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:15 am

If he would just release the original SW movies on bluray, unaltered nobody would complain.
The prequels would have been better if they weren't prequels to EVERYTHING!
Eliza Potter

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 11:23 am

I never really cared much for his work anyway. Star Wars and Indiana Jones, were always just "meh" to me. Lazy/bored weekend watching shows.
I agree, but it still bothered me to see aliens in Indiana Jones.
OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 11:21 am

I don't think he has ego problems at all. There are six original Star Wars films out plus spin-offs. He's basically just worn out on the whole SW thing and is saying "Okay, I'm done here". Nothing wrong with that IMO. Star Wars needs to be let go, it doesn't need to continue just to satisfy some people's expectation that 'their' Star Wars franchise needs to be 'rescued'. Just let it rest in peace, there's already enough SW merchandise about.

I hope he goes back to making something as awesome as American Graffiti.
We all know he's cooking up Howard the Duck 2
vanuza

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:09 am

Also why is it called Star Wars? War with an s at the end means more than one war. Yet the whole thing is just one war and not even much of one. Its the Galactic Empire vs Rebels.
The answer is obvious: he didn't want it to be spelled out as "Raw Rats" backwards. :P

Anyway, can't say I care. Star Wars is about the overrated non-religion-related literary work ever, and Lucas' constant mastvrbation of it for decades was a serious waste of talent.
Cat

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 3:12 am

People wouldn't complain if he just offered the original films along with his "updated" versions. Messing with nostalgia tends to make people irate. :P

He did. They were released some time ago before the Blue Ray DVD boxed sets. They were two disk sets where one disk had the original theatrical release and the other disk held the Special Editions.

While I concede that he has some ego issues I'm still blaming non-true SW fans who have cried since Episode I for him quitting.

George, I still love Star Wars episodes 1-3 as well as the animated series. You'll be missed by at least me.
Vahpie

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 10:23 pm

The answer is obvious: he didn't want it to be spelled out as "Raw Rats" backwards. :tongue:

Anyway, can't say I care. Star Wars is about the overrated non-religion-related literary work ever, and Lucas' constant mastvrbation of it for decades was a serious waste of talent.
Really? Has Lucas ever really shown incredibly good judgement of what to use his talent on outside of Star Wars?
Rachael

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 5:43 am

Really? Has Lucas ever really shown incredibly good judgement of what to use his talent on outside of Star Wars?
Touche.
darnell waddington

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 9:10 pm

edit: nevermind it was obscure reference
Petr Jordy Zugar

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 10:23 am

I'm sure gonna miss remakes of the 0 Lucas films I ever watched. :(
Justin Bywater

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 10:03 pm

About time he retired, maybe somebody else can come in and make some new good Star Wars movies. The 1st 3 episodes suffered from the problem that recent movies have, too much focus on Action Scenes, not enough focus on Story.
Roy Harris

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 6:47 am

So why didn't he find Vaders son when he was just a baby and be done with the whole thing? Seriously, he controls a whole Galaxy and has the power to influence pretty much everyone.

Why does he even need a Death Star? Just get a hundred ships to blast the living crap out of the planet from orbit.

Just seems stupid that a Galaxy wide Empire is defeated by Ewoks.

Also I am talking about the movies themselves. I know there are books and comics and so on. But the movies themselves make no sense at all IMO.
It's called suspension of disbeleif. If a rebellion is mentioned, we're goimg to assume they won't waste precious screen time to show absolutely every last member in every planet of the galaxy. We KNOW it's a rebellion and big. It's a way to not waste time and get down to telling a story. So if you have no suspension of disbelief, how do you enjoy ANY story at all? Seriously, go critically look at any book in history. Anything at all with some sort of plot. Your going to find some blanks, and holes. Because it's just not possible for people to write a simulation.
Trevor Bostwick

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 9:46 pm

He couldn't live forever, he clones himself many times though, but due to a defect in the force or the device.

They were sabotaged by Carnor Jax, one of his Royal Guard who had been trained to use the force.

:nerd:
Carys

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:06 am

Not a huge fan of star wars but it svcks when such an amazing man retires.
Sabrina garzotto

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:50 am

He's more hype machine now than man, twisted and egomaniacal. Only the son of Lucas can defeat the Corporate Empire and redeem him.
Daniel Holgate

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:26 pm

After watching the infamous pizza roll reviews of Episode 1 through III I decided that Lucas wasn't even responsible for half of the stuff that made the original trilogies good in the first place.
maddison

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 4:08 am

He's more hype machine now than man, twisted and egomaniacal. Only the son of Lucas can defeat the Corporate Empire and redeem him.
He's more corporate now than man.
Oceavision

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:06 am

Well, he's not actually retiring. He claims he's going to turn to making the little art house films he has been saying he wanted to make for decades now. This could be a very good thing for George Lucas as an artist, to get away from the special effect bonanzas with bloated budgets.

This may be when Lucas makes the films that will ultimately be remembered as his greatest.

Or, alternately, he'll put out a bunch of schlock, and prove his critics correct. Time will tell.

I'm not sure what to make of Lucas as an artist. He's like a great sea of mediocrity dotted with lurking icebergs of genius. I'm interested to see what becomes of this.
Silvia Gil

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 9:28 pm

They were sabotaged by Carnor Jax, one of his Royal Guard who had been trained to use the force.

:nerd:
Yea, that too.
xemmybx

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 11:22 am

:shrug: I love Star Wars, but I really don't care.
FITTAS

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:35 am

Well, he's not actually retiring. He claims he's going to turn to making the little art house films he has been saying he wanted to make for decades now. This could be a very good thing for George Lucas as an artist, to get away from the special effect bonanzas with bloated budgets.
Lucas may want to go low-key, but try as you might to take the man out of the block-buster, you can't take the block-buster out of the man.

So if his films are art-house people will expect block-buster and he'll get panned, whereas if he releases a block-buster he'll get criticised for lying.
Alan Whiston

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 6:04 am

I think Peter Jackson might make a great job of directing/producing. A writer of the good novels could write the screenplay.

I'd sabotage the sound stage before I let that happen. Peter Jackson is not that great....the LotR movies are overrated. I could make those books turned into movies eye-popping too, if someone backed me with that much money and CGI.
meg knight

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 9:34 am

I get the feeling George Lucas will make anyone wanting to even say Star Wars take the rights over his dead body.
I think Peter Jackson might make a great job of directing/producing. A writer of the good novels could write the screenplay.

I would like to see Peter Jackson do a Knights of the Old Republic movie, but it's like JagarTharn12 said {See quote}. George would rather die then hand Star Wars over to someone else.
Steve Bates

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 11:57 pm

I'd sabotage the sound stage before I let that happen. Peter Jackson is not that great....the LotR movies are overrated. I could make those books turned into movies eye-popping too, if someone backed me with that much money and CGI.
In your opinion LotR is overrated. In my opinion LotR are the greatest movies ever made. I do agree that he shouldn't do Star Wars though, its too far outside what he usually makes. Same with Chris Nolan.
Grace Francis

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 10:53 am

Lucas may want to go low-key, but try as you might to take the man out of the block-buster, you can't take the block-buster out of the man.

So if his films are art-house people will expect block-buster and he'll get panned, whereas if he releases a block-buster he'll get criticised for lying.

You've gotta remember, he started out by doing art house films. THX-1138 was his first movie (THX-1138: 4Eb was his third or fourth short film), and it was supposed to be the very first prequel to Star Wars. In one scene you can clearly hear one of the "Storm" troopers while chasing the protaganist (sp?) down a tunnel in their "car" thing he clearly says, "Ahh...I think I just hit a Wookie." (was in THX-1138: 4EB I believe) Then he made American Graffiti (which was a good movie). Star Wars and Indiana Jones aren't the only movies he's ever done. He had his hands in Beverly Hills Cop III as well, Howard the Duck...the list goes on.

But everything up to and I believe which included Star Wars: A New Hope was "art-house" he didn't start becoming "main-stream" and "block-buster" until the time of Star Wars: A New Hope.
sexy zara

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games