[RELz] Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics 2.0

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 5:14 am

Also, a suggestion or two, if I might:

I have a high performance machine similar to your top-rated slider machine, but I found the MGE XE options kinda... inadequate? There's SO MUCH more pretty to be had.

A couple things I did to make an even bigger visual difference with little performance impact:

Performance Increases:
1. AF from 16x to 8x (no visual difference, performance increase)
2. Caustics from 80 (!) to 35 (looks more realistic, might save a frame or two)
3. Draw Distance from 20 (!) to 9 cells. (you can't normally see past 12 cells normally anyway, and 9 is a nice performance compromise for the following...)

Visual Quality Increases:
1. Fog mode from Depth Pixel to Range Vertex (very little performance ding, noticeable improved fog quality)
2. Distant Statics- Near [100] end [2.5]; Far [400] end [5]; Very Far [600] end [9] (Big difference in in-game shadows, density. Fairly large FPS hit. Distance past statics is pointless.)
3. Fog- Start [1] end [8.9]

Misc
1. Checked Responsive menu caching
2. Allow screenshots check is pointless with MGE's screenshot capability. I unchecked it.

Maybe useful for an ultra-high setting? The Performance increases, in any case, could help some of those guys on the border with the high-end slider setting.

edit:

I figured I better post my machine so you can compare.

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz
VGA: GTX570 @ 870/ 1975
RAM: 8Gb DDR3
HDD: Samsung 470 SSD

I am getting 25-50 FPS with about 100 additional mods and a pretty heavy MGSO install.

I just added your settings works well for me. Thanks for the tips. Incidentally...I couldn't find the fog setting?
>>>>THIS: Fog mode from Depth Pixel to Range Vertex (very little performance ding, noticeable improved fog quality)

Also I'd like to pull in the fog distance a bit seeing Vivec from Seyda Neen makes it look kind of small. Suggestions what to alter.

Thanks in advance!
Kelly Osbourne Kelly

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 2:28 am

I just added your settings works well for me. Thanks for the tips. Incidentally...I couldn't find the fog setting?
>>>>THIS: Fog mode from Depth Pixel to Range Vertex (very little performance ding, noticeable improved fog quality)

Also I'd like to pull in the fog distance a bit seeing Vivec from Seyda Neen makes it look kind of small. Suggestions what to alter.

Thanks in advance!
Fog Mode is in the first tab (Graphics). To pull in fog range look under the second tab (Distant Land), uncheck ""Auto set other distances" on the upper right and manually set Start and End in the "Fog" box. I'm using 1.0-8.9 (Above), -.05-.45 (Below), 0-2 (Interiors).

If you still have performance to burn, you can add underwater effects and underwater effects (interiors) to your shader chain.

One other note for KINGPIX: The FPS limiter can be safely (and most effectively) set to 60.
Phillip Hamilton

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 12:01 am

Precisely. That's also why you don't want to log in the first time you open it.

whenever i try to put it on desktop it says its already open :/ i guess ill need to copy it and delete the one in the steam folder, would that work?
Micah Judaeah

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 6:44 pm

FIrst of all, make sure Steam isn't set to run when you start windows. It needs to be completely off. The you should be able to cut and paste the steamapps directory anywhere you want.
The Time Car

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 pm

FIrst of all, make sure Steam isn't set to run when you start windows. It needs to be completely off. The you should be able to cut and paste the steamapps directory anywhere you want.

do you mean the auto-installer? or the very first setup thing?

EDIT: i done everything you said and it didn't work

EDIT2: i can play it with original graphics using the steam browser, but when i try to use the overhaul launcher, it still says it cannot find the executable file. I think i need to do it all over again, but i cant find something to uninstall everything associated with the overhaul mod.
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 6:37 am

I haven't played Morrowind for years, but this looks amazing! Is there a list somewhere of mods which are/aren't compatible with Morrowind Overhaul (Like Morrowind Comes Alive, can I use both at the same time?)
Lucky Boy

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 pm

I have a deployment coming up and this has just given me a good reason to dig up my copy of morrowind! Thanks to everybody that made this possible!

Shoutout to fellow military members! Stay safe on your deployment.
GabiiE Liiziiouz

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 am

I haven't played Morrowind for years, but this looks amazing! Is there a list somewhere of mods which are/aren't compatible with Morrowind Overhaul (Like Morrowind Comes Alive, can I use both at the same time?)
It should be compatible with anything that adds anything new like NPCs, dialog, quests, etc. It will more than likely conflict with anything that replaces something that's already in the game, like body replacers (MGSO uses Better Bodies), wood texture replacers, etc. What I recommend is to install the package, then install any mods that add things you like, like MCA, then play for a bit. If you find something that's not replaced or that you don't like the replacement for, find a mod that specifically targets that aspect (e.g. a book jacket replacer). MGSO is a good base to start replacing the various graphical aspects of Morrowind.
Kaylee Campbell

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 8:06 am

Heh. Small, amusing observation: some of the splash screens replace the vanilla ones with French screens. Not drastically terrible, but noticeable and immersion-breaking ;)
Hannah Barnard

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Yep, already known.
Will be fixed in an auto update.
Lovingly

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 am

Yep, already known.
Will be fixed in an auto update.
Awesome. Thanks :)
Shelby McDonald

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 am

Personally I find those splash screens to be hideous to look at (no offense to the original creators, but the ultra-low polycount creatures of MW have not aged well at all). They are the last thing I want to be staring at while the game loads.

I much prefer this mod: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7869
Euan

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 6:46 am

I'll do some dedicated splashes to Morrowind Overhaul, anyway.
loste juliana

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 4:55 am

Heh. Small, amusing observation: some of the splash screens replace the vanilla ones with French screens. Not drastically terrible, but noticeable and immersion-breaking :wink:

Splash screens break immersion? That's . . . interesting. :D

Oh, Slartibarfast just released an update for the Bloodmoon overhaul, can you think of any reason this won't go well with MGSO?
Christina Trayler

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 10:45 pm

Oh, Slartibarfast just released an update for the Bloodmoon overhaul, can you think of any reason this won't go well with MGSO?
Yeah I know, that will be included in a new auto-update!
Svenja Hedrich

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 10:45 pm

Fantastic! Then I won't d/l it separately.
Nancy RIP

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 6:20 am

Splash screens break immersion? That's . . . interesting. :biggrin:

What can I say... I'm hardcoe :mohawk: :tongue:
Brittany Abner

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Fiddled around with MGE XE settings again today, as I am, apparently, never satisfied. The thing that bugged me most about the current setup was in-texture aliasing. I had been running 16x Q CSAA + 8x TSAA to combat the jaggies, but noticed most of them weren't going away...

Anywho, after switching negative LOD bias to 0 (from -1), and AF to 8x (from 16x), I am able to play with 8x CSAA and 4x TSAA with higher visual fidelity, fewer noticeable jaggies and enough of a performance boost to comfortably push distant land from 9 cells to 12. Might be worthwhile to at least revisit the Negative LOD default. :)
Emma Copeland

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 6:32 am

The negative LOD results in aliasing only in some resolutions/specific configurations.
In the others it can be a cool quality improvement (like in my case).
Code Affinity

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 10:42 am

The negative LOD results in aliasing only in some resolutions/specific configurations.
In the others it can be a cool quality improvement (like in my case).
Cool. just wanted to make sure you are aware. For me, Ald'rhun is unbearably aliased. 1680x1050 must be one of those resolutions :)
Jessica Thomson

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 1:23 am

My installation seems to go all right throughout most of the auto-installing. However, once I reach the MGE part where it generates the distant terrain, it says there are 23 warnings at the bottom at the very end of the installation. The install guide says it is finished and all of that stuff. Whenever I try to access Morrowind, I will reach the splash screen and then the game will crash after a second and return me to my desktop. Eventually, the game just goes black when I start it up and crashes after a few seconds to the desktop. This problem seems to be related to MGE as when I disable MGE in-game, Morrowind works, but without all of the fancy effects that MGE brings. How do I go about fixing it where MGE can work properly and the game can successfully go on past the title screen without crashing?
Brentleah Jeffs

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Please help someone!
i have been trying to unpack this thing after downloading and reldownloading morrowind.

This is a steam version and i cannot seem to unzip the right installer....

I know there are 4 files, but my computer is telling me that its failing because 4rar. is broken.

Is there a specific .rar i should use and is there a certain step i am missing?

anything help will be appreciated as i have been working on at least 10 hours easy.
naome duncan

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 4:18 am

The video right before Jiub wakes me up, the introductory one, does not work... I figure no video will work...
A green screen appears instead, with some black signs too...

What can I do?

They're important for the main quest, so I would not want to play without them.
Everardo Montano

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 9:54 am

Installed successfully and Mge XE running.
I have a question about water. It has no foam?
Darren Chandler

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 am

any chance of something so that you can start over from the very beggining?
Charleigh Anderson

PreviousNext

Return to III - Morrowind