Has Bethesda taken too much flack?

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Like Falcon says, there is only a minority who flak Bethesda and Obsidian, Most of the user only bash Obsidian and let Bethesda out of this
Jhenna lee Lizama

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:21 pm

maybe my opinion wasnt clear earlier but they both put their names all over the game so they are equally at fault..if you put your name on something you made its essentially your stamp of approval..
Jeff Tingler

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:06 am

KOTOR 2 was notably buggy at release.

also because of a rushed release date. honestly makes me wonder if people are going to Obsidian because they are still relatively unheard of, can do a good job writing, and will get the game finished (if not perfect) on a short amount of time. Obsidian (like black isles) tends to focus on simplicity in gameplay, story, and characters, as opposed to linear PoS's

I certainly hope they continue to work with Obsidian
lisa nuttall

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:49 pm

Wow. Do you have a link to support that $$ figure?

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/708491/fallout-new-vegas-sales-300-million-5-million-units-shipped.html

now what?
alyssa ALYSSA

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:52 pm

also because of a rushed release date. honestly makes me wonder if people are going to Obsidian because they are still relatively unheard of, can do a good job writing, and will get the game finished (if not perfect) on a short amount of time. Obsidian (like black isles) tends to focus on simplicity in gameplay, story, and characters, as opposed to linear PoS's

I certainly hope they continue to work with Obsidian

Obsdian nowadays have former members of Black Isle, but then again, its not only Obsidian fault, like LucasArts and Obsidian have the resposibilities back with KOTOR2, Bethesda and Obsidian have the same thing with New Vegas
Pants

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:13 pm

From what I can tell Obsidian have made some good games in the past, notably KOTOR 2, which I've heard good things about and if Obsidian were having problems, would they really have let Bethesda know the full story, especially if they were under preasure to get it out for the release date?

It really doesn't have anything to do with Obsidian letting Beth know it's more of an issue that there is a tangible product that can be "inspected" and Bethesda should've been keeping tabs on the software.

bigcrazewolf
Tai Scott

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Bethesda laid the foundation, which is responsible for many, if not most, of the bugs. The engine just svcks. Obsidian has nothing to do with that.

Agreed. Obsidian couldn't make the game without using Bethesda's outdated engine, so it's not their fault. All of the old problems with F3 are now in NV, coincidence?
brian adkins

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:21 pm

Wow. Do you have a link to support that $$ figure?

I do.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/fallout-new-vegas/news/fallout-new-vegas-sells-5-million-copies-generates-300-million-in-revenue-says-bethesda/a-20101108152645271000/g-2009050816317271026

OT - I think I'm in the minority of the community that does not have any hard feelings against them. I think this is only because I've saved myself any frustration and waited for almost 6 weeks for the game to be stable. The New Vegas storyline sounds solid, and gameplay-wise 1.2 should sort that out for the most part. I had absolutely no problems with FO3, and encountered zero bug/freezes with DLC included.

The only gripe I have is the state in which the game was released. I see no logic in releasing unfinished products. Although I shouldn't have had to wait 6 weeks to enjoy a game without hindering my progress I have had to and there was nothing I could do about it. If I'd have bought a 360 with only F:NV I might have been a little more annoyed, but I have a huge collection of games to play so it hasn't really bothered me.

Roll on tomorrow. :)

EDIT - I see someone else provided a link. Ah well.
BlackaneseB

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:06 pm

As for i recall, Fallout 2 was the only rushed game of all the Fallout games
Lizs

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:04 pm

I see part of the problem is that programs like Steam make it too easy to fix a shoddy and unfinished product, I my self encountered very few bugs with FONV but it has a rushed look to it. If you want an example of an unfinished bug fest Empire Total War takes the prize, even after the release date was pushed back the game was still unplayable (except for a lucky few) for six months. It’s expected that a game will have a few bugs but the Suits are pushing for unrealistic deadlines (and the developers are probability understaffed also) and they are using programs like Steam to put out an unfinished product and getting payed then finishing the job if you are lucky. It’s like buying a car off the show room floor then not being able to drive it for a month because the car company hasn’t got around to installing the engine.
amhain

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:13 pm

Bethesda PAYS Obsidian .So if you get paid to do a job you do that job the way THEY tell you do it. Period.
Guy Pearce

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:51 pm

If you actually look, Beth are the ones that did all the QA, and they produced it. So they are the ones in charge of Time tables and bug fixing. So any "released too early" and "too many bugs" are on them.

This. My copy had some bugs but they are gone now. Not everyone has game breaking bugs. Obsidian made Fallout Fallout again :D
Fluffer

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:19 am

As for i recall, Fallout 2 was the only rushed game of all the Fallout games

Yeah I don't remember fully but I think Fallout 1 took 3 years from concept idea to final stage.
Fallout 2 on the other hand took like 1 year.
And if people are pissed off that New Vegas is basically FO3 they should play FO1 and FO2 cause FO2 had way more copy pasta. :P

And no, I will whine at both ways.
Whine at Obsidian for some stupid design decisions.
And at Bethesda cause they pushed the game out too soon.
willow

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:34 pm

Has Beth taken too much flack?
NO

Has Obsidian taken too much flack?
NO

Has a lot of the flak been hyperbolic and whiny?
YES

Is it time for everybody to take a chill pill?
YES

Will/Should Beth work with Obsidian again?
YES

All-In-All, has this release/patch cycle been Worse/Average/Better than most major games?
Average Release / Better Patch
Myles

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Bethesda laid the foundation, which is responsible for many, if not most, of the bugs. The engine just svcks. Obsidian has nothing to do with that.

So all the quest bugs are due to the engine? What about the radio volume glitch? Or the crazy arms glitch? Or... [repeat to fade]

There are bugs that seem to be inherent in the engine, but Obsidian added many, many more of their own to proceedings.

Both companies are culpable, so no, Beth hasn't taken too much flak. If anything, they haven't taken enough, and I would've hoped for more of a fan outcry in the hopes of preventing another Beth game being released before it's finished. As it stands, there's no incentive not to, as the majority of fans seems bafflingly happy with the state of the unfinished-at-launch NV.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:41 am

Yes, i'm sure Bethesda is very annoyed that New Vegas has managed to make $300+ million in profit.

Bad Obsidian! Bad dog!

In total sales. Total sales, not profit.

Having said that, those figures are so last month! Recent and Christmas sales will probably double that. Now that the patch is out, well before Christmas, and the game sites and press continue to keep the game and its progress on the front page I would expect end of year sales to more than double that.

We're talking half a Billion dollars (with a 'B') by the end of the year.

Whoo Hoo and well deserved I say.
:goodjob: :foodndrink: :celebration:
Floor Punch

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:10 pm

I see part of the problem is that programs like Steam make it too easy to fix a shoddy and unfinished product...

I really can't see how a mechanism to distribute game patches could in any way be considered a problem. Only through some backward internet logic could this be seen as a problem. Games were shipped with bugs long before anything like Steam was around.

Heck, the first Fallout game had some horrible bugs at release.
Jessica Thomson

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:42 pm

I think that some people should remember that Obsidian made the game. Bethesda is getting way too much flack, they're caught in the middle and I wouldn't be surprised if they're as annoyed with Obsidian as a lot of people tend to be with Bethesda.

Will Bethesda be intersted in working with Obsidian again?

Considering Obsidian did a better job of making a Fallout game than Bethesda did, I would say they can expect to be called on again.
Camden Unglesbee

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:56 am

Both Bethesda and Obsidian have been bashed over the last months
Lisa

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am

I really can't see how a mechanism to distribute game patches could in any way be considered a problem. Only through some backward internet logic could this be seen as a problem. Games were shipped with bugs long before anything like Steam was around.

Heck, the first Fallout game had some horrible bugs at release.

He did say 'shoddy and unfinished product', not 'buggy product', although I will grant the two often go together.

I think his point was that with services like Steam it has become far easier to patch a game post-release than it previously was, and as a result some developers and/or publishers are releasing games before they are really ready since they can always send out (a) patch(es) later. Whether or not that is a problem is obviously a matter of opinion, and some folks do see it as one even if you don't.

I happen to be on the fence on this subject, since while I can see where the ability to 'patch on the fly' might tempt publishers to release games 'ahead of schedule', at the same time I suspect that said publishers would rather release completed products in order to avoid unnecessary headaches later on. As far as I am concerned Steam is merely a delivery platform, however I can see why some folks do not like how it seems to facilitate what they see as 'piecemeal' game releasing.
Rachel Hall

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:00 pm

Bethesda has a reputation for being cheap and clinging to outdated technology, and putting out bug riddled games. That's undeniable truth, whether or not they get flak, they won't change their ways until they... change their ways.

Not liking design choices does not counts as a bug -> the last really bugged game Beth created was Daggerfall -> Morrowind, Oblivion and FO3 all played stable for me and to this day still do as all 3 are still installed on my computer as are Arena and Daggerfall.

Most of the "BUGS" people run into and blame on Beth are of their own addition through poorly created mods, and the UOP's do not fix bugs they do stupid S**T like moving trees and rocks calling that a bug fix and most mods do things like altering game design choices like altering Oblivions aggressive level scaling which also does not count as bug fixing, there was of course the addition of the SI Reference Bug that got squashed quickly.

I have crashed more playing FONV that I ever have playing every other Beth game combined hell my FO3 has not crashed once the entire time I have owned it with exception to when patch 1.5 was released and I needed to convert my CC module into a master to get over the annoying undocumented change in the esp format I guess that can count that as a bug.

This. My copy had some bugs but they are gone now. Not everyone has game breaking bugs. Obsidian made Fallout Fallout again :D

I guess taking a perfectly good Open World RPG/FPS engine and puking all over an opportunity to prove that they can do more then traditional Linear RPGs as making Fallout Fallout then sure.

Personally I would have preferred if the game was not a linear train ride from begining to end especially when its made within an open world game engine.

Considering Obsidian did a better job of making a Fallout game than Bethesda did, I would say they can expect to be called on again.

Thats an opinion.... not shared by everyone here.

Though from sales numbers I would expect them to gets another go at either Fallout 4 or Fallout 4 Expansion.
Laura Ellaby

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:29 pm

How New Vegas can be linear?
Gemma Flanagan

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:54 pm

Thats an opinion.... not shared by everyone here.

It's an opinion?
How?
It is a better "Fallout" game.
If it's a "better game" is up for debate.
A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 am

It's an opinion?
How?
It is a better "Fallout" game.
If it's a "better game" is up for debate.

Yes but, People are to much of a fan of the truely original not ripped off game named Fallout 3 to realize that.
SUck MYdIck

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:09 pm

Fallout 3: a silly history, linear, and you character is always a godlike, Broken Steel didn t help, Exploration was the only pros in the game, after that, it feels like Oblivion: Wasteland Edition
Amiee Kent

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas