So, Red Mountain exploded destroying much of Vvardenfell

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:44 pm

The bright side is this is a chance for the Dunmer to rebuild a new nation possibly with the aid of the Nords. If anything I'm willing to wager they will at least have forged a friendship over this period of time. They did allow the Dunmer to build a city in Eastern Skyrim after all.

Won't be surprised if its some internal takeover tactic, considering nord and orc were attacking them before red year.
Sara Johanna Scenariste

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:47 am

Technically, the Chimer or Velothi...mer started as an outcast peoples, but no one likes smart-ass.

I'm a bit confused on whether you think this is the end for the Dunmer or they will just move on.

Semantics :P

As I said earlier, the Dunmer(Chimer/Velothi) as a people are gone. Their genetic bloodline is still there, but the culture is gone. There are colonies in Soltheim and Skyrim, and you bet that the influence of the Skaal and Nords will change the Dunmer culture. The rest of them are dead or scattered through the rest of Tamriel. They are not going to return to a single Dunmer culture even if they manage to retake and resettle their land.
Kellymarie Heppell

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 am

As I said earlier, the Dunmer(Chimer/Velothi) as a people are gone. Their genetic bloodline is still there, but the culture is gone. There are colonies in Soltheim and Skyrim, and you bet that the influence of the Skaal and Nords will change the Dunmer culture. The rest of them are dead or scattered through the rest of Tamriel. They are not going to return to a single Dunmer culture even if they manage to retake and resettle their land.

I was thinking about this exact thing today...

We should view what happened to Vvardenfell as the fall of a civilization, rather than simply a tramatic event. At the End of the Third Era, and the beginning of the fourth, the Vvardenfell experienced a series of catastrophes: A civil war, two invasions, and two catastrophic natural disasters. At the same time an important bedrock of a unique Dunmer culture --- that is, the Almsivi Tribunal --- was destroyed and discredited completely.

Just imagine if, say, the United States experienced a tragedy of equal magnitude (in order): Christianity is completely discredited, a vicious civil war breaks out, Russia invades, retreats, a meteor destroys NYC, Yellowstone Volcano explodes and coats the entire breadbasket of the U.S. in a foot of ash, blocking out the Sun for months on end, to be followed by an successful invasion by Mexico to reclaim its lost territories (think the entire southwest) plus some. Think the U.S. will survive that?

So, like what Lady Nerevar said, we are seeing a permanent change in what it means to be Dunmer. Many things that defined Morrowind and its inhabitants as unique have been challenged and destroyed. Slavery, gone. Tribunal worship, gone. Hundreds, if not thousands of cultural and heritage centers, destroyed. Countless native Dunmer artists, musicians, mages, potters, writers, weavers, teachers, elder wise men and women; all conveyors of Dumer culture to the new generation...dead.

I guess the important question now is how will the Dunmer change? Post Land-Fall, how will they define themselves? They will undoubtedly be heavily influenced by the Skaal and others. And while I don't agree that the Dunmer will ever be able to reunite under one culture should they reclaim Morrowind, it'll be quite different than the one the Nerevarine left in TESIII.
lexy

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:07 am

Another result of this tradgedy I just realised. It's very likely that Yagrum (the last dwemer, as far as I know) is now dead
Abel Vazquez

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:36 am

Another result of this tradgedy I just realised. It's very likely that Yagrum (the last dwemer, as far as I know) is now dead

Na, Fyr is too cool for Nirn to let him die - the volcanic earth itself rose up in protest and refused to destroy his tower.
Bee Baby

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:30 am

I am certain both Yagrum and Fyr survived this! :D
Either the Tower still stands, or they teleported somewhere safe, or they levitated, or they knew of the catastrophe... There are so many ways for them to get away! :bolt:
Nichola Haynes

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:35 am

Even though I knew it was inevitable from playing Morrowind, I too had a genuine "sinking stomach" feeling when I read about the destruction of Morrowind. The bright side is this is a chance for the Dunmer to rebuild a new nation possibly with the aid of the Nords. If anything I'm willing to wager they will at least have forged a friendship over this period of time. They did allow the Dunmer to build a city in Eastern Skyrim after all.

There is a 'town' in western France near Calais mostly consisting of asylum seekers, refugees and immigrants who are trying to get into England. I wouldn't say the French gave them permission to be there. It's more they had no-where else to go, and started to accumulate as Passport Control denied them permission to hop over the Channel. I can see the same deal here. Dunmer flee with no-where to go, and begin to accumulate in specific areas. When your entire country has near-enough died, you'd want to security of your kinsmen. That means as a settlement grew, other Dunmer would be drawn to it.

The Nords had been invading Redoran's lands for generations, and there was no love between them and the Dunmer. Two hundred years may have mellowed things, but I doubt there'd be anything other than mutual suspicion other than abject hate. I can see the Dunmer town being tolerated, just because they are Imperial citizens with no-where else to go, and if they massacred them all, the remains of the Imperial Legion would take severe action against the perpetrators.
Bellismydesi

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Err, I forgot. Morrowind experienced three invasions during this period, including the moderately successful Nord invasion.
Kelli Wolfe

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:33 am

The Nords had been invading Redoran's lands for generations, and there was no love between them and the Dunmer. Two hundred years may have mellowed things, but I doubt there'd be anything other than mutual suspicion other than abject hate. I can see the Dunmer town being tolerated, just because they are Imperial citizens with no-where else to go,

You, sir, don't think like a Nord at all.
IsAiah AkA figgy

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:11 am

Na, Fyr is too cool for Nirn to let him die - the volcanic earth itself rose up in protest and refused to destroy his tower.

Fyr had his Recall spell prepared weeks in advance, with room for all his Sister-Wives and favorite trinkets. Bagarn, of course, refused to come along and Fyr readily respected his choice.
Richus Dude

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 am

Fyr had his Recall spell prepared weeks in advance, with room for all his Sister-Wives and favorite trinkets. Bagarn, of course, refused to come along and Fyr readily respected his choice.

Bah, I prefer the laws of nature in revolt. If not in awe, then in fear.
Rachell Katherine

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:19 am

I don't recall the Bosmer eating the Nedics or Ayleid refugees, either.

We have M'aiq, do we need a Fyr Easter egg, too?
Amiee Kent

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:10 am

After MK's statement some months ago that the Nords helped the refugees, I changed my mind on how the Dunmer would be received. Many traditional cultures hold hospitality as a sacred duty, including in the Middle East, the Celts, the ancient Greeks, and in Scandinavia. Maybe the Nords helped the Dunmer boat people or however the refugees showed up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospitality_ethics#Hospitality_ethics
Jennie Skeletons

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:58 am

I dont know so many years of war and death must have left them with some very angry feelings toward each other. I really cant see the Nords and Dunmer being very friendly. Based on what Syronj said i could be very wrong but, i feel that the Nords would at best tolerate them if there isn't just straight up fighting. I have a hard time believing the Skaal are very happy over in solstheim. I honestly cant wait to play just so i can find out the situation!
Strawberry

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:41 pm

I dont know so many years of war and death must have left them with some very angry feelings toward each other. I really cant see the Nords and Dunmer being very friendly. Based on what Syronj said i could be very wrong but, i feel that the Nords would at best tolerate them if there isn't just straight up fighting. I have a hard time believing the Skaal are very happy over in solstheim. I honestly cant wait to play just so i can find out the situation!

I'm looking forward to finding out too. Hopefully there will be in-game books in "Skyrim" that tell more. But think of it this way: the Nords are a proud people who love life -- they're probably big-hearted. How do you think someone like that reacts when faced with refugees who have lost most of their family and friends as well as much of their culture? The Nords are big enough to extend a helping hand instead of rehashing old quarrels. Or at least I hope Bethesda will portray them this way.
P PoLlo

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:13 pm

I feel the nords can be kind too, however i feel that they are a warrior people and well humane im sure that the Nord people will be split over this. One side for helping the other for well war
Cameron Wood

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:46 am

I feel the nords can be kind too, however i feel that they are a warrior people and well humane im sure that the Nord people will be split over this. One side for helping the other for well war

You could get some good subplots and quests out of that. If we see a Nord civil war during "Skyrim", I wonder if the Dunmer will be a factor or only a sideshow. Something to look forward to.
Adriana Lenzo

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:16 am

well im sure that some side of the civil war will have to include them. since they are living there they would have to take part somehow ya know?
Georgine Lee

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:35 am

well im sure that some side of the civil war will have to include them. since they are living there they would have to take part somehow ya know?

True. I wonder if the Dunmer will be few enough that their settlements try to stay out of the conflict where possible. Kind of like the blessing in "Fiddler on the Roof": "May God bless and keep the Tsar... far away from us!" But they probably will be drawn into the war.
Scott Clemmons

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:34 am

I wonder if the civil war in Skyrim will be to the benefit or the detriment of the Dunmer in that land. It could allow them to integrate into the population without much fuss because of more pressing matters at hand, or they could get svcked up into the mess and be forced to choose a side, or maybe a side will be chosen for them.
Project

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:51 am

Just because the dunmer were their enemies, doesn't mean they don't respect them.

Besides, what glory is there in slaughtering refugees?
FITTAS

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 am

Even Khorne becomes very displeased when the weak and helpless are killed. There is no honor and glory given to those who fight targets who cannot even fight.
Felix Walde

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:29 am

There's no need to play the "racial compatibility/alignment" game.
Allison Sizemore

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:39 am

lol Korn would take the blood of a dead rat as long as it was killed violently. Also it has nothing to do with respect im assuming that a vast amount of dunmer moved to skyrim so i am also assuming that their is still warriors amongst them too. Also the dunmer well some of them are a nomadic tribal people so im sure they will be fine and far from helpless
I love YOu

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:22 am

So wait? The mainland wasn't an option? Why go to Solstheim?

Yea, I am not big on the lore, however I could probably spend all day reading it cause it does fascinate me.
Donatus Uwasomba

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion