[RELz] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:49 pm

The 1.0 version of the Unofficial Patch, even though it said it is not compatible with any FO3 version except 1.1, was still known to work. Now you seem to be making an even stronger point that it is not to be used with any version but 1.1.

So, first, is this really true and if so, what exactly is "incompatible" with using it with the latest patch? Do you endorse using the Fake Patch...I'm a little hesitant to use something like that not only because of the nature of it, but also because I use Crossfire and from what I understand there are optimizations for Crossfire/SLI in the later patches not included in the Fake Patch.

EDIT: sorry...it appears the Unofficial patch is for 1.1 +, which I assume also means 1.4.
Naomi Ward

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Quarn, I recommend having the Archive Invalidation Invalidated BSA's name just shortened to "AII" and the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch BSA shortened to just "UF3P". Remember, there's a character limit in the BSA load list for those sticking with the 1.0.15 patch because of the VATS bugs.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there anything special I'd have to do in order to get this working correctly with the Fake Patch? Are there any compatibility issues between these two? Cheers!
April

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:05 am

A mutfruit to the first person who states what seems different about Dogmeat. ;)

Also, remember that if you have Plasma Rifle Awesomefied, you'll need to re-install it because UF3P has a fix to the vanilla rifle. You'll probably get an unpleasant-to-the-eye reminder next time you whip out the plasma rifle, though... ;) Nevermind, the BSA nature nullifies this problem now.

Quarn, I recommend having the Archive Invalidation Invalidated BSA's name just shortened to "AII" and the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch BSA shortened to just "UF3P". Remember, there's a character limit in the BSA load list for those sticking with the 1.0.15 patch because of the VATS bugs.

I decided against using a BSA to replace existing content as there where too many issues unfortunatly :( So what you said about Plasma Rifle Awesomefied is still correct.

BSA's are automatically loaded with their associated plugin since the official patch v1.1 which avoids the INI issues (eg. My Plugin.esp\My Plugin.esm will automatically load My Plugin.bsa, My Plugin - blahblah.bsa, My Pluginwooooo.bsa ect).

Forgive my ignorance, but is there anything special I'd have to do in order to get this working correctly with the Fake Patch? Are there any compatibility issues between these two? Cheers!

Nah there shoudn't be any problems at all.
Bethany Watkin

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Still a hair confused.

Going through the rigamarole for the fake patch (Doing a clean install in anticipatoin of my new graphics card <3) and I have a question.

So with the fake patch when I went to shorten the name of my Archive Invalidation Invalidated bsa and the respective sArchive entry, I noticed there wasn't anything mentioned for the .bsa that was installed with the latest version (grabbed just a bit ago) of the Unofficial patch. And then in the post above mine you talk about how .bsas are automatically loaded with the plugin since the 1.1 patch. So with the fake patch am I good with no sArchive entry for the UF3P bsa or should I put one in?

Terribly sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just a little confused.
Greg Cavaliere

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Still a hair confused.

Going through the rigamarole for the fake patch (Doing a clean install in anticipatoin of my new graphics card <3) and I have a question.

So with the fake patch when I went to shorten the name of my Archive Invalidation Invalidated bsa and the respective sArchive entry, I noticed there wasn't anything mentioned for the .bsa that was installed with the latest version (grabbed just a bit ago) of the Unofficial patch. And then in the post above mine you talk about how .bsas are automatically loaded with the plugin since the 1.1 patch. So with the fake patch am I good with no sArchive entry for the UF3P bsa or should I put one in?

Terribly sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just a little confused.

You need UF3P's BSA in the SArchiveList if you're using the v1.0 exe just like you need to add the DLC's BSA to it if you're using the v1.0 exe.
Amy Gibson

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:44 am

That's what I kind of figured but I wasn't 100% clear, thanks for the speedy reply Quarn and an additional thanks for all your hard work on the Unofficial patch (Both Oblivion and Fallout 3) and other related works. :goodjob:
Mashystar

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:00 am

I'm having an issue it seems. The stuff that the patch fixes (like VATS) works great but all my stuff from Anchorage / The Pitt is invisible and pops up a big exclamation when dropped on the ground.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Lugaru/ScreenShot72.jpg

Currently the patches load around 9, 10 and 11, way after fallout, pitt and anchorage. Any advice?
Kelly James

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm having an issue it seems. The stuff that the patch fixes (like VATS) works great but all my stuff from Anchorage / The Pitt is invisible and pops up a big exclamation when dropped on the ground.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Lugaru/ScreenShot72.jpg

Currently the patches load around 9, 10 and 11, way after fallout, pitt and anchorage. Any advice?

Well does uninstalling UF3P resolve the problem? Exclamation mark = missing content and since it is all "missing" it sounds like the BSA's for OA\The Pitt arn't being loaded, Only time that happens is if you're using the v1.0 exe since it doesn't support auto loading BSA's... or you deleted the BSA's.

The UF3P's for the DLCs don't do much atm so I don't really know why it would do that...
Christina Trayler

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks very much for fixing the Survival Guide bug that fast, Quarn!

UF3P = Essential

:foodndrink:
Poetic Vice

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:01 pm

What exactly changed between 1.1.1 and 1.1.2? I am not a big fan of Fomods (I liked Oblivions omods so much better for the conflict detection, ease of use, etc), and use about 75 mods and tons of retextures that overwrite each other, so it is not simple to just say "just uninstall and reinstall". Is it just the esp file, the esp and bsa, or any other loose meshes/textures? I reinstalled every one of my mods for 1.1.1 last night and it took over 2 hours and don't want to do it again for 1.1.2.

Thanks!
Eileen Collinson

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Well does uninstalling UF3P resolve the problem? Exclamation mark = missing content and since it is all "missing" it sounds like the BSA's for OA\The Pitt arn't being loaded, Only time that happens is if you're using the v1.0 exe since it doesn't support auto loading BSA's... or you deleted the BSA's.

The UF3P's for the DLCs don't do much atm so I don't really know why it would do that...

The very long BSA names for UF3P and AII may have pushed the O:A BSAs over the edge of the 256-character limit.
Jack

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:19 pm

I reaplied the bethesda patch, then the unnoficial and everything worked so I think Im good.
Joe Bonney

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:33 pm

I reaplied the bethesda patch, then the unnoficial and everything worked so I think Im good.

But now you have broken VATS.

Try renaming the ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated! BSA to "AII.BSA" and rename the UnofficialFallout3Patch.bsa to "UF3P.bsa". Be sure to rename them in the INI as well.

You could try shortening the names of the Anchorage BSAs as well to squeeze a few more characters out of the 256-char limit.
Julie Ann

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:37 am

hopefully that will have my game running the way it should. thanks!
JaNnatul Naimah

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:07 pm

What exactly changed between 1.1.1 and 1.1.2? I am not a big fan of Fomods (I liked Oblivions omods so much better for the conflict detection, ease of use, etc), and use about 75 mods and tons of retextures that overwrite each other, so it is not simple to just say "just uninstall and reinstall". Is it just the esp file, the esp and bsa, or any other loose meshes/textures? I reinstalled every one of my mods for 1.1.1 last night and it took over 2 hours and don't want to do it again for 1.1.2.

Thanks!

It is in the full version history which is a tiny download also on nexus... with the proper health percentage sum I used backslashes \ instead of forward slashes / which broke 2 scripts (medic power armor and part of the wasteland survival guide quest, so just a change in the UF3P esp), thing is it is Bethesda's fault! :P The GECK doesn't complain if you use a backslash.

I may have a manual version up is a few days, just a pain having to upload such big files so I'm waiting to make sure v1.1.2 is "fine" first.

edit: just uploaded the v1.1.2 esp on nexus.
Eve(G)

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:24 pm

Hey Quarn,

I just downloaded the last version of the patch and I'm curious about something. I Madcat's post saying that UFP fixes the VATS problem, but that problem does not occur at all in my game and neither does the accelerated mouse bug, and yes my game is patched to the latest official version but those problems never ever seemed to happen for me.

I haven't installed the UFP yet and I'm wondering should I be worried about using the UFP? Would these fixes for things I don't have broken screw up my game? Could they screw up my VATS and my mouse since they work without the unofficial patch?

Thanks

Oh thanks Col. Noble I thought the VATS bug was something I read about VATS stuttering or failing to open accurately, something like that. Nevermind then, thanks for the info.
no_excuse

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:25 am

if you're at patch 1.4 then you do have the bug... it's related to the perks not updating your accuracy... you could still be accurate with high skill, but those perks don't add the % bonus, like they should.
scorpion972

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:11 pm

Hey Quarn,

I just downloaded the last version of the patch and I'm curious about something. I Madcat's post saying that UFP fixes the VATS problem, but that problem does not occur at all in my game and neither does the accelerated mouse bug, and yes my game is patched to the latest official version but those problems never ever seemed to happen for me.

I haven't installed the UFP yet and I'm wondering should I be worried about using the UFP? Would these fixes for things I don't have broken screw up my game? Could they screw up my VATS and my mouse since they work without the unofficial patch?

Thanks

Oh thanks Col. Noble I thought the VATS bug was something I read about VATS stuttering or failing to open accurately, something like that. Nevermind then, thanks for the info.

The mouse fix is an optional part, simply uncheck it in the installer. Shortcuts are also created to apply\remove the mouse fix in your startmenu.
Dj Matty P

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:19 pm

one simple question:

Does this patch only fix the accuracy-perks or does it fix the whole "Vats-Accuracy"....in the 1.4 patch it is hilarious easy to hit the legs and arms, while the torso is a hard to hit?

Backstory of my Question:

I used the 1.4 Version before, but now I am using the fake patch, simply because of the mentioned bug above :), but the Fake Patch or the 1.0.15 version doesn't run really stable on my PC (changed nothing but the fake patch on my mod list and game crashes more often (not THAT much, that it is unplayable, but it is somewhat annoying, so all in all I want try to get rid of the Fake Patch or the old Version :)

Thanks in advance,
Hoderick
Maddy Paul

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:48 am

The Fake Patch plugin is extremely unlikely to cause problems, particularly if it's loaded right after Fallout3.esm. If you're using a 1.0.0.15 .exe, you have to trim your .bsa names down and edit the corresponding entries in your sArchiveList= entries within your .ini's. You have to keep the entries under 255 characters or any archives including or after the 255'th character won't load. You might, depending upon how many archives you have, need to extract a few to get everything working. This will become even more important after Broken Steel comes out as the additional archives are definitely going to push the character count over the top.-_- I REALLY hope Beth puts out a proper patch soon. Although Fake Patch is my most downloaded mod, I can't wait to pull it once it's no longer needed.

http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/charcount.shtml

Note: The spaces after commas aren't needed.
Kyra

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Bethesda needs to hire you to do their QA, you seem to being doing a better job at it than they are.
Gwen

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:44 am

The Fake Patch plugin is extremely unlikely to cause problems, particularly if it's loaded right after Fallout3.esm. If you're using a 1.0.0.15 .exe, you have to trim your .bsa names down and edit the corresponding entries in your sArchiveList= entries within your .ini's. You have to keep the entries under 255 characters or any archives including or after the 255'th character won't load. You might, depending upon how many archives you have, need to extract a few to get everything working. This will become even more important after Broken Steel comes out as the additional archives are definitely going to push the character count over the top.-_- I REALLY hope Beth puts out a proper patch soon. Although Fake Patch is my most downloaded mod, I can't wait to pull it once it's no longer needed.

http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/charcount.shtml

Note: The spaces after commas aren't needed.

Actually I don't use any archive besides the standard Fallout's, OA and Pitt... :)

My Problem is simple: I converted a 1.4 hard safe into a 1.0.15 + fake patch...and after this rollback my game runs less stable :) From almost no CTD to 1 CTD every 45 mins (not that huge problem since I don't have that much time to play much longer in a row, but like written before somewhat annoying and simply trying to get back to 1.4 for tests :)

Since that was my only change :)

By the way simple side question: What's the pros and cons of packed BSA's? since my mods (FEW, MMM, FOOK don't use any by common)
Ashley Campos

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Actually I don't use any archive besides the standard Fallout's, OA and Pitt... :)

My Problem is simple: I converted a 1.4 hard safe into a 1.0.15 + fake patch...and after this rollback my game runs less stable :) From almost no CTD to 1 CTD every 45 mins (not that huge problem since I don't have that much time to play much longer in a row, but like written before somewhat annoying and simply trying to get back to 1.4 for tests :)

Since that was my only change :)

By the way simple side question: What's the pros and cons of packed BSA's? since my mods (FEW, MMM, FOOK don't use any by common)
UF3P adds ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa into your sArchiveList, so it's likely your sArchiveList is over 255 characters or doesn't include all of the needed .bsa's to let everything work properly, so even with only the official .bsa's and a standard UF3P installation, your archives won't all open using a 1.0.0.15 (Fake Patch) setup...

For example, the below is @ 257 characters:
sArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa, Anchorage - Main.bsa, Anchorage - Sounds.bsa, ThePitt - Main.bsa, ThePitt - Sounds.bsa
If you add the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.bsa as well, you get the below which is 289 characters:
sArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa, Anchorage - Main.bsa, Anchorage - Sounds.bsa, ThePitt - Main.bsa, ThePitt - Sounds.bsa, Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.bsa
VERSUS 229 characters after condensing names/getting rid of unneeded spaces between archives:
sArchiveList=AII.bsa,UF3P.bsa,Fallout - Textures.bsa,Fallout - Meshes.bsa,Fallout - Voices.bsa,Fallout - Sound.bsa,Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa,Fallout - Misc.bsa,Anchorage - Main.bsa,Anchorage - Sounds.bsa,ThePitt - Main.bsa,ThePitt - Sounds.bsa

In either case, provided a 1.0.0.15 installation is tended to such that either the archives which won't fit are unpacked or the names are condensed, there won't be stability issues over reverting. Personally, I see no advantage whatsoever in the use of .bsa's and unpack everything (including the DLCs' .bsa's) except for the Fallout3 archives.

Please? Oh how I wish they'd implemented the auto-load feature in 1.0.0.15 -_- I can't freakin' wait 'til Beth puts out a patch that fixes VATS so everyone can get back on the same page again.
gandalf

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:31 am

After reading that much about the 255 character limit, I went to check my Fallout.ini. I use AII and the latest UF3P. My entry looks like this:

SArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa

Well, there isn't an entry for the UF3P. Should I add it manually? I used the installer version...
Zach Hunter

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:47 pm

After reading that much about the 255 character limit, I went to check my Fallout.ini. I use AII and the latest UF3P. My entry looks like this:

SArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa

Well, there isn't an entry for the UF3P. Should I add it manually? I used the installer version...
If you're using a 1.0.0.15 Fallout3.exe. per the Fake Patch methodology, you'll have to either unpack that .bsa (in which case you can delete it afterward, or you should add it to your sArchiveList or its contents won't load.

The below is only 195 characters and will work fine:
sArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa,Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.bsa,Fallout - Textures.bsa,Fallout - Meshes.bsa,Fallout - Voices.bsa,Fallout - Sound.bsa,Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa,Fallout - Misc.bsa

Note that if you get a DLC(s), the character count will go over the top unless you either condense archive names or unpack a .bsa or two.

Also, @ Quarn: Thanks for continuing to make FO3 age like wine! :) You might want to see about including http://ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa,Unofficial%20Fallout%203%20Patch.bsa,Fallout%20-%20Textures.bsa,Fallout%20-%20Meshes.bsa,Fallout%20-%20Voices.bsa,Fallout%20-%20Sound.bsa,Fallout%20-%20MenuVoices.bsa,Fallout%20-%20Misc.bsa ammo press fix with the next version as the ammo press not working is not specific to which version of Fallout one's using.
JaNnatul Naimah

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3