The ?Beast races? design

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:41 pm

Sorry but gotta insert a big GROAN here.
Cold blooded A. is a old and VERY inaccurate term, reptiles CAN regulate their body temperature and are not fully dependant on their environment and B. strip a human of his clothes or a wolf of his fur and they would freeze to death as well, does that mean they wouldn't be able to survive in Skyrim?
Plus being a fantasy race it's easy to assume they can fully regulate their body temperature.

A first i got to blow your theory about the reptiles in real life as i got here a couple of sites you may wana read
http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/image_galleries/ir_zoo/coldwarm.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poikilotherm
http://animal.discovery.com/guides/reptiles/basics/humidity.html

and maby you readed thise piece : One of the more fascinating reptile facts has to do with chameleons. They're usually thought of as lizards who change their skin color and texture to suit their environments. What's more accurate is that they will change their skin color or intensity and brightness according to their mood; or in their "attempts" at regulating their temperature.

from thise site : http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/reptile-facts.html

now i must say i dont know all of the of the reptilians and i dont know all of or universe as thats imposible and that there always exceptions to the case like the platypus or female fish change six wene there no man

but in Commun few basicly we consider most repilians "cold blooded"that they "Can't"regulate their own body temperature
now its tru some anfibians or reptilians got enzimes in their body with a anti freeze prefent then to freeze to death but go in hybernation instead
but they still need the sun or other heat sourches to warm their body temperature and shadows to cool it

now for argonians i know their not 100% reptilian and that they can use magic items to keep them warm but i saw them as cold blooded and not that they have to die from cold i tought more that they would be slowed down by it so much that have realy hard trouble with were wolfs bandits etc they cant defend themself in that state without magic items wich i douth all will carrie altough i find the 1 in bruma very strange 1
but you also se lesser agronians in colder regions as i belief they disslike the cold

now thise are just my few on the things you can argu with it what you want
ps sorry about my bad spelling but thats not the argu of the topic here
Joanne

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:54 pm

I preferred Morrowind's beast races because they all had more of a hunch to them like thy were about to sprint, looks better than the human shape Oblivion offered for all things.
lucy chadwick

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:41 am

I prefer the Khajiit in Oblivion to the Khajiit in Morrowind. The design in Morrowind doesn't do them justice. However, I much, MUCH prefer the Argonians in Morrowind to the ones in Oblivion. The Argonians in Oblivion look no different than the standard reptillian race in any sci-fi movie or tv show focusing on them, and really don't look original at all. But in Morrowind, they look really alien and really unique. The designs are like night and day. I hope Argonians look like that again in TESV.
George PUluse

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:30 am

Dinosaurs were (very probably, not all scientist agree on it) a warm blooded (or able to self-regulate their internal temperature, to be more scientifically precise) reptile branch of animals which could live on much colder places than other reptilian families. Even in the antarctic/artic circles that, while not as cold as today, were still a lot cold.

So yeah, problem solved. :P
Danielle Brown

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:49 pm

As a reptile keeper, myself, allow me to offer my 5 cents:

In general, reptiles are only able to function within climates that closely resemble their native habitat, i.e. desert reptiles must be kept in warm, low-humidity habitats to stay healthy in captivity, while reptiles like the tuatara function in much cooler temperatures, as low as 65 degrees. The point being, if Argonians are indeed cold-blooded (which is entirely up to debate), they would obviously function best in warm, highly humid environments. This means that an Argonian in Skyrim would have to go out of his way to retain a body temperature at which he can function.

Are Argonians cold or warm blooded? Who knows. Perhaps their bipedal, humanoid appearance could belie a warm-blooded creature.
electro_fantics

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:08 am

This means that an Argonian in Skyrim would have to go out of his way to retain a body temperature at which he can function.

Actually i think ina cold climate EVERYONE has to go out of his way to do that really, could you imagine a imperial going around the snowy mountains just dressed in a shirt and light pants?
My point there is just it's always said "Argonians would have to take so much extra care" or "they couldn't survive in that climate" when pretty much EVERYONE has to do that too.

Plus, i really don't wanna give Beth a reason to say "No Argonians this time around".
Charleigh Anderson

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Dinosaurs were (very probably, not all scientist agree on it)...warm blooded...
How do they know that? Where did you read about this?
Jessica Lloyd

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:58 am

I vote Morrowind. Much more Unique. And deadly were it not for the hand to hand mechanics They had claws! but there was no point in using them in Morrowind. If only they were Beastly in Oblivion like they were in Morrowind. Oblivion killed the fun in using them.
Andrea P

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:47 am

How do they know that? Where did you read about this?

I've read about it in a lot of places for a long time. Your best bet is just google (or bing) about warm blooded dinos or arctic ones.
Sara Johanna Scenariste

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:50 am

Actually i think ina cold climate EVERYONE has to go out of his way to do that really, could you imagine a imperial going around the snowy mountains just dressed in a shirt and light pants?
My point there is just it's always said "Argonians would have to take so much extra care" or "they couldn't survive in that climate" when pretty much EVERYONE has to do that too.

Plus, i really don't wanna give Beth a reason to say "No Argonians this time around".

i totaly agree i never would like to see that beth said no against argonians i just like to see more reptilian aspect given to the argonians for the diff of races and because i like reptiles and dragons very much but like for cold blooded i like to see them like haveing a speed reducion buff wene they enter a very cold area to composate thise debuff i like to see them to have more use of their tail as it seem to look like that of a leguana so giving a argonian the ability like a tail knock back slam to could compesate the speed reducion and more fun of it to ^^
also i see no reason why their wouldn't be much argonians in skyrim as we could see in morrowind they had lots of argonian slaves and wene some escaped tru the faction the twin lamps in ebonhearth i would think they were transported by boat
sorry for my bad englisch btw
flora

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:36 pm

I think the idea that the Khajiit need to wear boots is ridiculous. Azura in her wisdom made the Khajiit of many forms, but all with excellent feet.

---

But more seriously. I liked the design of Morrowinds Khajiit. Not being able to wear boots was a nice touch. But why the need to max out your armour?

---

Oblivions Argonian were nicer with the carried skin colours but adding Morrowinds legs and removing the boobs would make them more reptilian again. You know, the sort of reptiles that changes their six after some 50 years.
Laura Elizabeth

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 am

I think the idea that the Khajiit need to wear boots is ridiculous. Azura in her wisdom made the Khajiit of many forms, but all with excellent feet.

---

But more seriously. I liked the design of Morrowinds Khajiit. Not being able to wear boots was a nice touch. But why the need to max out your armour?

the armor in oblivion makes no sence anyway if you want to say is because their shape doesnt fit
take a high elf killing a bosmer with steel chest armor on the altmer doesnt have any problems wearing that so why the need of altering the shapes of argonians and kajiit with the excuse that thise way they would fit
as for easying desining i can undestand as with the bosmer altmer example just make the same armor bigger or smaller but other then that it doesnt makes sence to me
Jerry Cox

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:53 am

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand your argument.

I'm not saying that in Oblivion where Khajiit and Argonians walk flat on their feet they shouldn't be able to wear shoes.

In Morrowind the Khajiit and Argonians walked on their toes. Their feet and legs had completely different proportions. So I'm saying that graphically I prefer the look of tip-toeing Khajiit and that I don't understand why being able to wear boots was so important for people playing Khajiit in Morrowind.

It is of course a completely arbitrary limitation but when it comes to magically adjustable shoe sizes and magically shapechanging shoes, I rather have the latter as it balances convenience with style.
Chloe Botham

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 am

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand your argument.

In Morrowind the Khajiit and Argonians walked on their toes. Their feet and legs had completely different proportions. I'm not saying that in Oblivion where Khajiit and Argonians walk flat on their feet they shouldn't be able to wear shoes.

I'm saying that graphically I prefer the look of tip-toeing Khajiit and that I don't understand why being able to wear boots was so important for people playing Khajiit in Morrowind.

the reason i said thise was because what i understoot was the reason why the changed the shape in oblivion thise way was so they were be able to use full armor but i agree with you the the desinge from morrowind looked better and the wearing armor or not shouldnt be a isue of the shape as that doesnt make any sence in the game anyway already
IsAiah AkA figgy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:47 am

Would be kinda funny if the Khajiit cut out the soles of the boots and tied them around their feet wit the laces. Would make a nice model.

I also miss the general subtle alien feel. There are stranger sights to be had at local Renfair or Goth market. I'm not arguing for an all out all freakshow in Cyrodiil, it's not Sigil either but the subtle things like the legs, the horns, the black eyes, the red eyes, the slightly slanted eyes, 7'2 height.
Josephine Gowing

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:00 pm

I prefer the morrowind legs but I'm one of the boring folk who'd like a choice as long as it stays within the lore. Especially with the Khajiit in terms of the varience between more human to bestial looking.
sophie

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 am

Looking back at some older posts i found something that made me ESPECIALLY mad at Bethesda, it's that they actuall kinda FOOLED us into believing the beast races would still have the Morrowind leg style.

When posting screenshots one of the first was of a Daedroth which DID have those legs, sure it was a creature and therefor had a different bone anda nimation set but there was still a lot of hope for that. And then when they showed the first screenshot of an Argonian they deliberately cut it off at the legs and it even looked like they had CLAWS.
They deliberately fooled the fans and never gave info till VERY late into the games development, just to keep it secret long enough, not to make it a big surprise but to prevnt outrage till it was too late t ochange it again. I guess they learend from back when making Morrowind when they origianlly didn't want to make the beast races playable (NPC/creatures only) and only re-added them due to fan outcry. When trying to remove a playable race or poorly redesign them you best don't announce it till just a few weeks before release.
Dominic Vaughan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:41 am

I like the Daggerfall races the best.
Hairul Hafis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:06 am

why not use them all three in TES 5? Daggerfall Khajiit/Argonian, Morrowind Khajiit/Argonian and Oblivion Khajiit/Argonian.

problem solved. and Beth can spare the time/money for the extra coding, they are rich nowadays.
Melanie Steinberg

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:34 am

why not use them all three in TES 5? Daggerfall Khajiit/Argonian, Morrowind Khajiit/Argonian and Oblivion Khajiit/Argonian.

problem solved. and Beth can spare the time/money for the extra coding, they are rich nowadays.

If they'd do that that way the problem WOULD be solved. However that would mean making the meshes and animations for the morrowind style ones too which they didn't go for in Oblivion, in fact in Oblivion they didn't even go as far as making different looking mehses for ALL races and just re-used the same and just recolored it.
alicia hillier

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:52 am

yeah you are right. it is post-Oblivion Bethesda we are talking about here.
Kieren Thomson

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:09 pm

While the Khajiit have numerous subspecies, early lore says that the Ohmes (Arena) and Ohmes-raht (Daggerfall) are supposed to be the most common ones outside of their native province, because their more human-like appearance appealed to man and mer alike. If we were to only have one type in the game (and this is what I'd expect unless the game took place in Elsweyr), I'd say Morrowind's were the most distinct and interesting. When I see Morrowind's Khajiit, I think of the cat from The Cat in the Hat. When I see Oblivion's, I think of hidden DeviantArt submissions. :ahhh:

As for the Argonians, this is trickier - I would have to say to go with Morrowind's again, as they have their own elegance and beauty - especially with the color patterns on their skin. Oblivion's just looked like humans in alligator suits. And the shift from cool/neutral colors to those awful red and orange Argonians was painful as well.

Of course, I've also been considering it'd be cool if we had more beastial but more "cuddly" Khajiit, like http://www.imperial-library.info/intros/rg_sratha.jpg from Redguard. In essence you can think of him as being semblant of the Oblivion Khajiit, but there's something about him that makes him look totally huggable. :D

Lalla Vu

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:14 am

If they do great animations this time around (a pipe dream, one just have to look at how BOTH females and males of ALL races share the SAME walking animation *shudder*... :banghead: :rolleyes: ) they could reuse them over and over just adding/modifying as needed. Just making better meshes and reusing/adapting the animations would cut the art production by a fair amount.

But this is Bethesda we are talking about, so Nord male barbarians will end up sharing the same animations with Bosmer female spies again...
FirDaus LOVe farhana

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:37 am

But this is Bethesda we are talking about, so Nord male barbarians will end up sharing the same animations with Bosmer female spies again...

Morrowind's animations were overly rigid and masculine. The characters walked with massive, pretentiously manly strides, like in a David Hasselhoff film. They swung their weapons quickly and harshly. Even the women would run around arms akimbo like a football player. Oblivion's animations were overly squishy and feminine. The characters barely moved their arms when walking. The men bobbled them uneasily. Both genders stood with terrible posture, especially during idle talking animations. They swung their weapons in a very exaggerated but "uncertain", slow, and showoffy way. Men ran like schoolchildren.

I want to know how many games it'll take until Bethesda can land in the middle.
Cccurly

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:44 am

I want to know how many games it'll take until Bethesda can land in the middle.

Looking at Redguard it seems like there hasen't been too much improval over the years sadly.
Something only partly related to the topic, motion capture is ok but it DOESN'T work for animating lip movements too well.
Tracey Duncan

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion