So, Red Mountain exploded destroying much of Vvardenfell

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:14 am

The mainland's smoked, and a lot of argonians were killing survivors there. They went to Cyrodiil and Solstheim, where the Skaal have shown them hospitality.
Damian Parsons

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:06 pm

they could come to sumerset isle to be slaves thats all their good for to bad they didnt all get wiped out
Dean

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:52 pm

they could come to sumerset isle to be slaves thats all their good for to bad they didnt all get wiped out

We don't take too kindly to your kind 'round here.

The egomaniacle Altmer can be my slaves.
Cagla Cali

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:44 am

altmor dont do the slave thing go ask the lizards and cats to do that. altmors rule and redguards are cool because they put the smack down on the orcs to bad they couldnt finisg the job oh well the nords can use them to show they arent the most brainless savage things around
JD FROM HELL

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:04 am

I never get peoples hostility towards Orcs and the greater one toward Nords
Alyce Argabright

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:45 am

And yeah; if Skyrim has half as powerful an effect on me as Morrowind had, it'll be amazing.

Such is the beauty of fiction and virtual worlds. So many people argue against video games, saying that they're desensitizing us and making us less aware of those around us and the gravity which surrounds every action we make in the real world. But I think otherwise: I've grown so attached to so many of Bethesda's characters and locations. Not only in Morrowind, but in Daggerfall and Redguard and even Oblivion. If anything I think that open-ended games give us a greater appreciation for respecting others, as we're given greater exposure to the breadth and ken of their personality and their importance within the context of the world and its history than we ever get out of your average passerby in the real world. Certainly, I absolutely refuse to kill innocents in TES games.

These weren't just territorial holds that were eradicated, but a history and culture which the Dunmer will never be able to return to.

I had the opposite reaction, I was happy that they got what was coming to them, racist Dunmer! Ayleids didn't deserve to be pushed to near extinction with only a small group of Pure-blooded Ayleid's hiding in the Heartland Woods, all because they made all the other races slaves, they just didn't deserve it :tongue:

That's...really harsh. Sometimes I don't know where you draw the line between posting in-character and simply being happy whenever Morrowind fans have their hearts broken. Trust me, I identify with Daggerfall first and Morrowind second, but I don't think I've ever felt stronger attachment to a fictional world. This is like the time you said "down with spears", with no justification other than that Morrowind had them and you thought there'd be no way to make them balanced within the context of Skyrim's combat. And we still don't know much about just how the combat dynamics will play out in that game: I can't believe you're one to think that Bethesda has no chance of making something "work" in a game they're developing, and would be better off not trying at all. But whatever, we have our opinions. :shrug:
Far'ed K.G.h.m

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:42 am

I never get peoples hostility towards Orcs and the greater one toward Nords

Hostility towards Nords?

I've never noticed anything but refreshing irritation with the omnipresent Viking fetish.
GPMG

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:32 pm

well people tend to just call them idiot savages not myself because i think the very opposite. It is true though many times have i seen people show great aggression towards those two more so orcs than nords but you will find plenty of nord hate posted
lucy chadwick

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 pm

No race of people deserves such scorn and hatred - especially not those of the caliber or character and perseverance of the children of Veloth the Pilgrim. They've endured countless hardships and will continue to find a way to endure. That's their way. Haters gonna hate.
CSar L

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:22 pm

No race of people deserves such scorn and hatred - especially not those of the caliber or character and perseverance of the children of Veloth the Pilgrim. They've endured countless hardships and will continue to find a way to endure. That's their way. Haters gonna hate.

They see me chimin'
They hatin
Patrollin
And tryin to catch me zero summin
Trying to catch me zero summin

My muatra's so big
I'm swaaaangin.
JaNnatul Naimah

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Congratulations you magnificent bastard. I choked to death on turnip greens because of you.
R.I.P

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:48 pm

That's a win, right there.
Lizzie

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:17 am

Hostility towards Nords?

I've never noticed anything but refreshing irritation with the omnipresent Viking fetish.

I know I'm curious to see where Bethesda veers from stereotypical Nord and makes them unique.
Jack Walker

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:53 am

He wasn't warning of the Red Year though. He wanted people to commit suicide so that the Dunmer people could call on an even greater body of Ancestors when the Oblivion Crisis occured. He ranted about the Daedra attacking.

Very interestingly, it's clear that this bit of foreshadowing for TES IV was placed into the Tribunal expansion on purpose, since the writing work had already begun for Oblivion when development on Tribunal got underway (circa late 2002).

Also, information about TESV revealed that there is a sizeable amount of Dunmer who have taken up refuge in Skyrim by the time TESV begins, and they have apparently built their own city there (as was revealed by a French magazine's coverage).

It's supposedly near the old border of Morrowind, according to the TES Wiki.

The prospect of actually getting some Dunmer architecture in the new game? Hells yes, says I.

how could the Dark Elves not unite and make a stand somewhere? surely they could have stopped the argonians at some point instead of moving to solsthseim and skyrim? i am buying the book sometime soon so can any one explain why the Dunmer didnt make a stand? Why the hell they chose Nordic like areas to flee?

As noted in the novel, the Dunmer had basically just gotten the living crap kicked out of them, as a result of the Ministry's fall, the eruption of Red Mountain, as well as the recent Dagoth Ur uprising and Oblivion/Nord crises. By the time the Argonians invaded southern Morrowind, they were scattered and disparate, and in no real shape to mount a coordinated defense of their homeland.

I'm looking forward to finding out too. Hopefully there will be in-game books in "Skyrim" that tell more. But think of it this way: the Nords are a proud people who love life -- they're probably big-hearted. How do you think someone like that reacts when faced with refugees who have lost most of their family and friends as well as much of their culture? The Nords are big enough to extend a helping hand instead of rehashing old quarrels. Or at least I hope Bethesda will portray them this way.

I'm busy holding out the hope that we'll be seeing some meaty in-game references to not only the Red Year and the circumstances surrounding the diaspora of the entire Dunmer civilization, but also to stuff like the Umbriel Crisis and the other events from Greg Keyes' novels.

It's extremely likely, given both the separate timeframes between his books and TES V, as well as the fact that Bethesda seem to be a pretty out-of-game-lore-friendly company. Keyes has mentioned that he worked closely with Pete Hines and Todd Howard on the books, which bodes well for reciprocal referencing within the games themselves.
Max Van Morrison

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 am

They see me chimin'
They hatin
Patrollin
And tryin to catch me zero summin

My muatra's so big
I'm swaaaangin.

:rofl: