The ?Beast races? design

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:06 am

A question ever since Oblivion (possibly before that too though) when Beth made the beast races more humanoid which, including me, disappointed quite a lot of fans.

So basically the question is, which design for the beast races did you prefer and for which reason?

I specially ask for the reason because a lot of people say "because they could wear boots/full helmets now" when they couldn't in Morrowind. However the point there is this could have VERY well been done with the more animal like version as well and in fact HAS been by modders.
Plus the helmet issue has never really been fully resolved anyway as they still just replace the head (while they do stretch a bit it's not enough to actually fit).
However I can still understand people preferring the ones from Oblivion too though I don't really want to it be from the wrong reasons.

My personal choice are the ones from Morrowind, I'd love to see those again, with better animations and more design options of course. Simply a bit more effort put into them, the same effort you'd expect from anything in the game really.
Though one of the choices is also "OTHER" design which would also go close in my decision since the Morrowind design could still use some improvements.

PS: I actually think they where so under-done in Morrowind because they where actually added pretty much as an afterthought after fans complained that they where supposed to be NPC only.

PPS: I know there also was ONE Argonian in Redguard, not sure if Khajiit where in there soemwhere and what they looked like so I didn't include those.
Kirsty Wood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:23 am

I like Oblivion's style just because it seems perfect to me. They strongly resemble animals, but also strongly resemble humans. I don't like the huge feet they had in Morrowind and I hate how it's almost demeaning to them. They are beast races, but they are very intelligent and very human-like in personality, so I like them to look like they are intelligent and human-like.
Mistress trades Melissa

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:37 am

PPS: I know there also was ONE Argonian in Redguard, not sure if Khajiit where in there soemwhere and what they looked like so I didn't include those.

They were basically like Morrowind's, but with normal legs.

Anyway, I prefer the Morrowind design, made them look a bit more bestial and alien, as opposed to the people-in-masks look of the other games. Although since everything in Morrowind was considerably more alien than the other games, they might not fit in as well in the more standard fantasy settings.
Bryanna Vacchiano

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:39 am

I prefer morrowinds design, because why exactly should a 'beast' race have a completely humanoid body type with a beastial face? Even if they are humanoid that doesn't meen they have to look it, there are races all over the place that are intelligent without looking humanoid.
Alycia Leann grace

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 pm

they might not fit in as well in the more standard fantasy settings.

Which is one more reason why i DON'T hope for a "standard fantasy setting", all togehter now, BOOOOORRIIIIIIINNG.
Roberta Obrien

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:57 am

Haha indeed, I've had enough of the standard fantasy setting, that was my main qaurrel with Oblivion, I meen how do you go from Morrowind to....That?
No Name

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Haha indeed, I've had enough of the standard fantasy setting, that was my main qaurrel with Oblivion, I meen how do you go from Morrowind to....That?

What's wrong with "That"? I thought the SI definitely fixed any problems with "That".
Epul Kedah

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:08 am

Heh it just seemed way to shalllow minded, not meening it as an insult.Though I could have worded that more politely anyways, basically what I am saying is morrowind had interesting people places creatures you know, the whole deal while Oblivion was just your typical rpg, really nothing special. And the SI definently was fun, I'm talking about vanilla Oblivion.
Mrs. Patton

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:55 am

I like Daniel_Kay's concept drawings the most. However, I'd say given the description of Mere-Glim, I'm going to go with Daggerfall. In addition, I thought they were WAY too skinny in MW, and the feet could have been less...beast-like? The concept of a more animal-like leg was fine, just not the execution.
Roberta Obrien

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:01 am

the very thing that makes those races so unique was there physical difference from the other races. That is why I prefer the morrowind look.
Samantha hulme

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:55 pm

I preferred the Argonians in Morrowind, really loved how they looked. As for the Khajiits, I'm probably tied with Daggerfall's Ohmes-rahts and Morrowind's Suthay-rahts
Jennifer May

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 pm

I personally do not play the beast races and so I do not care much for them. Despite this, I would very much like to see them made in a more "morrowind" way. Firstly, the races need far more diversity. anything taht makes each of the races stay out of the crowd is good in my book. And secondly, making it so will give the modders much wider field for tehir work. It is frustrating that in Oblivion there is just one body mesh for all the races. If the beast races had specific bodies we could see again what we did in Morrowind where humans had different body then elves (it is true the bodies did not look all that well, but the diversity was there).
FITTAS

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:42 am

The physical description of the Khajiit based on the lore detailing their birthing process makes them so varied that I kind of consider this a bit of a moot point. I don't know how it works with Argonians exactly. But when it comes to Khajiiti you can't really have a WRONG description per se based on any of the variations we've seen so far, because according to the lore, all those different breeds actually exist!

Now if you're asking what I'd like to see playable, or actually in the game: As far as I'm concerned the more varied they are the better. Chances are though that Beth would decide to fall into a single breed per beast race, and if that's the case I'd much much rather it fit the description of the ones we've seen between Morrowind and Oblivion. I think it'd be better if they were closer to Morrowind's envisioning because personally I think it makes them a lot more set apart from the other races, which is what makes them appealing in the first place. On the other hand, if they're going to do a poor job designing the models, animating them, and copping out by making it so that the beasties can't wear foot armor or head gear again, I'd rather they just stuck with Oblivion's general design approach.
Richard Dixon

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:33 am

I have never played Arena or Daggerfall so i dont know about that but i think the Khajiits and Argonians (and the Werecreatures for that matter) should be very animal like. I voted Morrowind but i think they where fine in Oblivion aswell... atleast the Khajiits... the Argonians has never been cool imo.

What exactly is the point of playing as a beast race (or Werecreature) if they almost look human anyway.
RObert loVes MOmmy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:47 am

I prefer Morrowind's take on the beast races for just about the same reason as everyone else - it actually made them different. I loved playing a beast race in Morrowind because I felt like my character was really different. Not so in Oblivion, where the beast races were just like everyone else only with fur/scales on the outside.
Jason Rice

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:52 pm

I voted for Morrowind's, but I think the best solution for TESV would be to have both. Have maybe 2-4 breeds of Argonian and 4-6 breeds of Khajiit to pick from. Problem solved.
Karl harris

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:38 am

morrowind style made them look more "alien", so that.
lucy chadwick

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 am

morrowind, hands down. they look like a real beast race, not simply a human with a different texture. The rest of the races could use more definition along morrowind's lines as well (differences in girth, for example)
cosmo valerga

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mMNZ7G0cBI (5:10) from the advanced game intro CGI :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_1wLELvyFo (2:38) the tavern barkeeper.
Michelle Smith

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mMNZ7G0cBI (5:10) from the advanced game intro CGI :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_1wLELvyFo (2:38) the tavern barkeeper.

Holy crap, is that khajiit, "speaking" khajiit as well?
[ becca ]

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:23 am

Oblivion

I play 1st person, so I don't look at them and as long as they were boots, make them look how they want in TES V.

EDIT: :facepalm: Wait a minute, what about NPCs, Alex?

I still prefer Oblivion though.
Michelle davies

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:04 am

If anything, I would pick the one from Morrowind. The near beast-like state of the Khajiit and Argonian will be great to make them much more unique and not a copy/paste human with very bad head mesh.

Oblivion

I play 1st person, so I don't look at them and as long as they were boots, make them look how they want in TES V.

EDIT: :facepalm: Wait a minute, what about NPC, Alex?

I am pretty sure they could have footwear for the beast-like foot that represent in Morrowind.
Marcus Jordan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:57 am

Oblivion

EDIT: :facepalm: Wait a minute, what about NPC, Alex?

do you prefer Oblivion as a game or the Beast races as they were portrayed in Oblivion? I'm asking because you're Avatar seems to be an argonian from morrowind.

Edit: well maybe it's not from morrowind, but the substantial difference between Oblivion beast races and Morrowind beast races, are their feet, and your avatar lizard sports Morrowind feet.
Oceavision

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:12 am

do you prefer Oblivion as a game or the Beast races as they were portrayed in Oblivion? I'm asking because you're Avatar seems to be an argonian from morrowind.

Edit: well maybe it's not from morrowind, but the substantial difference between Oblivion beast races and Morrowind beast races, are their feet, and your avatar lizard sports Morrowind feet.

I prefer the beast to look like from Oblivion, maybe because they have a human style and will be accepted by the humans, :shrug: .

As for my avatar, I put lizard man in google search and found that.
Harry Leon

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:17 am

There's no technical reason to not have multiple different "breeds" or "body builds", both for the beast and humanoid races. So that's what I'd prefer.
lilmissparty

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion