The Hero of Kvatch vs Dragonborn

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Nah, you're all forgetting that the dear hero has spellmaking! :D

100% chameleon :woot:
Juanita Hernandez

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Ah great, so the Emperors were magical entities after all, I hate retcons. Well, I guess there's a t least one more reason for our Dovahkiin to walk like Talos/Tiber/Hjalti/whatever his name really was and mantle him. I could swear the whole thing was explained differently in Oblivion, but then again, who gives a crap about OB.

I'm sure if they took the time to learn the Thu'um, they'd be like the Dragonborn we know today.

Nah, you're all forgetting that the dear hero has spellmaking! :biggrin:

100% chameleon :woot:

Does Invisibility not work the same?
dean Cutler

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:21 am

Some idiot made a double post... oh wait, that was me :wallbash:
kiss my weasel

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:09 am

Shouts aren't magic.

The Way of the Voice is an ancient form of http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Nord magic that is based on the worship of the Wind as the domain of http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Kynareth, the Nordic aspect of Kynareth.http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Thu Through the use of the Voice, the power of a Nord can be formed into a thu'um, or shout
cosmo valerga

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:29 am

In Oblivion dragonborns weren't what they are now. Bethesda had to find a way to make everything work with the new and improved Dragonborns... It's because of the same change that there is suddenly doubts about the Nerevarine being an incarnate of Nerevar or a Shezzarine, I'm still going with the first option though.

That happens when you develop games and stories in a changing world.

Who said thet Nerevar wasn't Shezzarine :nerd: Thus Nerevarine would be incarnate of both.
HARDHEAD

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:28 am

In Oblivion dragonborns weren't what they are now. Bethesda had to find a way to make everything work with the new and improved Dragonborns... It's because of the same change that there is suddenly doubts about the Nerevarine being an incarnate of Nerevar or a Shezzarine, I'm still going with the first option though.

That happens when you develop games and stories in a changing world.
I don't really see why this would lead to doubts about the Nerevarine, the whole story is confirmed by different people in Morrowind (the game) and the only reason why the Tribunes start getting nervous as soon as the player character meets them.
Spooky Angel

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:36 pm

I don't really see why this would lead to doubts about the Nerevarine, the whole story is confirmed by different people in Morrowind (the game) and the only reason why the Tribunes start getting nervous as soon as the player character meets them.

Quoted from the prophecy: But Dragon-born and far-star-marked

Some people have taken that to mean the Nerevarine was a dragonborn, others like me just assume like we did then that it means born under the Empire.
DAVId Bryant

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:49 am

Dovah defeats Alduin. Something tells me that Alduin could've eaten Jyggalag for breakfast. Just sayin.
No chance, Jyggalag in his true form would destroy Alduin.
Chelsea Head

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:22 am

Quoted from the prophecy: But Dragon-born and far-star-marked

Some people have taken that to mean the Nerevarine was a dragonborn, others like me just assume like we did then that it means born under the Empire.
Well, when MW came out it certainly meant born under the Empire, but if you retcon it, it oculd mean Dovahkiin. It still wouldn't make sense, that's why I normally hate retcons because you can screw up so much with it. Not that I don't like the concept of the Dovahkiin, I just don't like old prophecies turned into crap and migcal emperor dynasties.

No chance, Jyggalag in his true form would destroy Alduin.
Nope, Alduin is the World-Eater. He did already destroy Jyggalag many times, since the current kalpa isn't the first one.
Rhysa Hughes

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 pm

It doesn't matter if Nerevar/Nerevarine and Septims were actual DBs, becouse there was no Dragons. :bomb_ie:
Allison Sizemore

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:58 am

Does Invisibility not work the same?

No. Invisibility is weaker because the Dragonborn loses it the moment he makes a move. This is a huge issue because....take for example the CoC and the Courier. Both can detect invisible enemies as they please (Detect life is a spammable buff for CoC, the Courier has ED-E's enhanced sensors which are a constant passive) while simultaneously remaining stealthed themselves (Chameleon or Stealth-boy). If the Dragonborn fights one of them, he can't exploit invisibility to remain somewhat difficult to hit because he's gotta spam a shout or a magic spell just to see them. Hell, even when fighting the Nerevarine, who CANNOT detect invisible enemies, the Dragonborn can, at best, stalemate him simply because the Dragonborn CANNOT detect the Nerevarine without first leaving stealth. Even if he downs another potion to go invisible immediately after the shout, simply revealing himself sends a message of "I see you for the next few seconds, run in the other direction til the effect wears off."
Jessica Raven

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:45 am

Well, when MW came out it certainly meant born under the Empire, but if you retcon it, it oculd mean Dovahkiin. It still wouldn't make sense, that's why I normally hate retcons because you can screw up so much with it. Not that I don't like the concept of the Dovahkiin, I just don't like old prophecies turned into crap and migcal emperor dynasties.

Completely agree, but well it is what it is and we can't really change anything about it.
Kevan Olson

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Common assumption but not true.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/book-dragonborn.

Reading this text, it doesn't really make the distinction that Tiber's bloodline are all Dragonborn in the same sense that the the Dovahkiin (PC), is. My interpretation of it doesn't change - the progenitors of their lines (Alessia, Reman, Tiber) may have all been Dragonborn, but I do not think their descendants were. No doubt some vestiges of that power remains, gradually distilled over time though, in my opinion. If each and every one of their lines were all Dovahkiin, I do imagine there to be quite a few scattered around Tamriel presently. By virtue of bastards et al
jenny goodwin

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Ok how about this.... The Lone Wanderer would win because Fawkes is such a tank!
FoReVeR_Me_N

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:57 am

I can't remember the title of the book, but in Morrowwind there was one that told the story of Talos: how he walked the 7000 steps, learned the Voice, allied with Underking, then betrayed the Underking, and took his essence, Conqured Tamerial, left Resdayn (former Morrowwind) alone due to the Tribunal and both sides sign the treaty for (at the time) present day Morrowind - Empire alliance.

So the essence of the Dragonborn myth, legend, people.... were all there basically since Morrowwind,

ps: in the same story the Underking hearing the prophecy of the Dragonborn went to the throat of the world to learn from the greybeards. but the greybreads said that he was not who they seek (as they talked they were 'shouting'). Due to not being a Dragonborn the underking was blasted to piece and scattered all over; and over time was able to 'rebuild' himself.... it is then that he seeks the young man called Talos and requested to join him.

pps: last bit. The underking wants to join Talos because he wanted him to conquer Morrowwind due to his (the Underking) desire for revenge against the Tribunal.

I will try to find the title of the book and repost it here.

edit: here it is http://www.imperial-library.info/content/arcturian-heresy
NAkeshIa BENNETT

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Completely agree, but well it is what it is and we can't really change anything about it.
Well, we can still hope that in the next TES they won't change the events of Skyrim at least. Another reason why Black Marsh should be our next stop, since every story there would be rather original and wouldn't have to rely heavily on other tales from the different regions. And the Hist are basically Cthulhu in plant form, which makes everything automatically awesome.

Reading this text, it doesn't really make the distinction that Tiber's bloodline are all Dragonborn in the same sense that the the Dovahkiin (PC), is. My interpretation of it doesn't change - the progenitors of their lines (Alessia, Reman, Tiber) may have all been Dragonborn, but I do not think their descendants were. No doubt some vestiges of that power remains, gradually distilled over time though, in my opinion. If each and every one of their lines were all Dovahkiin, I do imagine there to be quite a few scattered around Tamriel presently. By virtue of bastards et al
That's why I still believe in the "Dragonblood != Dragonborn" thing, but let's face it, it's not the first plot hole Beth has dig themselves into. And since TES isn't ASoIaF there shouldn't be that many bastards running around.
carly mcdonough

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:48 pm

I get that, but then I have this for you:

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/trials-saint-alessia
http://www.imperial-library.info/category/tags/amulet-kings

Both state you need the blood of Akatosh in order to light the Dragon Fires, the first book says that they are the same thing, those two say you need it to light the dragonfires. We know that the First, second and Third Empire all had Emperors that lit the dragon fires without blood relationships to each other.

So it does not look like dragonblood is something you get from your parents, or maybe it is. But you can also get it by virtue alone.

SNIP

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/arcturian-heresy-0

Well, we can still hope that in the next TES they won't change the events of Skyrim at least. Another reason why Black Marsh should be our next stop, since every story there would be rather original and wouldn't have to rely heavily on other tales from the different regions. And the Hist are basically Cthulhu in plant form, which makes everything automatically awesome.

I'd prefer Elsweyr. Just surviving in Black Marsh for anybody that's not Argonian would be a huge retcon in itself.
Lynette Wilson

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:35 am

No. Invisibility is weaker because the Dragonborn loses it the moment he makes a move. This is a huge issue because....take for example the CoC and the Courier. Both can detect invisible enemies as they please (Detect life is a spammable buff for CoC, the Courier has ED-E's enhanced sensors which are a constant passive) while simultaneously remaining stealthed themselves (Chameleon or Stealth-boy). If the Dragonborn fights one of them, he can't exploit invisibility to remain somewhat difficult to hit because he's gotta spam a shout or a magic spell just to see them. Hell, even when fighting the Nerevarine, who CANNOT detect invisible enemies, the Dragonborn can, at best, stalemate him simply because the Dragonborn CANNOT detect the Nerevarine without first leaving stealth. Even if he downs another potion to go invisible immediately after the shout, simply revealing himself sends a message of "I see you for the next few seconds, run in the other direction til the effect wears off."

Thanks, I wasn't aware because I'm not much of a mage
Jack Bryan

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:38 am

Depends.
Je suis

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks Fish87, you ninjaed me just when I found it. :thumbsup:
Sabrina garzotto

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:57 pm

I'd prefer Elsweyr. Just surviving in Black Marsh for anybody that's not Argonian would be a huge retcon in itself.
Black Marsh has its outskirts where non-Argonians can live and the Hist can control everything there, but you're right, there would probably be even more retcon. Elsweyr would be interesting too, but the political situation there would make it impossible for non-mer races to roam free. As long as it's not Cyrodiil again I'm fine with everything Beth will come up with.
Lisa Robb

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Fish87, you ninjaed me just when I found it. :thumbsup:

I live to serve :smile:

Black Marsh has its outskirts where non-Argonians can live and the Hist can control everything there, but you're right, there would probably be even more retcon. Elsweyr would be interesting too, but the political situation there would make it impossible for non-mer races to roam free. As long as it's not Cyrodiil again I'm fine with everything Beth will come up with.

True, but that could be explained by weakening Thalmor or the fact that Elsweyr is still a client kingdom and not actually a part of the Aldmeri dominion persé, but that's stretching it.
Isabella X

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:07 am

Hammerfall maybe ?
Stephanie Nieves

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Hammerfall maybe ?

I hope not, I want to see something new and refreshing, something completely alien.
Marcia Renton

Post » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:38 pm

True, but that could be explained by weakening Thalmor or the fact that Elsweyr is still a client kingdom and not actually a part of the Aldmeri dominion persé, but that's stretching it.
Or the Thalmor get curb stomped by the Dovahkiin, they have to at some point.

I hope not, I want to see something new and refreshing, something completely alien.
To be fair, Hammerfell would be a geographical change from the snowy Skyrim. And the homeland of the Redguards would bring another interesting political situation, since they have at least at the moment no allies and are surrounded by enemies.
Thomas LEON

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim