Why is everyone being so pessimistic?

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Since i've gotten here all i've seen is people being pessimistic about Skyrim. I don't consider suggestions or speculation to pesssimistic, i'm actually talking about things like "I saw/heard such and such in a demo video and now i'm worried that such and such is going to happen." How come when you see something or hear the devs mention something you automatically expect the worst?

I honestly think Skyrim will be a fine game.

It sounds to me like people get pessimistic because they think the games are getting more and more streamlined.
I've been playing TES games since Morrowind but I can't see why these people get so worked up like they do.
Sure some old features are gone, who cares though? we'll get a few nice ones in replacement. Like good voice acting.
To me as long as Skyrim is an RPG that looks to be enjoyable and fun, but lives up to the old Elder Scrolls lore, then I'll buy it.
Anthony Santillan

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:26 am

What pessimistic? After seeing the prevailing trend from Daggerfall to Morrowind to Oblivion, that's "realistic."

"When in doubt, predict that the current trend will continue."

In time, I expect to see "TES VII: The FPS."

:rofl:
Sad but true.
Elisabete Gaspar

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:20 pm

To be perfectly honest, I am being pessimistic because Oblivion was just a bad game. It was an awful game. It did not hold a candle to Morrowind.

Im sure this is just my opinion though I could cite numerous reasons such as player skill meaning stuff instead of character skill

Oblivion, and I do not care about ratings, Oblivion, was a bad game period.
If it had not been elder scrolls it would be not worthy of a second look

And as we all know, your opinion is incontrovertible FACT while all others are falsehood. :slap:
BrEezy Baby

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:20 pm

I oppose most of what I oppose in Skyrim the way I do because I am someone who spent a lot of time debating politics. As such, if I know one policy (gameplay mechanic) was better in the past, but is getting changed for no good reason other than regime change (pseudo-streamlining that wasn't even needed) then the obvious response is to be against it being taken away and then proceed to not only voice why it shouldn't have been taken away, but to also propose ways in which it could be reimplemented given the new regime.

Hence my Classes topic where I don't only talk about why classes shouldn't have been removed, but also propose some ways where they could be reimplemented given Skyrims design direction.
Rachel Tyson

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:42 am

To be perfectly honest, I am being pessimistic because Oblivion was just a bad game. It was an awful game. It did not hold a candle to Morrowind.

Im sure this is just my opinion though I could cite numerous reasons such as player skill meaning stuff instead of character skill

Oblivion, and I do not care about ratings, Oblivion, was a bad game period.
If it had not been elder scrolls it would be not worthy of a second look

Yes, too bad ever since then they haven't made any expansion packs that was considered way better, or another game that nearly worked the same way, except improved in nearly all manner...
SiLa

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:37 pm

It reminds me of a kid in a candy store.If you cry enough you may get what you want.Also,with many companies "dumbing" down their games(Bioware),they may be rightfully paranoid.
Myles

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:09 am

It will be an amazing game.
Horror- Puppe

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:16 am

They promised a living world in which NPCs would dynamically choose things to do, participating in the economy and giving the world a sense of life. What we got was a few characters that hunted or raked leaves all day while 90% stood around staring at walls and talking about how much they detest local aquatic fauna.

You describe a difference between what is promised and what is delivered, and I thank you for it, but I think I am still lacking a dime. The difference you describe doesn't explain what caused the difference. I still do not know what the AI had before that it did not have at release. I still think that what was promised was delivered, even if what was hoped for was not.
YO MAma

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:06 pm

What people don't get, is the difference between gamers, and gamers that are fan of the series. Liking a videogame and liking a videogame series it's not the same thing.

Gamer: he/she likes games, whatever the features are, even if they're objectively bad than their predecessors. They just have to be, at least, fun.
Series-fan Gamer: he/she fell in love with the core elements of the series aka what make a series feel unique, and gets annoyed/angry when he/she sees them getting slowly removed/dumbed down. And no, if he/she's a person with a good IQ, he/she will love the improvements ( and Skyrim has improvements ).

I'm going to make a funny anology right now:
You get a girlfriend, and you love her. This girl is the nicest person in the world ( the core ), but she has a... small "chest" ( the rest ). But you don't care, why? Because you love her. Then, after two years, she starts acting like a b**** ( less core ), but her... chest is a lot bigger ( more to the rest ). While you may like the "rest", you soon realize that she's not the girl you love anymore, and you feel disappointed. A lot. ( no, the example it's only 25% "personal RL"-inspired )

What's funny, is that if Morrowind and Oblivion were a girl, Oblivion would be a bit of a b**** ( it still have the core elements ), but with a flat-as-a-board chest.

I always prefer the core over the rest. The latter becomes optional when the former is good . Fact is, it would be awesome to have both ( said by someone that had girlfriends with a good "rest" and a good "core", so yeah... I can say "I know how it feels when everything is good" ). I just hope that Skyrim will be not the final "busty b****" , but we will see that at November...

I can see people overreacting and calling me sixist for the example I made, lol.
JUan Martinez

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Mmmm saw someone say it's the same fans from the earlier games that don't want any change and want to play the same game over and over.

This is entirely TRUE.

I think Skyrim will be an amazing game.
W E I R D

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:46 pm

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItsvcks

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlezx89c5u5txaj

It's happened to Starcraft 2. Simultaneously.
IM NOT EASY

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:05 pm

There has been a lot of pessimistic threads the past 3 days. I really got sick of them. It seems that someone will always find something to complain about, and then they need to start a thread about it. I personally found no problems at all with part 1 or part 2 of the demo video.
Adrian Morales

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:26 am

I honestly feel that if skyim was made based on what all the pessimisitc people really wanted in the game, it would svck a**
Marnesia Steele

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:41 am

Because we care about the series.
Damned_Queen

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Since i've gotten here all i've seen is people being pessimistic about Skyrim. I don't consider suggestions or speculation to pesssimistic, i'm actually talking about things like "I saw/heard such and such in a demo video and now i'm worried that such and such is going to happen." How come when you see something or hear the devs mention something you automatically expect the worst?

That's just a way to start a discussion, it's not being pessimistic to want to discuss about specific things we may be worried about. Although I agree some are a bit too pessimistic, but that's only a very little number of posters, imo.

Also, let's not forget this is the "Skyrim General Discussion" board, not the "Skyrim General Praise" or "Skyrim General Whining" boards, so you're bound to find a little of both in here.
Camden Unglesbee

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:59 am

What people don't get, is the difference between gamers, and gamers that are fan of the series. Liking a videogame and liking a videogame series it's not the same thing.

Gamer: he/she likes games, whatever the features are, even if they're objectively bad than their predecessors. They just have to be, at least, fun.
Series-fan Gamer: he/she fell in love with the core elements of the series aka what make a series feel unique, and gets annoyed/angry when he/she sees them getting slowly removed/dumbed down. And no, if he/she's a person with a good IQ, he/she will love the improvements ( and Skyrim has improvements ).

I'm going to make a funny anology right now:
You get a girlfriend, and you love her. This girl is the nicest person in the world ( the core ), but she has a... small "chest" ( the rest ). But you don't care, why? Because you love her. Then, after two years, she starts acting like a b**** ( less core ), but her... chest is a lot bigger ( more to the rest ). While you may like the "rest", you soon realize that she's not the girl you love anymore, and you feel disappointed. A lot. ( no, the example it's only 25% "personal RL"-inspired )

What's funny, is that if Morrowind and Oblivion were a girl, Oblivion would be a bit of a b**** ( it still have the core elements ), but with a flat-as-a-board chest.

I always prefer the core over the rest. The latter becomes optional when the former is good . Fact is, it would be awesome to have both ( said by someone that had girlfriends with a good "rest" and a good "core", so yeah... I can say "I know how it feels when everything is good" ). I just hope that Skyrim will be not the final "busty b****" , but we will see that at November...

I can see people overreacting and calling me sixist for the example I made, lol.

Awesome anology. This explains it perfectly.
Tikarma Vodicka-McPherson

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:18 pm

One word:

OBLIVION

That failure is enough for me to be skeptical of Skyrim. The GPS compass I saw in the demos during E3 is another reason to be skeptical. All the things that have been removed so far is yet another reason.

There is plenty to be skeptical about.
K J S

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:47 am

Honestly as long as I have fun playing Skyrim I don't care what they do.
Soph

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:55 am

if you expect the dog to bite you, youre gonna be happy when all he does is pee on your shoes.
Alyce Argabright

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:51 am

If I see something I dislike about the game, I'm going to say so. That doesn't make me pessimistic, though.

There are things I like, things I'm indifferent about and things I don't like.
Helen Quill

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:01 am

Some posts I've made on this topic:

It's because people here have the mistaken belief that they're better than people who play Fable or Dragon Age. I don't really care one way or the other if marriage is in the game but remember that whatever we say here on the forums is ultimately pointless. Even if you start a thread with a poll like every other poster on the boards asking "wouldn't it be cool if your character could wear mismatched socks?" and a thousand people respond to it it has absolutely no bearing on what will actually be in the game when it ships. We're a hundred-something days from ship date, people, all that's left for them to do is bug-test and polish. In this thread and every one like it it's just the bleating of sheep who like to whine about every little thing. Again, it's not as if this is unique. There's just as much whining over at the Bioware boards where the posters have the mistaken belief that they're better than people who play Oblivion or Call of Duty. It's funny just how similar the two groups of elitist babies are.

What a bunch of crybabies.

Bethesda, how you coming on that game you're working on? Got a big filled-up disk there? Got a nice little story you're working on there? Your big game you've been working on for three years? Got a compelling protagonist? Yeah? Got an obstacle for him to overcome? Got a story brewing there? Working on that for quite some time, huh? Yeah, talking about that three years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle and end? Some friends become enemies and some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah, yeah?

No no you deserve some time off.

OK the last of those three posts isn't really relevant. But yeah, the first of my quoted posts? Read it again. Entitled prats whine on every game forum. This one isn't unique.
Sabrina Schwarz

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:31 pm

One word:

OBLIVION

That failure is enough for me to be skeptical of Skyrim. The GPS compass I saw in the demos during E3 is another reason to be skeptical. All the things that have been removed so far is yet another reason.

There is plenty to be skeptical about.

Actually Oblivion wasnt a failure, not sure what your problem is. This guy sounds like the biggest pessimist here.
Jessie Rae Brouillette

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:04 am

Haters gonna Hate
NAkeshIa BENNETT

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:48 pm

I honestly feel that if skyim was made based on what all the pessimisitc people really wanted in the game, it would svck a**

Part of the reason we're posting all these things is to provide feedback on the info that's been released so far. A strong community reaction for or against something can in theory affect the end product, as there are five more months before the game is released.

These complaints, no matter how small or big, are for the most part because we all want Skyrim to be the best product it can be, just like the developers do.
Jeneene Hunte

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:04 pm

I think we have all rights to be pessimistic and worry. Many game series let us down nowadays and it feels like the majority of them just wants your money. Pray that Skyrim wont dissapoint us (too) much. Unfortuantely I guess nostalgia makes it impossible to NOT dissapoint people.
Mr.Broom30

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim