If Khajiit aren't allowed in the cities...

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:16 pm

To be honest, I'm more annoyed by how indifferent Windhelm is to non Nords. That one, really has no excuse aside from they just didn't care.

Isn't it much like non-Dunmer characters being a part of Dunmer houses or the Morag Tong in Morrowind?
Sarah Edmunds

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 am

Isn't it much like non-Dunmer characters being a part of Dunmer houses or the Morag Tong in Morrowind?

Yeah, it's nothing new. Something you'll just have to use your imagination for.
Robert

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Well not the Morag Tong guild or house Hlallu (could be spelt wrong but house Redoran and Telvanni were meant to be much stricter on who could join
Reanan-Marie Olsen

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:12 am

How come as a Khajiit I can just walk right in like I own the place and no one seems to have an issue with it?

Listen man, if I saw a person kill AND absorb the soul of a dragon, whether or not they are on my undesired list, I assure you this person, cat, lizard, or orc would have no problems from me.
NO suckers In Here

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 am

Simply, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation.
Andres Lechuga

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Well not the Morag Tong guild or house Hlallu (could be spelt wrong but house Redoran and Telvanni were meant to be much stricter on who could join

But didn't the Dunmer enslave the beast races at the time? Yet you could play an Argonian and walk around like a champion.

Like Exodiom Plus just posted - "Its nothing new".

The fact is that the main quest has always been primarily built around the default player. The additional race choice is just an Bethesda extra to add a greater depth to the game.
Ymani Hood

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Gameplay > realism.
Or because you are the dragonborn
Or because the others heard you survived helgen and helped whiterun
Or because bethesda ran out of time to take care of such details
Or because you actually have to use your imagination?
djimi

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:17 pm

or they meant plural so being one khajiit entering town then immediately start putting money in merchant pockets, or start helping people out you become a model example of what they want out of the race and none of what they fear till you rob or kill someone and get caught for it then they get crazy. I still think there could have been more done with this than there was though.
joseluis perez

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:04 pm

A case of realism is that I come from a traveller family and if I go in a pub I get no attention but if I turn up with a few of my cousins we become more obvious and people start to panic. It comes with stereotyping. People see travellers and instantly assume they are going to start fighting or cause problems as more drinks get sunk. Obvious there are cases where this happens but I'm not one of them. I still suffer the same stereotyping though. On my own I'm respected.
rebecca moody

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:22 pm

But didn't the Dunmer enslave the beast races at the time? Yet you could play an Argonian and walk around like a champion.

Well they enslaved everyone, mainly the beast races, but not all khajiit/Argonians were slaves, sorry I'm just being pedantic (once again could be spelt wrong) but Hlallu were closer to the imperials and more racially open than the other houses and the Morag Tong had plenty of non Dunmer members
Nicole Elocin

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:31 am

Well they enslaved everyone, mainly the beast races, but not all khajiit/Argonians were slaves, sorry I'm just being pedantic (once again could be spelt wrong) but Hlallu were closer to the imperials and more racially open than the other houses and the Morag Tong had plenty of non Dunmer members

I thought one of the main reasons for the Argonian invasion into Morrowind was part retaliation to the years many Argonians suffered at the hands of Dunmer racism and slavery. That is why i thought it clever the way TES lore has turned the oppressor into the oppressed.
Lizzie

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:13 pm

It does seem rather strange, I wish they would let the caravans in :/
JLG

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Listen man, if I saw a person kill AND absorb the soul of a dragon, whether or not they are on my undesired list, I assure you this person, cat, lizard, or orc would have no problems from me.

Doesnt really help when youre not doing the main quest, now does it?

No, this is just lazyness. No-one even reacts to you no matter what race you are.
Other races were obviously an afterthought.
There are barely any Khajit, Argonians, or even elves for that matter.
The game is meant to be full of Nords for that 'Conan' feel, so they screwed up their own lore.
Lore-wise, Skyrim has been a part of the Empire for a very long time and that is has less racial diversity than Morrowind (Which was only open for colonisation for 200 years) is a design decision that makes no sense and tramples on a great part of their own lore (racial diversity).
Courtney Foren

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Because it's a game and games are supposed to be fun. Yes, you might think that it lacks in realism but it's the first rule of gamedesign. Make it fun.
I find it more fun actually being able to get into my character.
Nick Swan

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:42 am

Simply, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation.
It's a role playing game. Part of the gameplay is the ability to roleplay the character you've made, something that's difficult to do when the game is just plain lazy about everything that isn't a Nord.
Isabell Hoffmann

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:01 am

Yes, I want a character where I cannot enter any of the cities, and thus not do the main quest. If I enter the mian cities as a Khajit, guards should come and kill me every time, because I am so hated.

Jesus, give it a rest you guys. At some point the game itself has to be playable.
Matt Bigelow

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:12 pm

The fact is that the main quest has always been primarily built around the default player. The additional race choice is just an Bethesda extra to add a greater depth to the game.
It being nothing new doesn't make it okay. It still svcks. And saying it adds "greater depth" to the game is a bit of a joke when it's handled with such lazyness it becomes practically just a cosmetic change.
Gameplay > realism.
Part of the gameplay is the ability to become immersed in the game, which is difficult to do when it's constantly contradicting itself and flat out ignoring the player.
Or because you are the dragonborn
Unless I haven't started the main quest.
Or because the others heard you survived helgen and helped whiterun
I don't see why they'd care about Helgen and I may not have helped Whiterun.
Or because bethesda ran out of time to take care of such details
Guess they should've spent their time more wisely then.
Or because you actually have to use your imagination?
The game's going to have to throw me some kind of bone for that to be viable. For as little as it gives me to work with I may as well not even bother playing it.
Sarah Bishop

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:51 pm

They don't let Khajiits in, not because they are Khajiit. They don't let them in because they think they are smugglers and skooma junkies. And i think if one single Khajiit is in a town, there is nothing to worry about. A Group of Khajiit would be much more dangerous. Also you say you want a "Lore" friendly game and want to marry a Khajiit what isn't lore friendly......what shall the developers do? A HALF lore friendly game? I think if it is lore friendly on your way, they would say "STOP right there criminal scum! No Khajiit, Argonian, Orc enters this town on MY watch!!"
Kate Norris

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Yes, I want a character where I cannot enter any of the cities, and thus not do the main quest. If I enter the mian cities as a Khajit, guards should come and kill me every time, because I am so hated.

Jesus, give it a rest you guys. At some point the game itself has to be playable.
Oh that's right, because there's no other options besides two extremes. I mean, it's not like they couldn't give a bit of dialogue and few extra quests for Khajiit and Argonians to prove themselves in order to provide a bit more believability for those playing as them, or at least write the lore in a way that this isn't a glaring issue. Nope, it's either they're allowed in A-OK, or not allowed in at all.
Tikarma Vodicka-McPherson

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:51 pm

They don't let Khajiits in, not because they are Khajiit. They don't let them in because they think they are smugglers and skooma junkies. And i think if one single Khajiit is in a town, there is nothing to worry about. A Group of Khajiit would be much more dangerous.
This would make sense except there's not a single Khajiit in any town.

Also you say you want a "Lore" friendly game and want to marry a Khajiit what isn't lore friendly......what shall the developers do? A HALF lore friendly game? I think if it is lore friendly on your way, they would say "STOP right there criminal scum! No Khajiit, Argonian, Orc enters this town on MY watch!!"
You pretty much stopped making sense here.
Motionsharp

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:45 pm

To be not welcomed is one thing. To be HATED is another one. And Khajiits are just not welcomed in towns, what does mean that a Guard would NOT run straight at the Khajiit and kill him. The way beth did it is already pretty good, Caravanes are outside, no beasts in the town and also you get named by your race "Don't make trouble Khajiit!"
Invasion's

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:54 pm

why not roleplay and pretend you have to wander the wilderness for the rest of your days
JD bernal

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Correct. Use your imagination that you are not allowed in the town, and don't go inside :smile: Think it would be a nice thing (short game) if you can't get any Quests. :biggrin:
John Moore

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:59 am

Because Ri'saad and his caravans are under suspicion, not -all- Khajiit. They see it as racism but probably has more to do with transporting illegal goods (have you looked at the potions and ingredients they sell?)
Queen Bitch

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:56 pm

This excuse doesn't work. You can still march into cities before finding out you are dragonborn.
vicki kitterman

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim