The ?Beast races? design

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:07 am

Morrowind. I agree with Qawsed, it will be great to make them much more unique.
kat no x

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:25 am

Morrowind. I agree with Qawsed, it will be great to make them much more unique.

Ehh, I just parroting on Daniel Kay's OP and anyone that wanted the beast race like that of Morrowind.
R.I.p MOmmy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:38 am

D_K's drawing are what I did envision Mere-Glim to be like; he's strong, but animal like. Throw on some muddy green scales with brown spines, and bam.
RObert loVes MOmmy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:36 am

morrowind, hands down. they look like a real beast race, not simply a human with a different texture. The rest of the races could use more definition along morrowind's lines as well (differences in girth, for example)

Indeed, It's so easy to make a human body with beast-like texture... Put some effort in it!
Wane Peters

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 pm

The Argonians in Morrowind looked pretty stupid. It may have been the animations though.

The animations for ALL characters in Morrowind looked pretty stupid, people just complained about it more for Argonians and Khajiit probably because their animations were different and tended to stand out more. But of course the animations will be improved between games, Oblivion had better character animations than Morrowind, I'm not saying they were anything impressive, but they were better, and I'm sure that the animations of any future Elder Scrolls games will look better than anything the series has seen to date. But if the animations look horrible, it's a fault of the animators not doing a good enough job, not the basic design.
Dagan Wilkin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:39 am

The animations for ALL characters in Morrowind looked pretty stupid, people just complained about it more for Argonians and Khajiit probably because their animations were different and tended to stand out more. But of course the animations will be improved between games, Oblivion had better character animations than Morrowind, I'm not saying they were anything impressive, but they were better, and I'm sure that the animations of any future Elder Scrolls games will look better than anything the series has seen to date. But if the animations look horrible, it's a fault of the animators not doing a good enough job, not the basic design.

Oblivion to F3, animations were also improved further, so it's certainly possible for things to improve.
Philip Rua

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:02 am

This I want more types of per beast race. Would Orc's count too because they come from goblins I think.

Orcs are Mer. They're Aldmer who were transformed when their god was digested by Boethiah and crapped out as Malacath.
Haley Cooper

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:24 pm

The overall concept of the Morrowind beast races was great, if slightly "overdone", but the limbs were slightly too "spindly" and the animations were terrible. If the "dog-legged" ankle joints were made a bit less pronounced but still there, or either the feet or lower leg segments a little shorter, they could be something half-way between MW and OB, and easier to animate without causing "waddling" issues. Actually, I can picture the Argonians walking with a bit of "waddle", but the Kajiit should walk very fluidly, befitting their high Agility. According to lore, the degree of "human-ness" of the Argonians depends on their exposure to Hist tree sap, and varies somewhat between individuals, which would be difficult to depict in-game. Two distinct "versions", both similar but one more "human" than the other, should be enough to give the proper impression.

The OB versions just looked like humans with ugly (and cheap) Halloween masks, and the descriptions of "beast races" in the earlier games don't exactly make me want to rush out and play them.

It all comes back to the lack of different body meshes for the different races, and/or "thin, average, and heavy" character bodies. When the typical Merchant has the same build as a Swordmaster or Barbarian, it takes a little extra effort to "swallow" it, from a "credibility" point of view. When the "beast races" look just like humans, the Orcs look just like humans, and the various species of elves all look like humans,only with pointy ears, a long snout, or tusks, it ruins the overall impression of it being a different world.
Kerri Lee

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:35 am

I like Oblivion's style just because it seems perfect to me. They strongly resemble animals, but also strongly resemble humans. I don't like the huge feet they had in Morrowind and I hate how it's almost demeaning to them. They are beast races, but they are very intelligent and very human-like in personality, so I like them to look like they are intelligent and human-like.

This is for me, too.
abi

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:22 am

I prefer Oblivions beast races...for the reason that they are more humanoid. I never liked playing the beast races but love them in game....and therefor would like to see more beastial races, from say morrowind.

I belive that like all other character attributes from OB that there should have been a slider for *beast-ness* To control that becase trhere ARE several species of both argorian and khajit....as well as the other non-playable beast races from TES's lore

...thats my 2 cents
Sakura Haruno

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 am

I agree that the beast races should have a more "bestial" design, but I don't think Morrowind implemented it properly.

Ideally, I'd like to see individual builds between the Argonians and Khajiits to further differantiate between them. Also, if there is to be equipment exclusive to men and mer, I'd like to see some armor and clothing exclusive to the beasts. It would up replay value, anyways.

Also, if you're going to make the beast races physically "different", please give them a movement animation that complements their physique. The Khajiit and Argonians of Morrowind didn't appear as agile and graceful as they're meant to be. Granted, no one exactly moved with grace in that game, but the beasts moved like they had a bad case of hemmoroids.
Steph

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 am

I agree that the beast races should have a more "bestial" design, but I don't think Morrowind implemented it properly.

Ideally, I'd like to see individual builds between the Argonians and Khajiits to further differantiate between them. Also, if there is to be equipment exclusive to men and mer, I'd like to see some armor and clothing exclusive to the beasts. It would up replay value, anyways.

Also, if you're going to make the beast races physically "different", please give them a movement animation that complements their physique. The Khajiit and Argonians of Morrowind didn't appear as agile and graceful as they're meant to be. Granted, no one exactly moved with grace in that game, but the beasts moved like they had a bad case of hemmoroids.

Agree with this especially the bit about Beast Race animation in MW. It looked awful.
Cayal

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:31 pm

morrowind are best from the tes games i have seen, their funny walk makes them even cooler
Abel Vazquez

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:33 pm

my 2 cents: Making an animal race human like as possible? What's the point, you might as well just make another human race. So I voted Morrowind like, but hopefully improved design like some people on these forums have suggested.
Mistress trades Melissa

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:56 am

Because they vary so much each single game, I decided that I prefer the whole bag of them. I wish that all the khajiit were included. See:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.imperial-library.info/interviews/dfcat1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.imperial-library.info/interviews/jobasha.shtml&usg=__v1-Sp3FbQMLzu7BXpRbOJiaXXSU=&h=184&w=110&sz=10&hl=en&start=11&itbs=1&tbnid=jpY7l_s3aD8nCM:&tbnh=102&tbnw=61&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddaggerfall%2Bkhajit%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US%3a%6ffficial

and

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.imperial-library.info/races/mw_khajiit.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.imperial-library.info/races/khajiit.shtml&usg=__OUGU8FwSZj3LwM-y2tc0DugM9xw=&h=300&w=193&sz=18&hl=en&start=4&itbs=1&tbnid=qh3LiG6tBLwKhM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=75&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddaggerfall%2Bkhajit%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US%3a%6ffficial
Baylea Isaacs

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:07 am

Because they vary so much each single game, I decided that I prefer the whole bag of them. I wish that all the khajiit were included. See:

That would be actually nice to see, I'm hoping that some day, we can see all forms, at least all humanoid forms, of Khajiit as playable races in a game, but I fear that outside of a game actually set in Elsweyr, we're never going to see that other then through mods. In the end, it would likely in the end be equivalent to adding more races that all happened to be variations of the same basic race (though really, in practice it would likely be the same as how we have multiple kinds of elves and humans.) however, that's probably more effort than Bethesda wants to put into them outside of their home province.
Donatus Uwasomba

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:57 am

That would be actually nice to see, I'm hoping that some day, we can see all forms, at least all humanoid forms, of Khajiit as playable races in a game, but I fear that outside of a game actually set in Elsweyr, we're never going to see that other then through mods. In the end, it would likely in the end be equivalent to adding more races that all happened to be variations of the same basic race (though really, in practice it would likely be the same as how we have multiple kinds of elves and humans.) however, that's probably more effort than Bethesda wants to put into them outside of their home province.

Actually one thing i fear is that IF they'd some day do Elsweyr, they'd probably find some lame excuse why there are no different khajiit types around anymore like "something disturbed the moon phases and now only one type is left", after all they already did something like that to explaind Cyrodiils sudden climate, wildlife and overall complete CULTURE change.
Meghan Terry

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Actually one thing i fear is that IF they'd some day do Elsweyr, they'd probably find some lame excuse why there are no different khajiit types around anymore like "something disturbed the moon phases and now only one type is left", after all they already did something like that to explaind Cyrodiils sudden climate, wildlife and overall complete CULTURE change.

I considered that possibility too, but since that might just make me not buy the game at all (at least until someone made a mod to restore things to the way they should be.) I refuse to acknowledge that Bethesda could actually do something like that.

And if Bethesda was doing a game in Elseweyr but didn't want to do all different Khajiit types, then they should have taken that into account before writing that piece of lore.
Ria dell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:26 am

I considered that possibility too, but since that might just make me not buy the game at all (at least until someone made a mod to restore things to the way they should be.) I refuse to acknowledge that Bethesda could actually do something like that.

And if Bethesda was doing a game in Elseweyr but didn't want to do all different Khajiit types, then they should have taken that into account before writing that piece of lore.

Not to mention the book goes into great detail about the different Khajiit types, even often referring to them as their subtype and not simply "Khajiit."
Lisha Boo

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:02 am

Not to mention the book goes into great detail about the different Khajiit types, even often referring to them as their subtype and not simply "Khajiit."

I assume you mean Infernal City? I've yet to read it, so I can't comment on it, however, it is important to remember that, as a novel, it's author doesn't face the same challenges and constraints a game developer would. Novels are a text based medium, writers use words to describe people, places, and events in order to tell a story, but games are different. When Bethesda makes video games, they use images and sounds to bring to life the various concepts for characters, events and places they create. Not to mention they have to design gameplay mechanics and so on, so sometimes concepts in the lore don't make it into the game, whether due to technical constraints, game balance reasons, or to reduce the amount of time and resources spent on the game. So what we see in the book doesn't necessarily indicate what we'll see when a game covers the same locations.

Of course, I still don't want to think about Bethesda so brutally screwing over one of my favorite races in the game, but just as there are discrepencies between what we actually see in the game and read about in the in game books, we must remember that the same may go for any Elder Scrolls books published in real life as well.
Jessie Butterfield

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 pm

You would only be allowed to play as one, but they would all be there if the game was in Elswyr
brian adkins

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:03 am

You would only be allowed to play as one, but they would all be there if the game was in Elswyr

If they're all there, then they should all be playable too (the humanoid ones, anyway, I think it would be hard to work playing as a Senche-Raht into the game.) Why can the savior of the world, or at least Elseweyr, only be one type of Khajiit, after all?
Rowena

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:44 am

Elsweyr - The Deserts of Aquina.

all the cats, kajiit, allmost human looking kajiit, large intelligent panthers, leopards, tribal kajiit, etc. (I dont know the actual names for them)

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=25023

Awsome mod.
Connor Wing

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:45 am

Elsweyr - The Deserts of Aquina.

all the cats, kajiit, allmost human looking kajiit, large intelligent panthers, leopards, tribal kajiit, etc. (I dont know the actual names for them)

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=25023

Awsome mod.

Too bad it's a mod, and we're here to discuss any future Elder Scrolls games, not fan made mods.

It isn't even very relavent to the subject of this thread, unless you're trying to suggest that Bethesda should use the designs for one of the types of Khajiit seen in it in a future game.
Greg Swan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am

Overall, I like the Oblivion Argonians best, that said, I like the Morrowind Argonians body structure more. personally, I think the best thing to do would be to slap the Oblivion Argonian coloration on a updated Morrowind Argonian body, along with the "hair" styles, and you are set. That is just me though... :shrug:
maria Dwyer

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion