If Khajiit aren't allowed in the cities...

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Only the caravaners say they are not allowed in the cities, it isn't said or implied by anyone else.

I figure it means they aren't allowed to sell their wares in the cities, not that they are completely barred from entering.
Would be a good point.... but I haven't seen any Khajiit in any city
Connor Wing

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Because you're dragonborn.
I'm not kidding, I seriously think that's a legitimate excuse.
Not everyone knows you are Dragonborn. The Khajiit excuse is just weak.
Laura Tempel

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Would be a good point.... but I haven't seen any Khajiit in any city

Its said in many contexts that Khajit's are very racialy discriminated against so I assume they just proffere to steer clear of all that :) there more than welcome in Winterhold :)
Darlene DIllow

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Its said in many contexts that Khajit's are very racialy discriminated against so I assume they just proffere to steer clear of all that :smile: there more than welcome in Winterhold :smile:
Maybe so, but the Dunmer are racially discriminated against in Windhelm and yet they are living there.

There should be at least a few Khajiit willing to live in cities
mollypop

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:08 pm

This gave me an idea to role play a kahjiit that never goes to any town ever. # takes note #
Kayleigh Mcneil

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:51 am

Then you shouldn't be allowed into anyother cities UNTIL you do the quest with Whiterun. Same with Argonians in Windhelm.
If the Devs did that, they'd get b***ed at for penalizing beast race players, its a lose/lose so keep the lore of Nord xenophobia but let beast race players travel freely. Its simply really.
sarah

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:40 am

That are all so minor things...really... It would be a cool game if you run straight to Whiterun and see some Paper on the Gate "We have to wait outside!" with some pictures of Argonian, Khajiit, Darkelfes or other races.
http://drnorth.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/distrcit-9-sign1.jpg
Jamie Lee

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:03 am

The problem with blocking the PC Khajiit from the cities entirely is obvious, lack of gameplay.
The problem with the guards letting the Khajiit in willy-nilly is also obvious, lack of lore.

The solution is obvious. They could have added short quests for Khajiit characters that would allow them to get permission to enter the city. Favors for the Hold, for the guard, etc. Make detours, not roadblocks. it adds to Khajiit gameplay and fits the lore, more or less.

As for why the Khajiit PC is allowed in cities right now, it probably has something to do with the concept that maybe the guards saw you approaching the city seperate from the Khajiit caravans, meaning you're not with them as a skooma peddler, but as an adventurer. We know in Whiterun, you're allowed in because you either have news about the Helgen attack or are carrying a message from someone from Riverwood to send aid.

I also think the amount of dialogue with NPCs when Khajiit is quite pitiful, Ysolda in Whiterun for example has the same dialogue options, as though the Khajiit PC knows nothing about Khajiit. The devs should've given the dialogue more flavor, and when are they going to play on the racial emnity between Khajiit and Bosmer in the games, it's in the lore.
dell

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:17 am

the thing is, if they werent going to program NPCs to take note of this... why are the khajiit not allowed in cities in the first place? if they couldnt be bothered to program appropriate situations for khajiit characters, then why didnt ysolde instead say "the khajiit bring a lot of good trade and the people of whiterun trust them to walk around the city"?

THAT is why it is lazy. they introduce the concept and then dont follow up on it.
matt

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 pm

There is only one solution on the next TES no beast races, he'll no elf races either, also they should name my character for me because it adds more realism for people to know my name /sarcasm
Liii BLATES

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:56 am

The problem with blocking the PC Khajiit from the cities entirely is obvious, lack of gameplay.
The problem with the guards letting the Khajiit in willy-nilly is also obvious, lack of lore.

The solution is obvious. They could have added short quests for Khajiit characters that would allow them to get permission to enter the city. Favors for the Hold, for the guard, etc. Make detours, not roadblocks. it adds to Khajiit gameplay and fits the lore, more or less.

As for why the Khajiit PC is allowed in cities right now, it probably has something to do with the concept that maybe the guards saw you approaching the city seperate from the Khajiit caravans, meaning you're not with them as a skooma peddler, but as an adventurer. We know in Whiterun, you're allowed in because you either have news about the Helgen attack or are carrying a message from someone from Riverwood to send aid.

I also think the amount of dialogue with NPCs when Khajiit is quite pitiful, Ysolda in Whiterun for example has the same dialogue options, as though the Khajiit PC knows nothing about Khajiit. The devs should've given the dialogue more flavor, and when are they going to play on the racial emnity between Khajiit and Bosmer in the games, it's in the lore.
I agree with this, the highlighted bit especially would have been awesome
Rowena

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:31 pm

There is only one solution on the next TES no beast races, he'll no elf races either, also they should name my character for me because it adds more realism for people to know my name /sarcasm

Yea maybe a large meteor killed all beasts and elves.....could be lore too, or they all just disappered like the dwemer
Kanaoka

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:51 pm

It's so that you can buy the helms and shoes your race can somehow, inexplicably, now wear and enjoy. Remember, according to the new Bethesda, no player can be unhappy or limited in any way, ever!
ZzZz

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:01 pm

I also think the amount of dialogue with NPCs when Khajiit is quite pitiful, Ysolda in Whiterun for example has the same dialogue options, as though the Khajiit PC knows nothing about Khajiit.

There are SOME instances though of filtering dialogue. The argonian dockworkers have different greetings for argonians, non-khajiit have the option of asking the Khajiit caravan leader about his homeland (Whereas khajiit characters don't, presumably you know about your own homeland ;p).

Some dialogue is there for dummy-proofing. For example you can ask the imperial captains "Why the empire is even in skyrim", when anybody who's lived and been raised in Tamriel will know why the Empire is in Skyrim (It's always been there!), but they want to clear up that the Empire is not an invading force, but a now-unwelcome peacekeeping force that has always been there
roxxii lenaghan

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:47 am

Well they call my Character "Cat", "Khajiit" all the time, so the feeling is there that my Character is not a Nord.

That's not nearly enough for many players though, especially when there are older games that do this better. If you're happy with the way it is then that's perfectly fine, but can you understand why some people aren't? Making the races more unique in terms of distinct dialogue, advantages and drawbacks (high elves sometimes accused of being thalmor, argonians needing permission to enter Windhelm, the thalmor in Markarth recognizing if your character is a bosmer instead of explaining to you what a bosmer is etc) helps players feel like they're actually IN this world, living as one of these awesome races. As stated befofe, these differences should feel like detours, not roadblocks. Sometimes a certain race may come across a circumstance that hinders him slightly, but later will run across one that helps him. It's been done before. Heck, Bethesda has done similar things in other games. Why not here?
loste juliana

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:27 am

My Khajiit (cat burglar, hehe) is not welcome in any city except Riften, so questing in any city has become (somewhat of) a challenge again as i have refused to pay any bounty anywhere except Riften. It has turned a normally boring, repetitive game fun again......Bad kitty!
Taylah Haines

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Heck, Bethesda has done similar things in other games. Why not here?

Maybe because some Players complained about these things? If i read what people are complaining about, what was so highly wished for Oblivion "Bards in Taverns" now they can't sing, Children! Now they are annoying. So who wonders, that they left out things which could make the people upset?
Ashley Clifft

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Gameplay > realism.
Or because you are the dragonborn
Or because the others heard you survived helgen and helped whiterun
Or because bethesda ran out of time to take care of such details
Or because you actually have to use your imagination?

BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO USE MY IMAGINATION!

I want the game to hold my hand and tell me what to think!!!
Stacyia

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 am

I would agree with that....but there are no Khajiits in any city, leading me to think otherwise.

Maybe they don't want to be in the city because they're treated so harshly and called names, that they don't want to enter the cities. But of course, you don't care and enter the city anyways, even though everyone calls you "cat" and thinks you're going to steal things.

Basically, the Khajiit think they aren't wanted whatsoever, but aren't actually completely prevented from entering

I don't know, just trying to make sense of it. I think its just so the game will be fun for you, and not preventing you from accessing a majority of content just because of what kind of character you want to be.
Benjamin Holz

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 am

How come as a Khajiit I can just walk right in like I own the place and no one seems to have an issue with it?

Because the entire game would be unplayable as a Khajiit, perhaps?

Honestly this is not the smartest question I have ever seen
maria Dwyer

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:49 pm

If you talk to people on the Caravan they will tell you that the people are mean to them I wouldn't enter a Town where they are rude to me.
Robert Jackson

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:14 pm

The woman in town who asks for the mammoth tusk for the Khajiit caravan says that Khajiit aren't allowed in the city due to the Yarls decision, let alone to sell stuff in it.
lisa nuttall

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:03 pm

The only difference i have noticed is my Bosmer was constantly called a sneak thief, without ever having committed a crime.
Avril Louise

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Maybe because some Players complained about these things? If i read what people are complaining about, what was so highly wished for Oblivion "Bards in Taverns" now they can't sing, Children! Now they are annoying. So who wonders, that they left out things which could make the people upset?

I'm not sure people complained. Have you played Fallout 3? It's a great game. One of the cool things was that based on your character's history, karma (morality), skills (if you were skilled in mechanics you could set off an "inactive"'nuke in the middle of a town) and perks (which included things like cannibalism, cyborg, things that made you seductive to the opposite or same six etc) the dialogue changed quite a bit. It was never a game breaker, and every "hinderance" the player had storywise actually led to more content in the end, and several quests changed DRAMATICALLY depending on these aforementioned factors. It led to greater replayability, and more immersion because you felt like you were building a character's background and personality. Was it perfect? Heck no. Could it have gone farther? Heck yes, but Fallout was a step in the right direction, and since the game plays VERY much like the elder scrolls (except for the obvious difference in setting) many were expecting to see these features in Skyrim.
abi

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Yes but these features are making Fallout so Unique. Maybe they just don't want these features in TES. I think the only people who could answer that would be the devs and i don't think they will tell us why they left the Fallout stuff out of TES. All we can doo is guessing
Kill Bill

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim