Do NOT disable vSync!

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 pm

Never use the games auto save...ever.

Its a hard fact that if you continually write into the same file over and over, its bound to corrupt.
No, it really isn't. It doesn't even overwrite the same physical spot on the disk, and even if it did, it's no more likely to give you a corrupt file than saving a fresh copy. Computers do not do their work through magic and incantations.
Devils Cheek

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Huh ENB's patch locks frames to 60 @ max, and I can't say I have, or have noticed, any of these bugs with Vsync off. I have noticed some silly glitches that I believe are related to the patch, but aside from having a better looking, and performing game i can't add much insight to the issues in question =\
djimi

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 3:15 pm

why are people calling these things bugs.

They arent. FPS has always had an effect on various things in gamebyro gamesas games. This was done purposely by gamesas. Not a bug.

If it was a bug, then we would have found vsync somewhere in the options to disable, but it was removed so we couldnt screw things up.

fps having an effect on stuff is an OBVIOUS bug in the engine.
Claudia Cook

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 6:31 pm

SWG: I'm going to try something different here.

nVidia has an option to force off V-Sync in the control panel that I can confirm shuts down Skyrim's V-Sync without needing to do anything to the iPresentInterval setting (I saw the screen tearing occurring). I'll see if there is any fallout from doing this, but hopefully forcing the V-Sync off through my video drivers (rather than the application) and limiting FPS might keep the timers in line while smoothing things up a bit.
Elisha KIng

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 8:10 pm

fps having an effect on stuff is an OBVIOUS bug in the engine.

wrong. FPS had an effect on alot of games. Some games allow you to jump higher, run faster etc because of higher fps.

Physics has always been affected by FPS in oblivion and the fallout games.

With the redesign of the engine into creation, it seems they have tied even more things into the FPS. That doesnt make it a bug. It makes it a design flaw, not a bug.
-__^

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 6:48 pm

wrong. FPS had an effect on alot of games. Some games allow you to jump higher, run faster etc because of higher fps.

Physics has always been affected by FPS in oblivion and the fallout games.

With the redesign of the engine into creation, it seems they have tied even more things into the FPS. That doesnt make it a bug. It makes it a design flaw, not a bug.

Same difference really. The only thing dividing a design flaw from a bug is intent. Bugs are unintentional, whereas flaws are (though the developer might not be aware of their method being flawed at the time they coded it).
Olga Xx

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 2:53 pm

That would explain why I get that flickering with v-sync disabled but then it goes away when I turn on FRAPS video recording which limits it 60 FPS.

Is there a way to have v-sync enabled though without the mouse lag because I get horrible mouse lag when v-sync is enabled. Even when I enable it through the NVIDIA control panel.
DAVId Bryant

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 3:18 pm

That would explain why I get that flickering with v-sync disabled but then it goes away when I turn on FRAPS video recording which limits it 60 FPS.

Is there a way to have v-sync enabled though without the mouse lag because I get horrible mouse lag when v-sync is enabled. Even when I enable it through the NVIDIA control panel.
You could try forcing triple buffering, disabling mouse acceleration plus capping your FPS at a lower value (45 is mine). It makes things a lot smoother.
Sista Sila

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 5:16 pm

From browsing this thread it seems clear that many people are making changes to the configuration file with little to no understanding of what the various functions do. Disabling VSync, at least with regard to recent games (Skyrim included) makes absolutely no sense. How screen tearing and other anomalies can be considered acceptable is beyond me. The option to disable VSync was not included in the settings because of the problems in can cause on some hardware configurations. Disabling VSync won't provide a noticeable increase in steady or average frame rates. Most problems regarding frame rates can be addressed by setting the maxFPS to a lower number to achieve a more consistent framerate appropriate for your system hardware. Attempting to exceed the capabilities of your system hardware by disabling settings that are meant to assure a stable, well-behaved game engine and then calling the odd behavior that ensues bugs is laughable.
Horror- Puppe

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 7:06 pm

*snip*

Then why do we have options to toggle V-Sync in our graphics drivers?

V-Sync is a feature that is designed (normally) for a game to be able to function without. No previous Bethesda game has had any problems with the native V-Sync being forced off through INI modification, but Skyrim does. This is the only game by Bethesda to have this behavior.

That is why we call it a bug. The game's V-Sync was poorly coded and the devs attempted to silently ignore the issue by not allowing us to disable it. But people found out how, and now the game goes FUBAR because they turned off a feature that should be optional in the first place.
BRIANNA

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 10:13 pm

ill be damned if i ever use vsync without a means of capping my fps

no mouse lag > no tearing
Angus Poole

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 10:43 am

No tearing + no physics glitches + no flickering water + no timing issues + lessened y axis issues > Slight mouse lag

For me, anyway.
Samantha Wood

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 4:05 pm

No tearing + no physics glitches + no flickering water + no timing issues + lessened y axis issues > Slight mouse lag

For me, anyway.

thats why i just cap the fps and not have vsync on this way i dont get any of the problems
Alkira rose Nankivell

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 3:42 pm

thats why i just cap the fps and not have vsync on this way i dont get any of the problems

FPS capping won't help with the timing issues, though. For me, it got to the point where the game's clock was so badly out of sync that the day changes were almost occuring at midday instead of midnight. This can have disastrous effects on the game's AI, as it relies heavily on scheduled tasks.
Neil

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 9:38 pm

FPS capping won't help with the timing issues, though. For me, it got to the point where the game's clock was so badly out of sync that the day changes were almost occuring at midday instead of midnight. This can have disastrous effects on the game's AI, as it relies heavily on scheduled tasks.

cant you just cap it AND turn vsync on so that you dotn have any input lag? wouldnt this get rid of the timing issue?
Catherine N

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 11:34 pm

cant you just cap it AND turn vsync on so that you dotn have any input lag? wouldnt this get rid of the timing issue?
I've got VSync + Triple Buffering + Capped at 45, and I don't get any noticeable input lag.
flora

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Ok I've removed all ini files for skyrim and defaulted them. Also added iPresentInterval=1 to the skyrim.ini in documents, and I still have the day of the week bug :(
Alisha Clarke

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 2:50 pm

I've got VSync + Triple Buffering + Capped at 45, and I don't get any noticeable input lag.

duh, thats the whole point of capping the fps to a number smaller than a variable of the sync rates, if your just normally have vsync on it will have input lag, but if you cap it at say, 59 fps with vsync on, then you wont get the lag
Stephanie Kemp

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 12:40 am

On an older save the time of day name change is different, so maybe over time it'll sync back up :(
Sammygirl500

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 3:17 pm

duh, thats the whole point of capping the fps to a number smaller than a variable of the sync rates, if your just normally have vsync on it will have input lag, but if you cap it at say, 59 fps with vsync on, then you wont get the lag
I get no lag without a cap either.
Michael Russ

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 11:35 am

Do not disable vsync because games look crap without it. Simple as, tearing is is ply unacceptable.

I have it on for all games.
Victoria Bartel

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 4:32 pm

I was only having random crashes where the game closes til now. 11.11 drivers with 11.11 cap 2 profile is causing so many issues with my 6870's. constant flickering on the walls & floors for tile & moss when in third & rotating camera. I can't find how to install 11.11 without xfire profile so installing 11.9 bc 11.10 don't show up on AMD site.
Natalie Taylor

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 1:08 am

but what if i set iPresentInterval to 1 and force turning off vsync in vga drivers?
the function of iPresentInterval are enable, but i have no actual vsync and no lags/ mouse lags.
make sence?
Esther Fernandez

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 8:47 pm

I've asked this before, but has anyone actually established what iPresentInterval actually *does*? Someone came up with this as a "fix" early on, but as far as I can tell Bethesda has never answered the question as to whether it's a proper fix or whether it does something other than control vsync (which seems likely).

This isn't really a tech support forum so much as a "users flailing in the dark trying to debug the game alone" forum.
Darrell Fawcett

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 11:56 am

Then why do we have options to toggle V-Sync in our graphics drivers?

V-Sync is a feature that is designed (normally) for a game to be able to function without. No previous Bethesda game has had any problems with the native V-Sync being forced off through INI modification, but Skyrim does. This is the only game by Bethesda to have this behavior.

That is why we call it a bug. The game's V-Sync was poorly coded and the devs attempted to silently ignore the issue by not allowing us to disable it. But people found out how, and now the game goes FUBAR because they turned off a feature that should be optional in the first place.

Wrong. Both fallout 3 and NV and Oblivion had physics tied to framerate, just like skyrim.

The other poster was entirely correct. We are messing with settings we generally arent suppose to touch. The bugs that happen from it are our fault, not the dev. They gave us all the features they wanted us to have control over.

Now im not saying gamesas was smart in doing what they did. I think its a terrible idea, and i cant believe they claim to have a new engine, when it is still gamebryo.
Gwen

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim