Has Bethesda taken too much flack?

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:15 pm

it feels like Oblivion: Wasteland Edition

Lol. Agreed.

Good thing i'm on pc. Mods do wonders for the game, as they did with oblivion.

New Vegas has got me hooked, and thats without game altering mods. After the patch I have begun to immensely enjoy the game. Props Obsidian, hope to see your name on future Fallout titles. Bethesda stick to sword and magic kthxbai.
Veronica Martinez

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:53 pm

I guess taking a perfectly good Open World RPG/FPS engine and puking all over an opportunity to prove that they can do more then traditional Linear RPGs as making Fallout Fallout then sure.

Personally I would have preferred if the game was not a linear train ride from begining to end especially when its made within an open world game engine.

Fallout New Vegas is not linear. Fallout was not meant to be a sandbox, walk aimlessly around collecting teddy bears type game. FO3 was way more FPS then RPG. The game is full of "please shoot me" people. Fallout New vegas like the originals gives you a chance to deal with most of the factions in a none run and gun way. So yes if puking all over a perfectly good Open World RPG/FPS engine is what it took to make Fallout Fallout I agree :D.
A Dardzz

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Because it was rushed. The game barely got tested and there was enough cut content to make a full scale expansion. So take it up with LucasArts.

Returning to the topic, my opinion is that the problem lies with Gamebryo. So you can see where I'm going with this...

So, what's your excuse for 'Neverwinter Nights 2'? that game is also very buggy straight out of the box. I had multiple CTD or 'unexpected error' windows pop up.. wasn't until at least the 2nd or 3rd patch that things started to look up for that game.
Vera Maslar

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Bethesda PAYS Obsidian .So if you get paid to do a job you do that job the way THEY tell you do it. Period.

I bet they never told them to make sure it had loads of bugs!
Ice Fire

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:21 am

I normally do not buy games until they are in the bargain bin. I made an exception for FO3 and couldn't play it until patched...vowed to never buy a new title again. FoNV came out and I actually pre-ordered for the first time ever and it may have been buggy as hell, but at least it was somewhat playable and now I really vow never to buy a new title! :P
D IV

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:51 am

He did say 'shoddy and unfinished product', not 'buggy product', although I will grant the two often go together.

I think his point was that with services like Steam it has become far easier to patch a game post-release than it previously was, and as a result some developers and/or publishers are releasing games before they are really ready since they can always send out (a) patch(es) later. Whether or not that is a problem is obviously a matter of opinion, and some folks do see it as one even if you don't.

I happen to be on the fence on this subject, since while I can see where the ability to 'patch on the fly' might tempt publishers to release games 'ahead of schedule', at the same time I suspect that said publishers would rather release completed products in order to avoid unnecessary headaches later on. As far as I am concerned Steam is merely a delivery platform, however I can see why some folks do not like how it seems to facilitate what they see as 'piecemeal' game releasing.

I don't for a second believe any company would knowingly release a broken game because "lol we can patch it through steam, lets get monies!". Thinking that companies do this smells like projection to me.

;)
katie TWAVA

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:06 am

I think Bethesda and Obsidian deserve lots of praise for this game. Obsidian built an awesome game, has not patched it to most folks satisfaction and Bethesda has marketed it so that it has great sells.

I don't see why we don't love them both for this game...it's pretty darned awesome.
Lexy Corpsey

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:04 pm

I think Bethesda and Obsidian deserve lots of praise for this game. Obsidian built an awesome game, has not patched it to most folks satisfaction and Bethesda has marketed it so that it has great sells.

I don't see why we don't love them both for this game...it's pretty darned awesome.

I like the games, but I do not like not being able to play them on mainstream/quality brand hardware released 2-3 years before the game that should be able to run anything that is tested properly...not some obscure manufacturer from 5 years ago that went bankrupt or something like that.
Yonah

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:25 am

So, what's your excuse for 'Neverwinter Nights 2'? that game is also very buggy straight out of the box. I had multiple CTD or 'unexpected error' windows pop up.. wasn't until at least the 2nd or 3rd patch that things started to look up for that game.

Can't say anything because I haven't played it. I commented on KotOR II because I saw a lot of people bashing Obsidian because of it. Neverwinter Nights 2, no opinion.
Claire Mclaughlin

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:27 pm

I think that some people should remember that Obsidian made the game. Bethesda is getting way too much flack, they're caught in the middle and I wouldn't be surprised if they're as annoyed with Obsidian as a lot of people tend to be with Bethesda.

Will Bethesda be intersted in working with Obsidian again?

I'm not sure who is to "blame" for the bugs, probably both since their names are on the product.

If I were absolutley forced to choose it would be whichever
one of them was in charge of testing and or whoever made the call to release it in that condition.

Fallout 3: a silly history, linear, and you character is always a godlike, Broken Steel didn t help, Exploration was the only pros in the game, after that, it feels like Oblivion: Wasteland Edition

LOL. This.

My FONV got ruined when my dog knocked my xbox off the table. Out of sheer withdrawl, I started a new FO3 playthrough last night. Played for 3 hours.

I think I'm done with my playthrough. I just can't play that game after being spoiled.

I miss my FONV :(
Len swann

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:49 am

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Beth was in charge of bug testing. Which would make most of the bugs there fault. A game as big as this needs proper bug testing before release. The devs themselves can only do so much while they actually make the game. Unforeseen things can happen that the devs are unaware of when they make a script, and other things. Which is why bug testing is important I doubt Beth has any ill will towards Obsidian either way being they both are game devs, and know how buggy a game can be. They are in the same profession. Besides FO3 was a mess upon its release as well, and it was a far more simplified game then this one. If anything Obsidian was too ambitious about how much they could get done with the time they had, and should have scratched a few things in order to get the game into beta testing sooner.
Lizzie

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:49 am

I think that some people should remember that Obsidian made the game. Bethesda is getting way too much flack, they're caught in the middle and I wouldn't be surprised if they're as annoyed with Obsidian as a lot of people tend to be with Bethesda.

Will Bethesda be intersted in working with Obsidian again?

Of course they have this game has been called broken an unplayable by alot of Mass Effect2 [censored] on the xbox forums, there is nothing wrong with this game
I have played extensivally an yet to run into any unplayable glitches or bugs, the only problem I have with the game is its a little too easy an I know its jus becuase its lacking good DLCs people jus have to sit tight an wait I freaking LOVE this game, an btw I dont care much for the Oblivian series always thought that they were Dull an Boring so i hope BETHESDA an not Obsidian makes Fallout 4 cant wait!! this one will have to do until then though..
Nienna garcia

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:07 am

Of course they have this game has been called broken an unplayable by alot of Mass Effect2 [censored] on the xbox forums, there is nothing wrong with this game
I have played extensivally an yet to run into any unplayable glitches or bugs, the only problem I have with the game is its a little too easy an I know its jus becuase its lacking good DLCs people jus have to sit tight an wait I freaking LOVE this game, an btw I dont care much for the Oblivian series always thought that they were Dull an Boring so i hope BETHESDA an not Obsidian makes Fallout 4 cant wait!! this one will have to do until then though..

Actually, BETHESDA made Oblivion, so you should be praying for OBSIDIAN to make another Fallout game. :P
REVLUTIN

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:01 am

Fallout 3: a silly history, linear, and you character is always a godlike, Broken Steel didn t help, Exploration was the only pros in the game, after that, it feels like Oblivion: Wasteland Edition

Considering Fallout xyz's are the history then both games have a silly History! If your reffering to the main quest I will agree it was not my favorite part of that game.

Godlike -> in FONV Godlike is a trademark pop 3-4 regen foods and NOTHING CAN KILL YOU the food regens you faster then any npc does damage its freaking ridiculous how god like you are in this game vs FO3 at least in FO3 you had to remember in the heat of battle to pop stims in this game you can preload health and wade into rooms full of enemies and not take one point of damage !!!

never bought BS as I did not care about free roam after the MQ, I finished the game when I was ready to start a new char.

Exploration is what this game engine does best -> but FO3 had a more going for it then just Exploration over FONV -> damn near every sidequest was better being a delivery service is not fun and 80% of FONV's quests are of this type -> the locations had life or the remnants of it vs FONV where the entire world is boring as hell (except for the quest areas) there is no reason to explore anything as when you get there you will find nothing of interest hell the most interesting exploration find in FONV is the Bomber in the lake everything else is only there to further the Main Quest and the few worthwhile side quests.

I would not be so irritated about the game being a Linear bore fest if Obsid had at least taken the time to fill in a few non quest related areas to explore and find some stories, loot or just about anything other then wasted space.

Fallout New Vegas is not linear. Fallout was not meant to be a sandbox, walk aimlessly around collecting teddy bears type game. FO3 was way more FPS then RPG. The game is full of "please shoot me" people. Fallout New vegas like the originals gives you a chance to deal with most of the factions in a none run and gun way. So yes if puking all over a perfectly good Open World RPG/FPS engine is what it took to make Fallout Fallout I agree :D.

Yes because starting in Goodsprings and going in a counterclockwise circle to finish the game is not linear, not in the slightest -> especially when you have to do that path EVERY TIME YOU PLAY -> oh wait that is the very definition of LINEAR.

You know its not even that its so linear thats the problem its that they included NOTHING to explore outside of quest locations within each leveled area.
BlackaneseB

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:11 am

Yes because starting in Goodsprings and going in a counterclockwise circle to finish the game is not linear, not in the slightest -> especially when you have to do that path EVERY TIME YOU PLAY

No you don't. :mellow:
Brb, gonna do something quick in MSpaint just for you. ;)

Vegas map: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4307/falloutnewvegasmapv001.png
Okay, the yellow lines are ways to go around the invisible walls.
The one to the north with the wine-red X over it is off course not possible at low levels due to cazadors.
The one going by Sloan with the wine-red dots IS POSSIBLE to go through, just stick to the east as much as possible and try to go past the road to the north by sneaking and quickly jumping up on the rocks once past the turned truck.
The one by the railroad leading to Novac with the green circles is possible, there is a deathclaw there, but if you lure it out and wait for a couple of hours it will disappear and voila! Free acces to the east side of the map instantly.
roxxii lenaghan

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Godlike -> in FONV Godlike is a trademark pop 3-4 regen foods and NOTHING CAN KILL YOU the food regens you faster then any npc does damage its freaking ridiculous how god like you are in this game vs FO3 at least in FO3 you had to remember in the heat of battle to pop stims in this game you can preload health and wade into rooms full of enemies and not take one point of damage !!!

Didn't you got these two games confused? You *can't* gimp yourself(unless we are talking about the drugs or the ridiculous Ant meat boosts) and charge in guns blazing without taking any damage. That sounds exactly like Fallout 3 to me, where stimpacks were insta-effect and pretty much a god mode alltogether when you could hotkey them.

Hmm, come to think of it, I may be wrong. Damage threshold perhaps?

Question, have you played in the hardcoe mode? Stims are healing over the time, which makes quite a difference in a battle.
SHAWNNA-KAY

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:48 pm

Didn't you got these two games confused? You *can't* gimp yourself(unless we are talking about the drugs or the ridiculous Ant meat boosts) and charge in guns blazing without taking any damage. That sounds exactly like Fallout 3 to me, where stimpacks were insta-effect and pretty much a god mode alltogether when you could hotkey them.

Question, have you played in the hardcoe mode? Stims are healing over the time, which makes quite a difference in a battle.

I was referring to the HOTS and you can stack these in FONV to the point that its nearly impossible for anything to even damage you.

Had they stuck a limit of the amount of foods you can stack/eat at once then doing these as hots might have been harder but the way it is now you can stack a few and run in gunning and on the other side of the battle be completely healed.

In FO3 at least you had to remember to use your hotkeys in the heat of battle in FONV you do not even need to do that.

No you don't. :mellow:
Brb, gonna do something quick in MSpaint just for you. ;)

Vegas map: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4307/falloutnewvegasmapv001.png
Okay, the yellow lines are ways to go around the invisible walls.
The one to the north with the wine-red X over it is off course not possible at low levels due to cazadors.
The one going by Sloan with the wine-red dots IS POSSIBLE to go through, just stick to the east as much as possible and try to go past the road to the north by sneaking and quickly jumping up on the rocks once past the turned truck.
The one by the railroad leading to Novac with the green circles is possible, there is a deathclaw there, but if you lure it out and wait for a couple of hours it will disappear and voila! Free acces to the east side of the map instantly.

Getting up there makes no difference if you get there at level 1-5ish everything around the upper half of the map far out levels you making it nothing but a run of the uniques (other then "That Gun" of course), then you end up retreating back to the lower half to actually play.
Rhi Edwards

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:54 am

Seriously, how often to you pop stims during a fight or bother using food before a fight? Let's face it, even on Very Hard, this game is way way way too easy. You don't even have to fight unless it's a pack of deathclaws or cazadors or giant rads if you have 2 companions (which totally sux and goes to how easy the game is). I don't mind the followers being OP as much as I mind that all ghouls and human enemies are such cupcakes to kill. A deathclaw is a far more formidable opponent than 5 dumb legionaires.
ezra

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:30 pm

Seriously, how often to you pop stims during a fight or bother using food before a fight? Let's face it, even on Very Hard, this game is way way way too easy. You don't even have to fight unless it's a pack of deathclaws or cazadors or giant rads if you have 2 companions (which totally sux and goes to how easy the game is). I don't mind the followers being OP as much as I mind that all ghouls and human enemies are such cupcakes to kill. A deathclaw is a far more formidable opponent than 5 dumb legionaires.

This is where mods like MMM (I do not believe Mart has finished the FONV version as yet) and SSP-CC(I have not released the FONV version) come in adding more creatures to kill in much larger mobs so even if your using 2 companions they can not kill everything before you get swarmed. -> I think there are a few Increased Spawns mods out now but I use http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9396 currently.
jess hughes

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:55 am

They're still pretty guilty to me. They left Oblivion and Fallout 3 in a pretty rough state for me and that's across two different systems I have.

I like their games, but they have very poor support.
Tiff Clark

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:48 am

If I may add to your point, you're are also invincible in VATS in FO3. And have a dart gun to slow down the only remotely tough baddies.

One last thing, I've heard the "Super Mutant Overlord" refrenced several times by folks actually trying to sell that FO3 is a more difficult game. Problem with that is it is very easy to CONSISTANTLY shoot guns out of the baddies hands in FO3. Bye bye Tri Beam Laser Rifle. Problem solved.

Used to do that all the time in FO3. Go into vats, disarm everyone, pull out the Jingwei Shock Sword and go to town :::swing swing swing, chop chop chop:::
Sarah Evason

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:46 am

If I may add to your point, you're are also invincible in VATS in FO3. And have a dart gun to slow down the only remotely tough baddies.

One last thing, I've heard the "Super Mutant Overlord" refrenced several times by folks actually trying to sell that FO3 is a more difficult game. Problem with that is it is very easy to CONSISTANTLY shoot guns out of the baddies hands in FO3. Bye bye Tri Beam Laser Rifle. Problem solved.

Used to do that all the time in FO3. Go into vats, disarm everyone, pull out the Jingwei Shock Sword and go to town :::swing swing swing, chop chop chop:::

Don't use logic to prove a point! No! Logic and facts can be used to prove anything!
Kristina Campbell

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:10 am

I think that some people should remember that Obsidian made the game.

I think that some people should remember that Bethesda's QA department oversaw the bugfixing of the game. Take a look at the credits. ;)

I was referring to the HOTS and you can stack these in FONV to the point that its nearly impossible for anything to even damage you.

Are you playing on easy-softcoe or something? Individual foods don't really stack, only different food types do, and in hardcoe they take time to heal you so you have to stack six or more of them because otherwise the regeneration won't beat the damage you're receiving.

And they generally only last a few seconds, leaving you in trouble.

Had they stuck a limit of the amount of foods you can stack/eat at once then doing these as hots might have been harder but the way it is now you can stack a few and run in gunning and on the other side of the battle be completely healed.

Only if you're fighting weak enemies. Stronger enemies like upper tier legion, NCR ranger vets, deathclaws, murder wasps, etc will all laugh at your puny regeneration and destroy you with their attacks.

In FO3 at least you had to remember to use your hotkeys in the heat of battle in FONV you do not even need to do that.

Jhenna lee Lizama

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:17 am

Bethesda develops FO4 ,,,, goods new for you, but not for me because i am not happy after their mediocre FO3, but sure, they can learn from their mistakes

FO3 uses level grinding, so, no matter where you go, the enemies always are adapted depending on your level, in other words, i can kill a deatclaw even with a Hunting Rifle, in lower levels
New Vegas, going straight north is a suicide, the best way is passing via Hidden Valley in daytime,

Operation Anchorage is good but linear
The Pitt and Point Lookout was the only DLC that feels like Fallout
Broken Steel didnt help. the original ending was bad enough and now this
Motership Zeta was just horrible, even BOS for PS2 was fun
SWagg KId

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:46 am

The Pitt and Point Lookout was the only DLC that feels like Fallout
Broken Steel didnt help. the original ending was bad enough and now this
Motership Zeta was just horrible, even BOS for PS2 was fun

What do you mean the ending for Broken Steel was horrible?! Are you kidding???? It was GENIUS!!!!

"Lone Wanderer, you have saved the Capitol Wasteland. The Scribes will record your heroic actions in the scrolls never to be forgotton. Oh...uh.......er......could you scav some tech for us?" :rofl:

I did love The Pitt though
Gracie Dugdale

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas