If Khajiit aren't allowed in the cities...

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:18 pm

How come as a Khajiit I can just walk right in like I own the place and no one seems to have an issue with it?
JUan Martinez

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:07 pm

Because you're dragonborn.
I'm not kidding, I seriously think that's a legitimate excuse.
Jonathan Egan

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:39 pm

Because you're dragonborn.
I'm not kidding, I seriously think that's a legitimate excuse.

I have a game as a Khajiit and I haven't done any of the main quest, there is no way of anyone knowing I am Dragonborn.
Elea Rossi

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:38 pm

yes i found that aspect a bit weak yes there can be a hundred reasons why, but it still does not seem to fit just right I was actually expecting some difference in game play experience depending on the race I chose instead of abstract flavor.
Vickytoria Vasquez

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Because if playing as a khajiit stopped you entering the city it wouldn't be a very long game as one... In game you could say it's because your dragonborn and noone really wants to mess with you unless they have to
or maybe they just dont allow the trade caravans in due to the high numbers of khajiit maybe they dont mind one or two
Bad News Rogers

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Because if playing as a khajiit stopped you entering the city it wouldn't be a very long game as one... In game you could say it's because your dragonborn and noone really wants to mess with you unless they have to
or maybe they just dont allow the trade caravans in due to the high numbers of khajiit maybe they dont mind one or two

Then you shouldn't be allowed into anyother cities UNTIL you do the quest with Whiterun. Same with Argonians in Windhelm.
Verity Hurding

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 pm

It's just laziness. Aside from a few exceptions, everyone treats you the same as if you were a Nord.
Unstoppable Judge

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Because it's a game and games are supposed to be fun. Yes, you might think that it lacks in realism but it's the first rule of gamedesign. Make it fun.

It's just laziness.

That is just ignorant.
JD bernal

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:38 am

Because it's a game and games are supposed to be fun. Yes, you might think that it lacks in realism but it's the first rule of gamedesign. Make it fun.

I find fun in respecting lore and obvious world settings (which are stated to the player directly). Not that I care too much about this anyway as (despite my avatar) I never play khajiit.
GabiiE Liiziiouz

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Well, Bethesda could have made it so that choosing a Khajiit means that you have to prove yourself, in some way, before being accepted into each hold. I don't think you should be forced to play the main quest at the beginning, just maybe you have to do a personal favor for the Jarl of each hold (and for the love of Talos, make those quests unique!!).
sexy zara

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:26 am

I'm surprised they let a dragonborn khajitt in, as well. i hear they still like to lick their butts.
Ludivine Poussineau

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 am

Because if they didnt...the forums would be flooded with posts of "I can't play this game as a khajiit....It's borken!1!!1!!!!"
Melissa De Thomasis

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:57 pm

That is just ignorant.

Laziness or path of least resistance...whichever you prefer. If they had accounted for other races, it would have potentially required more money/voices/scripting/ etc to be created and tailored to very specific conditions, that not everyone would ever see. It's easier to not take such variables into account, than it is to give it depth and meaning.
Eire Charlotta

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:58 pm

Then you shouldn't be allowed into anyother cities UNTIL you do the quest with Whiterun. Same with Argonians in Windhelm.

Ok I realise it makes no sense as far as lore goes and is one of the reasons I no longer play as a khajiit I was just trying to give a possible reason
Gwen

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:55 pm

I hope in the Elsweyr DLC, we get to see stinky Nords camping at the city gates.
Kieren Thomson

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:13 pm

I find fun in respecting lore and obvious world settings (which are stated to the player directly). Not that I care too much about this anyway as (despite my avatar) I never play khajiit.

Yes, you do. And I do as well. And surely several others. But the majority of players would be WTF? I wish they would have "respected" the lore more but I can live with it. After all, it's just a game.

Because if they didnt...the forums would be flooded with posts of "I can't play this game as a khajiit....It's borken!1!!1!!!!"

Sad but probably true.
BlackaneseB

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Only the caravaners say they are not allowed in the cities, it isn't said or implied by anyone else.

I figure it means they aren't allowed to sell their wares in the cities, not that they are completely barred from entering.
phil walsh

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:53 pm

If you think back to the game then you'll remember that you needed an excuse or a persuasion to be let into Whiterun by the city guards. That is obviously the case for anyone who wishes to enter a city.

If you remember back then they also kicked the Hammerfell Redguards (searching for the hiding Redguard woman) out of Whiterun. Yet there are Redguard who are living happily in Whiterun. One is even a companion of the Yarl.

I'm guessing its a political thing. They don't let Khajiit traders through the city gates as their want to sell goods isn't seen as an acceptable reason to be let in. They would be competition for the local shops trying to make a living so they have to stay outside and sell their wares.

Could even be a tax issue if the shop in cities have to pay a tax to the Jarl.
daniel royle

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 am

It's pretty lame that your race choice have no influence at all........ exept guards that call me 'cat, lizard or elf'. Ha and maybe a one time little change during the main quest.

Pretty lame that a guy who hate argonians have no problem with me when i play an argonien. Pretty lame that even khajiit merchant don't see me as a fellow khajiit...... and give me a history lesson as if i was an outsider.

No race-related quest and stories is lame, they push the concept of every one able to do everything too far.
Roisan Sweeney

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 pm

If you remember back then they also kicked the Hammerfell Redguards (searching for the hiding Redguard woman) out of Whiterun. Yet there are Redguard who are living happily in Whiterun. One is even a companion of the Yarl.

They kicked them out because of an incident that one of them caused (won't say because it's a spoiler), not because they were redguards. Sorry, I just had to clarify that.
Lily

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:59 am

Only the caravaners say they are not allowed in the cities, it isn't said or implied by anyone else.

I figure it means they aren't allowed to sell their wares in the cities, not that they are completely barred from entering.
Indeed. A single Khajiit is harmless, an organised group is not.
Ann Church

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:34 pm

It's pretty lame that your race choice have no influence at all........ exept guards that call me 'cat, lizard or elf'. Ha ans maybe a one time little change during the main quest.

Pretty lame that a guy who hate argonians have no problem with me when i play an argonien. Pretty lame that even khajiit merchant don't see me as a fellow khajiit...... and give me a history lesson as if i was an outsider.

No race-related quest and stories is lame, they push the concept of every one able to do everything too far.

The best answer is to play as the default character as that is what the story line is always based upon. The same was with Morrowind and the same was with Oblivion. I'm guessing it was the same with previous TES games.

The option to play as a a different race is just an added bonus that Bethesda write into the games to add depth for those that want this option. Its hardly something I'd complain about but rather be thankful of. They can't make everything possible or the game will never hit the shelves as it'll take too long to achieve.

They kicked them out because of an incident that one of them caused (won't say because it's a spoiler), not because they were redguards. Sorry, I just had to clarify that.

I agree. I'm sure the same type of thing is with the Khajiit traders. Its much like the way a band of Gypsies that turn up in a town are treated. I'm sure if a single Gypsy passed through he /she would be noted.
Channing

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:34 am

Plus, these weren't any Redguard civilians but Alik'r warriors/assassins.
Jodie Bardgett

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:03 pm

I would agree with that....but there are no Khajiits in any city, leading me to think otherwise.
leni

Post » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 am

To be honest, I'm more annoyed by how indifferent Windhelm is to non Nords. That one, really has no excuse aside from they just didn't care.
Invasion's

Next

Return to V - Skyrim