[RELz] Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics 2.0

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 am

The update did wonders for my performance esp. near water, thank you.

Only issue I have really is how dark nights and caves are. I get that ultra-realism has upsides but having to crank up the gamma to play is SO 1999. :D Is there a more elegant way to mostly disable this part of the package?
DarkGypsy

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Change the lightning option in MGSO Options programm ;)
Ella Loapaga

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 8:03 pm

i followed to vid upto step 22, and when i play the game now, it doesnt have the upgraded graphics.

EDIT: just tried to run the game through the launcher, and i got Render Creation Error: ""

EDIT2: would it be possible to create an un-installer? to remove everything associated with the Morrowind Overhaul, so that people could re-install it from scratch?
Laura Tempel

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 am

It has an uninstaller, doesn't it? Run the Installer again and select automatic. If you can get far enough in, there is an uninstall option.

If your computer can't run the installer, then that's where you need to start troubleshooting.

Is anyone else getting stuck with the Auto Updater on "Trying to connect to server . . ." ??
Kelvin

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Elaura do you have updated the auto-updater? http://morrowindoverhaul.rpgitalia.net/news/update-2-0-1-the-first-one
Chris Guerin

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 4:49 am

I don't think I do. Thanks, papillon!

EDIT: Oops, a little miscommunication there. I thought you meant the auto-updater had been updated. I knew there was an update, papillon, I just couldn't connect using the auto-updater for a little while. It's working now. Thanks, though.

EDIT 2: DOwnloaded and installed correctly. I did have a warning generating distant land:

Non-fatal error in ParseFileForCells("e:\gaming\secondary installs\morrowind with mgso\data files\poorly placed object fix.esm"): Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key

EDIT 3: Also, was the MGE XE update installed? I'm still seeing version number 0.9 Nevermind. The log says it's 0.9.4; it updated. Now I'm off to figure out why I have no grass.

EDIT 4: No grass because the grass mods weren't in the list when MGE generated distant land, even though they were selected in the MGSOO. Is this something I did wrong? I know how to regenerate DL with the grass; I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw up the auto-installer somehow.
Astargoth Rockin' Design

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 am

I can play morrowind through Steams launcher, but without the graphics, whenever i try to play it through Overhauls launcher it says it cant find the Morrowind game executable. And that i need to reinstall Morrowind, i've re-installed morrowind 3 times now.

EDIT: when i use the automatic installer, it doesnt let me get past the slider, where you put in what kind of PC you have. It comes up an error message saying error: subscript with non-Array variable
Rik Douglas

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 10:03 pm

KINGPIX, after applying that new shader you posted, I am getting a solid 30 FPS outdoors by water. Thanks!
willow

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 pm

EDIT 4: No grass because the grass mods weren't in the list when MGE generated distant land, even though they were selected in the MGSOO. Is this something I did wrong? I know how to regenerate DL with the grass; I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw up the auto-installer somehow.
Is there a ini entry in MGE.ini like this?

[DLWizard Plugin Dirs]
\morrowind\data files\grass

If not during the distant creation wizard land select that directory.

I can play morrowind through Steams launcher, but without the graphics, whenever i try to play it through Overhauls launcher it says it cant find the Morrowind game executable. And that i need to reinstall Morrowind, i've re-installed morrowind 3 times now.

EDIT: when i use the automatic installer, it doesnt let me get past the slider, where you put in what kind of PC you have. It comes up an error message saying error: subscript with non-Array variable
Try to disable UAC during the installation process.
Christine Pane

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 5:11 am

OMG stop it! Now I have to install Morrowind again! Was thinking about it anyway, but Skyrim keeps me so busy! LOL I must check this out this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynette Wilson

Post » Mon May 07, 2012 8:09 pm

[DLWizard Plugin Dirs]

will disabling the UAC affect your computer in any major ways?
Vicki Blondie

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 4:58 am

will disabling the UAC affect your computer in any major ways?
I don't think so, it's not dangerous.
You could also re-enable it after the installation.
Agnieszka Bak

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 9:33 am

Or run the installer as an administrator. UAC is designed to keep malware and other unwanted programs from automatically installing themselves or gaining access to system resources. I would leave it on unless it's absolutely necessary to turn it off to install a program. Afterwards, I would turn it back on.
Tyler F

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 8:07 am

I don't think so, it's not dangerous.
You could also re-enable it after the installation.

Or run the installer as an administrator. UAC is designed to keep malware and other unwanted programs from automatically installing themselves or gaining access to system resources. I would leave it on unless it's absolutely necessary to turn it off to install a program. Afterwards, I would turn it back on.

Tried to run it as Administrator, didn't work. Same Error messsage, ill disable UAC and try that out.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 1:50 am

Sadly running as admin the installer sometiems doesn't work.
Anyway could you please make me a screenshot of your morrowind folder, Stuartd?
jennie xhx

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 11:22 am

I mentioned this on the Overhaul website, but thought it might be useful to have here as well.

The Auto Updater stops at "Connected!" for me. It doesn't freeze or timeout, just stops. I'm running it with UAC disabled, and connectivity seems A-OK. Any ideas to get it running, or maybe a raw dump of updated assets?
Fluffer

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 6:50 am

Sadly running as admin the installer sometiems doesn't work.
Anyway could you please make me a screenshot of your morrowind folder, Stuartd?

How do i get the picture on here?

I disabled the UAC, got the same erro message.

http://yfrog.com/z/nv6kyp there yah go
Deon Knight

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 9:18 am

Okay, when I said everything was working, I guess I spoke too soon. The installer works perfectly, but now whenever I try to load a game or start a new game, the game crashes without explaination. I unchecked all the mods just to experiment, but I get the same error. All the archives are registered, I can only assume it is an error with the code patch or exe optimizer because I tried to run the game w/o MGE but I got the same error.

My game was perfect before 2.0. I have a SM 3.0 graphics card so that shouldn't be the problem.
Cedric Pearson

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 2:41 am

I got the autoupdater working with a re-install of the proper architecture (x86_64) JRE Offline from this page: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html#javasejdk

The linked JRE did not work for me.
Harry Leon

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 4:42 am

Also, a suggestion or two, if I might:

I have a high performance machine similar to your top-rated slider machine, but I found the MGE XE options kinda... inadequate? There's SO MUCH more pretty to be had.

A couple things I did to make an even bigger visual difference with little performance impact:

Performance Increases:
1. AF from 16x to 8x (no visual difference, performance increase)
2. Caustics from 80 (!) to 35 (looks more realistic, might save a frame or two)
3. Draw Distance from 20 (!) to 9 cells. (you can't normally see past 12 cells normally anyway, and 9 is a nice performance compromise for the following...)

Visual Quality Increases:
1. Fog mode from Depth Pixel to Range Vertex (very little performance ding, noticeable improved fog quality)
2. Distant Statics- Near [100] end [2.5]; Far [400] end [5]; Very Far [600] end [9] (Big difference in in-game shadows, density. Fairly large FPS hit. Distance past statics is pointless.)
3. Fog- Start [1] end [8.9]

Misc
1. Checked Responsive menu caching
2. Allow screenshots check is pointless with MGE's screenshot capability. I unchecked it.

Maybe useful for an ultra-high setting? The Performance increases, in any case, could help some of those guys on the border with the high-end slider setting.

edit:

I figured I better post my machine so you can compare.

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz
VGA: GTX570 @ 870/ 1975
RAM: 8Gb DDR3
HDD: Samsung 470 SSD

I am getting 25-50 FPS with about 100 additional mods and a pretty heavy MGSO install.
Del Arte

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 5:04 am

[DLWizard Plugin Dirs]

Thank you. That was exactly the issue. The grass directory was not listed in the MGE.ini.
le GraiN

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 5:29 am

StuartD MFC,

I see you are running 64 bit Windows 7 or Vista. The issue is most likely that windows doesn't allow one program to write to another program inside the Program Files or Program Files (86) directory.

Reinstalling Morrowind won't work as long as Steam is installed in one of those directories. You will need to start by installing STEAM in a user defined directory, mine is E:\Gaming\Steam. If this is not possible, then the issue can still be resolved by altering permissions for that system directory, but that is best done by one with more experience than I, so I'm not even going to attempt to explain that process.

Unless you have experience editing the registry, you will need to uninstall Steam. If you are comfortable editing your registry, you can just cut and paste or move the directory, but since this can also be complicated and dangerous, I'm not going to explain this process either.

The safest way for you to start this process over would be to uninstall and reinstall Steam. Until you do this, *most* third party programs such as MGE, MCP and MWSE, will not be able to alter the files they need to to work.

To uninstall and reinstall Steam:
  • Move the steamapps directory to a completely different directory, Desktop will work.
  • Uninstall Steam completely.
  • Delete the Steam Folder
  • Reinstall Steam to a directory you have made *OUTSIDE* of Program Files or Program Files (86)
  • Run Steam and close it without logging in.
  • Move steamapps back into the new Steam directory.
  • Open Steam and log in.

For Morrowind and MGSO:
  • Do a clean install of Morrowind up to the latest Bloodmoon patch.
  • Start the game to make sure it plays and close it.
  • Restart the MGSO installer.

Good Luck!
Samantha Wood

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 2:25 am

So five hours in I'm still goofing around the newbie village (bear with me, first Morrowind playthrough :biggrin: )... Still looking for the taxman and killing giant mudcrabs :tongue: Gawd 5 Athletics is slow... but I digress...

And I'm having an odd issue with Arville's (sp?) Tradehouse. The shop, with the bar upstairs.

Though my performance is amazing everywhere since the patch, my loading times to get into that tradehouse have suddently skyrocketed into the stratosphere. I dont know why but I can barely get in anymore :(

It just loads and loads and after several MINUTES lets me in, instead of the 1 to 1.5 seconds it takes for any other loading screen. I have this on a SSD drive too, loadings are supposed to be super smooth. Also when inside my FPS plummet from my usual 60 in interiors (40-45 outdoors) to 7-14 which is horrible. Somethings going on.

Any ideas?

Another totally unrelated question: I have Sneak in my minor skils but ive yet to manage to increase it by 1% or stealth at all. I'm pressing the sneak toggle and my character crouches... but even if I hide at a fair distance from stuff I dont see the 'Sneak Icon'. Is this 'hidden' by this mod? If not, what am I doing wrong? Is it because I'm using the 'Oblivion crosshair'?
Stacey Mason

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 am

StuartD MFC,

I see you are running 64 bit Windows 7 or Vista. The issue is most likely that windows doesn't allow one program to write to another program inside the Program Files or Program Files (86) directory.

Reinstalling Morrowind won't work as long as Steam is installed in one of those directories. You will need to start by installing STEAM in a user defined directory, mine is E:\Gaming\Steam. If this is not possible, then the issue can still be resolved by altering permissions for that system directory, but that is best done by one with more experience than I, so I'm not even going to attempt to explain that process.

Unless you have experience editing the registry, you will need to uninstall Steam. If you are comfortable editing your registry, you can just cut and paste or move the directory, but since this can also be complicated and dangerous, I'm not going to explain this process either.

The safest way for you to start this process over would be to uninstall and reinstall Steam. Until you do this, *most* third party programs such as MGE, MCP and MWSE, will not be able to alter the files they need to to work.

To uninstall and reinstall Steam:
  • Move the steamapps directory to a completely different directory, Desktop will work.
  • Uninstall Steam completely.
  • Delete the Steam Folder
  • Reinstall Steam to a directory you have made *OUTSIDE* of Program Files or Program Files (86)
  • Run Steam and close it without logging in.
  • Move steamapps back into the new Steam directory.
  • Open Steam and log in.

For Morrowind and MGSO:
  • Do a clean install of Morrowind up to the latest Bloodmoon patch.
  • Start the game to make sure it plays and close it.
  • Restart the MGSO installer.

Good Luck!

im guessing by taking out the steammaps, i won't need to re-install any of my games?
nath

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 9:50 am

Precisely. That's also why you don't want to log in the first time you open it.
Sarah MacLeod

PreviousNext

Return to III - Morrowind