Why is everyone being so pessimistic?

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:50 am

There is always a reason, whether you like it or not.

Sorry, let me change that to "good reason"
Taylah Illies

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:35 am

Misery loves company.
Samantha Mitchell

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:38 am

I think everyone is just getting antsy. Go on any game forum with a decent following and you'll see the same. Makes no since whatsoever, Especially
the Bioware forums :lol:

lol are you kidding me I remeber the outbreak of RAGE for Dragon Age 2 when the developers revealed all of the Romance options would be bisixual.
Elisabete Gaspar

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Because people need to whine about something..

but really just don't take them seriously.. when someone is posting they are considering not to buy the game because they don't like the enemy's health bar.... you tottaly lost all respect you could possibly have.

This game is going to be awarded with many.. many awards and believe me... Skyrim will deserve them and many more!
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:47 am

Sorry, let me change that to "good reason"

Relative* reason. Your opinion is one among many. The devs are going to make what they want, and what the fans they care about want. Not the ones who open threads to complain all of the time. If I had to guess they probably ignore the attribute threads after the fourth or fifth one. Same with the hand to hand threads. etc.
Bird

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Because this is a video game forum about a game that has yet to be released........

/thread
Leilene Nessel

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:07 am

Its the fans who got into the series early who dont want to see any change and want to play the same game over and over.

Not entirely true. I have been playing since 1994, and I am really liking the improvements. I am sure there are others like myself.

However, it will probably be a long hot summer...
Arnold Wet

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Unrealistic expectations, lack of understanding of the reasons behind the choices...
Talitha Kukk

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:47 pm

I agree, the pessimism on this forum and the outright whining threads for absolutely no reason is just getting ridiculous as of late. People complaining how the cities will be too small, yet we've seen 0 cities. LOL. What a joke.

But, on the other hand, I know why some might be pessimistic, and rightfully so. I'm a huge Morrowind fan. I grew up playing Morrowind, it's probably my favorite game of all time. The complexity, the detail, the exploration, it was just fun.
And then here comes Oblivion, with it's streamlined gameplay, quest markers, and fast travel. Completely ruined it for me. I hate that game because of those features. It turns TES into something that I don't see TES as.

I just hope they don't further straight up dumb down Skyrim. I hope those features are toggleable, because they SHOULD be. If I want to use a quest marker, that's baller, let me, but if I do NOT want to use it, let me turn it off.
gemma king

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:30 am

Always expect the best. If it's not, continue with your life. Don't let disappointments drag you down.
Chase McAbee

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:06 am

Why is everyone being so pessimistic?

1) It's an internet game forum

2) It's an internet game forum with a rather high percentage of "Morrowind was the best game ever and TES has been going downhill ever since" users.
Marlo Stanfield

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:08 am

Because Bethesda talked up Oblivion a hell of a lot and it turned out to be a big disappointment for a lot of people. It crapped all over the lore, had a bland and generic setting, had global level scaling which both negated the point of leveling and also led to ridiculous scenarios like bandits wearing armor more expensive than a house running up to you and demanding 50 gold coins, and its much vaunted Radiant AI turned out to be a crock, since they had to gut it so that it wouldn't break the game in stupid chain reactions of somebody stealing a loaf of bread and inadvertently causing the whole town to murder one another. If Shivering Isles hadn't been so great and if they hadn't improved on a lot of basic design tenets in Fallout 3 then I might not care about Skyrim at all.

But on that note lots of hardcoe old school fans are feeling betrayed because they're changing so much about it. Attributes, classes, and birthsigns are gone and however you may feel about it personally -- don't you dare start arguing about it here -- it has people worried about what else they're changing. Greaves are apparently being fused with cuirasses now, which were already fused with pauldrons in Oblivion, so people are upset about having potentially less personalization of their looks. The whole "none of this is scripted" Radiant AI fiasco has had people doubting everything gamesas in general and Todd Howard in particular are promising and it may continue to foster those doubts for some time to come.
Juan Suarez

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:19 am

I like to be realistic whenever possible.
Joe Bonney

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:43 am

Its the fans who got into the series early who dont want to see any change and want to play the same game over and over.

:facepalm:
If I wanted to play the same game over and over, I would. I already own the past games, so there's absolutely nothing standing in the way of me playing them over and over.

No - what it is, contrary to that typically sneering assessment (and all the others with which this thread is predictably laden), is people who were burnt by Oblivion and don't want to see another game in which there are that many changes for the worse. Change is fine - even welcome - IF it's change for the better. However, some changes (such as not merely the addition of quest markers and an all-knowing "journal" to Oblivion, but their use as a direct substitute for in-game information) are decidedly for the worse. Those who were disappointed by some of those changes in Oblivion (and even in Morrowind) are wary. We look at each change critically, because we never know when we're going to get another one like that.

If those who tend to criticize were critical of change in and of itself, you'd see them condemning town economies or NPCs who give directions or the carriage system or multiple quest-givers or dual wielding or torches as weapons or any of the other things that Beth has announced that sound like positive changes. They don't precisely because, again contrary to the sneers of the complainers about complainers, the point isn't simply to oppose change in toto, but to oppose negative changes - to seek to coerce and cajole Beth into putting out the best possible game, rather than just a meh game that's probably got a few more good things than bad things and is at least better than Oblivion.

Because Bethesda talked up Oblivion a hell of a lot and it turned out to be a big disappointment for a lot of people. It crapped all over the lore, had a bland and generic setting, had global level scaling which both negated the point of leveling and also led to ridiculous scenarios like bandits wearing armor more expensive than a house running up to you and demanding 50 gold coins, and its much vaunted Radiant AI turned out to be a crock, since they had to gut it so that it wouldn't break the game in stupid chain reactions of somebody stealing a loaf of bread and inadvertently causing the whole town to murder one another. If Shivering Isles hadn't been so great and if they hadn't improved on a lot of basic design tenets in Fallout 3 then I might not care about Skyrim at all.

But on that note lots of hardcoe old school fans are feeling betrayed because they're changing so much about it. Attributes, classes, and birthsigns are gone and however you may feel about it personally -- don't you dare start arguing about it here -- it has people worried about what else they're changing. Greaves are apparently being fused with cuirasses now, which were already fused with pauldrons in Oblivion, so people are upset about having potentially less personalization of their looks. The whole "none of this is scripted" Radiant AI fiasco has had people doubting everything gamesas in general and Todd Howard in particular are promising and it may continue to foster those doubts for some time to come.

And this.
Lisa

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah, it gets kind of annoying at times, I see alot of people on here thinking Skyrim will be ever more simplified than Oblivion, but to me it seems like we are getting more complexity, but in drasticly different ways. Which naturally will worry many people, change is scary in games as it can go very badly or really great. I think they did a lot of things badly in Oblivion, but learned from it and are now addressing those problems in creative ways, we won't know if they succeeded or not till we play Skyrim, but I have faith in thier abilities and will reserve judgement. Untill then we have to deal with fans that are concerned with every little detail because they are very passionate about what they consider great about TES games.
Adriana Lenzo

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:44 pm

Between optimistic or pessimistic I would rather take the middle road and be the realist. Instead choosing to look at the game by its own merits and what it has to offer and for the most part I have liked everything I have heard on Skyrim. Probably helps that I don't allow myself to be blinded by nostalgia and/or expecting a old style RPG which is such a loaded term to begin with.

And as I have said previously some criticism provided it is constuctive and within the realm of reality (possible to implement) is a good thing that the developers can learn from and use to improve future titles. Thus pleasing the more reasonable long term fans. Providing of course such criticism is well received for example biowares decision to strip down the inventory in ME2 after many complaints of what many saw as clutter and tedious in the first game, it depends really on what criticism they chose to address if a company acknowledges it at all.
Luna Lovegood

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:50 am

I think everyone is just getting antsy. Go on any game forum with a decent following and you'll see the same. Makes no since whatsoever, Especially
the Bioware forums :lol:

Flaming? Bioware Forums? never really noticed..... :confused:
Rik Douglas

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Flaming? Bioware Forums? never really noticed..... :confused:

There was alot when the devs for DA2 revealed that all vanilla romances were bisixual.
Dan Scott

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:31 am

Which just goes to show you how [censored]-up the priorities of the people who post on the Bioware forums are.

They also have those Tali threads which went up to several thousand pages, and were filled with people using SCIENCE! to prove that her briast milk gets you high and tastes like candy. :ermm:
Stryke Force

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:58 pm

I for one am just gonna enjoy the game the way it is when i get my hands on it. so far i think it looks great and will be a wonderful addition to my game library and the elder scrolls series as well.

P.S

Stormcall is by far my favorite dragonshout so far, and the new Clairvoyance spell looks interesting.
KiiSsez jdgaf Benzler

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:45 pm

If you're optimistic half the time you're proven right and the other half you're disappointed. If you're pessimistic half the time you're proven right and the other half you're pleasantly surprised.

Now, which would you prefer? ;)

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with discussing fears for a game on the forum that is specifically designed for such discussion. There is no forum rule that says "don't express concern or worry or negative vibes in your posts."

If you are so affected by the negativity on a forum about a game this may be a symptom of a larger psychological issue. :thumbsup:

Also, Skyrim is gonna be amazing, no matter how many little details are off, the overall experience will be unmatched in gaming.
Dan Stevens

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:51 am

Why is everyone pessimistic? Because carrots are weightless! The dragon priest lifts his robe at you! The giant ragdolls weirdly after the dragon drops him! No partying with dragons! The sword is both elven AND glass! The male player characters have pelvises that aren't fixed in place when they run! The game is RUINED! :ahhh:

(Did I miss any?)
Kortknee Bell

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 pm

its much vaunted Radiant AI turned out to be a crock, since they had to gut it so that it wouldn't break the game in stupid chain reactions of somebody stealing a loaf of bread and inadvertently causing the whole town to murder one another.

If I got a dime every time someone in these forums gave an example of how Radiant AI was gutted, I'd have a nickel.
Darren

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Personally I'm optimistic that Skyrim is going to be a very good game, one of the very best ever even. O f course there are things that I am concerned about but I have faith in Bethesda to do whats right by their game
Michelle Smith

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Why is everyone pessimistic? Because carrots are weightless! The dragon priest lifts his robe at you! The giant ragdolls weirdly after the dragon drops him! No partying with dragons! The sword is both elven AND glass! The male player characters have pelvises that aren't fixed in place when they run! The game is RUINED! :ahhh:

(Did I miss any?)

They're lucky they get to see a dragon pick up a person at all.
Stephanie Kemp

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim