So, Morrowinds been destroyed huh?

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Not to mention it's been implied recently (can't find the posts but I remember it) that the devs have the lore for quite a bit of the future of the series already planned out. Not to mention all the hints we were already given that this would happen. So really, they let Keyes detail the characters responsible and the gritty details of the events. The destruction of Morrowind and the use of the Ingenium to make a flying Oblivion pocket was already thought up, it seems.

I think we might see the descendants of Attrebus and Annaig ruling during TES V, as well as the Dunmer diaspora starting to resettle part of Morrowind. This is assuming Attrebus is crowned someday and that he's meant to marry Annaig, which may be too big an assumption.
T. tacks Rims

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:47 am

Well, as someone who ranks Morrowind as my favorite game on the planet, I can say it's not the land that made the game great, it was the game design and immersion, you can make any region of Tamriel or Nirn as good, or better, so Morrowind being destroyed isn't bad news. And honestly, 90% of it was already craggy wasteland, so not much harm done anyway. The Dunmer are almost a dead race now, going the way of the Snow Elves, so that could prove interesting in future installments.

Perhaps the culture, but certainly not the people. In fact, going by the Loveletter AGAIN, it implies that they are doing fine during the late Fifth Era.
Luis Reyma

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:32 am

The devs did it to punish MW fans who complained about Oblivion. <_< When Oblivion fans complain about TES V (which will be a MMO using the WoW engine), Cyrodiil will suffer the same fate.

Omg what are you talking about? They aren't making any MMO of TES. >_>

Edit: And why would they make it a MMO? Think of the graphics they use people will never be able to play without lag. Even if they beat the lag think of the houses that are filled with 50 people that need to do the same quest. This will be impossible they could make a less quality graphic with a whole other world and cut-scenes instead of the actions happening directly in the game world.
Thomas LEON

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:32 am

It's just a shame if Yagruma Bagarn died. Hope he has survived or escaped.

I hope Rollie and Corky are ok.
Melanie

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 am

I hope Rollie and Corky are ok.

Rollie has no words for me. Screw him. Corky is cool. :P
Sarah Evason

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Personally I was a bit “WTF”ed when I read about Morrowind being hit like that, though it's still fine in the game so that's the least of my worries.
However what did kinda strike me was that it once again had to follow one principal of fantasy story telling, it can only be “epic”. Actually I did say that even before the book was out, while in another context I mentioned “if there are changes they're only on epic-scale-level like a whole continent exploding“. Though it wasn't a continent it did follow that principal really.

They could have very well said the impact happened and destroyed most of Vivec and some of the surrounding area and that the impact did upset Red Mountain, however they could have changed “covered everything in lava” to “kept spewing out more ashes, dust and gas making the land more and more uninhabitable”, also make it a progress that happened over years or decades instead of just one year. Blowing up a land is not change, that's a cataclysm and nothing more.

I can already smell another problem there. How much do you wanna bet that the Argonian invasion in Morrowind will NOT be solved via politics, negotiations and concessions from both sides but instead either a bloody and brutal war, some divine intervention or a sudden massive death event of one side (which would pretty much guaranteed be the Argonians since they are the “evil invaders”)?

I'd really LOVE to see that conflict solved at least to a part peacefully and just by politics with relatively little warfare involved in between and would really compliment Beth at trying that attempt and hope they won't go for “a god made things OK again”, especially if that “making it OK” involves simply wiping out one side of the conflict.

PS: I know Keyes is writing the novels but Beth probably still gives the rough outline so it's still their “responsibility” what happens and they make the main choices.

PPS: The landfall would have happened anyway, even without the Nerevarines intervention. Remember that Vivecs power was already waning because Dagoth Ur was cutting off the connection to the heart and use it for himself. In fact he could have planned on that, let the moon crash into Vvradenfell, take out a good portion of the temple and people who oppose him while keeping his own people save and rise out of Red Mountain with Akulakhan as it erupts. The destruction around him would have only made conquest easier and whats lava if you're a GOD?

Oh yea and a little word for those worrying about the Argonians and Dunmer being “wiped out”.

First off the Dunmer, they evacuated north and, while the south has been invaded and Vvradenfell being destroyed, it didn't say anything about the northernmost parts of Morrowind mainland, the Telvani region might still be intact. Plus I do guess a lot of refugees fled towards Cyrodiil.

And, as for the Argonians, yes Umbriel did pass over Black Marsh but it did so in a straight line from Lilmoth to Vivec meaning it didn't hit any other major cities. Also people seem to underestimate how big the provinces are, Black Marsh is about 280 miles wide and 450 miles high. And IF the cover of “The Infernal City” is any indication Umbriel isn't that big. That means even if it leaves a “path of destruction” (to which, I think, it's hinted that it does NOT) it would hardly have destroyed all of Black Marsh (Also because, if I recall correctly, Black Marsh expanded westwards into previous Cyrodiil country).
The only bigger concerns I'd have in term of destruction in Black Marsh is that it passed over it's center where most of the remaining Hist trees are so it could be assumed that a lot of them have been destroyed driving them further towards extinction.
Heather Stewart

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:40 am

Man, reading over this entire thread has made me absurdly nostalgic for Morrowind and saddened me for forgetting about a lot of Lore and whatnot. I used to really be into this stuff and now I haven't even bought the books.

:/ -_-
The Time Car

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 am

How do I feel about it? It completely svcks! Morrowind was the most fascinating and cultural place ever to appear in an Elder Scrolls game, and now it's gone. All that history, all the weird armors and housing, all the ancient characters... gone. If only Azura hadn't tricked the Nerevarine into removing the godhood of Vivec that moon would still be hanging in the sky, thousands of people would still be alive, and the cultural history of the Dark Elves would remain in-tact. I do like the Argonian invasion, but an odd argonian-dunmer hybrid culture would have been a lot cooler instead of Black Marsh 2.0.

If they had to destroy some place they should have destroyed Cyrodiil. Mods aren't in the lore and by the gods was that place dull.

Now it's even more interesting.

Outlandish hellhole turned into post-apocalyptic outlandish hellhole? How awesome is that?
Jerry Cox

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:10 am

I sure hope some people on the border of Morrowind got out, come on not everyone in Morrowind could died. We just know that the asteroid or meteoroid that was frozen in place hit Vivec and [censored] everything up. There must of been at least some time for some people by the borders to get out. Also, maybe Morrowind already heard of Umbra and some escape party or whatever. The thing is we are not informed as much so we are kind clueless to many holes in the story now.
victoria johnstone

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:46 am

I wonder how awesome this is to all hard-working folks at Tamriel Rebuilt.

Partay!!!

Just made their job a hell of lot easier! LOL!!
Doniesha World

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:26 am

I sure hope some people on the border of Morrowind got out, come on not everyone in Morrowind could died. We just know that the asteroid or meteoroid that was frozen in place hit Vivec and [censored] everything up. There must of been at least some time for some people by the borders to get out. Also, maybe Morrowind already heard of Umbra and some escape party or whatever. The thing is we are not informed as much so we are kind clueless to many holes in the story now.

I didnt read the book but here's what i can piece together:

Vivec and some of the surounding area was destroyed by the impact, it's likely that nobody in Vivec survived that, plus all settlements around the body of water Vivec was in would be destroyed, however the outer regioins of Vvradenfell and morrowind-mainland are largely unaffected.
Red Mountain erupts shortly after the impact and starts spewing out lava, even when assuming the volcanos caldera was a lot larger than it appeared, like a supervolcano, it still wouldn't wipe out everything instantly so i guess a lot of people had time to escape Vvradenfell, especially since a lot of settlements are closer to the eastern and western coastal regions that are likly to be affected last.
Mainland Morrowind was not affected too much by the impact and red mountains eruption, though it's likely some damage was done too. Here the Argonian invasion hit but that could only progress slowly leaving enough time to evacuate.

In the book it's said most Dunmer fled towards Solstheim but i also think the north-east of Morrowind is also in Dunmer control like the Telvani Islands. I think the Argonian invasion didn't push all the way over Morrowind, probably only towards Mournhold and overthrew the current government, i think the areas north of there are either evacuated or still in Dunmeri hands.
Most mainland refugees probably fled towards Cyrodiil, the Vvradenfell refugees towards the Telvani Islands and Solstheim.

Now, as mentioend before, there just needs to be a way to solve the whole invasion thing and i REALLY hope it's not settled by large scale war, sudden mass-death or a "Deus Ex Machina" just ending it. I'd really love to see it solved by politics instead with both sides comming into an agreement.
Personally mostly because i don't wanna see the Argonians getting demonized over that, the invasion pretty much was revenge for the millenia of slavery and invasion BY the dunmer in Black Marsh, plus that they nearly drove the Hist trees to extinction.

Many would say "But the new Morrowind leadership stopped slave raids and invasions", though i must remind you how fast a governemnt can change or at the drop of a hat suddenly change their minds. Plus after millenias of getting treated like that it sure wouldn't be all forgotten, fine and dandy after just saying "OK, we'll stop now".

PS: Don't confuse "Morrowind" and "Vvradenfell", Vvradenfells is a region IN Morrowind, a big one but not all of it.
Claudia Cook

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 am

The Red Year happened before the events of the book, Umbriel had nothing to do with it. This is all speculation, but everyone in Vivec is certainly dead, and it's safe to safe everyone in the smaller towns around it is dead as well. Once Red Mountain erupted, those who tried to flee south probably were stopped by the huge crater and were trapped, and those who fled north went to Solsthiem. People could have also swam east or west to the northern parts of Morrowind surrounding Vvardenfell. Since you can just swim to Solsthiem, I'm sure plenty of people survived. But those immediately surrounding the impact zone and Red Mountain had no chance, if you weren't near the coast, you likely died.
Katey Meyer

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:16 pm

The large island of Vvardenfell is surrounded by the Inland Sea, which in turn is surrounded on 3 sides (S, E, and W) by the Morrowind mainland. The island is only about 25-35% of the total area of the province, so it's not "small", but still far from being the "main" part of the province. The northern side has the Sheogorath islands, and the island of Solstheim is to the NW.

Vivec city, in the southern end of Vvardenfell, is gone, thanks to the falling moonlet. No question about that. The erupting volcano in the middle of Vvardenfell would cover the majority of the island with ash and debris, and I'm pretty certain that there would be serious effects on not only the rest of mainland Morrowind, but on the closer edges of the surrounding provinces of Black Marsh and Cyrodiil as well. The ash would be a serious problem all the way out to the ends of the province and beyond, but not the "200 feet deep" that happened to the nearby areas during the previous major catastrophe.

The Dunmer aren't "gone"; only a small proportion would be killed by the crash of Baar Dau, and many others on the Morrowind mainland would survive the ash and lava flows, either by fleeing to the distant reaches of the province and beyond, or by taking shelter until the worst had passed. The population of Vvardenfell itself is probably all but non-existent, though. So much for Fargoth, assuming that he survived the Nerevarine's temper before then. "I have a feeling".....that he's buried under several yards of ash. Remember all those nifty trinkets you stashed in wherever you called "home"? In another thousand years or so, the shifting landscape will probably expose the ruins for some other adventurer to find those "goodies".
Marcus Jordan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:03 am

Hey OP, thanks for ruining the novel for me.

I hope they don't. It's been done: Morrowind (or at least Vvardenfell) is gone. Bringing it back bigger and badder would just be tacky.

Well I WAS trying to desperately avoid any spoilers from the new novel until I picked it up next week. But looks like this thread title has blown that hope out of the water. :meh:

It's been pretty well known for quite a long time (2 or 3 years, I think, if not even longer) on the lore forums that the Ministry of Truth was going to land and wipe out most of Morrowind thanks to the Loveletter from the 5th Era Michael Kirkbride posted. Plus the Sermons said that the people's love for Vivec was the only thing keeping it up there, and since in Oblivion it said that Vivec disappeared, it's kind of logical to assume that the Big Stompy Rock is coming down.
Antony Holdsworth

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:11 pm

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but maybe the Nerevarine went to Akavir to see if he could bring the Dunmer there?
Chloe Botham

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:57 am

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but maybe the Nerevarine went to Akavir to see if he could bring the Dunmer there?

The only reason the Nerevarine actually went to Akavir was so that he would mysteriously disappear, which is common for Bethesda's protagonists.
Jesus Sanchez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm very offended by it, actually. Also the Argonian Invasion, which I see as the authors way of getting back at the Dunmer for enslaving the poor, helpless Argonians.
Damned_Queen

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 pm

I'm very offended by it, actually. Also the Argonian Invasion, which I see as the authors way of getting back at the Dunmer for enslaving the poor, helpless Argonians.

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure the Hist were the ones who organized the invasion, not the Argonians themselves. The Hist threw a bunch of Argonians at Mehrunes Dagon when the Oblivion Gates opened, and they threw a bunch of Argonians at the Dunmer when Red Mountain exploded. So if you're going to assign blame to anyone, blame the Hist.
Matt Fletcher

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:14 am

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure the Hist were the ones who organized the invasion, not the Argonians themselves. The Hist threw a bunch of Argonians at Mehrunes Dagon when the Oblivion Gates opened, and they threw a bunch of Argonians at the Dunmer when Red Mountain exploded. So if you're going to assign blame to anyone, blame the Hist.

While this provides a somewhat acceptable story reason, I meant just the author's feelings about the whole thing. I really do feel as if he destroyed Tamriel's coolest culture and province just so he could tell us slavery is wrong.
Stephy Beck

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:42 am

The elements and means by which Morrowind got "clean-slated" were clearly set both within Morrowind and during Oblivion. It's long-planned. The Fifth Era Loveletter is ample evidence that it is not a recent decision, nor one that was made "by the author". He just used what was already planned.

Perhaps one of the resident lorehounds would care to DATE the loveletter? Certainly, it occurred later than 2001. That was quite evident. Beyond that, can anyone narrow it down for us?
JeSsy ArEllano

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:23 pm

One of Vivec's Sermons does clearly state that only the power of people's love in Vivec will keep the moon up, so the Loveletters shouldn't really be the main point of discussion of "it's always been known." By the end of Tribunal and Oblivion, it's clear what MW's fate would eventually be.
Roberta Obrien

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 am

Loveletter is kind of the "point of no denial", I figure. After all, the only thing that's keeping Vivec alive in *my* Morrowind game is the fact that that moon would fall pretty quickly if I did him in. As for my wayward queen? She'll eventually get what she deserves :swear:
Ash

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 am

...or maybe just the Argonians going after an ancient enemy that had already been weakened by internal strife and major damage to the most combat-competent faction (Redoran) from the Daedric invasion, and have now been pretty much finished off as a continental power by having most of their major cities wiped out? It'd be bizarre *not* to have the Argonians invade when Morrowind is down, the two provinces have been at each other's throats for the last few thousand years. If something similar had happened to, say Summerset Isle or Elsweyr you'd expect Valenwood to invade, wouldn't you?
Joey Bel

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:47 am

The elements and means by which Morrowind got "clean-slated" were clearly set both within Morrowind and during Oblivion. It's long-planned. The Fifth Era Loveletter is ample evidence that it is not a recent decision, nor one that was made "by the author". He just used what was already planned.

Perhaps one of the resident lorehounds would care to DATE the loveletter? Certainly, it occurred later than 2001. That was quite evident. Beyond that, can anyone narrow it down for us?

My memory might be faulty, but I think MK posted it to the forums on the anniversary of 9/11 -- probably 2002. Maybe Proweler or others can correct me here.
Jonathan Egan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:25 am

And why doesn't Vivec care to mention to the Nerevarine after defeating Dagoth Ur: "Oh by the way, since my power is fading, that big rock in the sky is going to freaking nuke the whole land!!!" It doesn't make any sense. And if he'd truly cared for his people he would've compelled the Dunmer to seek refuge from the MoT.

It's hard to believe that the destruction of Morrowind was long-planned. If it were, the post Morrowind MQ dialogue would've mentioned the danger of landfall.
Ronald

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion