Why do Bethesda insist on NOT having capes in TES? (console

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Cause capes are cheesy.

That's it! done, close the book, case closed, thread, shut it down.

:P it's true though, they are pretty cheese and Cliche in medieval games.
Emily Martell

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:06 am

Probably the most trivial complaint I've read on these boards.

Assuredly you haven't seen much then. Cloaked adventurers are a classic part of fantasy settings, their absence has always been conspicuous.
Ash

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:02 am

if that is directed to my comment about capes in combat... that's a movie. point invalid :tongue:

though i did enjoy the books, never watched the movie... was it good?

It was inspired by your comment but not directed at it since you may have a point about cloaks in combat for soldiers, I don't know.

I was actually just thinking of the books when I looked it up. They wore cloaks there too. The movies are a fairly faithful adaptation, like 70% I'd say. Certainly worth watching.
john page

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Assuredly you haven't seen much then. Cloaked adventurers are a classic part of fantasy settings, their absence has always been conspicuous.

I eat cloaked adventurers in dark woods whilst listening to pagan metal and drinking strong ale with trolls. I suppose that's why they stopped wearing capes some time ago.
Charlotte X

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:21 pm

I don't think the demand for capes is that high. In fact, I usually find people wishing to remove them from the outfits that include them.

I also think they are rather hard to implement well. Low demand, high cost, they won't be included.

However, I can say this about TES: They never will be able to include all the clothing options that people want. Everyone wants expanded slots and options when it comes to dressing up their characters, and there's no way Bethesda can ever put in enough.

This is why I always recommend to people: If you care much about customizing your character's looks, think long and hard about the PC version. Clothing and armor mods are endless, the things that Bethesda can include are not.
Wayne Cole

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 am

I would like to wear capes in Skyrim. Like maybe a special, and sweet looking, cape you can get after maxing out all skills? Will make doing all that work worth doing, if you ask me.
Matt Terry

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:05 am

Well, Beth has a certain history of insisting on the exclusion of a lot of things... *cough*spears*cough*
Lisa

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:06 am

I agree that a vast fantasy world isn't complete without standalone Cloaks.
Soraya Davy

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:28 am

Source?

OP: I'm sure it's because of physics, I don't think players would want a stiff cape that didn't move realistically.
That doesn't explain nightingale armor being so popular.

More capes! It was the only thing I really pushed for pr-release. Fur cloak or cape would be sweet.
Naazhe Perezz

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:19 pm

That doesn't explain nightingale armor being so popular.

More capes! It was the only thing I really pushed for pr-release. Fur cloak or cape would be sweet.
I'd say it has more to do with Nightingale set practically screaming "NINJAAAAAHHHH!" and less with the cape. I personally love it when killer keo and MAK07 decided capes are jokes and got rid of 'em in their "remastered" Nightingale armor. The cape moves so stiff and it goddang bends with your rump when you sneak. Yeah I know even Dynasty Warriors 6 has working capes, but I'd rather have a physics enabled cape than a makeshift layer of Stiffs
Austin England

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:57 am

"Everybody wants them"

That's news to me because if everybody wanted them, they would've been in Skyrim.
Manuel rivera

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:05 am

I agree.
I want capes and i also want more Game of thrones like armors,like in the mod winter is coming,Want more pelt/fur armor
Wanda Maximoff

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Capes are just not logical, they provide no protection and only drag you down, and capes where never really that common in the middle ages besides royalty, I think they would ruin the elder scroll series if they where added, that's why I love these games cause there so authentic (besides the magic and dragons I know...) they hold true to that era with the way armor looks and how towns are built and the way npc's act.
Add Meeh

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:52 am

I Would love to see capes in Skyrim, but I would also like to see some more options in hoods for light armor, the only hoods are for the TG and DB.

Mage hoods

Capes are purely decorational.

And the generic clothes you find at vendors and in wardrobes, cupboards, chest, etc. aren't?
e.Double

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Have you even seen the Incredibles? Real heroes don't wear capes. End of story
NIloufar Emporio

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:31 am

Have you even seen the Incredibles? Real heroes don't wear capes. End of story

Batman, Superman, Spiderman (he did were a web cape for a little while), Thor, Spawn, etc. etc.
Ysabelle

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:29 am

You like capes ? play Assassin's Creed or Batman.

In this last you're even "forced" to wear it if 'm not wrong :biggrin: the same one during the whole game - and with pretty animations too :banana:
joseluis perez

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Batman, Superman, Spiderman (he did were a web cape for a little while), Thor, Spawn, etc. etc.

It was a joke, I just couldn't find the link to the video. I'd obviously not complain about capes being added in
Cesar Gomez

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 pm

It was a joke, I just couldn't find the link to the video. I'd obviously not complain about capes being added in

I shoulda picked up on that, really :blush:

Standalone capes would get my vote. Being a roleplayer, capes would open up a lot more options
Katharine Newton

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:27 pm

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12092
There is also the Winter is Coming mod, which has fur cloaks. They can be used together.
Britney Lopez

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:39 am

OP answered your own question. Consoles. They are ancient and can't handle anything like a cape. It's the PC users that get shafted in the vanilla game due to this.
Hannah Barnard

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:42 am

OP answered your own question. Consoles. They are ancient and can't handle anything like a cape. It's the PC users that get shafted in the vanilla game due to this.

Hate to crap on your point, but computers predate consoles by almost 100 years. If either can be refered to as ancient it's computers not consoles.
Sophie Louise Edge

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:13 am

A PC becomes outdated faster than a console. You buy a new PC, within three years you're beginning to realize that your PC can't handle larger games. But your trusty old console will still be able to.

OP: I definitely agree. I just downloaded a cape mod for Oblivion and it's fantastic. It's not animated, but one of the cape sizes fits perfectly and looks great without any animation. I'll be able to put up a screenshot in the morning. I think it'd be nice for all capes to carry a standard ’resist frost 15%' enchantment, considering I'd wear them to keep myself warm!
Matt Terry

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:52 pm

A PC becomes outdated faster than a console. You buy a new PC, within three years you're beginning to realize that your PC can't handle larger games. But your trusty old console will still be able to.

I've made this point before and it was met with "if you get a top end PC, you don't have to upgrade so often if at all". What PC players seem to constantly forget is that not everyone can afford even a half decent PC, let alone the upgrades.
Chrissie Pillinger

Post » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:00 am

Consoles are ancient in their hardware,i think this is what he /she mean.

And by the way, even a modest pc assembled 5 years ago could easily be (still) better than any console available now in terms of gaming performances :smile:

The main "bottleneck" on consoles is their memory limit,but i think that this is Ot to discuss here; however,a simple cape isn't so difficult to do after all - even on consoles.
Danger Mouse

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim