So, Red Mountain exploded destroying much of Vvardenfell

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:21 am

Death in the face of certain defeat is pointless. The real cowards died fighting the argonians. It is far braver to swallow ones own pride in order to help your people rebuild then to get killed fighting a meaningless fight.

I wouldn't go that far. As was said above, some likely stayed behind and fought off the hordes, to let a few make their escape.
Ashley Hill

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:29 am

I wouldn't go that far. As was said above, some likely stayed behind and fought off the hordes, to let a few make their escape.

Perhaps. But there is a difference between a fighting retreat and staying behind to die fighting.
Kevin S

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:23 pm

@DarthRavanger: Agreed.
e.Double

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:37 am

I have deleted/edited a few posts.

@Gortock - Please take a bit more caution with your race descriptions, they gave offense and it is something we don't want on these boards. Thanks.
brenden casey

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:23 pm

it is not racist they are dark elves. darkies is a understandable slang term. non racist. its like calling wood elves woodies or falmer snowies or dwemer dwarves not racist. besides they are a fictional Race!! i did not use it in a derogatory manner at all i just shortened manner of saying dark elves.
Farrah Barry

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:17 am

sorry mod i didnt see your post and it was not racist still! but i will stop but i am not wrong and should be allowed to call them that. but if i must refrain form calling them that i will but this i feel is wrong
Kill Bill

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm

sorry mod i didnt see your post and it was not racist still! but i will stop but i am not wrong and should be allowed to call them that. but if i must refrain form calling them that i will but this i feel is wrong

You are true to your word. You do not go down without a fight. :thumbsup:
Matthew Barrows

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:19 am

Drop it and back on topic please.
WYatt REed

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:17 pm

So why do you htink they chose solsthiem and Skyrim?
X(S.a.R.a.H)X

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:37 am

So why do you htink they chose solsthiem and Skyrim?

Those were their only options. Cyrodiil too I suppose could have been an option.
Lucky Girl

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:30 am

A lot of them likely went to Cyrodill through the mountains to the West. Dunmer have usually found high levels of acceptance in the Imperial west. Especially House Hlaalu and followers of the Zenithar cult.

There is more honor in dying a man than living a coward.
Gordol Indoril-he died a man and hero his honor intact
Yes, because there is much honor in dying for no reason.- this guy lived as a big coward with no honor

boo yah

It's important to remember why this person and the dozens of others with similar fates are heroes. If Gordol Indoril had chosen to sacrifice himself when he had a clear escape route and nobody to protect, he'd have been a fool. Since 200 or more refugees were able to flee Morrowind with their lives because of he, his personal bodyguards and some of the House Dres town guards' personal sacrifice, that makes them heroes. Dying for honor and glory alone is not something worth looking up to, because a live hero is of more use than a dead hero.
Miranda Taylor

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:53 pm

I wasn't so much sad when I learned of Morrowind's destruction, as just repulsed and genuinely angry that Bethesda would allow it to occur.
Eric Hayes

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:00 am

I wasn't so much sad when I learned of Morrowind's destruction, as just repulsed and genuinely angry that Bethesda would allow it to occur.

It was hinted at way back during character dialogue in Morrowind that the moon would almost certainly fall at some point. Vivec pretty much flat out states it's going to happen. The Loveletter came quite a long time before the Infernal City and it was in a post-apocolyptic Morrowind, again heavily implying massive destruction.

Bethesda didn't just randomly pull this out of their collective butts just to piss off Morrowind fans. It's obviously been planned for many years, possibly well over a decade, and a lot of us have simply seen it coming since the first time we played Morrowind because to tell you the truth all the information was there. That's one of the perks of actually reading all the dialogue and in-game books. You can almost predict what's gonna happen in future games or out of game lore if you connect some dots.
Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Gordol Indoril, one of the last of a once great House, endured the sting of many arrows and spear tips before he finally fell defending his countrymen as they fled Tear via boat. He even defended the children of Dres, Hlaalu and Telvanni. What the heathen swamp monsters didn't realize was that his armor had a Temple Curse on it. It was set to explode in a glorious fashion once his heart stopped beating. Many lizard parts were sent flying in a shower of viscera that day. His last words were "For Mother Mercy, I spite thee."

[censored] epic.
Lisa

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:38 am

That repulsion and anger is a good reaction, though. It means that you care about the world that Bethesda has created. Sometimes bad things happen to the ones we love, which only makes us realize that they are important to us. Morrowind matters more now that it is gone.

As for the Dunmer being cowards for fleeing - they were no longer Dunmer to begin with. "Race" in the Elder Scrolls is more a cultural than a physical concept, and by the beginning of the 4th era all that made the inhabitants of Morrowind "Dunmer" was gone. Their culture was built on the worship of the Tribunal, their xenophobia, and their slavery. The 2/3 of the Tribunal was deposed in a spectacular fashion by the culture-hero who was supposed to save Morrowind. The remaining Triune disappeared and did not help his people in their hour of need. The Daedra, revered and worshiped as divine ancestors, killed [hundreds of] thousands of people and decimated major cities. Their king was pushing them to imperialize even as the empire collapsed around him. And then, when they had lost faith in god and king, Lie Rock fell, shattering the city of cities. Those that stayed did so because they knew no alternative. Those that left did so because they knew no alternative.

The Dunmer started as an outcast peoples, and they shall end as one.
Victoria Vasileva

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:42 am

The Dunmer started as an outcast peoples, and they shall end as one.

Technically, the Chimer or Velothi...mer started as an outcast peoples, but no one likes smart-ass.

I'm a bit confused on whether you think this is the end for the Dunmer or they will just move on.
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Technically, the Chimer or Velothi...mer started as an outcast peoples, but no one likes smart-ass.

I'm a bit confused on whether you think this is the end for the Dunmer or they will just move on.

Well put.

I can't assume after all the Dunmer have gone through that they will give up now. I can picture a comeback. But the Lady's opinion on this matter would be valued.
Soph

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:20 am

I hope they keep the idea of House Sul and the strongly united Dunmer people from MK's Loveletter. I loved that idea, as well as the implication that Sul becomes a great Saint or leader of his people.
Céline Rémy

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:21 am

IIRC, Vvardenfell is not 'destroyed,' merely covered by volcanic ashes, rendered the island inhabitable for a time. At least the land would be fertile from now on. :celebration:

I don't think this event will change the dunmers much, their pride will bring them to back, eventually.
jason worrell

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:41 am

lol I agree! Darkies is not racist! The Dark Elves aren't from Africa, this is a video game and we have the right to call them darkies if we want to
Kara Payne

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:54 pm

@scatman, keep bringing it up and you might attract a very angry bear who can see the moderator control panel.

@hairdo, I agree, I do hope they retain the House Sul concept. Personally, I'm hoping we'll get to see the formation of House Sul in the second book.
JLG

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:36 am

lol I agree! Darkies is not racist! The Dark Elves aren't from Africa, this is a video game and we have the right to call them darkies if we want to
@scatman, keep bringing it up and you might attract a very angry bear who can see the moderator control panel.

Too late - I have been attracted and very angry.

I don't normally post this kind of stuff but it seems very suspicious to me that someone joins to post that, and is from the same area as the member who used the term. So, best behavior - for ever!
Sophie Payne

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Some corrections:
The Rock that was floating above Vivec was the Ministry of Truth, which was held up by Vivec. But Vivec disappeared, and in his absence, Vuhon creates an ingenium in order to keep it stable. he uses dying souls as base, and then uses a small number of living souls as fuel for the ingenium. But he uses the soul of the Wife of Sul, who fights Vuhon, and the ministry of Truth becomes unstable, and crashes into Vvardenfell. Then Sul and Vuhon is cast into Oblivion.

(Then they get out, Vuhon creates another ingenium, for Umbriel, then the same thing happens again, Sul fights him and Umbriel Disappears.)

Yep. :(
The well intentioned actions of the Nevevarine saving Morrowind, by destroying the heart of Lorkan, which weakened and led to the demise of the Tribunal, and later, led to the events of Vvardenfell's destruction struck me as profoundly ironic.

As far as Vvardenfell's decimation, it' not hard to figure out that when you have a huge moon within levitating distance of a major city that the potential for destruction is high. I wondered how many Dunmer escaped through the old dunmer strongholds to who knows where.
Things can't stay the same, change is natural. Bethesda destroying parts of MW and Vvardenfell made it seem more like real life. [censored] happens.
Heather beauchamp

Post » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:13 pm

I don't normally post this kind of stuff but it seems very suspicious to me that someone joins to post that, and is from the same area as the member who used the term. So, best behavior - for ever!

Precisely. <_< Not to mention the fact that Bethesda and the Moderators make up the rules here. The only rights you have are the ones they give you. 'Nuff said.

Even though I knew it was inevitable from playing Morrowind, I too had a genuine "sinking stomach" feeling when I read about the destruction of Morrowind. The bright side is this is a chance for the Dunmer to rebuild a new nation possibly with the aid of the Nords. If anything I'm willing to wager they will at least have forged a friendship over this period of time. They did allow the Dunmer to build a city in Eastern Skyrim after all.
Charity Hughes

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:18 am

i am not responsible for this at all i swear
k a t e

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion