George Lucas Quits BlockbustersStar Wars

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:16 pm

snip

So why didn't he find Vaders son when he was just a baby and be done with the whole thing? Seriously, he controls a whole Galaxy and has the power to influence pretty much everyone.

Why does he even need a Death Star? Just get a hundred ships to blast the living crap out of the planet from orbit.

Just seems stupid that a Galaxy wide Empire is defeated by Ewoks.

Also I am talking about the movies themselves. I know there are books and comics and so on. But the movies themselves make no sense at all IMO.
luis dejesus

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 9:49 am

But why make a 5th Indiana Jones movie? :facepalm:
Shia Labeouf want to pay off his mortgage
Smokey

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:01 am

Shia Labeouf want to pay off his mortgage
Is that who'd play Indi? :(
Lillian Cawfield

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:06 am

Is that who'd play Indi? :(
He played his son in the last son film, so I'd assume that he would take the lead off Harrison (it leaves open a reboot option in five years, unlike Harrison Ford)
Carlos Rojas

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 11:26 pm

But they are dead. All but Luke Skywalker, and I doubt even he could take on a whole Galaxy of pissed off storm troopers.

Don't underestimate the power of the force. :P
Anthony Rand

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 am

The republic slowly did come back after he was killed. It was almost destroyed several times, but in the end they managed to secure victory. Its too many countless tales, books, and comics for me to go into detail. but the sheer volume of litterature form that era assures me a great deal of people worked to bring it back. Not just spring back magically, like you say. A two hour movie is only so long, we can't follow series upon series of characters all doing things adding up to the collapse of the Empire. Would litteraly be an eternity worth of stories, by any human standards. When I say the Star Wars fandom is huge, I mean it.
Finally someone else on these forums who has read the Star Wars books, I'd have to say that this is the universe I am the biggest nerd about. I personally think that Darth Sidious and Darth Vader were inferior compared to some of the Sith who came before, notably Darth Bane and Darth Zannah.

There are well over a hundred books set in this universe spanning from 5000 years before the Battle of Yavin(BBY) to 43 years after(ABY) and that's not including the comics.
So why didn't he find Vaders son when he was just a baby and be done with the whole thing? Seriously, he controls a whole Galaxy and has the power to influence pretty much everyone.

Why does he even need a Death Star? Just get a hundred ships to blast the living crap out of the planet from orbit.

Also I am talking about the movies themselves. I know there are books and comics and so on. But the movies themselves make no sense at all IMO.
He didn't find Luke because he was being hidden by two powerful Jedi Masters and the galaxy in Star Wars is a damn big place. http://www.starwarsmap.com/official_star_wars_galaxy_map_picture_image_photo_pic_pix_photograph/star_wars_map_star_wars_galaxy_map_official_galactic_map_star_wars_universe_1.jpg shows just some of the better known planets.

He wants to build a Death Star as a terror weapon, Tarkin explains this in Episode IV. Saying you have a fleet that contains thousands of powerful ships that could burn entire continents to ash is a bit less intimidating saying you have a moon sized space station that could completely destroy a planet.

The Empire wasn't defeated by Ewoks, what happened in Episode VI was the destruction of the Death Star, the deaths of Palpatine and Vader and a portion of the Imperial fleet. The Empire was never really defeated in the books, it just became smaller with less influence and eventually signed a treaty with the New Republic(Rebel Alliance).
carrie roche

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:58 am

So [censored]ing on the interent does make a difference :P
jessica sonny

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 11:10 am

The film series makes plenty of sense, you're just overanolyzing them. There's far too much material for everything to be explained in a single two hour sitting, so viewers are given the essential setup via the opening crawl and then the film itself focuses on key events. One thing to keep in mind is that both film trilogies are the story of Anakin Skywalker, not of the the Star Wars universe in its entirety. That's why the Expanded Universe exists in the first place, to shed a light on everything that the films couldn't/didn't have to.
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:31 am

For all those people who said Karma doesnt exist, see it does, were finally saved from the torture of anymore star wars, if theres not enough bad films making more star wars and making it worse is something we dont really need.

Now we can only hope they get rid of 3D films, and hopefully no Avatar 2.
sas

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:53 am

Good! Let someone else take up star wars. You never know, it might actually become the hit it once was again. Sometimes all you need is a fresh mind to get it rolling.
Albert Wesker

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 4:39 am

Good! Let someone else take up star wars. You never know, it might actually become the hit it once was again. Sometimes all you need is a fresh mind to get it rolling.
I get the feeling George Lucas will make anyone wanting to even say Star Wars take the rights over his dead body.
Mélida Brunet

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 10:17 pm

I hope you're ready to argue your point for the other hundreds of movies out there that don't make sense, too.
DarkGypsy

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 4:33 am

Now we can only hope they get rid of 3D films, and hopefully no Avatar 2.
3D in film will either die or improve, either way I'm happy.

Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time, of course there is going to be an Avatar 2 and I for one am looking forward to it. Cameron has also said that there is going to be third one as well.
Helen Quill

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 1:14 am

Frankly the man has enourmous ego problems in my opinion.
Yeah, I agree that he's always had these problems but I also think it's his oversized ego that gave him the idea of star wars in the first place. Star Wars is very epic, pompous and to some extent pretentious. It's good vs evil, with a whole galaxy at stake. I think it's very risky to make movies out of an idea like that, they could've easily fallen flat on their faces (and many would argue that some of the sw movies do fall flat on their faces). It takes guts to make movies like that, so I'm kinda glad he had an ego big enough to think he could pull it off. Sure, I don't really like many of his movies, and their remastering is not really impressive, but among all that unimpressive work we got Episodes IV and V which are, imo, sf masterpieces.
Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 11:34 am

Also why is it called Star Wars? War with an s at the end means more than one war. Yet the whole thing is just one war and not even much of one. Its the Galactic Empire vs Rebels.

Then there is Clone Wars. Samething, its the republic vs the separatists. Again only one war. Unless they are talking about the battles that take place on different planets, but those are battles within the war, not wars themselves.

It has less to do with literal meaning and the way it sounds, star war does not sound as good as star wars. or stars war which sounds worse, even though that is the more literal way of discribing the series.

Edit: also, stars war sounds like something that would have to do with netflix streaming :spotted owl:
lucy chadwick

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Also why is it called Star Wars? War with an s at the end means more than one war. Yet the whole thing is just one war and not even much of one. Its the Galactic Empire vs Rebels.

Then there is Clone Wars. Samething, its the republic vs the separatists. Again only one war. Unless they are talking about the battles that take place on different planets, but those are battles within the war, not wars themselves.
Seeing as the republic, the empire and the seperatists are made up of many planets and governments it is many wars between them, and it sounds less silly than Star War as Mirglof said
Skrapp Stephens

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 2:30 am

They're [censored] him! OH GOD! Someone stop him, he is [censored] him!! Ahhh jesus help him :cryvaultboy: :cold:
Carolyne Bolt

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 10:59 am

Nooooooooooooooo........ I've been hoping for VII, VIII and IX.....Or a trilogy based on the KOTOR / TOR era. Bah.
To be honest as much as I think a star wars trilogy based on those would be good, I wouldn't want George Lucas to be in charge. I don't think he's up to the job personally
Devils Cheek

Post » Sat May 12, 2012 9:05 pm

To be honest as much as I think a star wars trilogy based on those would be good, I wouldn't want George Lucas to be in charge. I don't think he's up to the job personally
I think Peter Jackson might make a great job of directing/producing. A writer of the good novels could write the screenplay.
Laura Hicks

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:30 am

I think Peter Jackson might make a great job of directing/producing. A writer of the good novels could write the screenplay.
Him or Chris Nolan.
dean Cutler

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:12 am

or maybe a new space saga that is equally great or is even better than star wars?
Dean

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 7:50 am

He seems to be obsessed with marketing to ages 13 and under
Danny Blight

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 12:42 pm

Pretty much why I dislike his approach. His original idea was good but his execution of it over Episodes 1-3 were a bit....... soft
Shelby McDonald

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 8:09 am

Thats because it would gather more profits as it's targeting a bigger age range, kind of how PG films profit more than 18+
gemma king

Post » Sun May 13, 2012 10:00 am

I agree with you, as I think the best Star Wars material was created by people other than Lucas, but I think he is going to be too vindictive to let anyone else make any Star Wars films or TV series.
Kevin S

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games