[RELz] Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics 2.0

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 am

The installation instructions/Readme of the Morrowind Overhaul should state in big fat red letters that people should not install Morrowind or any of their games (or Steam) in program files, if it doesn't already. That alone prevents so many issues.
patricia kris

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 1:37 am

Or disable uac, then reboot the computer and reinstall mgso.
Once you did that, you can re-enable uac and play.

Sorry, Kingpix, disabling UAC doesn't change the fact that MGE (and by extension, the internal MWSE) won't work inside the Program Files directory on Windows 7 without the proper permissions.
Richus Dude

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 3:50 am

Are you sure, Elaura?
Because I tried myself a month or so ago and it worked fine. Anyway yes,the best solution is always install it outside the program files folder.
xx_Jess_xx

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 9:53 am

Kingpix => .... don't forget me, please ^^

p.s: i'm currently in the process of improving the textures of Bloodmoon.
I have already made new textures for the icelayer meshe with transparency (like the vanilla ones, thing that many modder seems to have forget in their mod of retextures for Solstheim :blush: ).
And I went to download all the snow textures mod on Skyrimnexus :tongue: for pick up what I need (but with the authorization of course).
Brandi Norton

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 1:35 am

Hi everyone,

after playing Skyrim my interest in Morrowind resurrected^^

I found an article of this amazing mod on a german gamer site and have 2 questions before installing:

- Is the general and combat animation of the character and npc changed? vanilla animations are indeed "old".

- my second question is about localization. i read in the faq that there is a tool for the german version. has anyone experiences with that yet and is the result ok?
chloe hampson

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 4:12 am

Kingpix, unless Microsoft fixed the issue on some versions of Windows 7 64-bit, if someone is having issues with "getting it to work", there's almost no point in starting to troubleshoot if the game is inside the Program Files directory. Turning off UAC may allow the installer to work, but it still won't allow MGE/MWSE to alter files inside the directory.

However, I have heard whisperings of people who installed Morrowind into the default directory with every third party program under the sun and everything worked just fine . . . but none of these people have actually given any specifics as to what their settings were, what version of Windows 7 they're using, default language, etc.

I have discovered that on (mine and Jac's) Windows 7 64-bit home premium machines (we have three of different ages), that if you install your games outside the Program Files (86) or Program Files directories, having UAC on doesn't prevent anything from working, it is just causes a nuisance pop-up message asking if you're sure you want to do this? Also, one should only run programs as administrator, if they absolutely require it. Those programs will let you know during install if you have to and then it's up to you to decide if that particular program is safe enough to be allowed that privilege.

And then there are those people who feel comfortable changing the permissions of system folders. Since this is as dangerous as editing the registry, I don't recommend it on open forums at all, but information on this process is certainly available on google.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but in my experience keeping older games out of the system directories eliminates at least one possibility from the beginning and as povuholo said, "That alone prevents so many issues."
CHARLODDE

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 12:47 am

Yes, I know, in fact it's written in big red into the readme :biggrin:

Papill6n, I'm not forgetting you! I promise :tongue:

@VitaminK:
Animations are a little improved, yes.
About the localization: can't say, but I assume it doesn't work very well. The best is an english copy, obviously. :)
Brandi Norton

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 7:02 am

StuartD MFC,

I see you are running 64 bit Windows 7 or Vista. The issue is most likely that windows doesn't allow one program to write to another program inside the Program Files or Program Files (86) directory.

Reinstalling Morrowind won't work as long as Steam is installed in one of those directories. You will need to start by installing STEAM in a user defined directory, mine is E:\Gaming\Steam. If this is not possible, then the issue can still be resolved by altering permissions for that system directory, but that is best done by one with more experience than I, so I'm not even going to attempt to explain that process.

Unless you have experience editing the registry, you will need to uninstall Steam. If you are comfortable editing your registry, you can just cut and paste or move the directory, but since this can also be complicated and dangerous, I'm not going to explain this process either.

The safest way for you to start this process over would be to uninstall and reinstall Steam. Until you do this, *most* third party programs such as MGE, MCP and MWSE, will not be able to alter the files they need to to work.

To uninstall and reinstall Steam:
  • Move the steamapps directory to a completely different directory, Desktop will work.
  • Uninstall Steam completely.
  • Delete the Steam Folder
  • Reinstall Steam to a directory you have made *OUTSIDE* of Program Files or Program Files (86)
  • Run Steam and close it without logging in.
  • Move steamapps back into the new Steam directory.
  • Open Steam and log in.

For Morrowind and MGSO:
  • Do a clean install of Morrowind up to the latest Bloodmoon patch.
  • Start the game to make sure it plays and close it.
  • Restart the MGSO installer.
Good Luck!

I followed these directions to combat the Program Files problem. However, upon reinstalling Steam into a separate directory and Morrowind several times, the game still crashes upon installing Morrwowind Overhaul- Sounds and Graphics. I am dumbfounded of what I am doing wrong.

Here is what my process went like-
I moved the Steamapps directory onto my Desktop.
I uninstalled Steam and deleted any Morrowind files to ensure a clean install when I got Steam working again.
I reinstall Steam into this directory:C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Steam (I also tried the Desktop in one of my installation attempts)
I reinstall Steam and all of that stuff, and open it up and close it.
I move the Steamapps folder back into the Steam folder.
I then open Steam up again and log in.
I do a clean installation of Morrowind.
After the installation is successful, II boot up Morrowind.
It then asked me if I wanted to download the Morrowind cloud files or upload it from my computer (I chose upload)
Vanilla Morrowind works perfectly.
I reinstall Morrowind Overhaul and it pretty much seems to install correctly (though on the distant land generator of MGE, it says there are 23 warnings)
I boot up Morrowind and it crashes like has in the past

What did I do wrong in the installation?
Adam Kriner

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 6:50 am

Don't know if it could be this, but I would use a completely new folder.
I install all my non-steam games in a new folder called Games in C:\
Steam itself has his own folder is installed C:\Games
I even install my applications in a new folder C:\Software
The less you use system-created folders, the better.
Natalie Harvey

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Yeah, sorry joseph, but Mus is right. C:\Users\Joseph\Documents is still a system directory with the same permissions issue.
xxLindsAffec

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 3:41 am

Is this directory not safe either?-C:\Games\Steam

I seriously would like to know how to make a real safe directory. I reinstalled Steam and Morrwoind multiple times and it continues to crash after the installation of Morrowind Overhaul
Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 4:02 am

It should be OK. I have my retail Morrowind installed on C:\Games\Morrowind and my Morrowind Rebirth + Morrowind Games and Sound Overhaul setup work just fine!
(Unplayble FPS, though... :()
Jinx Sykes

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 10:15 am

It seems the links for the installation guide and mod list on the MOSG website are dead. Is it just me?

Cheers
Marine x

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 1:44 am

It seems the links for the installation guide and mod list on the MOSG website are dead. Is it just me?

Cheers
They work fine for me!
RaeAnne

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 2:58 am

Is this directory not safe either?-C:\Games\Steam

I seriously would like to know how to make a real safe directory. I reinstalled Steam and Morrwoind multiple times and it continues to crash after the installation of Morrowind Overhaul
That's not a system directory, so it's safe.

System directories are:

C:\Users
C:\Program Files (x86)
C:\Program Files
C:\Documents and Settings
C:\Windows

Stay away from any of those directories and you should be fine.
:)Colleenn

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Untamed, what is the address of the site you are looking at? All the correct URLs are in the first post of this thread.
FITTAS

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 4:32 am

Is it possible something else is wrong? I am using that directory (C:\Games\Steam) and I still face the same problem with the crashes upon start-up at the splash screens. Am I just somehow installing either Steam, Morrowind, or the Overhaul incorrectly? I have uninstalled and reinstalled Morrowind both before and after the Steam reinstall sessions. I have reinstalled Morrwoind Overhaul upon several clean installations and by reusing a vanilla Morrowind file after the Overhaul failed to install.
Chelsea Head

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 12:56 am

Have you actually been able to play Morrowind *before* installing the Overhaul?
Jerry Cox

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 4:13 am

Working fine for me now, at home.

I was trying to view them on my work computer when I made previous post. It shouldn't have mattered though, as I deal with plenty of web based PDF files for the course of my job, these ones just refused to load at the time.

Oh well, sorted now!

Cheers :)
Jah Allen

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 6:55 pm

If I'm currently using the MGSO v1.0 pack with no other mods is it still advisable to do a re-installation and start on a clean version? Also it's been a while since I downloaded the first version, as far as the files and programs I need (Net framework, c++, etc) is it the same things that version 1 used? Or do I need to install more new programs on top of what I had for version 1?
Jennifer Rose

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 7:36 pm

Have you actually been able to play Morrowind *before* installing the Overhaul?
Yeah, vanilla Morrowind works perfectly, I made it a point to try Morrowind every time I do a clean installation before I attempt another Overhaul install.
cassy

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 3:11 am

Okay, next time you install the Overhaul, on the last page of the MGSO Options, check the box beside NO MGE and then try to run the game.
Breanna Van Dijk

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 7:54 pm

The game works perfectly with the Overhaul installed if I uncheck MGE.
Darlene DIllow

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Okay, that's a great start. It is possible your graphics card has trouble with some of the default settings. Run the MGSO Options.exe again and try installing the 3.0b stable version of MGE.
SUck MYdIck

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 12:49 am

The 3.0b stable version of MGE does indeed allow the game to work. Should I continue going up the list of MGE options to test which works and what doesn't?
A Lo RIkIton'ton

PreviousNext

Return to III - Morrowind